PDA

View Full Version : Hostel Situation in Monson ME for 2006

wyclif
01-19-2006, 00:45
I heard from another hiker today that not only is Shaw's up for sale, but The Pie Lady is also no longer providing hostelry in Monson.

My question is twofold:

1. Any plans for hiker-friendly people to buy Shaw's as a business?

2. In lieu of the above services, where are other NOBOs planning to rest and resupply in Monson this year before they embark on the 100 Mile Wilderness?

veteran
01-19-2006, 02:10
Try this place

Lakeshore House
Jeff and Rebekah Santagata, proprieters
Lodging & laudromat services
9 Tenney Hill Rd
Monson ME 04464
Telephone: 207-997-7069
E-mail: [email protected]
Web: http://www.lakeshore-house.com

attroll
01-19-2006, 02:25
The Pie Lady's place has been up for sale for a while now. I have not heard about Shaws. I told to Kieth Jr. this last September and they closed the house accross the street so he could move into it with his family. We talked for a while and he never said anything about selling. I may have to call him back up.

TJ aka Teej
01-19-2006, 08:30
Shaw's is for sale, $295,000. Pat's going out west to live, and Keith Jr is getting a 'real' job now that he's married.
Pie Lady's is sold and is now a private residence. She's living up in Greenville but still has her phone number listed for shuttles.
Lindy, who opened Trail Magic Massage a few years back and took in work-for-stay hikers, had no plans to run a hostel again when I talked with her last.
As Veteran reports, Lake Shore House has new owners.

Almost There
01-19-2006, 10:18
Maybe this isn't the greatest of years to thru hike Maine!

Israel
01-19-2006, 10:24
It would be cool if Shaw's could be bought and then set up a couple that are former thru-hikers that would act as caretakers. Anyone know how much land Shaw's is on? Is it listed with a real estate agent?

Almost There
01-19-2006, 10:30
Go to their website, I believe it is a Century 21 agent. If Keith moved into the house across the street, does that mean that the lot is no longer available for tenters? If that is the case then it really cuts down on land available for people. Almost makes the price begin to look a little steep, but we can hope that someone trys to keep tradition alive, heck, the advertising is already there.

Israel
01-19-2006, 10:50
http://www.c21muzzy.com/PDFs/PDFfile.pdf?1940-777734

Israel
01-19-2006, 10:50
looked nice until i saw all the snow!! :D

The Solemates
01-19-2006, 11:23
thanks for posting the link. ive been looking for one.

weary
01-19-2006, 16:13
Maybe this isn't the greatest of years to thru hike Maine!
It's an easy four mile hitch from "downtown" Monson to the AT crossing on Route 15, and an easy 3-mile walk to the nearest leanto.

I did both in 1991 when I hiked Maine with a 9-year-old. I met Keith that fall a few weeks later in Baxter Park. He gave me a ride from the ABol TRail head to Katahdin Stream. As we chatted, it dawned on him who I was.

"Oh," he said, "You're the guy who didn't stay with us last summer."

I explained, that we had hung around town for hours, waiting for my wife to bring new sneakers for my grandson and wanted to get back into the woods.

"That's okay then," Keith said.

Weary

walkin' wally
01-19-2006, 18:44
In a related real estate topic the store at the north end of Monson is for sale also.

wyclif
01-19-2006, 20:20
I really hope some hiker family buys Shaw's. It would be awesome if the new owner provided the same services.

attroll
01-20-2006, 03:06
I really hope some hiker family buys Shaw's. It would be awesome if the new owner provided the same services.

If everyone on this site would sent me $50 to $100 then that would be enough for me to buy the place and I would keep it open. The wife and I have been looking for a hostel but just can not find the funds for it. So what does everyone say? LOL

Marta
01-20-2006, 08:15
If everyone on this site would sent me $50 to $100 then that would be enough for me to buy the place and I would keep it open. The wife and I have been looking for a hostel but just can not find the funds for it. So what does everyone say? LOL

It would work for me. Especially if the "Investors" get to stay there for free a couple of times.

Israel
01-20-2006, 09:24
In a related real estate topic the store at the north end of Monson is for sale also.

Heck,
let's just buy up the town and rename it "Trailtown" or "Trailstop" or "Resupply." :D

Kind of like how the libertarians are wanting to repopulate NH, we can make Monson the first Thru-hiker only town! :D :D :D I can only imagine the city council meetings....lol.

Almost There
01-20-2006, 10:31
Heck a few families can go in together, still enough rooms left for a hostel and you could have a hiker commune!!!:D

Shutterbug
01-20-2006, 13:38

Sometimes people appear to be joking when they are really serious. If you are serious, and would use a "charitable organization" to buy Shaws place (so that donations will be tax deductable), I will chip in the first $1,000. I think it would be great if "WhiteBlaze" bought Shaws and hired you to run it.

attroll
01-20-2006, 13:49
Sometimes people appear to be joking when they are really serious. If you are serious, and would use a "charitable organization" to buy Shaws place (so that donations will be tax deductable), I will chip in the first $1,000. I think it would be great if "WhiteBlaze" bought Shaws and hired you to run it.

I was serious. If I could get enough I would do that. It may have come across as a joke but in all reality I would if we could get enough money together. I would love to see that establishment stay open. It is legendary and famous and very well known in the hiking community. I would like to carry on that tradition for the Shaws.

Almost There
01-20-2006, 14:43
Go for it Troll, if I didn't have a 3lb dog I was gonna try to do something similiar but I don't think my wife's dog would survive the Maine winter!

Alligator
01-20-2006, 16:45
Go for it Troll, if I didn't have a 3lb dog I was gonna try to do something similiar but I don't think my wife's dog would survive the Maine winter!
It's not the winter that would get it. A fox or coyote would:eek: . My landlord went through 19 cats in 20 years before she kept the cat inside. I know, slow learning curve.

CreakyBonze
01-20-2006, 17:05
Set up the foundation, the donations will pour in. You set it up, I'm in for the second thousand.

icemanat95
01-20-2006, 17:28
Get enough other investors and I'd be glad to toss in some money. I could probably get a couple hundred to begin with and add funds on an annual basis.

Here's another idea...if we could come up with enough money for a good start, what's the possibility of getting MATC, ATC or someone else to help out as well to create a northern AT facility with a minimal administrative presence, primarily catering to outdoor recreation folks? Hikers in the Summer and Early Fall, maybe hunters in the Autumn, Skiers, snowmobilers and snowmobilers in the Winter and Early Spring, then maybe fishermen in the late Spring and then back into hiking season.

You wouldn't need 295,000 to buy it either, I'd bet they would let it go for 250,000, and if it langushes long enough, probably quite a bit less. I'd bet there really isn't that much call for houses in that range up there.

Make it a co-op if you have to, with investors receiving an annual dividend from profits (if any), or get it incorporated as a non-profit and ensure that any profits generated after all costs gets run back into the facility to improve it and its services.

You could offer caretaker opportunities (such as Upper Goose Pond Cabin has) allowing people to come in and help out as caretakers for periods of time, a week's worth of work being traded for staging, shuttles etc. for a week or three's vacation on the trail. This would also allow the owner/operator to take some vacation time as well. I'd bet a lot of us would love to come up and trade some work time for vacation time...

The trick with a work for stay/caretaker option is that you would have to divie out slots carefully so that too many coop members were not taking up paying slots...the place has got to be able to generate income to pay the mortgage, and that's tricky as well since the mortgage on something like this could be VERY high...2K a month if you have to finance too much.

Getting grants would involve setting up educational facilities like a museum or a valuable service, research opportunities, etc.

I think it is an attractive opportunity to take a piece of trail hitory and convert it into a protected landmark for the trail and a staging location for trail adventures throughout that section in Maine. It could also serve as a low-impact alternative to the new AMC facilities, staging small training programs (such as winter hiking programs) out of a low impact location. There's a lot that could be done and done well from that location. Build a business plan/operations proposal and start shopping it here, to ALDHA, Backpacking Light, etc. and try to build some critical mass. Talk to Keith Jr. and tell him what you are proposing to do, he may be willing to give the project preference over other options. This bears serious discussion and consideration.

TJ aka Teej
01-20-2006, 18:15
If everyone on this site would sent me $50 to $100 then that would be enough for me to buy the place and I would keep it open.

I pledge $100, and two or three weeks of volunteering too, Rick!
One condition - ya gotta call it the WhiteBlaze.net Hostel! :D

weary
01-20-2006, 18:54
No worry. We have all kinds of little dogs in Maine. Actually we like to exaggerate Maine weather conditions. It's a ploy to send the summer complaints south so we have some free time.

Don't tell anyone, but this winter's been so mild I haven't had enough snow to slide in a few rough-sawn planks for the construction of some bog bridges next spring.

Almost There
01-20-2006, 19:30
Weary,

Originally from Chicago area, and trust me, any snow and my dogs are good for about 5 minutes outside, somehow I gotta think you get as much snow and cold in Maine as we did in Chi-town. They used to go outside and then come right in and pee, since moving south...no problems with that. If they're used to it, they're fine, but mine are no longer winter dogs, unfortunately, as I do miss snow, etc.

Sly
01-20-2006, 20:01
I'm in.

Anyone know if Keith Jr and Pat be running it as a hostel until sold?

WalkinHome
01-20-2006, 20:08
I'm in for some dough Troll. Thanks for the good works.

Miss Janet
01-20-2006, 20:20
I think it sounds like a great idea!

Lord knows, I don't have a 1,000 to be a contributer but I will come up and work for stay July and August. I was always envious of that kitchen. I could introduce those poor Mainers to Gravy and Biscuits!!

Cookerhiker
01-20-2006, 20:36
After the initial hand-wringing over thge news about Shaw's, I envisioned a number of WBers and AT afficianados pooling their $$$ to form a limited partnership to buy Shaws and run it as a co-op. 60 of us investing $5,000, 100 investing $3,000 - whatever works. I agree that maybe we can offer a lower price. We owners would sign up to play innkeeper for a week or two.

I'm a CPA - I can keep the books! I also like cooking breakfast and would be thrilled to spend 1-2 weeks hosting.

Troll, Iceman, is this close to what you had in mind?

TJ aka Teej
01-20-2006, 22:21
Anyone know if Keith Jr and Pat be running it as a hostel until sold?

Nope, they're done. I don't think they even bought a license for this year.

TJ aka Teej
01-20-2006, 22:22
I could introduce those poor Mainers to Gravy and Biscuits!!
So long as you leave the grits home! :D

Footslogger
01-20-2006, 22:29
I think it sounds like a great idea!

Lord knows, I don't have a 1,000 to be a contributer but I will come up and work for stay July and August. I was always envious of that kitchen. I could introduce those poor Mainers to Gravy and Biscuits!!
==================================
Now THAT's music to my ears. Haven't had a good plate of biscuits and gravy since I moved to Wyoming. Better yet ...we're headed for Monson this July. Hope to see you there Miss Janet.

'Slogger

weary
01-20-2006, 22:30
So long as I don't have to actually eat those biscuits and gravy, like Keith insisted I eat four eggs for breakfast.

colbys
01-20-2006, 22:37
i dont have much to give,but whatever i can afford,count me in!! shaws should be preserved in some way(hostel,co-op,whatever else.) id love to come up and help out,be a great excuse to get outta here in the summer.
man this could work,nothing but people wanting to help,this is what its all about!!

drsukie
01-20-2006, 23:29

You can't mean to leave the cheese grits with grilled shrimp at home? :)

attroll
01-21-2006, 01:14
After the initial hand-wringing over thge news about Shaw's, I envisioned a number of WBers and AT afficianados pooling their $$$ to form a limited partnership to buy Shaws and run it as a co-op. 60 of us investing $5,000, 100 investing $3,000 - whatever works. I agree that maybe we can offer a lower price. We owners would sign up to play innkeeper for a week or two.

I'm a CPA - I can keep the books! I also like cooking breakfast and would be thrilled to spend 1-2 weeks hosting.

