PDA

View Full Version : Repair Kits

Guyler
12-30-2016, 12:16
I have zpack duplex that I'll be taking on my 2017 attempt.

What are your opinions on a repair kit for that and for other gear?

2EZ
12-30-2016, 12:39
I am taking a repair patch for my tent, pack, and sleeping pad, and a small tube of super glue.
IMO, it is a minuscule weight penalty to have some insurance on gear I will be depending on every day.

Slo-go'en
12-30-2016, 12:54
I carry a mattress repair kit (alcohol wipe and patch), a container of tenacious tape, some sticky backed nylon repair patch (check the sewing dept of Walmart), pair of small scissors and a sewing kit consisting of thimble, several needles and the needle eye threading aid thingie, thread and some safety and straight pins. The sewing kit has helped me out several times, haven't needed the other stuff so far.

Tipi Walter
12-30-2016, 13:07
I carry a mattress repair kit (alcohol wipe and patch), a container of tenacious tape, some sticky backed nylon repair patch (check the sewing dept of Walmart), pair of small scissors and a sewing kit consisting of thimble, several needles and the needle eye threading aid thingie, thread and some safety and straight pins. The sewing kit has helped me out several times, haven't needed the other stuff so far.

Slo-go'en pretty much sums up my style. Pad repair kit is mandatory is you carry an inflatable and want to fix it if possible in the field. I was out a couple months ago when on Day 1 my Thermy trail pro pad sprung a pinhole leak. Luckily I was camping next to Bald River and so I blew the baby up hard and dunked it repeatedly in the creek and found the tiny bubbles coming up. Brought it back to camp and dried it and smeared Cascade Designs glue on the hole and it works.

I also carry a tube of McNett's silnet sealer for holes in my silnylon tent fly. Easily found in a hard rain. For bigger rips I use a regular McNetts ripstop repair tape (won't stick to silnylon!) and combined with Silnet sealer these patches work well.

My sewing kit is three needles pre-threaded with strong dental floss and ready to go in the field.

And don't forget your stove repair kit just in case. I use a white gas stove year-round and always bring a repair kit and a brand new pump just in case regular stove pump dies a mysterious death.

Also bring a brand new hipbelt for my pack---a broken buckle ruins a trip. And we step on these things all the time.

Guyler
12-30-2016, 13:30
For a cuben fiber tent, does anyone have a recommendation on what to bring and where to get it?

Deadeye
12-30-2016, 13:37
I include a few zip ties in my repair kit - lots of uses

Guyler
12-30-2016, 13:42
I include a few zip ties in my repair kit - lots of uses

That's a good idea!

MuddyWaters
12-30-2016, 14:11
For a cuben fiber tent, does anyone have a recommendation on what to bring and where to get it?

duct tape works fine for a semi-permanent repair on cuben shelter. It can be replaced with cuben tape whenever its convenient. I would not use cuben repair tape unless someplace where you can insure item is clean, flat, and do it right for permanent repair. In other words, use duct tape for field repair and do it right later.

a repair kit for inflatable is a good idea.

ScareBear
12-30-2016, 15:37
Repair kit for inflatable mat is a necessity in winter, not a luxury, IMHO.

Tent repair, for Sil/Nylon is the glue and patch. Note that this field repair will void your BA warranty for that part of the tent!!

For Cuben, you can use duct tape, but by sure to go past the tear at least 1/2 the length of the tear, in both directions...

I also carry a large gauge curved needle and 1-0 silk suture thread for repairs to both gear, and humans...just sayin...

Engine
12-30-2016, 17:20
My repair kit consists of some cuben tape, a couple small zip ties, 2 medium sized safety pins, a sleeping pad patch, a needle and thread, a 4x4 inch piece of ripstop nylon, and some duct tape wrapped around a hiking pole. The entire things weighs about 2.5 ounces.

If I was still using a water filter that required silicone for the o-ring, I would bring a small tube of that as well.

ScareBear
12-30-2016, 22:25
You can multipurpose your chapstick as lube for the MSR filter o-rings...

Fireplug
01-01-2017, 15:21
I have zpack duplex that I'll be taking on my 2017 attempt.

What are your opinions on a repair kit for that and for other gear?
you should have gotten some cuban fiber tape eith your tent. If not order some from Zpacks. Great stuff

Engine
01-01-2017, 16:23
You can multipurpose your chapstick as lube for the MSR filter o-rings...

That is an excellent tip, thanks! Also, would the petrolatum based anti-blister balm do the same thing?

ScareBear
01-01-2017, 16:44
That is an excellent tip, thanks! Also, would the petrolatum based anti-blister balm do the same thing?
MSR's instruction sheet for the MicroWorks specs their silicone lube or lip balm or petrolatum. So, its GTG!

pilgrimskywheel
01-01-2017, 17:19
My repair kit consists of some cuben tape, a couple small zip ties, 2 medium sized safety pins, a sleeping pad patch, a needle and thread, a 4x4 inch piece of ripstop nylon, and some duct tape wrapped around a hiking pole. The entire things weighs about 2.5 ounces.

If I was still using a water filter that required silicone for the o-ring, I would bring a small tube of that as well.

Nailed it. All info is good here too though. Love the zippies! Nothing says "I love you bro!" like whipping out a zip tie for your crying fellow hiker - all most as many uses as duck-it! I like to pack a square of double adhesive backed Velcro too. A trick I learned when the fly went out on my pants/shorts and I found the stuff in a hiker box. Nothing says I'm kind of a dope like always leaving the barn door open!