PDA

View Full Version : Is the ULA Ohm 2.0 right for me?

oreocereus
12-27-2016, 04:14
Howdy. I was close to purchasing the ULA Circuit, but I was offered a really good price the Ohm 2.0. I'm pretty new to UL, so had felt the circuit was a better transition bag (+ I also plan to travel overseas with this bag, for which I understood the Circuit to be a better choice for).
This is my overseas travel packlist: https://lighterpack.com/r/emvths
I think i would fit everything in the Ohm 2.0 fine, but am wary that with food I might be carrying too much weight in it? I'm also concerned about how well the Ohm 2.0 might travel on a plane. As the frame isn't really strong enough to withstood being thrown around in the back of a plane/bus/underneath other bags, I'd have to keep it on me - and it might be tricky to slip through as carry on.
Any thoughts? Are there any other options I should be looking at? My budget isn't really high enough for anything full priced.

map man
12-27-2016, 09:09
I can't speak to the question of airline travel, but I do use an Ohm 2.0. I have found the ULA recommendations on weight capacity to be exactly right: carries 25 pounds or less wonderfully; can carry 25-30 pounds with a bit of an increase in discomfort (straps digging into your shoulders); should not be used to carry 30 pounds or more. On one occasion I have carried eight days of food with it and that pushed my weight up to 32 pounds walking out of the NOC. The first three days (until I got the weight down to around 27 pounds) were definitely uncomfortable.

Dogwood
12-27-2016, 10:48
What do you intend to do traveling overseas? RU just going to hike, travel/ bebop through towns etc. Do you want to keep you pack with you on flights or are anticipating checking it in?

You said you're new to UL. Does that include disrespecting or being tough on your gear?

colorado_rob
12-27-2016, 11:07
Agree with mapman, the ULA quoted weight recommendations are right on, so I'd say you're right on the edge with your baseweight, however, your baseweight includes a 3-pound pack, and the OHM is 1lb-11oz (if you remove the silly extra things), so maybe you're OK. I love my OHM, and my wife loves hers as well. By the way, the Circuit is not any larger. When I bought my OHM, and on the advice of the ULA guy (Chris?), I also bought a circuit to compare side by side, with the plan on returning the one I didn't want. So I packed the two side by side identically, and the total kit fit identically in both. I returned the circuit; a fine pack, but the lighter OHM carried the kit perfectly comfortable (I loaded both to exactly 25 pounds).

Looking back, I've gone on a total of 8 trips with my OHM that involved flying, checking it all 16 times. There seems to be some persistent fear of checking bags, having flown maybe a total of something like a thousand times in my life (for a few years, I flew once a week, almost always checking a bag) and never losing a bag, and only having a bag delayed twice (that I can remember...), I just plain think this is a fear born out of inexperience and fairy tales.

Attached are two pics on how I currently prepare my OHM for checking, note that I snap the waistbelt around the front of the pack, and clip the sternum strap around the front as well, keeping the pack nice and compact with no straps hanging loose.

The first pic shows the "front" of the pack (the side away from your back) with the straps clipped like I'm saying. The 2nd pic shows the "back" of the pack, the side that faces your back. Note the "DEN" bag claim tag.

I do carry on my three most critical items; my UL tent, UL bag and my outer shell, plus I always wear my hiking shoes on the plane. Even though I've never lost a bag, we're talking over a thousand bucks worth of stuff in those 4 items, and I figure one of these days....

ScareBear
12-27-2016, 12:42
The only fear I have with checking a backpack is if it utilizes a wire frame as part of its frame system(e.g. REI Flash 62). Otherwise, wrap duct tape around the shoulder straps to pin them to the pack so they don't get ripped off and nobody goes diving into your pack...wrap your hip belt BACKWARDS around the pack and secure as well....YMMV....

