PDA

View Full Version : Food saver question

SubSquid
12-31-2016, 11:18
I tried to vacuum seal some teriyaki noodles just to see how it works and problems I may have. The problem I found is the noodles poke holes in the bags. Can someone give me some advice shy of breaking the noodles down to flakes? Thank you in advance.

HooKooDooKu
12-31-2016, 11:49
Look for an Oriental market in your area and you can get noodles packaged like spaghetti.
You can also find them on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LKX6R8/ref=s9_top_hd_bw_b765eCR_g325_i3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX 0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-5&pf_rd_r=GNZ9M4QFXJF3TMK1P73R&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=53f55b7d-8ccb-5508-ae2b-c9f301b47ac8&pf_rd_i=6502934011
Basicly we're talking Ramen Noodles under a different name.

Hosh
12-31-2016, 12:46
If that doesn't work and your FoodSaver has a canister option, use mason jars.

Puddlefish
12-31-2016, 13:09
I wrapped a few sharpish food items in a paper towel to prevent punctures.

SubSquid
12-31-2016, 16:51
I wrapped a few sharpish food items in a paper towel to prevent punctures.

I will try that. The teriyaki was just the flavor I bought because it was a dollar. The puncture was what concerned me because things I have dehydrated have had sharp edges.

Dogwood
12-31-2016, 21:33
I tried to vacuum seal some teriyaki noodles just to see how it works and problems I may have. The problem I found is the noodles poke holes in the bags. Can someone give me some advice shy of breaking the noodles down to flakes? Thank you in advance.

Went through the same hoops using my brother's 2 mil vacuum sealing bags and sealer. had to order heavier wt(greater mils thickness) different special vacuum sealer bags of 3 and 4 mils for some foods to not poke holes through the cheaper less expensive vacuum sealer bags. BTW, the thicker vacuum sealer bags up cost and wt in the vacuum sealing process. I started moving away from vacuum sealing because I was already spending considerable food prep time, dehydrating time, and boxing up, posting, and sealing resupply boxes. The vacuum sealing added to the input of resources including my time needed.

Dogwood
12-31-2016, 21:36
BTW, what kind and why are you vacuum sealing Teriyaki Noodles? Teriyaki Noodles in several brands can be bought or just about any noodle can have Teriyaki flavoring added to it as you buy noodles along the way.

rocketsocks
01-01-2017, 02:38
Went through the same hoops using my brother's 2 mil vacuum sealing bags and sealer. had to order heavier wt(greater mils thickness) different special vacuum sealer bags of 3 and 4 mils for some foods to not poke holes through the cheaper less expensive vacuum sealer bags. BTW, the thicker vacuum sealer bags up cost and wt in the vacuum sealing process. I started moving away from vacuum sealing because I was already spending considerable food prep time, dehydrating time, and boxing up, posting, and sealing resupply boxes. The vacuum sealing added to the input of resources including my time needed.one trick I learned is to wrap what ever is being sealed in waxpaper first then seal, keeps things like hard macaroni noodles from punctuing bag and loosing seal...remove paper before adding hot water.

HooKooDooKu
01-01-2017, 03:35
... why are you vacuum sealing ...

For breakable food stuff, vacuum sealing them will strengthen them... assuming the vacuum process doesn't crush the food to begin with.

So spaghetti... great idea.
Potato Chips... bad idea.
Oreo's with double stuff... ausome... if you freeze them first to avoid smushing the 'stuff'.
Chewy Chips Ahoy cookies do well... if you don't mind them getting fused into one thick cookie.
Little Debbie Brownies... bad idea, it squeezes the oils out.
Soft Tortilla Shells... make sure to seperate them 1st with wax paper.
A stack of foam paper plates... worked great (used that as a money saver for a trip to Disney World... prepackaged lunches using the vacuum sealer so that it could bounce around in a backpack all morning)

SubSquid
01-01-2017, 04:56
BTW, what kind and why are you vacuum sealing Teriyaki Noodles? Teriyaki Noodles in several brands can be bought or just about any noodle can have Teriyaki flavoring added to it as you buy noodles along the way.
I have a food saver vac 360. I was just using them to try the sealer for the first time and the package was only $1 so if I wouldn't eat them I wasn't worried about wasting them.
I didn't know you could get thicker bags. Thanks for all that.