Troll, Iceman, is this close to what you had in mind?

wbdent Well if people are going to take this serious then I can start some kind of fund. So far we have over $3,000 promised. I have started a list of name and amounts one a piece of paper. If we can really get this going I will look into this if we get more interested in helping.

wbdent As far a iceman saying making it a co-op. If I was going to organize this and buy it in the name of WhiteBlaze then I would quite my job and move full time to Monson to run the place with my wife. I would even consider selling the house I have now and use the equity towards the pot. As for offering a caretaker like you mentioned. That is a good idea and has I am sure your intentions are good. But I don’t think that the down home feeling you get when your there would continue if you had a different caretaker every year. I think one family should move in and operate it just like the Shaw’s did.

Lone Wolf
01-21-2006, 08:23
295 grand is too much. Get the price down and I'll get involved.

MarcnNJ
01-21-2006, 10:57
I agree 295K is too much....If I wasnt hiking this year, Id look into buying it......Depending on what you guys drum up, I would be interested in becoming an investor.......

weary
01-21-2006, 11:22
I could probably spring for a thousand if the project were set up wisely, though plan on letting me know a couple of months in advance. My cash flow is pretty marginal, and I still owe sizeable pledges to the Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust and the Phippsburg Land Trust.

I've found this giving of money for things that will surely outlast me is increasingly both addictive and pleasurable. More people should try it.

Weary www.matlt.org

Miss Janet
01-21-2006, 12:49
I thought about this a lot last night and here are some random thoughts and questions I feel you should be looking at before you continue dreaming...
*It does sound very high for only .23 acres... and an older structure that needs a lot of improvements and maintainence. It sounds to me like they are really banking on it being sold as a business not just commercial property.

*The small lot size means no parking and no tenting at all. That would change the nature of the business you could run there. Remember... the hiking business is NOT the only customers Shaws catered to. Many other customers will have cars and often trailers for snowmobiles.

*Also, make sure that the fixtures and appliances and furniture all go with the buyer. If you are starting over from scratch on equipping the place to run it as the Shaws did you are looking at a huge capital outlay.

* Often when an established business does not meet certain requirement that a new business, that does exactly the same things, will be required to, it is because they have been "grandfathered in"... but as soon as they sell; the new owner has to bring everything up to the current codes and regulations. Make sure that the business would be "grandfathered in" as far as local and state codes. BIG $$ if you had to put in a sprinkler system, etc... I think that a call to the local building inspecter, fire marshall, and business office would answer a lot of questions.

* I think you would have a great shot at running a fun and interesting place there. I think it might be a mistake to think that it would be just like Keith Shaw's. Thirty years of experiences and the characters involved made Shaw's Boarding House. You and your wife would bring a new personality and new ways of doing things to the place. That would be a combination of the old and the new and it would be a good thing.

* Talk to Keith Jr. or Pat and see if they would let you look at their books. You might be very surprised how much it costs to run such a big place... Property Taxes, Sales Taxes, City and county and state and federal taxes... and insurance, water, electricity and heating, groceries... LOTS of groceries!, paper products... LOTS of paper products! and a lot more that you might not realize. I am also assuming that the Shaws had some retirement income that might have helped balance the books sometimes.

These are just some thoughts I have been mulling.

Jack Tarlin
01-21-2006, 13:09
I think Janet's post is very wise and raises some excellent points.

LEGS
01-21-2006, 14:50
Any Year Is A Good Year To Hike Maine!!!!

attroll
01-21-2006, 21:40
Miss Janet

I had already called and talked to Pat Shaw before you had made your post today. We talked for a long time. Your right in one respect though. They are planning on selling it as a business. She is hoping it will sell before hiker season rolls around this year. The realtor has received about 6 called from ex-hikers about the place. But nothing serious so far. She did say they will not be opening for hikers at all this season. She was not happy that she had to make that decision she said. But Keith Jr. being married with three children was not able to keep on helping her any longer. Last year Keith and his wife helped keep the place going but it was a lot for Keith with doing that and trying to raise three children. So Keith decided he could no longer continue running the place.

*It does sound very high for only .23 acres... and an older structure that needs a lot of improvements and maintenance. It sounds to me like they are really banking on it being sold as a business not just commercial property.

I feel the price is high also. I think they are banking on selling it thinking someone will jump on it real quick before hiker season gets going to put it back up and operating. I don’t know how much they are willing to go down. I did not get into that with Pat. She wants all the money to be discussed with the realtor.

*Also, make sure that the fixtures and appliances and furniture all go with the buyer. If you are starting over from scratch on equipping the place to run it as the Shaws did you are looking at a huge capital outlay.

Yes I discussed this with her and all the important stuff with stay that is needed to run the place as a hostel.

*The small lot size means no parking and no tenting at all. That would change the nature of the business you could run there. Remember... the hiking business is NOT the only customers Shaws catered to. Many other customers will have cars and often trailers for snowmobiles.

Pat said that they did not caterer much to snowmobilers, but it was an option she and her late husband had discussed. The hunters that they had are no longer using them; I gather that they haven’t been for the last few years. I know I could bring the snowmobilers in seeing that I am very much into the snowmobiling community here in Maine and know a lot of snowmobilers myself. I just recently started a Maine Snowmobile web site similar to WhiteBlaze that is slowing starting to take of and that would help.

* Often when an established business does not meet certain requirement that a new business, that does exactly the same things, will be required to, it is because they have been "grandfathered in"... but as soon as they sell; the new owner has to bring everything up to the current codes and regulations. Make sure that the business would be "grandfathered in" as far as local and state codes. BIG $$ if you had to put in a sprinkler system, etc... I think that a call to the local building inspecter, fire marshall, and business office would answer a lot of questions.

I understand exactly what you mean here. When we looked at Pines Ellis B&B this was one of the reasons we stopped looking at it other then we thought the price was too high. They were selling it as a residence and to re-establish it as a B&B we would not have been grandfathered and it would have cost an arm and a leg to bring everything up to code. So this would also have to be looked into for Shaw’s also.

* I think you would have a great shot at running a fun and interesting place there. I think it might be a mistake to think that it would be just like Keith Shaw's. Thirty years of experiences and the characters involved made Shaw's Boarding House. You and your wife would bring a new personality and new ways of doing things to the place. That would be a combination of the old and the new and it would be a good thing.

