PDA

View Full Version : How to get your gear on a plane

RabbitHole
12-27-2016, 15:33
I'll be flying to Atlanta via Delta, I have a Z pack Arc Haul with trekking poles. Should I check it or use it as a carry-on, and how to accomplish such a thing?

jj dont play
12-27-2016, 15:39
If you have a stove mail it. Even if it's new TSA may throw it out due to possibility have residue fuel it in.Highly recommend staying at the hiker hostel, just makes things easier logistically. Get a cheap duffel or suit case,put your stuff in it and check it. I flew delta and did it this way. Everything in my bag was fine but trekking poles can be a possible issue. I just left the suitcase with the hiker hostel who have a place to donate them (people take this route a lot and they even advise you do this just to save possible headache).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RabbitHole
12-27-2016, 16:06
Already booked at the hiker hostel. My alcohol stove is super small so I'll just mail that as a precaution. I was scouting cheap duffel bags at TJ Max already too. Thanks for the help!

Gambit McCrae
12-27-2016, 16:10
Treat it as you would any other carryon but mail your shuttle driver things like stove. I just rolled up my trek poles and tent stakes into my tent. Put pack into duffel bag. Give shuttle driver duffel bag when hitting the trail.

Also see here : Flying with a pack (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/122316-Wondering-about-flying-restrictions?p=2113479&highlight=#post2113479)

HooKooDooKu
12-27-2016, 16:16
For a JMT thru this year, I got a cheap duffel from a local thrift store for the trip out and tossed it in the trash once I got to California.
For the return flight, I bought some Saran Wrap and just wrapped up the entire pack, making sure all loose straps were wrapped down, and making sure the pack could still be opened from the top should TSA decide to open it up. Left-over duct-tape from my repair kit helped secure the Saran Wrap.

My packed bear canister and stove were include in my carry-on luggage. The only issue there is that I don't think the local TSA knew what to think when the bear canister went thru the scanner, so they pulled it aside and swabbed it. But beyond that, no issues getting on the plane with my stove and food.

BTW, don't pack a lighter in you checked luggage. You are allowed to fly with a lighter, but it must be in your carry on.

Colter
12-27-2016, 19:34
I'll be flying to Atlanta via Delta, I have a Z pack Arc Haul with trekking poles. Should I check it or use it as a carry-on, and how to accomplish such a thing?

I wouldn't try to carry on a pack with trekking poles: http://blog.tsa.gov/2014/05/tsa-travel-tips-travel-tips-for.html

I think my last long hike I put my pack and poles in a beefy box, with my very expensive carbon fiber poles inside a length of PVC pipe inside the same box.

hikehunter
12-27-2016, 20:16
March 2015, Southwest airlines. I put my pack in a large light weight duffle bag. the Hiking pole and stove inside pack,no fuel. They got it to me with no problems. I mailed the duffle home from the Atlanta airport about $7. Road the Atlanta Rail to the last stop to the north side. Stayed at the hotel next to the mall and REI got fuel. Shuttle picked me up in the morning at 8am was hiking up Springer Mt. before noon.

Colter
12-27-2016, 20:17

I wouldn't try to carry on a pack with trekking poles: http://blog.tsa.gov/2014/05/tsa-travel-tips-travel-tips-for.html

I think my last long hike I put my pack and poles in a beefy box, with my very expensive carbon fiber poles inside a length of PVC pipe inside the same box.

moldy
12-27-2016, 22:09
I always check it. Rather than a duffel I buy a roll of packing tape. Before they take it, I wrap the holy hell out of it. I use up the whole roll. 100 percent coverage. The backpack looks like a cocoon. I have never had a problem.

Greenlight
12-27-2016, 22:54
Goodwill, Salvation Army, and flea markets have duffel bags and luggage dirt cheap.

Already booked at the hiker hostel. My alcohol stove is super small so I'll just mail that as a precaution. I was scouting cheap duffel bags at TJ Max already too. Thanks for the help!

