PDA

View Full Version : The Bamboo Spoon

fastfoxengineering
01-03-2017, 07:19
So I have a bamboo spoon that I bought from gossamer gear a while back. It is a nice spoon, however it's really expensive for what it is.

I wanted to pick up a couple of them to give out as presents to my friends who like to do some hiking.

Does anyone have a good source for a similar spoon at a decent price. On Amazon, I found four packs and such for about $15 which I'd be willing to pay. However, the descriptions are unclear and some people have complaints about certain coatings some spoons have on them.

I was thinking about stepping into a cooking store but I don't live near any aside from your typical Walmart or similar.

So any leads on some good bamboo spoons. Looking for a nice soup spoon, in the 7+ inches in length, and of course, lightweight.

I gambled once and bought some from China off of eBay for like $5. They smelled like chemicals, tasted really funny, and were way to small. Everything they were not advertised to be lol.. just trying to avoid that again.

Wow, I'm on the forum asking about bamboo spoons. My girlfriend is lucky.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

bigcranky
01-03-2017, 07:52
How much was it? I paid a premium for our titanium long handled spoons from Backpackinglight many years ago, then within a few years they were available from places like REI for half what we paid. :)

I never saw the bamboo spoons, but I have used the Ti spoon every trip for years and love it.

KDogg
01-03-2017, 08:36
I used a bamboo utensil set (spoon, fork, knife) that somebody gave me from patagonia. It worked well although I lost the fork.

G-FOURce
01-03-2017, 08:53
How much was it? I paid a premium for our titanium long handled spoons from Backpackinglight many years ago, then within a few years they were available from places like REI for half what we paid. :)

I never saw the bamboo spoons, but I have used the Ti spoon every trip for years and love it.

I also have the S2S Ti long-handed spoon and love it. Unless you want the bamboo for aesthetics or you want something more eco-friendly, then perhaps consider the Ti spoon as it is $1 less than the GG bamboo, it's lighter, and it comes with a Ti carabiner (I use mine to secure my storage bag to my bear line).

HooKooDooKu
01-03-2017, 11:05
Have you considered trying to make a bamboo spoon?

Off hand, I don't know how to make a bamboo spoon, but I've made bamboo hiking poles for myself, family, and even a friend. The stuff is basically just a form of wood, so you should be able to cut and sand the material. About the only limitation you might have is that you likely don't have a steam press to bend the wood into a particular shape... something that obviously the professional bamboo back scratcher makers use. But if you can find a large enough piece of bamboo, I would think you could cut and sand it down as needed to make a basic wooden spoon.

saltysack
01-03-2017, 11:16
Just give them a McDonalds gift card for a McFlurry.....there is your spoon...[emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheyou
01-03-2017, 11:22
I buy my bamboo spoons 10 for $1 . Gift one when I hike with a first timer. Try Japan store online.

Thom

G-FOURce
01-03-2017, 11:50
https://www.amazon.com/JapanBargain-Solid-Bamboo-Dinner-Spoons/dp/B00NUY10LQ/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1483458090&sr=8-13&keywords=bamboo+spoon

10 pack of 8" bamboo spoons for $6.25 shipped via Amazon Prime (excl. tax). The item and shipping weights are both listed at 4oz, so something is off there (Amazon is just about the worst on accurate weights). However, assuming that weight listed is for the contents only then you're looking at 0.4oz per spoon.

NOTE: the reviews all look like they belong to different items - not just one other item but several different items. Its Amazon Prime, so you can have whatever arrives shipped back for free if you aren't pleased or if you get a knife or a bowl or some other random item other than the spoons. Just wanted to point it out.

rocketsocks
01-03-2017, 14:25
There was a thread here maybe a year ago where the fella/gal was selling homemade spoons, they looked nice. I don't recall their price. Maybe try a whiteblaze google search.

HooKooDooKu
01-03-2017, 16:24
There was a thread here maybe a year ago where the fella/gal was selling homemade spoons, they looked nice. I don't recall their price. Maybe try a whiteblaze google search.
I think I recall the post to which you are referring to... seems like the poster was selling them on etsy and asking for feedback. I don't recall the exact details, but I think I gave the poster feedback that the spoons were impractical for camping... I think they were simply too big (more like the size of wooden spoons you would buy for cooking in your kitchen).

Is this the post you are referring too (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/114505-Backpacking-cook-spoons)?

fastfoxengineering
01-03-2017, 21:32
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01KYHXVGS/ref=mp_s_a_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1483493485&sr=8-15&pi=SL75_QL70&keywords=bamboo+spoons

These look like the best on Amazon. Curious to know how much they weigh.

