PDA

View Full Version : Week Long Group Hike

MoutainGirl
01-01-2017, 08:00
I saw that a group of women organized a week long section hike in 2016 on taptalk. I'm 55, a slower hiker, done a few two-nighters on the AT, but lacking people that want to section hike or meetup/AMC type groups in my area that backpack. I'm wondering if the group that hiked last year is planning on doing it again or if there are others interested in doing a group section hike. I'm in Massachusetts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Half
01-01-2017, 23:31
I saw that a group of women organized a week long section hike in 2016 on taptalk. I'm 55, a slower hiker, done a few two-nighters on the AT, but lacking people that want to section hike or meetup/AMC type groups in my area that backpack. I'm wondering if the group that hiked last year is planning on doing it again or if there are others interested in doing a group section hike. I'm in Massachusetts.

Check the AMC Boston Chapter for hikes.

doeontrail
01-24-2017, 13:24
Hi, I was in the group of 10 hiking for a week last summer. We ended up doing about 69 miles. It was a great adventure. Ask any questions you may have...One of our ladies is doing a thru hike this year! Where are you interested in hiking? I would enjoy another week on the trail. And, we can put the word out to others. Doe

QuietStorm
01-24-2017, 13:54
I might also be interested. Have section hiked from Blackburn Trail Center to Port Clinton, PA--mostly out and back (so both NOBO and SOBO).

doeontrail
01-25-2017, 12:11
HI Quiet Storm! I will keep checking back to this thread and see who is interested in hiking and if there are any specific locations we need to concentrate the hike in. Also, the dates that people are free to hike in. How was the trail along that section? I have only hiked as far north as the Washington Monument. Doe

QuietStorm
01-26-2017, 07:55
Hi Doeontrail! PA is a trip (literally). I have six more hikes to go to get to the NJ border and then it's on to VA. I want to do the big states. I've completed MD and WV NOBO and SOBO but they're so small it doesn't really count.

EO.
01-27-2017, 13:02
I am interested in this trip depending on the dates... I'll keep checking back.

doeontrail
01-30-2017, 13:17
Best dates for me are Easter week and the last two weeks in August. I was thinking about hiking south thru the Shenandoah's in April and do something farther north in August (New Jersey-Vermont area). But, I am very flexible and as long as I am hiking the AT, I'm happy.

doeontrail
02-11-2017, 13:25
Quiet Storm, Are you hiking weekends thru pa? How many miles per day do you hike? Do you use shuttles or hike out and then hike back to your car? Do you camp overnight? i'm going to start whittling away at PA and looking at options. If you have shuttled, do you have a favorite driver? Thanks, Doe

QuietStorm
02-11-2017, 18:25
Quiet Storm, Are you hiking weekends thru pa? How many miles per day do you hike? Do you use shuttles or hike out and then hike back to your car? Do you camp overnight? i'm going to start whittling away at PA and looking at options. If you have shuttled, do you have a favorite driver? Thanks, Doe

Yes, weekends. I'm in VA this weekend because of the snow in PA. Plan to do Eckville to Lehigh Gap next weekend. Still working on the shuttle. Will be doing Lehigh Gap to Wind Gap the following weekend. I already have my shuttle lined up for that. I do overnight--1 or 2 nights depending on if I can take a day off.

trobichau
02-12-2017, 11:02
I'd be interested in a group hike as well- age 59 . I'd like to connect with hikers in my at or near age group.

Autumn Flower
03-20-2017, 16:25
I am looking to hike about 30 to 40 miles starting at springer. After June 20 start I am 53 and very green in backpacking world.

Khs777
03-25-2017, 09:14
I'm 52 and planning on going from Delaware Water Gap to Bear Mt starting July 22 if anyone is interested. I did most of MA last summer alone & it might be nice to have a hiking partner.

Kjp
03-27-2017, 20:54
I'd love to join a group hiking a large section. My dates are very flexible. I've hiked GA through to Grayson Highlands in VA. So anything else would suit me. Thanks!

K

nadine3dogs
03-28-2017, 01:21
I'm interested in section hiking. 49 years old also in MA

Purposeful Wandering
03-31-2017, 21:32
I'm planning to hike another section, about 60 miles, late spring in Vermont. I'm 37, also in MA. Currently planning to go alone. I've hiked all of CT and MA so far....steadily working north for now.

doeontrail
04-08-2017, 23:00
Anyone ready to hike Aug 20-27? We can do NY, CT, MASS, or VT? Any preference?

JennyLynn
04-09-2017, 10:31
I'd be interested. Haven't done any of it yet and would love to start closer to GA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

EO.
04-10-2017, 09:01
Anyone ready to hike Aug 20-27? We can do NY, CT, MASS, or VT? Any preference?

I can do Aug 20-27. No preference on the location. Will be my first steps on the AT!

Peg
04-27-2017, 15:58
Anyone interested in backpacking the AT for a week (June 2-9, 2017) in or around the Asheville area?
The start & finish points are variable, maybe even trying to end up in Damascus. I'm not looking to lay down a bunch of miles, rather enjoy the hike, but also willing to push it a little in an effort to see what I'm capable of in order to consider a 2018 thru-hike. Would like to hook up with a small group. I'm 54 yrs old, fairly fit, avid hiker/backpacker.