PaulWorksHard
12-27-2016, 23:46
TSA website says you cannot carry on hiking poles. But, I did just that at Portland, Maine airport. No issue whatsoever. Alcohol stove was no problem either. I would never check my pack. What happens if they lose it, mangle it, or rip it? That could be the end of your hike. Way too risky. To be safe, I would mail poles, pocket knife and stove to hiker hostel or REI in Atlanta.

PaulWorksHard
12-27-2016, 23:47
Alternatively, just check your poles, knife and stove and carry everything else on.

ScareBear
12-28-2016, 07:05
Alternatively, just check your poles, knife and stove and carry everything else on.

I am sorry, I must be missing something. Check your poles, knife and stove into what, exactly? Besides the cargo hold...

Traveler
12-28-2016, 08:17
TSA website says you cannot carry on hiking poles. But, I did just that at Portland, Maine airport. No issue whatsoever. Alcohol stove was no problem either. I would never check my pack. What happens if they lose it, mangle it, or rip it? That could be the end of your hike. Way too risky. To be safe, I would mail poles, pocket knife and stove to hiker hostel or REI in Atlanta.

Some TSA stations will allow poles through, some don't. Though that can change with the shift supervisor or from a security alert or threat the TSA station is working with. Even getting through the airside security station I have seen people turned away from the gate with poles strapped to their packs by TSA doing random gate checks as well. Carrying trekking poles onto airliners is an issue of regulation interpretation, which can differ significantly between TSA stations, with TSA having the final word with their interpretation that day.

To the issue of fuel containers, it can be a serious issue bringing fuel containers with any fuel (or residue that can be detected via dog or swab) in them as these are considered accelerants at best, explosives at worst. The same penalty for the dull witted who try the "I didn't know my gun was in that bag" excuse can be levied for hazardous materials. Its an expensive gamble and not one I would want to mess with.

In my view, the safest bet is to ship the pack and equipment via UPS to the destination, especially if you are bringing stove equipment, knives, and poles. I've done this for a number of years and have not suffered loss or damage of items, and not had to wait for a delayed delivery once I got there. The next level would be to check the pack with all the stuff (keep electronics with you in carry on of course) in a duffle bag for protection. If you use a lock, get a TSA lock so they don't have to cut the lock off or slice open the duffel if there is something in the back that draws attention.

Good luck!

la.lindsey
12-29-2016, 15:27
I've bought a poster tube to check my poles and knife before. That worked really well, and was easy to trash afterwards.

I've also carried on poles and stakes several times with no problem from a few different airports. I would never check my entire pack.

trailmercury
12-29-2016, 16:20
I'm flying to Atlanta from northern Wisconsin via a connection in Minn/St. Paul on Delta.
I'm planning to send my poles, knife, stakes, stove, lighter and matches to The Hiker Hostel, where I am staying the night before I start my Thru.
I'll carry on my partially loaded Zpacks Arc Haul.
The cost of shipping will be less than the cost of paying for a checked bag, and I won't have any possibility of extra hassle with airport security or baggage claim.

rocketsocks
12-29-2016, 16:24
I'm flying to Atlanta from northern Wisconsin via a connection in Minn/St. Paul on Delta.
I'm planning to send my poles, knife, stakes, stove, lighter and matches to The Hiker Hostel, where I am staying the night before I start my Thru.
I'll carry on my partially loaded Zpacks Arc Haul.
The cost of shipping will be less than the cost of paying for a checked bag, and I won't have any possibility of extra hassle with airport security or baggage claim.man are your arms gonna be tired!

Oventoasted
12-29-2016, 17:08
man are your arms gonna be tired!

Cant believe i laughed at this...

rocketsocks
12-29-2016, 17:18
Cant believe i laughed at this...one of my favorite jokes.

trailmercury
12-29-2016, 17:20
one of my favorite jokes.
My arms will have 5 months to rest since I'll be "just walkin" thereafter

rocketsocks
12-29-2016, 17:21
My arms will have 5 months to rest since I'll be "just walkin" thereafterperfect, have a great hike!

