PDA

View Full Version : PCT Class of 2017

Cobble
01-02-2017, 02:22
Hey everyone!:banana
Just a space for everyone to introduce themselves...

Cobble
01-02-2017, 02:26
So...I'm Cobble. And I like hiking.

Gabigabs
01-02-2017, 21:20
Hello. Gabi here, author and photographer from Seattle. Looking forward to meeting fellow thru-hikers.

lumberjaime
01-02-2017, 23:19
Hey, I'm Righteous.
I also like hiking!
I'm planning a SOBO hike, starting maybe sometime around July 1st. Depends on the snow situation.
See you in the mountains!

Mayday_Belle
01-04-2017, 09:19
Heya! I'm Tim. I don't have my trail name yet - hoping to acquire it on the PCT this year. My wife Betty and I are starting NOBO mid-April.

AllDownhillFromHere
01-04-2017, 14:33
Good for you guys, always wanted to find a hiking partner!

colorado_rob
01-07-2017, 12:35
Rocket Man (me) and Stockings (my wife) here, starting March 17th, we just booked our San Diego flights, making a Costco trail-food run today, can't wait!

xrayextra
01-07-2017, 17:30
I'm Flatfoot. Thru-Hiked the AT in 2013. Looking forward to getting on the trail again!

-Ghost-
01-11-2017, 12:13
-Ghost-, thru-hiked the AT in 2011 and psyched for the PCT. Im actually from Morgantown, WV Cobble so just about an hour south of you. Also looking for an early May start.

Anyone have input on start dates? I am currently planning a May 1st start date. I feel I hike a bit faster than most people generally (did on the AT) and didnt want to get to KM too early. Was looking to average approximately 25MPD. Which thanks to postholers planner will put me at KM on June 1st. The snow this year is insane! But I am afraid to push my start date back even further into May.

Malto
01-11-2017, 14:08
-Ghost-, thru-hiked the AT in 2011 and psyched for the PCT. Im actually from Morgantown, WV Cobble so just about an hour south of you. Also looking for an early May start.

Anyone have input on start dates? I am currently planning a May 1st start date. I feel I hike a bit faster than most people generally (did on the AT) and didnt want to get to KM too early. Was looking to average approximately 25MPD. Which thanks to postholers planner will put me at KM on June 1st. The snow this year is insane! But I am afraid to push my start date back even further into May.

Why? At that pace I wouldn't hesitate pushing back to May 15th with your expected speed. In 2011 I started on May 21 and if I was faced with the same snow year and gpsoing the same pace I would have done a June 1st start and I doubt it would have impacted by finish date by much. Keep in mind that in a big snow year you will rapidly catch up,with earlier starters since you will have less snow all the way along the way.

-Ghost-
01-11-2017, 14:51
Thanks Malto! I guess my only concern was the heat in the desert. But it seems that is variable and can depend on the year moreso than simply the start date. Yes, May 15th or around there is looking more likely for me.

Puddle sleeper
01-20-2017, 02:22
I'm Sam and I'm terrified of this snowpocalypse, was going to start April 15, then May 1, now I'm debating May 15, I'll be able to save up more money anyways

ImAfraidOfBears
01-20-2017, 13:13
Hi, my name is James, I'm looking to launch mid-may as well

bgraybackpacker
01-24-2017, 21:39
Hi

My name is Ben and I also do not have a trail name. Thinking of starting the usual time late April early May as I have some route finding and snow skills. Anyone else?

Ben

mattjv89
01-24-2017, 22:13
So how did every one do with permits today? April filled up solid inside of two hours!

CarlZ993
01-24-2017, 22:51
Zman here. 2013 AT thru-hiker. Managed to get a slot for the end of April. What a hassle getting a permit!!! Nothing like a crashing website to increase your anxiety!

bgraybackpacker
01-25-2017, 10:28
Looks like May 15th is my starting date. Going to be a struggle to reach Oregon by the eclipse, oh well.

Venchka
01-25-2017, 13:50
So how did every one do with permits today? April filled up solid inside of two hours!

I did fine. I didn't try. I wasn't disappointed.
Backpack without permits.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gwschenk
01-25-2017, 17:31
Backpack without permits.

PLEASE, stay in Texas.

-Ghost-
01-26-2017, 12:07
May 21st start date for me assuming its approved. Anyone else around there?

