PDA

View Full Version : Fontana Dam

TSWisla
12-29-2016, 18:51
Still planning my section hike and had a question. I understand the the Fontana visitor center is closed until May 1st, does this mean that there are no showers available there? Is there anywhere to camp around there? I was planning to camp in/near Fontana before I get into GSMNP. Thank you.

saltysack
12-29-2016, 18:54
Showers near shelter not at visitor center... few hundred yards before dam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TSWisla
12-29-2016, 18:55
They are open in April?

saltysack
12-29-2016, 19:00
I believe open all year I enjoyed a SSS there few winters ago after finishing that section...

MuddyWaters
12-29-2016, 19:13
You can camp at the Fontana Hilton.
Or, you can camp below the dam at the campground if you 1) pay and 2) trust the dam not to bust
Or you can stay at the Hike Inn or Tuskeegee Inn. I stayed at the Tuskeegee once in April...discovered they dont have no heat since really onlly summer business. Just as cold inside as outside.

Or you can stay at the hotel in Fontana Village.

Theres showers at the shelter and the visitor center. Every time Ive been there I can recall the visitor center showers have been open. They may be closed at some point in winter.

TSWisla
12-29-2016, 19:17
OK, great, so I should have no problems at the end of April. Thank you. This really helps.

TNhiker
12-29-2016, 19:41
Showers near shelter not at visitor center... few hundred yards before dam.

there are also showers at the visitors center....

not sure if those have the time frame as the visitors center though...

saltysack
12-29-2016, 22:31
there are also showers at the visitors center....

not sure if those have the time frame as the visitors center though...

Ok didn't realize they we're at both places but ones at shelter were open in January few years ago so assume open year round.

Pheral
12-30-2016, 00:02
I hiked to Shuckstack from Fontana a week ago, and they were doing some work on the showers/bathrooms. They were closed, as was the visitor center.

Engine
12-30-2016, 07:04
Every time I've been there the visitor center showers have always been open, even when the center itself was closed. That water is COLD though... ;)

la.lindsey
12-30-2016, 08:01
The showers at the visitor center have been closed for me in January and February. The bathrooms at the shelter have been open in February, but for some reason I didn't check on the showers. Hand dryers worked though, and I can sit under those puppies for a while :)

daddytwosticks
12-30-2016, 08:08
Every time I've been there the visitor center showers have always been open, even when the center itself was closed. That water is COLD though... ;)

Finished up a Labor Day weekend hike there a few years ago. The showers at the Visitor's Center were very clean and hot when I used them. Very nice set up and very much appreciated. The long term parking there is also very secure. I enjoyed the ice cream from the small store. :)

slbirdnerd
12-30-2016, 13:13
As an option, The Hike Inn Fontana can pick you up and take you to the inn for overnight. http://thehikeinn.com/

pilgrimskywheel
12-31-2016, 12:33
The Hilton ROCKS! In winter they board up the one side, and it has a hiker box frequently stocked by local Angels. That's a killer shower too in the nearby bath house. Save your ducats for suds. Keep your eyes peeled for old Karl - he'll catch ya!

Sandy of PA
12-31-2016, 13:03
The Lodge at Fontana is also very nice with a hiker discount, I have enjoyed four nights there over the years. Includes swimming in their lazy river during the summer season.

glenlawson
01-01-2017, 13:38
We were at Fontana Dam on 12/30. The visitors center was closed and the bathrooms were locked. The signs indicated that they wouldn't be open until May. We didn't go to the shelter or elsewhere, it was a car trip to see Fontana.

Pheral
02-08-2017, 19:36
Just FYI, I was at Fontana Dam today, and the showers and restrooms at the visitor center were closed for renovations still. Showers just above the Fontana Hilton were open.

Harrison Bergeron
02-08-2017, 21:33
Still planning my section hike and had a question. I understand the the Fontana visitor center is closed until May 1st, does this mean that there are no showers available there? Is there anywhere to camp around there? I was planning to camp in/near Fontana before I get into GSMNP. Thank you.

The lodge at Fontana Village is fabulous and cheap -- $70/night as I recall. I dropped several of my hiking buddies there after we picked up my truck at the Hike Inn. But my biggest regret at ending my section at Fontana was missing the chance to stay at the Fontana "Hilton". After a month of typical rustic AT shelters, the Fontana shelter with its running water, hot showers, and fantastic view of the lake will take your breath away. I'm pretty sure it's open all year. It has nothing to do with the visitor center, which doesn't have anything you care about, anyway, unless you want to buy a T-shirt and a Cliff bar.

Engine
02-09-2017, 05:10
...It has nothing to do with the visitor center, which doesn't have anything you care about, anyway, unless you want to buy a T-shirt and a Cliff bar. Ummmm, the visitor center has Klondike bars...after 2 weeks on the trail I CARE about Klondike bars! :D

Harrison Bergeron
02-09-2017, 21:31
Ummmm, the visitor center has Klondike bars...after 2 weeks on the trail I CARE about Klondike bars! :D

Excellent point! I withdraw the comment!