ScareBear
12-27-2016, 12:46
Or just get one of these and be done with it!! LOL!!! Didn't Zpacks used to make some type of cover with a handle?

http://www.target.com/p/jl-childress-gate-check-bag-for-single-double-strollers/-/A-12403813?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Baby+Shopping&adgroup=SC_Baby&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9022290&gclid=CLXI6vfolNECFYK4wAod_zsPEQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

MuddyWaters
12-27-2016, 14:14
as well. By the way, the Circuit is not any larger. When I bought my OHM, and on the advice of the ULA guy (Chris?), I also bought a circuit to compare side by side, with the plan on returning the one I didn't want. So I packed the two side by side identically, and the total kit fit identically in both. I returned the circuit; a fine pack, but the lighter OHM carried the kit perfectly comfortable (I loaded both to exactly 25 pounds).

Mine is older, but is technically smaller . The stretchy mesh made the difference on the ohm, letting it carry same as my circuit, but I think they cant get that any more starting a yr or so ago.

oreocereus
12-27-2016, 14:51
I can't speak to the question of airline travel, but I do use an Ohm 2.0. I have found the ULA recommendations on weight capacity to be exactly right: carries 25 pounds or less wonderfully; can carry 25-30 pounds with a bit of an increase in discomfort (straps digging into you shoulders); should not be used to carry 30 pounds or more. On one occasion I have carried eight days of food with it and that pushed my weight up to 32 pounds walking out of the NOC. The first three days (until I got the weight down to around 27 pounds) were definitely uncomfortable.
Alright, that's good to know. I haven't reallly dialled in how I do my food, so I probably need to start paying more attention to that.

What do you intend to do traveling overseas? RU just going to hike, travel/ bebop through towns etc. Do you want to keep you pack with you on flights or are anticipating checking it in?

You said you're new to UL. Does that include disrespecting or being tough on your gear?

Both of those things. Though I travel pretty rough, on the bones of my ass, hitchhiking most places etc.

And keeping the bag on me with the flight would be nice, but if whatever pack I end up with is fine being checked, I'm not too worried about that either.

I try not to be too tough on my gear, but I probably am:p

Agree with mapman, the ULA quoted weight recommendations are right on, so I'd say you're right on the edge with your baseweight, however, your baseweight includes a 3-pound pack, and the OHM is 1lb-11oz (if you remove the silly extra things), so maybe you're OK. I love my OHM, and my wife loves hers as well. By the way, the Circuit is not any larger. When I bought my OHM, and on the advice of the ULA guy (Chris?), I also bought a circuit to compare side by side, with the plan on returning the one I didn't want. So I packed the two side by side identically, and the total kit fit identically in both. I returned the circuit; a fine pack, but the lighter OHM carried the kit perfectly comfortable (I loaded both to exactly 25 pounds).Good to know - yeah my pack weight was an overestimation from before I started looking into packs. But I'm going on a trip today with my old, overweight pack and not looking forward to that part, so it's time to address it hah.

And thanks for the peace of mind on travelling with the Ohm. Makes my focus more of a weight one again.

Rex Clifton
01-05-2017, 20:54
I've had the Ohm and have the GG Gorilla, and much prefer the Gorilla. I've also had the GG Mariposa and have the Circuit, and much prefer the Circuit. Go figure! To answer your question, I think the Circuit would be a better bet for travel since it bigger and can carry more weight. Even if you don't fill it up at first, you have to figure you will buy stuff while abroad.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

gbolt
01-05-2017, 22:53
The Circuit and Ohm are very close to the same size as far as hip pocket capacity, stretchy pocket and internal capacity. The Circuit has a roll top and buckle system versus the Ohm's pull string and strap. The Circuit is for weights over 30+, while the Ohm is 25-. But best of all is that Shug Emery just did a video comparing three ULA Packs. Go view it and it will give you great visual perspective to help you reach a decision.

oreocereus
01-06-2017, 19:03
Cheers guys. Yeah I think the Ohm would be a perfect pack for me for my general hiking, but at this point in life I can't afford to have multiple packs for different purposes, so I'll be considering somtehing with a slightly higher weight capacity (e.g. circuit).

wiel
01-06-2017, 21:15
Oreo,
I think you'll be happy with the Ohm 2, the Ohm has worked great for me with similar loads. Take a look at Shugs entertaining rcompairson of his ULA packs: https://youtu.be/9L2Fbe1EviA