PaulWorksHard
12-29-2016, 18:18
For my thru hike, the sorest part of my body was usually my shoulders from using hiking poles! Or maybe sleeping on my side with a neoair?

Gambit McCrae
12-29-2016, 18:25
For my thru hike, the sorest part of my body was usually my shoulders from using hiking poles! Or maybe sleeping on my side with a neoair?

I doubt poles would cause hurt shoulders, maybe if you were leaning on them way too much all day. were you bottoming out on your neo?

Dogwood
12-29-2016, 19:25

You have to check your size pack on Delta. it is larger than the cary on size allowance.

From Delta's website:

Baggage must fit easily in the Carry-on Baggage Check (approximately 22" x 14" x 9" or 56 x 35 x 23 cm), which is located near the check-in counters.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/baggage/during-your-trip/carry-on.html

From ZP's website(for the Arc Haul):

Specifications:

Total Volume: 62 Liters / 3,800 cubic inches - 24.0 ounces (680 grams)
Main Body Volume: About 49 Liters / 3,000 cubic inches
Pockets: About 5L (300 ci) in the side pockets, and 8L (500 ci) in the mesh center pocket.
Body dimensions: 8" x 12.5" x 30" (19 cm x 31.8 cm x 76 cm)

You should check your flight carriers size and wt allowance for carry on items as part of your traveling prep.

Dogwood
12-29-2016, 19:49
FWIW: 1) I've carried foldable trekking poles like Black Diamond Ultra Distance Carbon Z and Komperdell Carbon Vario 4 on several different carriers stored inside my backpacks that all carried on a plane with never a hassle. These all had flat carbide or steel tips and I always still place the stock rubber tip protectors on the tips. I figure, know what the TSA Agents are looking for and why and don't give it to them. i.e.; make their job and your traveling with trekking poles more hassle free

2) I like having my backpack with me on public transportation. On flights it's easier as I'm UL not only in terms of wt but low volume. All but my absolutely largest haulers are allowed on all flights as carry on baggage. I've had stuff missing from my checked backpacks(hassle making claims when you arrive at your destination like Atlanta - now the busiest AP in the world - and the shuttle is waiting on you), backpacks rummaged through, and backpacks or gear damaged checking it.

An alternative I use is mailing ahead stuff like food and other non essentials and maybe pocket knives, fuel, trekking poles(never had to do that this though), etc to lighten the load and volume and make it easier to get through TSA. This has allowed my to shrink the size of a few of my largest packs that I could carry them onto the flight. It makes traveling long distance less cumbersome yet IF IF something was to go wrong in the mailing I'm still able to start the hike. I'm more in control of my gear.

trailmercury
12-29-2016, 21:16
You have to check your size pack on Delta. it is larger than the cary on size allowance.

From Delta's website:

Baggage must fit easily in the Carry-on Baggage Check (approximately 22" x 14" x 9" or 56 x 35 x 23 cm), which is located near the check-in counters.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/baggage/during-your-trip/carry-on.html

From ZP's website(for the Arc Haul):

Specifications:

Total Volume: 62 Liters / 3,800 cubic inches - 24.0 ounces (680 grams)
Main Body Volume: About 49 Liters / 3,000 cubic inches
Pockets: About 5L (300 ci) in the side pockets, and 8L (500 ci) in the mesh center pocket.
Body dimensions: 8" x 12.5" x 30" (19 cm x 31.8 cm x 76 cm

with the roll top cinched down the bag is "approximately" 25 inches tall...To my "eyeball" a moderately filled Arc Haul is about the size of many pieces of luggage that I have seen carried on planes; pre and post 9/11...Anybody know for sure you can carry it on? As in, have you carried on your Arc Haul? I have yet to try and would be p*ssed to have to check it...I'd just as soon mail it empty with my poles, stove, stakes, knife, lighters etc. and carry on a throw away school backpack and re-pack at Hiker Hostel.
As stated above, mailing/shipping UL gear is still cheaper than paying to check a bag and less risky in my opinion

Obiwan
12-30-2016, 18:05
More likely too much air in it!