Wooobie
02-04-2017, 01:18
2015 CT/2016 AT. The dog and I will be starting the trail sometime in May. Anyone want to plan my hike?

iio
02-08-2017, 01:32
Hey ho! It's off to snow I go!
April 7th start day for me :)

Scarf
02-09-2017, 02:44
Had to choose between March 28 and May 11, everything in-between already booked. I'm planning on starting slow, taking multiple leisurely zeros with family/friends/wife in SoCal, so I took 3/28. Just finished a week long recon road trip to visit southern terminus (weird to see in person after viewing so many photos and videos), Lake Morena county park (looks like a nice spot for night #1), Mt. Laguna (tiny town, pop 52, so much snow, couldn't follow trail), Scissors Crossing (definitely taking reflective sun umbrella) and Warner Springs (golf course cafe had great food).

7 weeks from yesterday, I'll be taking my first PCT steps. As I type this, I've just finished tending two blisters on my left foot after 13.2 training miles today through the desert here in So. Nevada with my full pack. For anyone who wonders about it, yes, Superfeet insoles have a break in period.

Looking forward to seeing everyone on the trail.

Kyle

AllDownhillFromHere
02-09-2017, 10:06
Scarf, is this your first time with Superfeet? I ask because I've used them for years w/o problems, or at least, problems caused by them. If its your first time, maybe check what else could be causing the blisters.

Scarf
02-09-2017, 12:37
Scarf, is this your first time with Superfeet? I ask because I've used them for years w/o problems, or at least, problems caused by them. If its your first time, maybe check what else could be causing the blisters.

Have been using exact shoe (merrell moab ventilators), sock (darn tough) and insole (superfeet green) combo, and everything was hunky dory until i replaced the shoe and insole. The new insole felt sort of rough and stiff and ended up with a small but painful subcutaneous blister on heel and friction blister on ball of foot, possibly due to slight change in gait to protect heel. Debating whether to tape and go today, or give them a day off. Start day cometh, and that right soon.

lumberjaime
02-09-2017, 22:12
Have been using exact shoe (merrell moab ventilators), sock (darn tough) and insole (superfeet green) combo, and everything was hunky dory until i replaced the shoe and insole. The new insole felt sort of rough and stiff and ended up with a small but painful subcutaneous blister on heel and friction blister on ball of foot, possibly due to slight change in gait to protect heel. Debating whether to tape and go today, or give them a day off. Start day cometh, and that right soon.

Have you worn Merrel Moab Ventilators for a long time (gone through multiple pairs)? I ask because...

I hiked in that combo on the AT (Orange instead of Green SF, though) and never had a single blister. Loved them. I used 4 pairs on the trail, then bought another pair when the last finally gave out. Then, mysteriously, in the last 18 months, the same combo has been causing me blisters (mostly heel and between toes). I switched to a different shoe after hours at the outfitter, and: NO MORE BLISTERS! Kept the same socks and insoles, now wearing Scarpa Neutron.

Maybe a change of shoe will help? Seems like my feet and/or gait have changed, maybe yours has too.

AllDownhillFromHere
02-09-2017, 22:47
I used to wear Merrel shoes, I think the chameleon but not the ventilator - the goretex one. Anyways, I'm amazed how crappy they are these days, no support, weak soles, etc. The oldschool ones were the bomb, I think they're getting cheaper materials.

Scarf
02-10-2017, 00:42
I used to wear Merrel shoes, I think the chameleon but not the ventilator - the goretex one. Anyways, I'm amazed how crappy they are these days, no support, weak soles, etc. The oldschool ones were the bomb, I think they're getting cheaper materials.

When did you notice the decline in quality? Have to say, I thought it was me, they just weren't the same shoe as they used to be, but chalked it up to being older and more picky.

AlpineKevin
02-10-2017, 00:56
Not the first time I've heard about the Merrel's. Despite they being incredibly comfortable at REI last spring I did not buy them even though they felt so good because of all the things I've read. I think the REI reviews may say something to the such as well.

Scarf
02-10-2017, 01:02
Have you worn Merrel Moab Ventilators for a long time (gone through multiple pairs)? I ask because...