Having a great shot at running this would be a dream of a lifetime. The wife and I have been looking at other hostels in Maine that have been selling or up for sale and just like I mentioned in the previous paragraph they are not all up to code and need to much work. But I really don’t think that would be the case with Shaw’s, but I would have to go look at it first hand to find out. But getting the funds to even think about getting the place was an issue in the first place for us. Getting enough funds to get the place through donations or a funding raising campaign to keep it in operation and keeping it in the Appalachian Trail hiking community is a very big dream that I am not holding my breathe on. I only mentioned it to see if there was interest and how many people might be interested in helping out. So far I have $10,000 promised to help towards getting the place. That leaves $285,000 more to come up with. As said I would love to get this all together if there is a possibility of it happening and would love more then anything to run the place.

Also we know that we could never have the same place that Pat and Keith ran, No two people are the same. But we would give it one heck and a shot and do our best. If anyone has ever met my wife then you all know that she is one heck of a cook and loves to cook. So that is one thing we have going for us in that respect.

Thank you for all your inputs Miss Janet. If you have more keep them coming for me and all others that may be interested.

colbys
01-21-2006, 21:51
well i dont have 285,000 to donate,but in my trips to virginia to play lotto south and mega millions,if it hit the lotto then ill pay for the rest of the money and attroll can own it.id give it to him.thats how important shaws means to me and the at community...im dead serious...
heys its saturday night,drawing at 11pm....gotta run!!

wyclif
01-22-2006, 08:25
After the initial hand-wringing over the news about Shaw's, I envisioned a number of WBers and AT afficianados pooling their $$$ to form a limited partnership to buy Shaws and run it as a co-op. 60 of us investing $5,000, 100 investing $3,000 - whatever works.

I'm pretty sure everybody on WB would be overjoyed if Shaw's opens again under any management.

However, I think other options besides co-op should be considered seriously. I'm a member of a natural foods co-op and I think the concept works, economically and organizationally speaking, for certain services.

I'm not sure it would work so well for a hiker hostel. Why? Large boards, lots of cooks in the kitchen, literally and proverbially...go to a co-op in your town, any co-op, and look at how heavy and bureaucratic the decision making process is because 25-50 people are voting.

Another issue is uniformity of quality. Co-oping a hostel means different people will end up running it depending on what time of the year it is, and I think most people here are smart enough to draw the logical conclusions.

It might be a good idea to try to seek private investors from the AT community, with one family running Shaw's again. I think that scenario has the best chance of success despite the numbers crunching involved.

Tim Seaver
01-22-2006, 12:57
I think it would be fantastic for the Shaw's to be taken over by a true-blue hiker type. I didn't experience Monson as a thru-hiker ( I was shooting on speculation for Backpacker Mag.), but spent a fascinating weekend there photographing and talking with the cast of characters that make up the town.
It's sad to hear that the semi-friendly rivalry for the thru-hiker's buck is not quite going to be the same without Keith Junior ( The "Hiker Hunter") and the Pie Lady taking good natured pot-shots at each other :)

Here's to the Shaw's legacy, may it continue!

attroll
01-22-2006, 12:58
I'm pretty sure everybody on WB would be overjoyed if Shaw's opens again under any management.

However, I think other options besides co-op should be considered seriously. I'm a member of a natural foods co-op and I think the concept works, economically and organizationally speaking, for certain services.

I'm not sure it would work so well for a hiker hostel. Why? Large boards, lots of cooks in the kitchen, literally and proverbially...go to a co-op in your town, any co-op, and look at how heavy and bureaucratic the decision making process is because 25-50 people are voting.

Another issue is uniformity of quality. Co-oping a hostel means different people will end up running it depending on what time of the year it is, and I think most people here are smart enough to draw the logical conclusions.

It might be a good idea to try to seek private investors from the AT community, with one family running Shaw's again. I think that scenario has the best chance of success despite the numbers crunching involved.

Yes I agree with you 100%. I do not think cooping a hostel would be a good idea at all. You would have to many hands in the fire. The idea was to get enough money and purchase it and keep it open for hikers and keep the tradition going and keep it in the trail community. It started out as just me throwing the idea out there and not thinking anyone would take it serious and help. I was serious though. When some others were serious and also took interest then I looked into it by calling Pat Shaw and talking to her. It would take a lot of donations to purchase the place. I am not holding my breath but if we could get enough commitments to make it worth while I would start a fund and campaign of some type.

weary
01-22-2006, 14:14
Yes I agree with you 100%. I do not think cooping a hostel would be a good idea at all. You would have to many hands in the fire. The idea was to get enough money and purchase it and keep it open for hikers and keep the tradition going and keep it in the trail community. It started out as just me throwing the idea out there and not thinking anyone would take it serious and help. I was serious though. When some others were serious and also took interest then I looked into it by calling Pat Shaw and talking to her. It would take a lot of donations to purchase the place. I am not holding my breath but if we could get enough commitments to make it worth while I would start a fund and campaign of some type.
If it is to be purchased through donations, it needs to be set up as a nonprofit corporation with a board of directors, and some public purpose that would permit donors to take tax deductions.

attroll
01-22-2006, 14:51
If it is to be purchased through donations, it needs to be set up as a nonprofit corporation with a board of directors, and some public purpose that would permit donors to take tax deductions.

This can be done. But we need to make sure we have a significant amount of money before I will even take on this project.

FLETCH6
01-22-2006, 16:00
:banana Could be Bill Erwin might be interested.

warren doyle
01-23-2006, 12:25
I wish Pat and Keith Jr. all the best in their respective futures. This represents a loss or almost equal magnitude to when the MATC/ATC/NPS agreed to move the trail out of Monson.

For some hikers though, in-town accommodations aren't as important to their 'trail' experience.

Sly
01-23-2006, 12:53
I wish Pat and Keith Jr. all the best in their respective futures. This represents a loss or almost equal magnitude to when the MATC/ATC/NPS agreed to move the trail out of Monson.

While I agree with the 1st, there's no law saying you can't hike the old AT. For someone that likes to bend the rules, I'm surprised "purity" when hiking a trail matters so much.

As far as I'm concerned, it's all hiking and doesn't matter if it's "official" trail or not.

Almost There
01-23-2006, 13:12
Warren, sometimes...you sir, are just an asshat! This is about Shaw's and now you're a purist?

Tha Wookie
01-23-2006, 13:26
I thought about this a lot last night and here are some random thoughts and questions I feel you should be looking at before you continue dreaming...
*It does sound very high for only .23 acres... and an older structure that needs a lot of improvements and maintainence. It sounds to me like they are really banking on it being sold as a business not just commercial property.

