PDA

View Full Version : New Bozeman Mountain Works sleeping bag?

Tree-girl
01-19-2006, 12:19
Hey all,
I'm looking to get a good happy medium between a summer bag and something that can be stretched to a sorta 3-season. Light weight is a must. I was looking in the Backpacker Gear Guide '05 and noticed the Bozeman Mountain Works Cataclysm, rated at 33 degrees, 1 lb 2 oz, synthetic. I was waiting for it to be released and see some reviews on it, but I hear they recalled it in the factory to fix some kind of glitch and it won't be out until I'm about to leave. So, my question is... anyone have previous experience with Bozeman products and would you recommend the company, and also would it be really stupid to buy it before it's really been tried? Thanks everyone.

Footslogger
01-19-2006, 12:58
So, my question is... anyone have previous experience with Bozeman products and would you recommend the company, and also would it be really stupid to buy it before it's really been tried? Thanks everyone.
================================
I learned about Bozeman products as a result of taking a membership to Backpackinglight.com. I have placed about 5 orders to date and have had excellent experience ...both with the company (customer service) and the products.

'Slogger

tlbj6142
01-19-2006, 13:07
First, its not available yet. In fact, its only been briefly mentioned in the newsletters, etc from bpl.com. Which makes me think its a long ways off. Nothing happens fast on bpl (for BMW). I doubt it will be out before Xmas. Heck, in the previous gear guide they listed 2 packs. Neither of which have seen the light of day yet.

That said, I've bought too many things from these guys and have been happy with just about everything (except for their latest book).

TACKLE
01-19-2006, 15:09
Tree Girl,
I don't know anything about Bozeman bags but,I saw that you know how to sew.You should make your own bag.I made my own and it worked great!It's a quilt bag.You can make it what ever rating you need.Mine only weighed a pound.It was much cheaper but the reward and pride of making your own is priceless.Check out the kits on his website.I also made my own tarp.
ALOHA,
TACKLE

tlbj6142
01-19-2006, 17:46
Good point about DIY stuff. A synthetic filled quilt is probably the easiest DIY project short of making a stuff sack. Heck, I bet it would take me longer to build another doubled-walled alcohol stove than it would to make a synthetic filled quilt with Ray's kit.

BTW, here's the URL, www.ray-way.com.

HikeLite
01-20-2006, 01:50
Wait til you know the price first. BPL stuff is high priced. The WM Highlite as a 35 degree bag is what I'd buy.

bulldog49
01-20-2006, 09:20
https://www2.montbell.com/america/asp/products/Spg_shosai.asp?cat=1101&hinban=2321665

Montbell has some nice bags. The number 4 or number 5 sound like what you're looking for.

Tree-girl
01-20-2006, 13:12
Thanks for the advice everyone! I'll take a look at the quilt kit. I was actually looking at both the highlite and the montbell bags. I'm just hesitant about getting a down bag... Mainly because I want to play it safe and I use a tarp and a bivy sack (waterproof bottom, not top) and sometimes like to sleep under the stars (dew). That being said, the down has always been tempting. :-) I think the BMW is about $299, which is more than I'd like, but I've saved up for a new bag and could manage it. I'll definately look around at some other possibilities though. thanks!

peter_pan
01-21-2006, 00:45
Thanks for the advice everyone! I'll take a look at the quilt kit. I was actually looking at both the highlite and the montbell bags. I'm just hesitant about getting a down bag... Mainly because I want to play it safe and I use a tarp and a bivy sack (waterproof bottom, not top) and sometimes like to sleep under the stars (dew). That being said, the down has always been tempting. :-) I think the BMW is about $299, which is more than I'd like, but I've saved up for a new bag and could manage it. I'll definately look around at some other possibilities though. thanks!

How about a sub 16 oz down No Sniveller Universal quilt? .... probably about $189-199... Two models coming standard 78 x 48 and Trapaziod 78 x 61/52/38 for the ground folk... expect final design and availability by 10 Feb... watch JRB web site...guarenteed avail for Spring 06 Thru.

Pan

mike!
01-23-2006, 02:20
Pan,
yehaw, i geuss Neverland isn't so far away...youve got me excited about the new quilts! any other specs you would care to reveal about the quilts. for the trapaziod quilt are you going to get rid of the drawstring footbox? omni tape headhole? i've always been a fan of the omni tape headhole... but dont think it would work quite the same with a closed footbox. (but then again, you might get a cool dragon look, also maybe you could haul water in the footbox when your wearing the quilt... except for the strangling part...) i would love to see if you guys could do a variable girth idea like the arc quilts from Nunatak, of course a different strapping system or something for originalities sake.
just curious,
mike!

peter_pan
01-26-2006, 21:01
Pan,
yehaw, i geuss Neverland isn't so far away...youve got me excited about the new quilts! any other specs you would care to reveal about the quilts. for the trapaziod quilt are you going to get rid of the drawstring footbox? omni tape headhole? i've always been a fan of the omni tape headhole... but dont think it would work quite the same with a closed footbox. (but then again, you might get a cool dragon look, also maybe you could haul water in the footbox when your wearing the quilt... except for the strangling part...) i would love to see if you guys could do a variable girth idea like the arc quilts from Nunatak, of course a different strapping system or something for originalities sake.
just curious,
mike!

Mike,

The 78x48x1.5 quilt is announced on our site as the Stealth universal quilt...comes in at 14.5 oz...real nice.

We are currently on hold on the trapaziod model... original plans were way to large when we mocked them up....Then, when we cut them back to more like the minimum required for some one of average build up to 180-200 pound and say a 38 inch waist we were virtually back to the standard dimensions... so we have decided stick with the standard JRB design as it has more utility... It is still a nice quilt for the ground...BTW, We will make it or the No Sniveller, or ORM with two tabs on each side so that a ground dweller can add a draw cord or shock cord lacing... No Charge for this modification just let us know on your order or by separate e-mail.

Hope this helps.

Pan