Kjp
05-17-2017, 00:32
I can make August 20-27 work as well. No preference on state. I still need to do NY, CT, MA as well.

k

doeontrail
05-24-2017, 11:20
Khs777-How many miles do you cover a day? I might be able to join you.

doeontrail
05-24-2017, 11:34
EO, Nadine3dogs, Quiet Storm, Mountain Girl---HI! It sounded like you all might be interested in hiking in August (20-27). If you're still interested, would you prefer NJ, NY,CT, MASS? The only section I've hiked in these states was Salisbury, CT to Jugs End Rd just over MASS border. I know there are 2 interested in GA from this forum...maybe you can contact each other...? Looking forward to hearing from other interested hikers as well!

doeontrail
05-24-2017, 11:37
OOps...I missed Kjp. I saw you were from Ga, but now that I went back thru..you might be interested in hiking farther north also.

Breindy
05-25-2017, 19:03
I would be interested in hiking Aug 20-27. I'm pretty flexible also, just retired.

NJdreamer
05-25-2017, 21:33
Depending on where you end up going in late August, I am interested. I shuttled with QuietStorm in PA one weekend (thanks!). I have done parts of NJ, NY and CT, so I will wait and hear where you plan to go and if I am available. (I hope to join the semi-retired world soon, and only work periodic temporary jobs.) In NY, I need to do sections 4-13, plus most of NJ is needed.

EO.
05-30-2017, 08:10
EO, Nadine3dogs, Quiet Storm, Mountain Girl---HI! It sounded like you all might be interested in hiking in August (20-27). If you're still interested, would you prefer NJ, NY,CT, MASS? The only section I've hiked in these states was Salisbury, CT to Jugs End Rd just over MASS border. I know there are 2 interested in GA from this forum...maybe you can contact each other...? Looking forward to hearing from other interested hikers as well!

Hi again! I don't have a strong preference on the location, but MA would be my first choice.

Isa23
07-07-2017, 13:02
I realize this thread is over a month old since the last post but if there are still any ladies looking for trips, I'm wanting to do a week long section from Springer Mountain to Neels Gap during the first week of September (2nd - 9th/10th). I'm a first-time, and heavyset, hiker so the pace would be slow (hence the week-long timing). If anyone is interested I'd love to see if I can get a partner/group versus going solo for my first time in the woods.

Also FYI, this is supposed to be my practice hike for a 2018 NOBO.

Isa23
07-11-2017, 10:53
I realize this thread is over a month old since the last post but if there are still any ladies looking for trips, I'm wanting to do a week long section from Springer Mountain to Neels Gap during the first week of September (2nd - 9th/10th). I'm a first-time, and heavyset, hiker so the pace would be slow (hence the week-long timing). If anyone is interested I'd love to see if I can get a partner/group versus going solo for my first time in the woods.

Also FYI, this is supposed to be my practice hike for a 2018 NOBO.

Make that the 2nd week of October

sketcher709
07-31-2017, 18:53
Make that the 2nd week of October

I have a friend in Gainesville that I will visit probably in October and would love to do a weeklong hike with someone slow like me. :)

loriet
08-01-2017, 15:35
Are y'all still looking to go out August 20-27??

surf-to-summit
09-20-2017, 16:11
Are yall still going in october?

speedbump
09-20-2017, 16:43
I am in Mass too. Around your age Always hiking sections. I can keep you posted.

Luna Anderson
10-17-2017, 05:08
Anyone hike AT in Sep 2017? I have a group of 3 people and we plan to hike AT next month. You can join with us, we love to make this group around 6-7 people 'cause we're not quite used to AT.

EO.
10-18-2017, 07:47
Anyone hike AT in Sep 2017? I have a group of 3 people and we plan to hike AT next month. You can join with us, we love to make this group around 6-7 people 'cause we're not quite used to AT.
Hey Luna! I would love to join you. What section are you planning and what dates? I’ve been backpacking in the Midwest but haven’t been on the AT yet. I was hoping to go with a group so this would be a great opportunity!

SharonImm
10-18-2017, 19:27
Hi Luna, I am interested also. I have done a little backpacking on the AT in PA. Doing a little more on Friday. Would love to join a group.

Luna Anderson
10-22-2017, 11:49
Thanks for your interest but I'm sorry I can't make it now. I've got a job in Philippines next month and I have to cancel the trip to AT. Hope that we can go there next year.

staylor
11-28-2017, 00:07
Saw ur post on GA section hiking. I have a group starting march 22 if ur interested. its abt 10 miles a day move at your own pace and we all end up at the same shelter at the end of the day. going from blood mountain to the NC line. let me know if your interested?

clydeb62
12-19-2017, 02:25
I would also also love to do a section hike with other women.I am 59 and learning backpacking.I hike here in Fla as much as I can.Anytime would be great

clydeb62
12-19-2017, 02:29
Any 2018 section hikes scheduled ?would love to go with a group of females

smizey
12-27-2017, 13:28
I would love to do some 2018 long section hikes with a group of girls. I've done all GA and would like to start at Deep Gap.