* Talk to Keith Jr. or Pat and see if they would let you look at their books. You might be very surprised how much it costs to run such a big place... Property Taxes, Sales Taxes, City and county and state and federal taxes... and insurance, water, electricity and heating, groceries... LOTS of groceries!, paper products... LOTS of paper products! and a lot more that you might not realize. I am also assuming that the Shaws had some retirement income that might have helped balance the books sometimes.

These are just some thoughts I have been mulling.

Great post, Ms. J!

Jerm
01-23-2006, 15:13
:banana Could be Bill Erwin might be interested.

i was thinking the same thing. i saw him speak on friday and did not realize he had moved to maine. he lives somewhere in that area. he said the house his wife and him have been building looks out over the 100 mile wilderness.

Lone Wolf
01-23-2006, 15:18
It doesn't matter who buys it or runs it. Shaw's will NEVER be the same without Keith, Pat and Jr. It'll be just a regular ole hostel.

warren doyle
01-23-2006, 15:52
Alomost There (#54) - Sorry, but I tried to prevent it from happening - you are now the newest member of my 'internegator' list. Congratulations!?

Lone Wolf
01-23-2006, 15:57
Alomost There (#54) - Sorry, but I tried to prevent it from happening - you are now the newest member of my 'internegator' list. Congratulations!?
The pressure is off Jack.:D

Sly

LOL.. Can you posts the list? Is that pronounced, in-turn-ah-gaiter?

neighbor dave
what's an internagator?

wacocelt
01-23-2006, 16:01
what's an internagator?

Monica Lewinsky crossed with a NY sewer gator.

If I remember correctly, it's a term that Mr.Doyle coined to describe people who constantly make attacks and castigations on the interweb. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

neighbor dave
01-23-2006, 16:11
what's an internagator?

Monica Lewinsky crossed with a NY sewer gator.
ha ha ha ha that's perty funny:jump :jump

Almost There
01-23-2006, 16:18
Yeaaaa! :banana I am now an internegator!!! :D What do I win??? I think I'll list it in my signature or with my screenname!!! Thanks Warren, two new names in less than a week from you, I feel humbled and honored!!!

Almost There
01-23-2006, 16:19
OBTW, I have only attacked you Warren, as yes, after the other day this is where it has gone! Read my other posts, for the most part I'm a pretty stand up guy!

warren doyle
01-23-2006, 21:04
sly #60
Q#1 - LOL.. Can you post the list?
A#1 - First time anyone asked me that question.
Internegator List (in no particular order)
1) Jack Tarlin
2) TJ aka Teej
3) The Old Fhart
4) Almost There

neighbor dave #61
Q#1: what's an internegator?
A#1: From the thread "Warren Doyle answers questions from potential AT thru-hikers/section hikers." to be found in 'Non-AT Forums' under 'General Non-AT Talk'.

definition of 'internegator'
a combination of two words - internet & negative
an internegator is an internet poster who is unreasonably negative, or unjustifiably critical, in responding to another's post.

TJ aka Teej
01-23-2006, 22:31
an internegator is an internet poster who is unreasonably negative, or unjustifiably critical, in responding to another's post.

Truth is Doyle just typo'd the word "interrogator" and was too much of a Warren to admit it.
Doyle - do you have to make every thread you join *all about Warren*?
We all know why you need van support to hike - it's to carry your ego.

Tha Wookie
01-23-2006, 22:44

Teej,

What would it take for you to thru-hike?

Almost There
01-23-2006, 22:53
I'm in the top 4!!! Hooray for me, I will be more than happy to start an Internegator Institute!!! Just send me your first born child....and moonpies, I likes me a good moonpie...and I'll get back to you with the dates!!! Oh and for my fellow internegators/professors, just send the moon pies and lodging is free!!!

TJ aka Teej
01-23-2006, 23:51
What would it take for you to thru-hike?

Thread's not about me, Wook.
But Mr Shaw told me he'd buy a time machine if he ever won megabucks, so that's my answer. It'd take a time machine for me to thru:D

Tha Wookie
01-24-2006, 02:14
Thread's not about me, Wook.

Nor is it about Warren.;)

attroll
01-24-2006, 03:17
Truth is Doyle just typo'd the word "interrogator" and was too much of a Warren to admit it.
Doyle - do you have to make every thread you join *all about Warren*?

TJ

I have to stick up for Warren here. Because Warren did not start this. Is seems like every time Warren posts anywhere on the site there are certain individuals that have to get on his case. So he made a typo and a statement that was wrong and he came back and apologized. But people would not leave it along after he apologized.

Maybe Warren bring some if it on himself but not in this thread he didn't.

wyclif
01-24-2006, 07:03

There's a much shorter, succint, and traditional word for that on the Web:

Troll.

Almost There
01-24-2006, 07:29
Yes, but in truth a troll does this kind of thing everywhere. I just do it to Warren, and for the longest time it was only in a tasteful manner where I tried to simply disagree with some of his points or throw out an alternate viewpoint. Only after he started the name calling did I alter the way in which I responded. As for the others, they simply have the right of him.

Lone Wolf
01-24-2006, 07:32
Yes, but in truth a troll does this kind of thing everywhere. I just do it to Warren, and for the longest time it was only in a tasteful manner where I tried to simply disagree with some of his points or throw out an alternate viewpoint. Only after he started the name calling did I alter the way in which I responded. As for the others, they simply have the right of him.
You're becoming obsessed with Warren. It's unhealthy. Ask orangebug. You spend WAY too many hours a day thinking about and typing about Warren.

walkin' wally
01-24-2006, 07:40
Well, so much for the Monson Hostel thread.

The General
01-24-2006, 07:50
I Would Certainly Donate To Any Fund To Buy Shaws That Would Keep It Open For Hiker Use. Maybe Troll , You Should Just See How Many Takers You Would Have For Your Scheme Count Me In For $10,000.00 As A Start Point.