I hiked in that combo on the AT (Orange instead of Green SF, though) and never had a single blister. Loved them. I used 4 pairs on the trail, then bought another pair when the last finally gave out. Then, mysteriously, in the last 18 months, the same combo has been causing me blisters (mostly heel and between toes). I switched to a different shoe after hours at the outfitter, and: NO MORE BLISTERS! Kept the same socks and insoles, now wearing Scarpa Neutron.

Maybe a change of shoe will help? Seems like my feet and/or gait have changed, maybe yours has too.

Hmmmm, I'm starting to sense a trend.....

When I'm in canyons, I wear the Merrell Phaser Peak boots, sturdy and lots of support. For normal desert hiking, the Moab Ventilators have always felt good and comfortable, and I've been through 3 pairs, averaging about 450 miles per. For PCT prep, I wanted to get a new pair and new superfeet, put 100 miles on them, then set them aside for on-trail replacement. Its this pair that is causing issues, but only on my left foot. Now that I'm thinking about it, its almost like the left is a bit "off" in construction. Have not had a blister since I can remember, then whammo, same terrain, same everything, just new pair of same shoes and new superfeet, and my left foot has a couple pop up. A bit disconcerting when I thought everything was dialed in.

I've got 6.5 weeks, but man, gotta tell you I'm a bit nervous going through a new shoe selection process this close to start date.

Scarf
02-10-2017, 01:04
Not the first time I've heard about the Merrel's. Despite they being incredibly comfortable at REI last spring I did not buy them even though they felt so good because of all the things I've read. I think the REI reviews may say something to the such as well.

You in Vegas? I'm in Boulder City. Thanks for the info.... I tend to get loyal to things that work, and its looking like the Merrell brand has changed for the worse without my noticing.

AlpineKevin
02-10-2017, 01:17
I've got 6.5 weeks, but man, gotta tell you I'm a bit nervous going through a new shoe selection process this close to start date.

Especially if the snow keeps up. Not sure I want to be going into snow covered Sierras in running shoes, or any low top shoes. I'll wear lightweight running shoes up to KM (or maybe more of a cross country shoe for support since I'm 250) but for the Sierras I got a pair of Salomon X Ultra Mid 2 GTX. It's as light as a shoe but a high top. It's a cross between a shoe and a boot. It's kind of like a basketball shoe almost since it is high top for hiking but lightweight.

Scarf
02-10-2017, 02:14
Especially if the snow keeps up. Not sure I want to be going into snow covered Sierras in running shoes, or any low top shoes. I'll wear lightweight running shoes up to KM (or maybe more of a cross country shoe for support since I'm 250) but for the Sierras I got a pair of Salomon X Ultra Mid 2 GTX. It's as light as a shoe but a high top. It's a cross between a shoe and a boot. It's kind of like a basketball shoe almost since it is high top for hiking but lightweight.

Thx for the tip. I'll check out the Salomon's. I'm in the 250's, foot support is always appreciated.

AllDownhillFromHere
02-10-2017, 10:10
It was some years ago, when a pair finally blew out. Recently I was looking at REI for some new ones, I held up some Salomon XA Pros and a pair of the Merrels and told the sales guy "sell me 1 of these" and he immediately said "Forget the Merrels, buy the Solomons". I noticed the sole on the Merrels was super flexible and soft, while the Salomons had a pretty beefy sole (although not as good as the original Merrels). The old ones had almost a boot-stiff sole, the new ones are like sneakers. I have about 10 miles on the Salomons, with a pack on, and so far no complaints.

When did you notice the decline in quality? Have to say, I thought it was me, they just weren't the same shoe as they used to be, but chalked it up to being older and more picky.

AlpineKevin
02-10-2017, 19:01
Thx for the tip. I'll check out the Salomon's. I'm in the 250's, foot support is always appreciated.

If you are in your 250's you might want to consider shipping a smaller hip belt for your pack to KM. By time you get to KM your current hip belt may be sliding down your legs since at 250 I'm sure you will lose A LOT of weight. I have a ULA backpack and fortunately you can buy hip belts separately for $40.

AllDownhillFromHere
02-10-2017, 23:06
May 14, if I stick to that date, and if I bother. La Nina and snowfall might make this year a bust.

May 21st start date for me assuming its approved. Anyone else around there?

xrayextra
02-15-2017, 00:20
I like hiking but my feet don't. My feet are flat. My trailname is Flatfoot. Starting on the 13th of April. Cheers!

Scarf
02-15-2017, 02:43
If you are in your 250's you might want to consider shipping a smaller hip belt for your pack to KM. By time you get to KM your current hip belt may be sliding down your legs since at 250 I'm sure you will lose A LOT of weight. I have a ULA backpack and fortunately you can buy hip belts separately for $40.

If you're 250's and 5' 9" tall, yeah, that might be a concern. But when you're 6' 6", not so much.

AlpineKevin
02-15-2017, 18:06
If you're 250's and 5' 9" tall, yeah, that might be a concern. But when you're 6' 6", not so much.

Trail name: Hulk

ImAfraidOfBears
02-15-2017, 20:52
Trail name: Hulk
The Incredible Bulk

Kookork
02-15-2017, 21:32
I received my permit today. May 6th.

AllDownhillFromHere
02-15-2017, 21:39
What's the difference with starting a week earlier than your permit dictates, and starting a week earlier at Warner Springs, hiking south, then flipping back to Warner and heading north?

ImAfraidOfBears
02-16-2017, 02:12
What's the difference with starting a week earlier than your permit dictates, and starting a week earlier at Warner Springs, hiking south, then flipping back to Warner and heading north?
I may get some shade for this subversion of the permit system, but I think you could get a permit for earlier, then just start later. If queried, who is to say you didn't get injured walking down the first hill and ended up staying in a hotel for a few weeks.....

AlpineKevin
02-16-2017, 02:50
^^^ They have PCT Crest Runners who are Forest Service employees with access to law enforcement on the trail the first day.

You don't actually need a permit until like mile 6 or something but you are going to have a hard time explaining to the permit checker on May 1 at mile 10 that although your permit is for starting April 20 you are only making a 1 mile per day pace.

AllDownhillFromHere
02-16-2017, 06:50
What do they do, arrest you for walking?

Pressure D
02-16-2017, 09:37
I'm starting on April 29th!

AlpineKevin
02-16-2017, 22:04
What do they do, arrest you for walking?

No. They give you a ticket for which you must appear before a federal judge for federal land or a state judge for state land. The federal judge can give you up to a $5,000 fine or 6 months in jail but apparently the usual for no permit is a $150 fine. Unless of course you are a dick to the Ranger and/or judge and/or don't appear. Then it can be much more.

So there is a real possibility that you would get cited with a federal court date maybe 45 to 60 days away. You want to cut your hike short to fly back to go to court?

AlpineKevin
02-16-2017, 22:11
.... Oh also, after seeing you have no permit they can order you immediately off the trail. If you refuse you can be arrested. If you resists you can (will) be charged with assaulting a federal officer.

This is all if you don't have a permit though. If you do and it's just for the wrong date then I suppose after the first 2 or 3 days you would be in the clear as no one can dispute your hiking speed. However, the Pacific Crest Runners are stationed on the first 100 miles. They are federal employees. I forget their names but there names and pictures are on the internet somewhere. There are two of them.

AllDownhillFromHere
02-16-2017, 22:24
No. They give you a ticket

Like I said - what's the difference if you start at Warner 1 week early, hike south and then flip? Or two weeks early at Idylwild? None. Impact on the trail, during the same time period, is exactly the same. They can't permit the entire trail.

The PCTA fails. Permits do not solve their impact problem. Better built trails, established campsites, and privvies do. If they're going to manage a busy trail, they have to manage a busy trail.

imscotty
02-17-2017, 08:48
Apparently some people have not learned anything from the AT/ATC/BSP fiasco? Entitled hikers who think the rules should not apply to them end up ruining it for everyone else. Don't be selfish, your actions have consequences.

ImAfraidOfBears
02-17-2017, 10:10
Apparently some people have not learned anything from the AT/ATC/BSP fiasco? Entitled hikers who think the rules should not apply to them end up ruining it for everyone else. Don't be selfish, your actions have consequences.
I don't fault Scott Jurek for that one bit, the whole thing was contrived, he celebrated breaking a record with a little champagne, boo hoo.

Explain how this ruins it for everyone else.

ridehard
02-17-2017, 12:29
Hi all, Jim here, no trail name for PCT. Had to abort last year. 2017 NOBO start April 30.

AllDownhillFromHere
02-17-2017, 13:07
Wow, knee-jerk much? it's not a question of being selfish. Its pointing out that the permit system doesn't solve the problem they say it does.

Also, re: BSP - http://appalachiantrail.org/home/explore-the-trail/thru-hiking/bsp-permit-limit-faqs
What will happen to me if I arrive at Baxter State Park after all of the thru-hiker permits have already been claimed?Katahdin will not be closed to A.T. hikers if the A.T. hiker permit limit is reached...

Will I need to speed up the pace of my thru-hike in order to make sure I get a permit?
No. Katahdin will not be closed if the A.T. Hiker Permit limit is reached...

imscotty
02-17-2017, 16:05
AllDownHllHere, I have no problem with a discussion of the limits and faults of the PCT permit system. I agree it is an imperfect attempt to mitigate the problems associated with the PCT's increasing popularity. What I criticize is any suggestion that people subvert the permitting system by showing up on any given day or anywhere they choose. Please understand, I am not saying that you did this, but I wanted to raise this subject since some of the posts above might suggest to a reader that this would be OK to do.

I argue that when hikers flout these rules, they do harm to the hiker community. We have already seen on the AT how the misbehavior and entitled mentality of a small segment of the population has alienated segments of the AT community, and led to stricter regulation in BSP in particular. The actions of a single person did not do this, but collectively rule breakers have created a problem.

Whiteblaze is an education resource utilized by many first time hikers. I think that our postings should promote following the permitting rules. The PCTA's permitting system is not complicated or difficult to follow. In fact, it is a great benefit to hikers to be able to obtain a single permit for the entire trail. Try navigating obtaining permits for each of the Wilderness areas that require them for every other hiker but PCT thru-hikers and you will see what I mean. This is a privilege, and a great benefit that I would not want to see lost because of the actions of a few individuals abusing the system.

I hope we can agree ands work together to encourage hiker to make their best effort to follow the rules and their requested start dates of the PCTA permitting system. Injuries and acts of God cannot be helped, most every Ranger I have ever met would be understanding in that regard. But they are not stupid, no one likes being taken advantage of, we need to keep the rangers and other permitting authorities on our side. If you see ways to make the permitting system more effective, I am sure the PCTA would love to receive your help and constructive suggestions.

AlpineKevin
02-17-2017, 16:44
It should be pointed out that for all this talk of 3,000 PCT hikers possibly destroying thousands of miles of trails by not hiking on their exact date, MILLIONS actually use those same trails each year. I mean how many people hike in Yosemite each year? Sequoia? Kings? Crater? Tahoe?

AlpineKevin
02-17-2017, 16:45
... but it should also be pointed out that I think most of the known trail angels won't take you to the trail head unless they see you have a permit for that day. Or am I wrong? Does Frodo check?

Kookork
02-17-2017, 16:56
The least I can do as a thru hiker is following all the rules, legal and/or moral to the full extent. There is no exception for anybody . There are too many" anybodies " using the trail every day already. LNT is a Must not an option.

gwschenk
02-18-2017, 12:52
It should be pointed out that for all this talk of 3,000 PCT hikers possibly destroying thousands of miles of trails by not hiking on their exact date, MILLIONS actually use those same trails each year. I mean how many people hike in Yosemite each year? Sequoia? Kings? Crater? Tahoe?

The trailhead quotas in SEKI, Yosemite and the Inyo are quite restrictive. Of the trails that cross the east side over to the PCT Kearsarge Pass at 60 allows the most daily entries. Other popular trailheads are in the 10 per day range. It's certainly not millions.

The PCTA permit overrides all these quotas and is quite a benefit to thruhikers.

Kookork
02-18-2017, 14:33
Judging from some 2016 videos of the first 200 miles or so, I am sure PCTA and the trail itself is quite happy that not all the hikers who begin as a thru don't finish it.

You know how many videos I have seen that hikers poke a rattler just to make it rattles and they take a proud video and publish it on youtube? What happened to trail animal rights? They are not there to amuse us.

AllDownhillFromHere
02-18-2017, 14:42
AllDownHllHere, I have no problem with a discussion of the limits and faults of the PCT permit system. I agree it is an imperfect attempt to mitigate the problems associated with the PCT's increasing popularity. What I criticize is any suggestion that people subvert the permitting system by showing up on any given day or anywhere they choose. ...

I'm sorry if you thought I meant that. My point was that an arbitrary # of people starting in Campo is not a solution to overuse.