Dogwood
12-30-2016, 23:13
with the roll top cinched down the bag is "approximately" 25 inches tall...To my "eyeball" a moderately filled Arc Haul is about the size of many pieces of luggage that I have seen carried on planes; pre and post 9/11...Anybody know for sure you can carry it on? As in, have you carried on your Arc Haul? I have yet to try and would be p*ssed to have to check it...I'd just as soon mail it empty with my poles, stove, stakes, knife, lighters etc. and carry on a throw away school backpack and re-pack at Hiker Hostel.
As stated above, mailing/shipping UL gear is still cheaper than paying to check a bag and less risky in my opinion

+1 A viable option to meet carry on allowance size is to mail some stuff ahead, reduce volume, and roll down the pack eight. I take that approach occasionally especially in the U.S. Again, I like having my pack with me.

rocketsocks
12-31-2016, 04:30
My how things have changed, in nineteen hundred and eighty nine I brought a gold pan and rock pick in my carry on. The lady said "what's this" I told her what it was...next!

Traveler
12-31-2016, 06:55
with the roll top cinched down the bag is "approximately" 25 inches tall...To my "eyeball" a moderately filled Arc Haul is about the size of many pieces of luggage that I have seen carried on planes; pre and post 9/11...Anybody know for sure you can carry it on? As in, have you carried on your Arc Haul? I have yet to try and would be p*ssed to have to check it...I'd just as soon mail it empty with my poles, stove, stakes, knife, lighters etc. and carry on a throw away school backpack and re-pack at Hiker Hostel. As stated above, mailing/shipping UL gear is still cheaper than paying to check a bag and less risky in my opinion

Its really dependent on the airline, their policy, how full the flight is, and the airline personnel at the gate at the time of departure. Best advice remains to check your airline's carry on size/weight limits and not exceed them. Sometimes people are allowed to board with oversized items on the first flight, but the second flight won't allow it in the overhead compartments. Best thing is to measure the pack and be sure you are at or slightly below the maximum allowable size. If theres a doubt, there is no doubt and shipping may be the better option.

Sandy of PA
12-31-2016, 09:38
My sister flew with an ARC Blast, she had to remove the side stays and put them diagonal in the pack to roll it down far enough to meet the size limit. Luckly it was not full for a hike, no food.

orthofingers
12-31-2016, 09:56
Funny story. I work on Blck Island every other Friday. It's a small island located about 13 miles off the coast of Rhode Island. It's serviced by a small local airline that uses either 6 passenger single engine planes or 11? passenger twin engine planes. It's about a twelve minute flight depending on which approach path they use.

Often, on the early Friday morning flight there are a couple of surveyors going out to do their surveying thing. They bring their tripod, and a plastic box with their transit in it, their surveyors pole, and always a machete in a green canvas sheeth. I always get a chuckle out of that.

When the Homeland Security Agency was formed, for the "safety of the flying public", they erected an eight foot chain link fence with three rows of barbed wire on top, around the whole airport but the surveyors still carry their machete right on the plane. Gotta love it!

Praha4
12-31-2016, 11:21
I've flown Southwest and Delta with my Osprey Atmos 50 as a carry-on.

Our next door neighbor is a Delta flight attendant, she told me they would not allow hiking poles as a carry-on item, even if packed inside the backpack. I mailed my poles and stove ahead to my shuttle driver.

good luck and have a great hike

thumper-TX
01-17-2017, 17:11
Does anyone know a source for inexpensive duffel bags? I need one to take my pack on a plane to Atlanta. My pack is an Osprey Atmos 65 AG.

