PDA

View Full Version : Tall folks and tents

Tolmann
12-29-2016, 23:42
I'm 6'6". Looking at SMD Trekker and LHG Solong 6. Don't think I'll have Any buyer's remorse if I get the LHG, but it is $100 more than the SMD. Nice year end sales to take advantage of, so timing here is crucial...

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

trailmercury
12-29-2016, 23:53
I'm 6'6". Looking at SMD Trekker and LHG Solong 6. Don't think I'll have Any buyer's remorse if I get the LHG, but it is $100 more than the SMD. Nice year end sales to take advantage of, so timing here is crucial...

Thoughts?

Have you considered sleeping diagonal in a Zpacks Duplex?

Engine
12-30-2016, 07:36

The floor in a Duplex is 7 1/2 feet and since the walls actually come down 4-6 inches beyond the bathtub floor on the ends, you should have ample room to sleep in a normal position.

The Tarptent Rainbow and Double Rainbow both offer 88" of useable length.

The Black Diamond Mega Light offers 86" of length.

MLD has some options which would be more than long enough. The Doumid and the Solomid XL are around 9 feet long.

garlic08
12-30-2016, 08:31
Sorry I can't answer your specific question, but I hike quite a bit with a 6'7" dude ("The Two-Meter Man") and he really likes his Tarptent Contrail (replaced by the Protrail). It's about the only piece of gear he doesn't complain about being too small.

Gambit McCrae
12-30-2016, 09:47
I am only 6'4" but I have recently gone to a Cuben Tarp, with a tyvek floor.
I as well have been thinking about going to a syl square tarp I have by brooks.

I have posted the brooks setup here as well as the cuben, the Cuben tarp feels like it should def be longer, and As a result, I have gone back to TT's By henry shires

nsherry61
12-30-2016, 09:57
The floor in a Duplex is 7 1/2 feet and since the walls actually come down 4-6 inches beyond the bathtub floor on the ends, you should have ample room to sleep in a normal position.

MLD has some options which would be more than long enough. The Doumid and the Solomid XL are around 9 feet long.
I'm only 6'4" and 90" is about the minimum length that works for sleeping lengthwise (not diagonal) in a tent for me. You've gotta have room below your feet and above your head for bag loft and room to move without pushing out the tent walls too much. 88" of tent floor just doesn't cut it, even if my body is only 76" long.

liteweight
12-30-2016, 10:11
I'm 6'4 and have a Henry Shires Tarptent Double rainbow. I have plenty of room with neoair and bag loft.

Dogwood
12-30-2016, 10:18

I'm only 6'4" and 90" is about the minimum length that works for sleeping lengthwise (not diagonal) in a tent for me. You've gotta have room below your feet and above your head for bag loft and room to move without pushing out the tent walls too much. 88" of tent floor just doesn't cut it, even if my body is only 76" long.

I'm also 6'4" 210 lbs med frame. I can't fit in the ZP Duplex even diagonally with my XL sleeping bags or quilts. I sold my Duplex with this being one of the main reasons.

No problem in the MLD Solomid. The Solomid first came in the reg length or the longer length Solomid XL. The latest Solomid version is just one version very close in dimensions to the old Solomid XL. The Solomid has a small range of heights it can be erected that increases/decreases the floor area including the length and width. I'd like to have the option of pitching The Solomid to the ground but if pitched 4" off the ground around the perimeter you can gain even additional floor area including length. This seems to be one of the design approaches in several tarp tents like Packs which make up the space with a bathtub wall. IMO I wouldn't go with the Solomid if 6'7" or over.

carouselambra
12-30-2016, 11:51
I am 6'5" and I use a Solong 6. I appreciate the roominess of the tent, especially after using a MH PCT 1 for years. Because I use a thicker sleep pad (Big Agnes Q-Core SL) and elevate my head with makeshift pillow, my head is susceptible to touching the ceiling when sleeping. You have to be careful in below freezing temps as if you bump the ceiling you can have the frozen condensation falling on your face. Because of that I sleep with my feet all the way at the end and things work well. I like the tent so much I purchased a second one used here on WB so that my son can use one when he takes the occasional trip with me.

Slo-go'en
12-30-2016, 13:00
The Trekker would definitely be too short for a 6' 6" guy. I'm about 6' and it just barely works for me.

Engine
12-30-2016, 16:56
I just received an email from MLD, they are offering a 10% discount through midnight tomorrow on orders over $200, just mention 10% in the order comments. The email states 10% will be refunded after the order is placed, their system apparently doesn't have a coupon code spot. I know this sounds fishy, but I've dealt with MLD in the past and they're a reputable company.

ScareBear
12-30-2016, 17:11

I guess 3 inches is a world of difference...

my BA is 90" long and at 6'1", it doesn't matter, because my mat is 78" (6'6")long. So, that leaves six inches on either end, or, put the pad up to the end, and there is a foot between the mat and the door. Plenty of room, for me, either way. If I lost an inch at both ends with an 88" floor, I doubt I would notice the difference...YMMV...

AfterParty
12-30-2016, 19:54
If was in the tent market it would be a protrail

Dogwood
12-30-2016, 23:07
I just received an email from MLD, they are offering a 10% discount through midnight tomorrow on orders over $200, just mention 10% in the order comments. The email states 10% will be refunded after the order is placed, their system apparently doesn't have a coupon code spot. I know this sounds fishy, but I've dealt with MLD in the past and they're a reputable company.

Just bought some gear from Mountain Laurel Designs using my credit card. MLD/Ron Bell credited my card back the discount. Ron Bell is straight up about taking care of biz with excellent customer service delivering as promised.

scrabbler
12-30-2016, 23:32
What matters is how steep the walls are - a totally vertical wall would be awesome but most every tent I ever use has some sort of curve and lessens the amount of useable space at each end. I sleep diagonally in a 90" tent and it works for me when I need to tent, but I mostly hammock in a longer length hammock - that works better for me. If I were set on a tent, I would work with one of these better cottage tent makers and get something 12" longer than the biggest they make and call it a day. The weight isnt going to be THAT much more. The price might go up a good bit, but having the perfect tent vs hitting the walls every night ... worth it. To me, at least.

Tolmann
01-09-2017, 15:42
Ended up springing for the Solong 6. Haven't had a chance to set it up yet, but itching for the chance!