A permit to cross the patchwork of parks is definitely a super convenience, and a privilege. But in reality, it's only that - a paperwork convenience. It doesnt prevent boneheads from trashing facilities, poking rattlesnakes, or leaving trash around - and to say that it does ignores the realities that some areas need better trail maintenance and facilities.

Kookork
02-18-2017, 14:58
I'm sorry if you thought I meant that. My point was that an arbitrary # of people starting in Campo is not a solution to overuse.

A permit to cross the patchwork of parks is definitely a super convenience, and a privilege. But in reality, it's only that - a paperwork convenience. It doesnt prevent boneheads from trashing facilities, poking rattlesnakes, or leaving trash around - and to say that it does ignores the realities that some areas need better trail maintenance and facilities.

Proper hiker education is the final solution in most cases but until someone comes up with a decent alternative to what we have already, we have to follow the rules. 100 educated(LNT) hiker is better for the trail than 20 uneducated one in long run.

CarlZ993
02-18-2017, 16:24
... but it should also be pointed out that I think most of the known trail angels won't take you to the trail head unless they see you have a permit for that day. Or am I wrong? Does Frodo check?

I don't know if they do. They request the info on their form. Wouldn't be surprised if they did.

http://sandiegopct.com/departing-to-pct-trailhead/

When in doubt, follow the rules. Works for me.

ImAfraidOfBears
02-18-2017, 17:16
i dont even want to prepare maildrops at this point with all the uncertainty

MuddyWaters
02-18-2017, 17:45

what makes you think its arbitrary.

The national parks care DEEPLY about protecting user wilderness experience. Its part of their mission.
Limiting numbers and access is how they accomplish this.

Something the ATC has shown they care NOTHING about.

If your the kind of person that wants to hike with dozens of people and party your way up the trail, youre the exact kind of person many dont want on our trails. If people wanted crowds and partying, theyd stay home in cities.

AlpineKevin
02-18-2017, 20:29
The trailhead quotas in SEKI, Yosemite and the Inyo are quite restrictive. Of the trails that cross the east side over to the PCT Kearsarge Pass at 60 allows the most daily entries. Other popular trailheads are in the 10 per day range. It's certainly not millions.

Bull. First, you are talking overnight camping. But the vast majority of people on those trails are day hikers who do not need permits yet have the exact same impact as an overnighter (except for setting up a tent). They park their cars at Yosemite Valley and hike the trails. Or they take the bus from Mammoth down to Red Meadows and spend all day on the PCT or JMT. Or they drive up to Horseshow Meadows and hike all around there for 8 hours. Or they make the hour drive from LA to spend all day running around naked with 30 beer cans at Deep Creek. If anything the day hikers are worse because they are mere tourists who do not have the same outdoor education as the over-nighters so they leave garbage and crap where outdoorsmen never would. Second, lots of campers just don't get permits. Bottom line is that the PCT hikers are an infinitesimally small amount of the overall users of these trails.

The PCTA permit overrides all these quotas and is quite a benefit to thruhikers.

Of course we can all agree on this.... then again it goes back to the original argument that not having all those permits probably wouldn't mean anything anyways.

AlpineKevin
02-18-2017, 20:39
i dont even want to prepare maildrops at this point with all the uncertainty

Last night I watched 2 hours of an Irish guy's 2016 hike. My jaw dropped when he past Kennedy Meadows considering that 2016 was a drought year. All the lakes were frozen, there was snow every where, and he had to do some fairly dangerous bouldering to detour around steep iced over sections. And 2017 should be like 10 times that. So I feel your concern..... But then again, for the other %90 of the video there was snow no where near by (or at least not on the trail). So the snowy Sierras are only a portion of the trail, but only getting 1mph for any portion of the trail can be a demoralizing killer.

gwschenk
02-19-2017, 00:06
Bull.

No bull. Yes, people overrun Yosemite Valley, but 99% of them never leave the valley. You get a mile from a trailhead and you have things pretty much to yourself. That goes for Horseshoe and Onion Valley as well. If you venture off the PCT you'll find the Sierra can be a very lonely place. The PCT is a very tiny piece of the Sierra.

The comments you make about dayhikers are the same comments people make about thruhikers. They leave a trail of illegal campfires, used TP, cigarette butts and all the trash associated with water caches and trail magic in their wake. The thruhiker explosion of the last few years has seriously exacerbated these problems. People come west and bring the AT community party with them. Wrightwood was a zoo last May. So it goes.

