PDA

View Full Version : Flip-flop: hammocking in Tennessee, NC, Georgia next fall

Tolmann
12-27-2016, 14:07
With the wildfires this year in the south, I'm wondering about my plans to use a hammock. Does anyone know if the fires have made/will make it difficult to hang? I'm on the edge of taking advantage of Lightheart Gear's end of year 10% and pulling the trigger on a Solong 6 to use on the southbound leg of my flip-flop...

- Tolmann (Start in Harper's Ferry April 15, 2017)

Oventoasted
12-27-2016, 15:00
Well im NOBO with a hammock starting in Feb. ill let ya know when i get there. :D

Tolmann
12-27-2016, 16:48
Well im NOBO with a hammock starting in Feb. ill let ya know when i get there. :D

Cool!Thanks,and good luck!

GolfHiker
01-02-2017, 17:25
Tillman: I can't speak to the fires, but I can comment on the Solong6. I did the southern section last summer, 1,025 miles to HF, and my Solong6 was wonderful. The only downside is like all sil nylon, retaining water weight after an evening's rain. I just dealt with it.

Oddly enough im starting 4/23 in HF this year, and I'll be using my hammock.

MuddyWaters
01-02-2017, 17:35
The comments I have seen here mostly, are that the fast moving fires burned understory and leaf litter, but left larger trees intact.
I would think you should be fine.

Tolmann
01-09-2017, 15:44
Tillman: I can't speak to the fires, but I can comment on the Solong6. I did the southern section last summer, 1,025 miles to HF, and my Solong6 was wonderful. The only downside is like all sil nylon, retaining water weight after an evening's rain. I just dealt with it.

Oddly enough im starting 4/23 in HF this year, and I'll be using my hammock.

Maybe I'll see you on the trail. I just rejiggered my schedule, though so will probably be starting 4/26 from HF...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk