PDA

View Full Version : Caldera Cone

trailmercury
12-27-2016, 18:07
Any experience with the Ti-Tri setup? Or simply opinions on the system?
I'm very intrigued with the versatility of these stoves.
I currently use a Fancee Feest with a DIY aluminum foil windscreen, usually just cozy/freezer bag cooking.
I'm considering switching to a "Fissure" bundle for my upcoming Thru
I'm usually UL but the versatility of three fuel possibilities is making me consider adding an ounce or two to my base for this setup.

oldwetherman
12-27-2016, 19:06
I switched from a Jet Boil to a Trail Designs "Fissure" cone setup in 2013 for my thru hike attempt and have never regretted it. I sometimes use the Esbit cubes but I've never used the wood burning capability.
The canister systems are okay and fast but I don't mind a few more minutes cooking time. I like "seeing" how much fuel I have remaining but the main drawback to the canister stoves for me is the "roar". Get me near a shelter when 4 or 5 folks fire up the Jet Boils and I have "flashbacks" to unpleasant episodes in another life.

SWODaddy
12-27-2016, 19:23
Wife has a Fissure for an Evernew 640ml (tall). I have a Ti-Tri for an Evernew 1.3l. We both love them.

Slo-go'en
12-27-2016, 21:39
I use the Caldera cone with the stock alky stove and it works great. I like the fact it is very stable on an unstable picnic table.

capehiker
12-27-2016, 22:03
I have the Ti-Tri sidewinder for my .9L Evernew pot and use the Starlyte burner with it. It is very efficient and stable.

tflaris
12-28-2016, 03:11
I have the Caldera Foster Keg Stove and really like it. There's fiddle factor and the costs that some don't like.

I have many other Alchy and Jetboil setups but prefer/enjoy this one the best.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161228/66e4149f3bebdc740e372dca120c14f5.jpg
YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deacon
12-28-2016, 07:10
I have the Caldera Foster Keg Stove and really like it. There's fiddle factor and the costs that some don't like.

I have many other Alchy and Jetboil setups but prefer/enjoy this one the best.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161228/66e4149f3bebdc740e372dca120c14f5.jpg
YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what I use and absolutely love it. I have the old green can model.

The only drawback I can think of is it is just a water heater, not a cook pot. It also takes just a little longer to set up and heat the water, but not by much. I use Esbit, and it takes roughly 8 minutes to bring 2 cups to a boil. User must be OK with the fiddle factor.

Ok, another drawback using Esbit. I have a dedicated plastic bag that fits over the Fosters can so the Esbit residue doesn't rub onto the inside of the tote cylinder.

That said, the light weight makes it well worth it's daily use. The pot, lid, cone, stove, two-half canister/cup/bowls, all come in at 5.9 ounces.

Traillium
12-29-2016, 01:15
I love my Caldera TiTri with the 900ml pot & 500ml lid/drinking cup. I prefer the Starlyte, though I also use the Caldera 12/10 stove. (I also bought the huge Starlyte with simmering options from Zelph — great stove as well!) Not used Esbit yet. I love the wood stove option with the inner inverted cone.
Today's coffee out snowshoeing — ahh! I gathered dead elm as I neared a sheltered spot, found some birchbark at the spot, and used white cedar (arbour vitae) as a quick flame on top of the birch bark. About 25 minutes of tinkering and rest from stopping to moving again.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161229/8972ff985ceaefa06639580c30941cd5.jpg

trailmercury
12-29-2016, 10:06
Nice pics of both kits, thanks for sharing Trallium and Tflaris!
I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a Sidewinder Ti-Tri with a Toaks 900 (130mm) and the inferno without floor. Ordered some titanium from Dutch gear and gonna make my own floor. Also ordered a Starlyte from Zelph.
Thanks again for all the responses on this thread and the other similar thread about the 12-10/Fancee Feast!
Happy Hiking!

rhjanes
12-29-2016, 11:03
Good move. I have fiddled with two from them, and the Zelph also. They were very helpful in me changing out pieces of the system. Selling me just the things I'd wanted to change up. Very nice system.

Rex Clifton
01-05-2017, 20:45
No experience with the ti-tr,i but I have a standard caldera cone that I use with my snow peak trek 700, and it has become my go to stove system. The reason it's so great is the Snow Peak nests perfectly over the Caldera Cone tube. Inside the tube is the cone, stove and 10 oz alchy bottle. It all fits neatly in the side pocket of my pack.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk