PDA

View Full Version : Adding TVP granules to mac/lipton/etc ?

AllDownhillFromHere
01-01-2017, 18:19
I'm going to be packing TVP with me. Has anyone had experience adding this to your lipton/mac/ramen/pasta of choice? My thinking is that it will suck up some water, but then sort of tastelessly blend in with the pasta, adding a bit of protein for very little work and packweight.

Does this work?

Dogwood
01-01-2017, 18:35
Everything you said.

Tempeh too. Found often at large grocery stores.

Try quinoa, hempseed, buckwheat, lentils, seeds such as pumpkin/chia/etc , nuts/nut butters, dehydrated legumes and brown rice, hummus and crackers/bread

Hikes in Rain
01-01-2017, 20:07
I've done it, too, and you're spot on. Except it really gave me gas. (Sorry)

Venchka
01-01-2017, 20:31
Natures Plus Pea Protein.
Space saving powder. Works perfectly in powdered milk like Nido. No taste.
Zero sweeteners. No stevia.
Obviously will work in all of the foods on your list.
The best news: 75% Protein by weight. 20 grams of powder = 15 grams of protein.
Forget about TVP.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Venchka
01-01-2017, 20:33
https://naturesplus.com/products/productdetail.php?productNumber=45951

AllDownhillFromHere
01-01-2017, 22:51
Thanks, but I specifically asked about TVP.

Dogwood
01-01-2017, 23:01
Most times TVP is thought of as resembling cooked hamburger. A matter of fact when my carnivorous relatives are fed my "meat" chili they can't tell the TVP isn't cattle hamburger on side by side taste and texture tests that it is vegetarian.

TVP also comes in different sizes though, largely than the fine hamburger texture size stuff, that closely resemble the texture and size of popcorn chicken or chicken nuggets.

Dogwood
01-01-2017, 23:05
https://www.amazon.com/Textured-Vegetable-Protein-Chunks-lb/dp/B00015YTS8

TVP also comes in larger sizes as well as dehydrated strips resembling chicken strips.

rocketsocks
01-02-2017, 01:35
Oh my gosh. What kind of meat can I buy for $11 dollars a pound?

Holy Cow! :D

Engine
01-02-2017, 05:42
Oh my gosh. What kind of meat can I buy for $11 dollars a pound?

Holy Cow! :D

I don't know, but the ad from Winn Dixie had T-bones at $4.29/pound and Ribeye for $7.99/pound...think I'll skin the high priced soy curd. ;)

AllDownhillFromHere
01-02-2017, 09:14
I find that TVP packs better than steak. :)

Thanks for the info guys, I think the trick will be to calculate the extra water it needs in the pot.

Puddlefish
01-02-2017, 09:53
I experimented with TVP in my sailing days. Lightweight, stores well. I found it tasted horrible as an additive. It didn't just seamlessly blend in. I didn't enjoy it in chili, it overpowered even the traditional chili flavorings.

I could turn it into a decent heavily spiced patty that grilled up decently and tasted fine on a bun, slathered with mayo.

I eventually dropped about five pounds of it into the compost pile. Back in the day, it was only available in bulk (at least in my area.) Buy a small amount and experiment, maybe you'll like it.

Venchka
01-02-2017, 10:08
Thanks, but I specifically asked about TVP.
I've known about TVP for decades. I recently discovered the pea protein in the link above. In my opinion it is superior to other protein additives I have tried.
Wayne

rocketsocks
01-02-2017, 14:59
I don't know, but the ad from Winn Dixie had T-bones at $4.29/pound and Ribeye for $7.99/pound...think I'll skin the high priced soy curd. ;)

I find that TVP packs better than steak. :)

Thanks for the info guys, I think the trick will be to calculate the extra water it needs in the pot.dont get me wrong, I think I'd like to try TVP, I just had no idea it cost $11 dollars a pound, yikes!

Obiwan
01-02-2017, 22:33
How much is FD Ground Beef?

Venchka
01-02-2017, 23:11
How much is FD Ground Beef?

About $60/pound.
http://www.campsaver.com/diced-beef-bulk?gclid=CPXaqYmApdECFdy2wAodzqAEaQ
Wayne

Dogwood
01-02-2017, 23:22
WOW, I only posted that link to show the different sizes of TVP in the popcorn and nuggets size which is harder to find and a bit more in cost, maybe as much as $6/lb but I see it at health food stores in the larger dehydrated strip, popcorn, and nugget size for as little as $4/lb. *** TVP in the smaller textured size resembling sautéed chopped hamburger meat can be found widely for about $2.50/lb, sometimes less per pound. TVP is cheap. It's why it's sometimes added to hamburger to extend it and lower the overall cost/lb from higher grades(costlier) hamburger.

PLEASE if you can help the OP great. IF you're only trying to push a pro beef or meat agenda take it somewhere else. Why does this have to happen EVERY time in this forum?

rocketsocks
01-03-2017, 00:16
WOW, I only posted that link to show the different sizes of TVP in the popcorn and nuggets size which is harder to find and a bit more in cost, maybe as much as $6/lb but I see it at health food stores in the larger dehydrated strip, popcorn, and nugget size for as little as $4/lb. *** TVP in the smaller textured size resembling sautéed chopped hamburger meat can be found widely for about $2.50/lb, sometimes less per pound. TVP is cheap. It's why it's sometimes added to hamburger to extend it and lower the overall cost/lb from higher grades(costlier) hamburger.

PLEASE if you can help the OP great. IF you're only trying to push a pro beef or meat agenda take it somewhere else. Why does this have to happen EVERY time in this forum?my bad, thanks, wasn't pushin' the beef per se.

Engine
01-03-2017, 06:44
my bad, thanks, wasn't pushin' the beef per se.

Exactly, how does comparing prices equate to "pushing and agenda"?

illabelle
01-03-2017, 10:25
I'm a lifelong vegetarian, and I've taken TVP on a few trips, mostly with disappointing results. Thing is, I don't cook with it at home, and the trail is not the right place to learn. If all it's doing is soaking up water, then it seems like it truly is kind of tasteless, and not especially enjoyable - something I need to work on. Another issue is that TVP may rehydrate at a different rate than the pasta (or whatever) that it's cooking with.

Farr Away
01-03-2017, 16:18
I've cooked with TVP at home - added to chili; spaghetti, etc. with or without hamburger. Pretty unnoticeable. I've also made TVP sloppy joes that the kids raved about. Bonus is how fast the sloppy joes are to make.

I've taken a version of the sloppy joes backpacking. It worked out well - tasty and quick.

As previously noted, some people do have digestion issues with TVP. It's good to start with a small amount to see.

-FA

TexasBob
01-04-2017, 09:32
I tried TVP in years past and found it somewhere between revolting and mildly disgusting. I saw this product in my local store recently - http://www.bobsredmill.com/shop/entrees/proteins/tvp-textured-veg-protein.html - and this thread made me think about giving it a try. I tried it plain by itself and found it rehydrates quickly in about an equal volume of water and the TVP tastes like breakfast cereal. The texture is firm. I would rate it as acceptable. I am planning to do some experimenting with it in ramen etc. 24gm of this TVP has 12 gm protein and 80 calories.

Traillium
01-04-2017, 11:26
I tried TVP in years past and found it somewhere between revolting and mildly disgusting. I saw this product in my local store recently - http://www.bobsredmill.com/shop/entrees/proteins/tvp-textured-veg-protein.html - and this thread made me think about giving it a try. I tried it plain by itself and found it rehydrates quickly in about an equal volume of water and the TVP tastes like breakfast cereal. The texture is firm. I would rate it as acceptable. I am planning to do some experimenting with it in ramen etc. 24gm of this TVP has 12 gm protein and 80 calories.

I've found the Bob's Mill TVP the most acceptable protein adulterant for inadequate meals — always best strongly spiced, in my opinion. I also found that TVP responds much better to rehydration when pre-soaked. I pre-soak most meals starting when I fill my water supply mid-afternoon (which among other factors allows dry-camping.)

Dogwood
01-04-2017, 11:35
"I tried TVP in years past and found it somewhere between revolting and mildly disgusting."

Why? Just asking.

TVP in itself has almost no flavor by itself. The same can be said for Tofu. Eggs or oatmeal cooked by themselves also have little favor. They take the flavor you add to them salt, pepper, sugar, butter, hot sauce, whatever on eggs. Oatmeal same thing.

The Bobs Red Mill TVP texture is very similar top sautéed ground beef.

So, I'd like to know why you say that.

TexasBob
01-04-2017, 17:04
"I tried TVP in years past and found it somewhere between revolting and mildly disgusting."

Why? Just asking.

TVP in itself has almost no flavor by itself. The same can be said for Tofu. Eggs or oatmeal cooked by themselves also have little favor. They take the flavor you add to them salt, pepper, sugar, butter, hot sauce, whatever on eggs. Oatmeal same thing.

The Bobs Red Mill TVP texture is very similar top sautéed ground beef.

So, I'd like to know why you say that.

No harm in asking. I guess I got a hold of some bad stuff in the past. It was cube shaped, had a squishy rubbery texture and a flavor that was off putting even when in strongly flavored food. The Bob's Red Mill is light years better than the other stuff I tried.

Traillium
01-04-2017, 17:11
No harm in asking. I guess I got a hold of some bad stuff in the past. It was cube shaped, had a squishy rubbery texture and a flavor that was off putting even when in strongly flavored food. The Bob's Red Mill is light years better than the other stuff I tried.

I've had similar feelings with horridly plastic stuff that I bought just last Spring. Bob's is so much less offensive!

AllDownhillFromHere
01-04-2017, 17:48
I've done the "chunks" of TVP before, and the best analogy is dog kibble. The granules are the way to go.

Eliot
01-14-2017, 07:52
Basically, it is what left of the soy bean after "they" have taken out all of the oil. All of the protein, calcium and other nutrition without the fat. The "leftovers" are then "textured" into flakes, crumbles, cubes etc. You soak the TVP in hot water to inflate it, then you cook with it.

Some people object to TVP for two reasons
1. It gives *SOME* people gas
2. Hexane, a carcinogen, is used to separate the oil from the soy beans

As far as #2 goes EXTREMELY LITTLE hexane is uses, several decimal places of a fraction of what the safe does is. There are brands of TVP made with organic soybeans that do not use hexane ( read the label, write to the company ). They can be a little bit more expensive.

As far as keeping protein up and calories low there are many other soy foods like tofu, tempeh, edammame and various faux meats. There is also seitan ( wheat gluten ) which is extremely high in protein, extremely low in calories and can be made to look like meat.

AllDownhillFromHere
01-15-2017, 17:17
Well, I tried it and it "worked" - leave an extra 1/4 cup of water in the pot, and add 1/4 cup TVP. Wait 10 minutes. Eat. It's like you're eating mac and cheese, with the occasional TVP taste. Not a bad way to get an extra 12g of protein.