PDA

View Full Version : suspenders vs belt

strollin
12-30-2016, 21:52
Curious as to everyone's choice.. Thanks in advance.:-?

moldy
12-30-2016, 22:00
Every year I see hundreds of hikers on the AT and one in a hundred will have suspenders

ScareBear
12-30-2016, 22:39
I prefer a belt for hiking in anything but the snow. For efforting in snow, I prefer suspenders on my snow pants, instead of a belt. YMMV...

nsherry61
12-30-2016, 23:30
Curious as to everyone's choice.. Thanks in advance.:-?
I always wore suspenders on my winter mountaineering/ski pants in the past. I strongly prefer suspenders/bibs for my cycling shorts. It's never even crossed my mind to consider suspenders for backpacking. They'd be heavier than the belts I use. The clips, although along the waistline, might still be out of the way enough not to be pressure spots under a hip belt? Might be worth a try, although, I don't think I'd need them with my running shorts. My gut instinct is that they would be extra complexity in a system that uses light enough materials that it might not be a significant benefit.

jefals
12-31-2016, 04:37
I've been thinkin about changing to suspenders. with the belt, even pulled as tight as possible, the pants start sliding down, then I have to hitch em up - which isn't so easy with a heavy pack on.

rocketsocks
12-31-2016, 04:58
I like suspenders on my ill fitting rain pants, they're always fallin' down.

Traveler
12-31-2016, 06:48
I prefer belts as opposed to wearing suspenders under pack straps.

Malto
12-31-2016, 10:11
Neither. Draw string on shorts or properly fitted pants.

Puddlefish
12-31-2016, 10:14
All depends on how far you've let yourself go. If you have the belly and the scrawny old man butt, go with the suspenders. You could of course work on specific exercises, diet and posture to mitigate these effects, but that won't work overnight. The suspenders might serve in the short term.

DuneElliot
12-31-2016, 10:35
Elastic. No belts, no suspenders.

cmoulder
12-31-2016, 12:39
I use suspenders with my winter pants, which are REI Mistrals (no longer under that name, current equivalent unknown)... similar to MH Screes... made of a Schoeller type fabric. They stretch and they won't stay up no matter what belt I've tried.

Best suspenders I've tried are the Montbell suspenders (http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?p_id=1109021).

Suspenders are very annoying when Nature Calls. Mountaineering bibs with drop seat are highly preferred but also a lot heavier and much more expensive.

DanTaylor
12-31-2016, 13:12
Elastic. No belts, no suspenders.
My choice as well