Cheers.

AlpineKevin
02-19-2017, 00:45
No bull. Yes, people overrun Yosemite Valley, but 99% of them never leave the valley. You get a mile from a trailhead and you have things pretty much to yourself.

Have you lived at Yosemite? Because I have, for over 2 years, on the "deserted" east side. Let me tell you some thing, there is no such thing as a lonely place in a national park in the summer. Maybe Denali or something but NOT Yosemite. I don't care if you are in the Valley or Toulumne Meadows, there are people every where.

Feral Bill
02-19-2017, 01:13
I'm considering a SOBO LASH through most of Oregon. Gotta catch that eclipse. Hope to meet some of you as you pass through on your way north.

gwschenk
02-19-2017, 12:38
Have you lived at Yosemite? Because I have, for over 2 years, on the "deserted" east side. Let me tell you some thing, there is no such thing as a lonely place in a national park in the summer. Maybe Denali or something but NOT Yosemite. I don't care if you are in the Valley or Toulumne Meadows, there are people every where.

I have found many lonely places in Yosemite. I get your point, though, the valley and TM are overrun.

imscotty
02-19-2017, 14:56
I don't care if you are in the Valley or Toulumne Meadows, there are people every where.

I think the point is once you get out of the valley or Tuolumne Meadows, solitude can be found. I thought the JMT permit system kept the hikers on that trail at reasonable levels. When I hiked just a little bit off-trail, I usually had the wilderness all to myself. Solitude can be found in Yosemite if you are willing to really get into the backcountry.

Danial "Q-tip"
03-04-2017, 16:25
Hey, I'm Fawkes, formerly know as Qtip on the AT 12,15. Here at the PCT trail head for a thru hike but won't be starting for a few days. If any hikers wanna meet up I have a car and time. You can shoot me a text (919)333-8232.

changed
03-04-2017, 18:30
Start date is May 22nd. Plan on deliberately making my way to KM to see what the actual snow situation is in the Sierra. If it looks do-able, it'll be motor time to Manning. Otherwise, I'll call it a section hike and take my butt home.

Excited to put this 8 pound baseweight to the test.

achilles
03-07-2017, 00:00
Hey everybody, I'm Achilles. My girlfriend (who does not have a trail name yet) and I will start at Campo on April 6. We plan to hike to KM at a comfortable pace, arriving mid to late May. Then, we're gonna enjoy the adventure that this high snow brings.

Wooobie
03-10-2017, 21:40
This is the wrong place for this.

lonehiker
03-24-2017, 09:55
Will be continuing my section hike (year 4) on the 9th of Aug. from Ashland to at least Cascade Locks.

prim8
03-27-2017, 20:38
My trail name will be "prim8".
Looking to NOBO from Campo to Cabazon, start around mid-April to early-May, depending on the "news" regarding snow levels on the trail. Don't want to posthole on San Jacinto flank. Anyone have recent news on this?
Also, looking for hassle free spot to park my car near Cabazon. BLM has a lot at upper end of Cottonwood Road with a 14-day limit and I don't want to arrive "late" and find a parking ticket or my vehicle missing (towed or stolen). Any feedback regarding this issue?

Wildmtnchild
05-03-2017, 13:03
Hi! I'm Naomi. I'll be starting in a couple weeks from the Mexican border. I'm hoping it's not too late of a start. Particularly as I plan on starting slow and working my way up to 25 mile days. Although I guess it will help with snow. I'll see ya'll on the trail.

Naomi

AllDownhillFromHere
05-03-2017, 14:58
That's the spirit. I'm in the same boat. Stuck starting late, but with the snow it might work out, who knows? After about the first week I figure most of my plans will be out the window.

Hi! I'm Naomi. I'll be starting in a couple weeks from the Mexican border. I'm hoping it's not too late of a start. Particularly as I plan on starting slow and working my way up to 25 mile days. Although I guess it will help with snow. I'll see ya'll on the trail.

Naomi

Venchka
05-03-2017, 15:03
Good luck Y'all. Everybody will or will not be stuck at KM.
The NOBO HOBOS hit 300 miles in 19 days.
https://nobohobos.wordpress.com/2017/05/02/day-19-uneventfully-eventful/
Wayne