PDA

View Full Version : Winding Gap to NOC

Tundracamper
12-29-2016, 19:54
I'm planning to hike this in mid to late January. Are there any majors areas along this section that have significant fire damage? I've had a sinus procedure lately and don't want to have to deal with smelling smoke for more than just short periods of time.

MuddyWaters
12-29-2016, 20:34
Yes
Wesser and Wayah towers burned so for sure theres fire damage

ScareBear
12-29-2016, 20:40
Yes
Wesser and Wayah towers burned so for sure theres fire damage

Still scratching my head at how Wayah roof burned off...that was a clear fire break surrounding it, a paved road leading to it and surely it rated as a structure to be protected....

soumodeler
12-29-2016, 21:36
Still scratching my head at how Wayah roof burned off...that was a clear fire break surrounding it, a paved road leading to it and surely it rated as a structure to be protected....Flying embers most likely.

daddytwosticks
12-30-2016, 08:12
Still scratching my head at how Wayah roof burned off...that was a clear fire break surrounding it, a paved road leading to it and surely it rated as a structure to be protected....

I saw a photo posted on Facebook that showed the entire top of Wayah bald engulfed in fire. It was very dramatic and a bit sickening. So I can understand about the stone tower being damaged in that inferno. WRT the Wesser tower, I thought that rumor about it being destroyed by fire was de-bunked? :)

Tundracamper
12-30-2016, 10:12
Does that mean those entire areas are charred? I'm guessing it does. If it's a 500 ft wide strip, no biggee. But if it's a 5 mile wide strip, then I might find somewhere else to go. Nobody can seem to tell me general trail conditions in that area with respect to fire damage. I guess folks are avoiding the area.

Patrickjd9
12-30-2016, 20:23
I have a spring section hike planned for this stretch. My guess is that the main issue will be camping, which could be messy (if not restricted) early in the year.

Carl7
12-30-2016, 20:57
I recently hiked this section and had a great time. The fire damage was not an issue and the water sources had water. The Wesser Bald Fire Tower had about a 7 or 8 inch hole burned through one of the planks in the middle of the fire tower floor. A railing board had been pried off to place over the hole to keep someone from stepping in the hole in the dark. The guy I was hiking with and myself liked the Wayah Bald Fire Tower without a roof. It had a nice open feeling like the Wesser Bald Tower. The fire got right up to the Wesser Bald Tower and embers must have caused the roof to burn. The fires really did not affect most of the larger trees in the forest. The forest views from the towers were nice. The fires mostly burned the underbrush. The leaves on the laurels were brown. I would not let the fires effect your decision to hike this area. The fires were most likely a good thing for the forest by thinning the underbrush. I will say, the trails were in outstanding condition. The fire crews and maintainers have really done a great job of clearing the trail short of vacuuming it. I hiked a long section in Maine this summer, and this section was a walk in the park compared to Maine. The trails were so smooth with real switchbacks.

MuddyWaters
12-30-2016, 20:59
Its always been one of my favorite southern sections due to views , and towers. Ive taken several AT virgins to do it.

Good to hear wesser is in ok shape and so is trail.

Carl7
12-30-2016, 21:09
I agree, this is an outstanding section of the AT.

Tundracamper
12-31-2016, 11:43
That's good to hear. If sounds like I'll be able to find a decent camping spot that's not covered in ashes. That was my main concern, besides a constant smell.

Rhughesnc
04-23-2017, 21:36
Heading there in 2 weeks. Thanks for the intel

Tundracamper
04-25-2017, 18:47
That's funny this should pop up again. I ended up not going back then, but am planning the actual trip quite shortly. I'm assuming most of the ashy ground is back to normal dirt - at least right on the trail and at campsites. Hope so!

Uncle Joe
04-25-2017, 21:01
I hiked sections leading up to WS over the last couple of weeks. Some areas are scorched more than others but frankly the "smoke smell" largely wasn't present and wasn't an issue.

Rhughesnc
05-04-2017, 10:42
Thanks, I have heard it is holding up with all the rain. Good sign.