Venchka
01-17-2017, 17:38
Thrift stores - Salvation Army, church run, etc.
Garage sales.
Dollar stores, Walmart, etc.
Wayne

Venchka
01-17-2017, 18:22
Military surplus. Do you have any friends who are veterans and have a duffle bag they don't need? Any Surplus stores nearby with real surplus inventory?
Wayne

Drapac
01-22-2017, 09:25

Thanks for sharing the link!

hailstreak
01-23-2017, 12:52
I have air traveled with a fully loaded 65l pack a few times (no fuel, just a tuna can stove) and never had a problem with it as checked luggage. I usually just lash my trekking poles to the outside of the pack really tight. I plan on doing the same when I fly to Atlanta this March. My poles are cheapos and my pack is fairly durable (not ultralight), so it can tolerate some tossing around by the baggage handlers.

theory
01-29-2017, 04:07
so nobody has had any issues bringing a tent in your carry-on? i think that is the only thing i am worried about as i don't use a stove or trekking poles or carry a knife of any kind. hmm, maybe the trowel can be considered dangerous though lol

Dogwood
01-29-2017, 12:38

Depends on your trekking pole designs for one thing. I've taken Black Diamond UL Distance Z Poles and Komperdell Carbon Vario 4 collapsable foldable trekking poles stored easily in my UL backpack 7 or so times on N. America flights, including recently, with no problem as carry ons in my backpack. I'm with others who say they always like having backpacks with them which is easy with UL low volume kits so I aim to always cary on. Interestingly, twice while flying with other hikers trying to carry on meshing/telescopic trekking poles on the outside or inside of their packs they both have been flagged. One with tips protectors one without.

I've bought a poster tube to check my poles and knife before. That worked really well, and was easy to trash afterwards.

I've also carried on poles and stakes several times with no problem from a few different airports. I would never check my entire pack.

Here. Easy. +1

Have never been flagged for stakes(Al, Ti, skewer, MSR Ground Hogs, carbon, etc) or dedicated carbon fiber tarp poles either. I've never been flagged for the huge bag of supplements I usually flying with. The one item I get flagged for is my Snowpeak Titanium Mini Solo Cook Pot which I store my isobutane stove, Ti foldable spork, and ditty rag in which the X-ray machine can't fully see through. That's why I've been storing it inside on the top of my pack so TSA can do their job easily if they have to open up my pack. attempting to get pressurized isobutane cans, well used and dirty liquid fuel/gas/alchy stoves, dirty fuel containers, pocket knives, and razor blades on flights you'll get detained longer perhaps missing your flight receiving a lecture in the process as a team of TSA Agents profile you.

Better IMO to also mail ahead food or buy once in the GA rather than haul it on flights, trains, camels, etc. Sometimes the food volume and wt is what can put you over the size and wt carry on limit. PLUS, it's more hassle to travel with 10 lbs of food.

Dogwood
01-29-2017, 12:40
I have air traveled with a fully loaded 65l pack a few times (no fuel, just a tuna can stove) and never had a problem with it as checked luggage. I usually just lash my trekking poles to the outside of the pack really tight. I plan on doing the same when I fly to Atlanta this March. My poles are cheapos and my pack is fairly durable (not ultralight), so it can tolerate some tossing around by the baggage handlers.

You're risking your trekking poles or something else being damaged or missing doing this.

EuroPacker
09-12-2017, 05:40
I've done something similar and it didn't damage the poles. Theft is a bigger risk then damage when going this route. Mine were not good ones either though so there was less of that risk.

Cheers!

You're risking your trekking poles or something else being damaged or missing doing this.

energier
09-18-2017, 14:24
I'll bet if yu remove the carbon fiber rods from the pack -- mail them with the items. You can get the arc haul down small enough to meet carry on size

MuddyWaters
09-18-2017, 14:57
I'll bet if yu remove the carbon fiber rods from the pack -- mail them with the items. You can get the arc haul down small enough to meet carry on size

Several times i remove mine , wrap in ccf with trek poles, and put in small checked duffel for trip home. Then carry on half empty pack.

Just visit walmart for 15$ 22" duffel, or thrift store for $4

I like to mail travel clothes to destination, do i usually mail the cheap duffel too. But for $20 you can go to thrift store and get it all.

Outbound...i check whole pack packed with food in cheap thrift duffel. Carry on $$$ cuben and down in a thrift daypack.