PDA

View Full Version : Using Tumblr for trail journal

Drapac
01-03-2017, 01:04
Had anyone here used Tumblr for a trail journal?

It allows you to easily post pics, text, gifs, videos and other content from the app on your phone.

There is also a queue function and a save to draft option to handle the days when you can't get signal.

Seemed pretty user friendly when I did a little initial testing, but was wondering if anyone has actually used it out on the trail before.

Thanks!

lunatic
01-03-2017, 17:25
I used Tumblr briefly as a trail journal during several shake down hikes many years ago, but not on my thru-hikes because it didn't meet my needs. The main problem for me is for people to comment or share the posts they must be members and logged into the platform - and it's not as widely used as other platforms. The other issue is that there's so much p*rn on Tumblr that inevitably someone would link to my post or like my post and include a link to something inappropriate. And frankly, that was too much for my parents and some other friends and relatives to figure out :) so on my first thru-hike I used Blogger which has/had it's own issues. Since then, i gave up on real online journaling and decided only to use Instagram (i'm a photog) and Facebook (ugh), which i only use to let my family know what i'm doing because I hate it so much. I still keep a written journal for myself..which i find quite therapeutic. Hope this is somewhat helpful. Good luck.

Drapac
01-04-2017, 07:52
Thanks for the reply. I didn't really think about the comment/ share aspect. Definitely something to take into consideration.

bigcranky
01-04-2017, 08:28
I use Tumblr at work for a photo blog, and I like the look and the interface, but I have to agree with lunatic about the commenting and social media aspects of it being limited. I'd probably do better on Instagram.

For keeping a written journal on a device, I like the Day One app. For writing a hiking blog, I like Wordpress, which also has a usable app.

Drapac
01-04-2017, 10:02
Thanks for the reply. The easy interface was what initially drew me to tumblr. I checked out your long tail blog and like what I saw in terms of layout.

Is the app pretty straightforward? Also, do you need to be signed in to post comments?

bigcranky
01-04-2017, 14:49
I did the LT blog after we got back, so I'm no help on using the app on the trail. I also don't know how easy it is to add photos from the app.

You have to be logged into something to comment -- one of several social media apps will work, if one doesn't have a Wordpress account. Facebook, for example.

Traillium
01-04-2017, 17:08
Wordpress worked for me along the Bruce Trail here in Ontario. I spent up to an hour or more laying in my hammock before drifting off to sleep writing and adding photos (using an iPhone).

Http://brucetraillium.wordpress.com

(I _think_ you can add comments without being logged in to an account. I'm pretty sure many did. Give it a try!)

I really enjoyed and benefitted from the reflection and journaling. I'd wonder as I hiked what might be my nightly topic. I'd often get a flash: 'Ah, that's what I'll write about …' That would give me the rest of the day to think of words and photos to use. It was also heart-warming to realize that friends and acquaintances were vicariously hiking with me.