MuddyWaters
01-03-2017, 22:00
my spoon
made it myself, started with stock poorly shaped bamboo spoon.
0.25 oz
7.1 g for those on the metric system

You dont want a round bowl with sharp edges like 90% of spoons you see
you dont need a deep big bowl, you arent going to drink out of spoon
its a shovel for putting food in your mouth. thick food usually
If its watery just drink it from the pot or bag.

most important is it feel good in mouth. If it dont, its useless.

Soggybottom
01-03-2017, 22:58
I found a cup and spoon through massdrop. I have two. Kupilka 21 (2-pack). Not bamboo but from recycled natural fiber composite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alligator
01-03-2017, 23:09
Are you only interested in bamboo? I got one about a year ago I like made out of cherry. I got it at a festival, I've seen more like it made by folks who make handmade wooden kitchen utensils, craftsman work. Other woods too, kind of looks like Muddywaters spoon. I think it was $7, not sure exactly though.

ScareBear
01-03-2017, 23:14
And then, I saw this on sale....now ordered...

http://www.backcountry.com/optimus-titanium-folding-long-spoon?skid=OPS000K-ONECOL-ONESIZ&ti=UExQIE9uIFNhbGU6Q2FtcCBLaXRjaGVuOjI6MTE6YmNzQ2F 0NzEwMDAwMTQw

fastfoxengineering
01-03-2017, 23:25
Not a fan of the folders. They are harder to clean. Food gets stuck in the hinge. Muddy Waters. That spoon is slick

MuddyWaters
01-03-2017, 23:34
seal with hot beeswax, thinned with mineral oil if you like so it soaks in.

rocketsocks
01-04-2017, 02:44
I think I recall the post to which you are referring to... seems like the poster was selling them on etsy and asking for feedback. I don't recall the exact details, but I think I gave the poster feedback that the spoons were impractical for camping... I think they were simply too big (more like the size of wooden spoons you would buy for cooking in your kitchen).

Is this the post you are referring too (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/114505-Backpacking-cook-spoons)?I can't honestly say that was it...I'd only be guessing'

rocketsocks
01-04-2017, 02:46

Is this the post you are referring too (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/114505-Backpacking-cook-spoons)?

I can't honestly say that was it...I'd only be guessing'i seem to remember much more discussion on the subject and a bunch a "attaboys" and "looks nice"

rocketsocks
01-04-2017, 03:00
i seem to remember much more discussion on the subject and a bunch a "attaboys" and "looks nice"
After looking at "bikebum1975" other post on the same subject, I think your right after all hookadooka.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/113920-Black-birch?p=2001639&highlight=#post2001639

llittle_llama
01-11-2017, 04:01
I used a bamboo utensil set (spoon, fork, knife) that somebody gave me from patagonia. It worked well although I lost the fork.
And this is why nobody gives you nice things anymore ;)

hyperslug
01-11-2017, 06:01
I ordered these: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00579OKVO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I see there are better prices out there. Mine weighs .4 oz, the same as my Lexan spoon but the bamboo one has the longer handle. I think the bowl on the bamboo spoon may be a bit smaller than the Lexan but not too much.

zelph
01-11-2017, 19:11
A few years ago I purchased a 3 Piece Plastic White Stirring/Tasting Kitchen Spoon Set from Walmart. They were made of a lightweight plastic, I was able to bend the spoon of choice by heating it in boiling water. The spoons come in 3 lengths and are straight. The serving portion and length of the center one was of my choice.37857

cmoulder
01-11-2017, 19:45
I like my MSR folding spoon. The bowl is a bit small, but it fits inside even the smallest pots when folded, and it weighs about 9 grams.

zelph
01-11-2017, 20:19
CMoulder" Is the spoon man size portion or other?

cmoulder
01-12-2017, 09:56
CMoulder" Is the spoon man size portion or other?

It's more ballerina sized, but it makes me slow down a bit, which 'they' say is good for digestion. :)

Although sometimes when I'm really hungry and it's cold I want to just shovel it down my gullet and be done with it. :o

Odd Man Out
01-12-2017, 10:18
I've been intrigued by wooden option for a while. Wood does have a high strength to weight ratio so may have a role in lightweight equipment. I bought a wooden spoon once, but the dimensions were not quite right. In Scandinavia there is a tradition of carving a wooden drinking cup you use to scoop water from streams while trekking (no filtration necessary). If done well it lasts a lifetime.

AllDownhillFromHere
01-12-2017, 11:31
Wood breaks, gets funky, metal can be bent back.

Ask a waitress at a diner, they'll probably give you a spoon.

zelph
01-12-2017, 13:32
It's more ballerina sized, but it makes me slow down a bit, which 'they' say is good for digestion. :)

Although sometimes when I'm really hungry and it's cold I want to just shovel it down my gullet and be done with it. :o

Thanks for the heads-up :-) I re-hydrate my mountain house for 5min and use my big spoon to shovel it it in :D