Lone Wolf
01-24-2006, 07:53
What will you expect in return for your $10,000?

ferryman
01-24-2006, 08:13
Yesterday, I had the opportunity to sit down with Pat and Keith Shaw at their infamous hiker establishment in Monson, Maine. Shaw's Lodging opened in the 70's, providing meals, lodging, shuttles, equipment and kindness to well over 34,000 tired and hungry trail hikers. Since the passing of the elder Keith Shaw in 2004, the responsibility of running the business fell onto the shoulders of his widow, Patricia and his son, Keith. It has been my good fortune to know the Shaw's when the hikers business was running and even more so when they are planning to move on with their respective private lives. I always said that the Shaw's took in hikers when taking in hiker's wasn't cool. These folks have made the ulitmate sacrifice to the trail community and when the new owners? take over, we can only hope that the passion and commitment to hikers remains the same. Steve the ferryman

Almost There
01-24-2006, 09:32
LW, you're right, I need to get out and start hiking, wrestling is almost over thank god. Maybe it has more to do with the surely disposition of quitting smoking again coupled with having coached constantly since July. I already know what OB will say.

TJ aka Teej
01-24-2006, 16:31
It seems like every time Warren posts anywhere on the site there are certain individuals that have to get on his case.

It'd be easy for some folks to assume just what you have, if all they've read is the revisionism and spin from Doyle and the Warrenettes.

TJ aka Teej
01-24-2006, 16:33
Yesterday, I had the opportunity to sit down with Pat and Keith Shaw

Have they had any nibbles, Steve?

MOWGLI
01-24-2006, 16:51
It'd be easy for some folks to assume just what you have, if all they've read is the revisionism and spin from Doyle and the Warrenettes.

TJ, you are in some serious denial. Anyone who has even remotely paid attenton here over the past 2-3 years knows that what ATTROLL says is the gospel truth.

Here's a few reminders for those who haven't been around that long;

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10239&highlight=Warren+Doyle

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3531&highlight=Warren+Doyle

MOWGLI
01-24-2006, 16:53
My apologies for the last post. Its way off topic for this thread. I'd edit it if I could, but I can't.

Jack Tarlin
01-24-2006, 21:30
I just discovered this thread, and boy is it a hoot!

I didn't know Warren had an enemies list! Jeez, the last person I can think of who did was Richard Nixon, and considering Mr. Doyle's politics, that's a pretty funny person for WD to emulate if you think about it.

I also seem to remeber that Nixon was widely considered to be a delusional, paranoid, head case, who was convinced that the world was full of people out to get him. He even made up special words and names for the people he liked least.

Hmmmmmm. Can anyone say "parallel univese"?

Tim Seaver
01-24-2006, 21:41
There's no need to reach all the way back to Nixon, Jack - the paranoia exhibited by the current crop of Republicans makes Nixon look like a piker.

http://www.capitolhillblue.com/artman/publish/article_7625.shtml

....Those who have seen the list say it is far more extensive than Richard Nixon’s famous “enemies list” of Watergate fame or Bill Clinton’s dossiers on political enemies....

Hope this helps.

FiveWay
01-29-2006, 13:15
I just got my Thru-hiker book and on page 162 it says that the Lake Shore House is closed as well. If that is correct where is a hiker to stay in Monson?

Jack Tarlin
01-29-2006, 13:20
Fiveway:

I would be very much surprised if somebody doesn't open up an establishment before hiker season begins.

I think your best bet while hiking this year is to periodically check in here at Whitblaze to see if there's any news. Also, when you get to New Hampshire/Maine, the folks at the other hostels and motels will know what's going on (i.e you'll know well in advance what's going on).

But I'm quite sure someone will fill the void in Monson.

walkin' wally
01-29-2006, 13:27
Check again on the Lake Shore House in Monson. My source in Monson said it has been sold and will be open this season for hikers and others. Or call
207-997-7069 Jeff and Rebekah Santagata

www.lakeshorehouse.com (recently registered domain)

[email protected]

FiveWay
01-29-2006, 13:53
In Wingfoots boot page 163 it says that the Lake Shore house is closed. With Shaws being closed to, what should I plan on doing in Monson, Me? Is there another Hostel or motel near this area? FiveWay

Jack Tarlin
01-29-2006, 14:28
Gee, let's try again.

The Lake Shore House is not necessarily closed.

Not all of the information in Wingfoot's book or any other Trail guide is necessarily correct; places close, they re-open; they change policies, prices, etc. It's nothing to get all worried about.

There will certainly be some place open in Monson by the time you get there; check for more info at the hostels in Glencliff, NH; Gorham, NH; Andover, ME. and they'll know what's up further down the Trail.

You an also try the number that Wally provided and maybe they'll have more current information.

To answer your question, there is accomodation in Greenville, but it's a long ways from Monson. There are no motels in or anywhere near Monson

attroll
01-29-2006, 14:40
If your NOBO and by the time you get to Maine you will here the news of what is going on in Monson or what can be arranged. I would not worry about it to much. Even if there is no place there to stay there is still the post office and a small store. If your that worried then just have a maildrop waiting in Monson at the post office for yourself.

TJ aka Teej
01-29-2006, 15:06
From the AT crossing of Rte 15 it was about 6 miles South to Shaw's and about 7 miles North to Indian Hill above Greenville, and another mile or so down into town. This season the only lodging in Monson (that we know of so far) is Lake Shore House. Up in Greenville there is a Tourist Bureau just before the Indian Hill Motel and the Trading Post/Grocery Store. If all goes well there'll be a hiker board there in Greenville, info posted on the ATC Companion Update page, in Monson, at the Kennebec, and maybe in Glencliff too with info about lodging options for hikers. Whiteblaze will have up-to-date information posted, and I'm sure Trailplace will have some too. I sent in info about Greenville and the P.O. up there for the '06 Companion, look for that listing to expand in '07.

weary
01-29-2006, 16:13
Come on guys. The Leeman Brook Shelter is an easy three miles from the AT crossing on Route 15. You can visit every business in Monson in less than 15 minutes. If there's no hostel, you can be at a shelter in an hour and a half or less.

Sure, a lot of people prefer a day off before entering the "wilderness." But it's no tragedy if you don't.

Weary

Jack Tarlin
01-29-2006, 16:21
Maybe not a tragedy, but nearly everyone wants to overnight in town, and this is especially true for Southbounders.

This is the last town on the Trail for most folks, and the very first town for lots of others. Sure it's possible to re-supply and head straight back to the woods, but the reality is that for many folks, this is not an attractive or desired option. Nearly everyone plans on overnighting in Monson, and hopefully will have the chance to do so this season.

Lone Wolf
01-29-2006, 20:34
Come on guys. The Leeman Brook Shelter is an easy three miles from the AT crossing on Route 15. You can visit every business in Monson in less than 15 minutes. If there's no hostel, you can be at a shelter in an hour and a half or less.

Sure, a lot of people prefer a day off before entering the "wilderness." But it's no tragedy if you don't.

Weary
Best advice yet. Just go to the woods. hostels etc. are wants not needs.

A-Train
01-30-2006, 00:22
I agree that someone will open a hostel by the hiker season this summer. With such little employment in that region it seems silly that people would squander the chance to make some bucks in Monson (not that you can get rich off of it).

This will be a bigger deal for the SOBO;s. I could definately see wanting a good meal and a bed after finished the first 115. For NOBO's definately no biggie. Hopefully (if there are no hostels) this will open the doors for Steve's place in Caratunk as well as the rafting place (Northern Outdoors?). If I were to hike again I'd take an overnight in lovely Caratunk where there is little to do besides relax and enjoy the river and the nice brew pub/hot tubs down the road. As folks suggested, grabbing some food/mail drop and heading to Leeman would work just fine. Face it: You're 7 days at most from finishing. What's a week without a hostel?

Tudor
01-30-2006, 00:44
Heck, there is even accomodation half-way through The Wilderness. Back in '04 there was an establishment 1.5 miles *blue blazed* off the Trail about halfway through the wilderness. Have to be there before 6 (I think) and sound a fog-horn at a dock. They have hot showers, nice bunks, a great, gigantic, burger any way you want, and a killer AYCE breakfast in the morning. Plus they also have a cold brew or pint of B&J if you want to indulge. Don't have this years copy of Wingfoot's book, but it was in 04's.

So if you are really worried about it being bad in Monson, just resupply and check it out in The Wilderness. I'm sure someone can give you better mileage, etc. They aren't a resupply point, just a family that lives on the lake, giving care to any hikers that stray that way. Oh, and if you find any moose antlers, I bet you could make a pretty penny off of the man of the house! He deals in them.

attroll
01-30-2006, 00:51
Heck, there is even accomodation half-way through The Wilderness. Back in '04 there was an establishment 1.5 miles *blue blazed* off the Trail about halfway through the wilderness. Have to be there before 6 (I think) and sound a fog-horn at a dock. They have hot showers, nice bunks, a great, gigantic, burger any way you want, and a killer AYCE breakfast in the morning. Plus they also have a cold brew or pint of B&J if you want to indulge. Don't have this years copy of Wingfoot's book, but it was in 04's.

So if you are really worried about it being bad in Monson, just resupply and check it out in The Wilderness. I'm sure someone can give you better mileage, etc. They aren't a resupply point, just a family that lives on the lake, giving care to any hikers that stray that way. Oh, and if you find any moose antlers, I bet you could make a pretty penny off of the man of the house! He deals in them.

It is called the Whitehouse Camps.

walkin' wally
01-30-2006, 00:57
The person who told me about the Lake Shore House runs A Fierce Chase Cross Country Ski Center in Monson. He is friends with the new owners. He should know what is happening there. No big deal
I am going up to Monson Friday, Saturday, and Sunday and will inquire again as to the situation at the Lakeshore house as well as Shaws.

Tudor
01-30-2006, 01:02
Thanks for clearing that up for me ATTroll! lol My ignorance is quite pronounced sometimes. :datz lol

Nokia
01-30-2006, 03:03
If you can walk from GA to Monson, I hope you can handle not staying in a hostel for the night. On the other hand, it's sad to see Shaw's go. I never met Keith Sr., but Jr. and his mom are top notch. Keith really went out of his way to make us all feel relaxed and comfy. Enough to make us stay another day.

Tudor
01-30-2006, 12:33
[reminisce mode] I had the pleasure of staying at Shaw's, when Keith Sr. was still with us. What a great man! He gave me a private showing of family pictures and a couple of hunting stories from when he was a child. I'm a bit saddened that I won't be able to spend a day with the Shaw family this year as I head SOBO, but I understand their choices, and brave choices they are. It's definitely got to be hard on them to 'walk away' from what they've been doing for years. [/reminisce mode]

RITBlake
01-31-2006, 02:57
I wouldn't really worry about there being no hostels in Monson. If you are a sobo and you are freaking out about being in the woods for a week and you desperately need a shower or something, you can split a cheap hotel. Gills and Samoa stayed at the Lakeshore house and got a great rate.

And if you're a nobo and you've just walked 2100 miles, missing one hostel can't be that big of a deal. Also, we met several people in town that offered to give us a shower and let us camp in their backyard.

and MAYBE if you are cunning enough, maybe you can find the 'secret hostel' in Monson

TJ aka Teej
01-31-2006, 13:34
maybe you can find the 'secret hostel' in Monson

OK, you stumped me! That's not Trail Magic Massage, and it's certainly not the Retreat - who, what, where??

attroll
01-31-2006, 13:46
MAYBE if you are cunning enough, maybe you can find the 'secret hostel' in Monson

Is that Paddler's Place in Greenville?

minnesotasmith
01-31-2006, 14:11
On the original topic of hostelry in Monson. It'll be on the thread about my upcoming NOBO attempt. :welcome :D

RITBlake
01-31-2006, 18:20
OK, you stumped me! That's not Trail Magic Massage, and it's certainly not the Retreat - who, what, where??

sure about that Teej? :) Ever been upstairs?

TJ aka Teej
01-31-2006, 18:37
sure about that Teej? :) Ever been upstairs?

Um... no, and yes! :D

RITBlake
01-31-2006, 18:53
Ok, you narrowed it down :) Yah, that is the upstairs portion of trail magic massage. We met "bones" in town and for a little yard work, we stayed up there for a few days. It was like an empty apartment w/ several empty rooms and a bathroom. One of the rooms had some homemade bunks. Not sure if Bones was thinking about turning this in to a full time hostel. Would probably be succesful because there is plenty of space, a seperat entrance for the second floor, and the bunks are already in place. Maybe they are looking to make a little more $ and rent this upstairs portion out to a tenant.

TJ aka Teej
01-31-2006, 19:13
What threw me was "MAYBE if you are cunning enough, maybe you can find the 'secret hostel' in Monson" - that 'secret hostel' has been listed in the Companion! :D The Emporium is a great old building, and it's getting some excellent TLC.

minnesotasmith
02-02-2006, 06:36
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11896&page=7

Lone Wolf
02-02-2006, 07:26
we already knew that about Shaw's. Old news.

minnesotasmith
02-02-2006, 07:43
About the threat to that alternative to Shaw's, and the possible solution I came up with?

Lone Wolf
02-02-2006, 07:46
Huh? What threat?

TJ aka Teej
02-02-2006, 08:40
Old news.
Pretty much. Pat must be dreading answering the phone. More info about Lindy and Trail Magic Massage can be found in the Companion. She has a beautiful huge old house up across from the general store. Blake posted a photo of one of her bunk rooms in this thread a few days ago.

attroll
02-02-2006, 11:39
Pretty much. Pat must be dreading answering the phone. More info about Lindy and Trail Magic Massage can be found in the Companion. She has a beautiful huge old house up across from the general store. Blake posted a photo of one of her bunk rooms in this thread a few days ago.

TJ, I was told that she was closed this year to. I believe Pat told me that. What is the scoop?

TJ aka Teej
02-02-2006, 15:28
TJ, I was told that she was closed this year too. I believe Pat told me that.
Shaw's is closed for good, the business and main building are for sale. Keith Jr is living in the annex across the road, and was looking for better paying work to support his new family.

TJ aka Teej
02-02-2006, 15:40
Whoa, wait - sorry - you were asking about Lindy - who wasn't closed last year. She takes in hikers on a limited basis only. She started a few years ago taking in work-for-stays. Her massage business is a welcome thing for hikers, as was the service at the old Caratunk House. She's been listed as a lodging alternative in the Companion - but of course that was made before Shaw's shut down. When I was in Monson last fall she was enjoying her 'Emporium', and had no interest in doing shuttles or expanding to a full time hostel.

attroll
02-03-2006, 01:53
Whoa, wait - sorry - you were asking about Lindy - who wasn't closed last year. She takes in hikers on a limited basis only. She started a few years ago taking in work-for-stays. Her massage business is a welcome thing for hikers, as was the service at the old Caratunk House. She's been listed as a lodging alternative in the Companion - but of course that was made before Shaw's shut down. When I was in Monson last fall she was enjoying her 'Emporium', and had no interest in doing shuttles or expanding to a full time hostel.

Have you contacted Lindy lately? Because last time I talked to Keith Jr. he told me she was not opening this year. This was a while ago so Keith may have been wrong.

RITBlake
02-03-2006, 03:05
just my .2 cents...

the vibe mike and I got when we stayed w/ them was that was def not going to become a full time thing (hostel at trail magic massage) Bones asked us to keep the word passed on to nobo's at a minimum and we did. I imagine starting up a hostel would be no small time operation. I think Linda was also working quite a bit at that bbq joint down the road. We went there every night while we were in Monson, yum.

TJ aka Teej
02-03-2006, 16:06
Have you contacted Lindy lately?

Last Fall, after the wave of nobos. About the only change to her Companion listing was to update the business name to "Moon Melon Emporium". I don't do my Companion updates via the phone, I try to visit everyone in person a at least a few times during the season. Most all Compaion volunteers do the same, that's one of the reasons new services show up in the Companion before they turn up listed elsewhere. I have been playing phone tag with the new onwers of Lake-Shore House recently, though! A WhiteBlaze member has posted he's going to be in Monson this weekend, I look forward to reading his report. I need to get up Millinocket again real soon, so I'll swing through Monson and Greenville if I can.

freefall
02-17-2006, 22:16
From another message board:

Shaw's Lodging - Monson, Maine - New Owners

Shaw's Lodging has been sold and the new owners (207-997-3744 until 9pm Eastern Time if you want information) plan to open in early May with full hiker services as described in the 2006 ­Handbook, plus dinner will be available for $12; will stay open through October; more services will be added and announced soon.

:dance :banana :jump :banana :jump :banana :jump :banana :dance

Israel
02-18-2006, 00:35
That is great news. I hope they can make enough $$ to make it viable for them!!

attroll
02-18-2006, 01:05
Any information on the new owners? Are they hiker friendly, past thru hikers? any information would be appreciated.

freefall
02-18-2006, 01:16
Any information on the new owners? Are they hiker friendly, past thru hikers? any information would be appreciated.

I just happened across this information today. I was gonna try calling on Monday, see what rates are, etc...

Shutterbug
02-18-2006, 01:47

According to Google, the telephone number given belongs to D M Allen, N Guilford Rd, Monson, Me 04464.

A Google search on that name doesn't yield any information.

Shutterbug
02-18-2006, 02:02
According to Google, the telephone number given belongs to D M Allen, N Guilford Rd, Monson, Me 04464.

A Google search on that name doesn't yield any information.

From the history of Monson, Me, it appears that the Allen family have been active in Monson from the very beginning --

http://www.kynd.net/monson/MonsonHistory/history1997.txt

totempole99
02-18-2006, 02:17
From the history of Monson, Me, it appears that the Allen family have been active in Monson from the very beginning --

Can you summarize that for me and put it into a concise paragraph? Thanks so much.

freefall
02-18-2006, 02:44

Glad I'm off(fairly) the RADAR, seems we have a superslueth!:)

Nokia
02-19-2006, 05:11
That's kinda friggin' creepy, no offense Shutterbug.

attroll
02-19-2006, 05:34
I tried calling Pat Shaw today and here phone is no longer connected. So I tried calling the other number that someone posted on here all day today and not one answered. So I have no idea what is going on.

shawslodging
03-13-2006, 18:03

Hi there - just looking through some of the threads and wanted to respond!! Yes we are hiker friendly! The Shaw's experience will hopefully only get better - services you are used to having will be continued and we only hope to add more or add little touches to make it better. So not to worry NOBOs - you still have a place to rest, eat, and stock up before the last 100 miles!! We guarantee...:sun

See you in Monson!!! :welcome