PDA

View Full Version : Trekking Poles & GPS SOS

bkristynicole
01-03-2017, 11:49
I have practically everything that I will need to start my thru hike in April 2017. The only thing that I am told I must get is trekking poles and a GPS SOS tracker like the SPOT.

So, any tried and true suggestions for each? I have actually never used either type of equipment. My previous hiking partner and life partner never used trekking poles, and their parents payed for the SPOT they carried due to parental concern over safety.

I appreciate any advice and suggestions, as these are the last two items on my list...

CoolBobby
01-03-2017, 12:01
Just my 2 cents:
I like my Delorme (Now Garmin) InReach. I use it as a 2 way SOS device, not so much as a GPS on the AT. You can send and receive text messages...

And my Walmart Trekking poles have gone about 1000 miles with no problems. I would not hike without poles now that I have used them for a couple years. Felt silly as hell first, then I realized my knees felt great. :)

illabelle
01-03-2017, 12:07
Be careful about letting other people dictate what you "must get." If you don't need/want poles and a GPS, that's up to you. You're the one who has to carry them.

That said, my poles are one of the most essential items I carry. Would not attempt a hike without them. Mine are Leki Cressida.

pilgrimskywheel
01-03-2017, 12:24
I'm getting a reputation as "The Pole Guy" but, here goes: When I started my thru-hike in '12' I had NO poles. I got to Mountain X-ings in January and still would not buy any. (You can get a set at WalMart for $20 - on trail their hard to find for under $100) "World Wide" told me: "Pilgrim, you may have started this hike without poles, but I'll guarantee you'll finish it with them!" And, he was correct. When the spring thaw comes with the rains the southern AT is slicker than puppy poop pudding. One hard landing on your keister and you'll be shopping for poles. Check the stats on their ability to assist with speed and weight lifting and you'll be sold. As we recently learned however, they are NOT a required piece of life saving equipment. But, they sure do help! (Personally, I think anything which science proves makes you lighter, faster, stronger, and less likely to fall down is a requisite piece of life saving equipment, but that's, as they say: IMHO!)

I carry a SPOT now too. Not so much for rescue purposes, but for communicating with Mama Bear. Much of the AT below Harpers Ferry is a service dead zone, where everyone is clamoring for power and signal. I push my SPOT when I leave camp, and once I've made camp so that the wife knows I'm OK, moving, and where I last was. This way I don't even need to power up my phone until I'm in a town where I can get signal and power up. If you read the report on here about the hiker that died in the Whites recently, the SAR member is quoted with saying words to effect of: "pushing your SPOT means that a rescue is 8-12 hours away". Not real handy if your femur is jutting out of your hip at a right angel!

peakbagger
01-03-2017, 13:05
I agree that GPS tracker similar to Spot device is not a "gotta have" its a nice to have but given most folks hike with cell phones (with Verizon coverage) and live with the limitations. IMHO a separate device is not needed on the AT. A FYI is that in areas with marginal cell reception a text had a much higher likelihood of getting through than a call.

It would be interesting how many of these Spot devices get sent home. I expect once someone is on the trail and realize how the majority of the trail is quite "crowded" and generally close to some civilization that they realize they don't need it. If you are paranoid and want the best chance to get rescued pick up standalone PLB. This is the one I carry http://www.mcmurdomarine.com/personal-locator-beacon/fastfind-220. These are only for emergency use, if you feel you need to leave electronic breadcrumbs and communicate with the real world, spot type devices work but the signal quality is less and someone has to pay a subscription.

Funny how in the good old days thruhikers survived their thru hike with an occasional payphone call and letter or two along the way. Now folks complain if they don't have continuous 4 G service.

With respect to poles, many thru hikers carry them all the way to Katahdin, if they didn't find them essential they would have been sent home long ago. On flat and level sections of trail they actually slow me down so I just carry them in one hand. The other value I find is that unfriendly dogs are a lot more wary with poles in my hands. Most of the time they just stay away bark and growl but over the years I have had to take a swing at them and they generally take off.

ScareBear
01-03-2017, 13:28
You can see if you want to use poles by getting the Walmart pair for 20 bucks and giving them a go. If you like them, keep them. They are pretty durable. You can always upgrade to lighter. I use Black Diamond carbon fibre poles, but that's because I have them already for BC skiing/snowshoeing...

SPOT v. InReach....you should decide what you are going to use the device for and what you are willing to spend. I will leave the research up to you. Just be aware that it isn't the device's limitations that could make you wait 12 hours for rescue, its the weather and your proximity to a trailhead. Personally, I would find the two-way ability useful enough to justify the additional hardware cost and the subsequent additional fees.
YMMV.

pilgrimskywheel
01-03-2017, 13:28
Here's a hint: Pinging home with my SPOT means I never have to talk to anyone. Unless I want to. While I understand you don't NEED one, I'd advise trying a hike without being connected in the usual way to the outside world. No calls, no texts, no email, no surfing, no movies, no TV. Why? Try it and see. Something different happens when you achieve solitude - even if you do it with others. Isn't getting away from it all and trying something completely different the whole point? I see a lot of the younger set face down in their phones out there nowadays. I like this though because it's easy to be more alone and find the actually interesting hikers worth having a conversation with. Do I carry separate junk? Yes. I-pod, camera, SPOT, phone, solar panel, and sometimes a little laptop too. I keep my camera in one hip pouch, and my I-pod in the other, the solar panel on top charging. The rest of the stuff is packed. If you're nuts about weight yah okay whatev - it's not that heavy. And I personally find that weight mania has been carried a little too far. Pun intended. Everything you need for a great hike is already between your ears.

Deadeye
01-03-2017, 13:36
Both are entirely optional - purely personal preference.

Kerosene
01-03-2017, 13:38
I don't really see a need for an emergency locator beacon on the AT, at least during well-traveled months. However, if you feel you must bring something then by all means go for the InReach for its 2-way texting. Yes, it is more expensive, but I've seen and heard of too many situations where missed SPOT messages resulted in undue worry and even unneeded rescue. We purchased an InReach for our JMT thru-hike (which I promptly had to terminate due to a bad knee) and it worked like a charm for my hiking partners.

You have lots of choices for trekking poles. I've used Leki Makalu's for years and enjoy them, but there are many alternatives now (including your big box store options). I would recommend cork handles, however.

bkristynicole
01-03-2017, 13:42
The more I think about it, the less likely I am to take a SPOT or anything like it. I plan on uploading pictures as I go along, and will remain in contact with my sister during the hike... I am not concerned about my safety- mostly others in my life are.

As for the poles, I am looking for ideas... I have read that carbon fiber are really light, but if you are a clutz like me that you might break them... Then there is this other term- corked vs other material.

What poles do you use? What are the features you like about them? I am looking around, but curious as to what others have tried and or love.

Thanks everyone!!

Tundracamper
01-03-2017, 13:45
Poles, sure.

Tundracamper
01-03-2017, 13:50
Poles, sure. (and now to continue!)

I did lots of research on the GPS locator hardware. I decided a missed text from the less powerful hardware (e. g. SPOT), would do more harm than good - momma bear would start worrying. The Personal Locator Beacons, on the other hand, are much more powerful and designed for the last ditch help signal. I think my family is more comfortable knowing that I'm in a dire situation I'm more likely to get the help I need than they are getting periodic messages from me. Do some research to learn the differences.

ScareBear
01-03-2017, 13:59
Cork is a grip material that you find primarily on hiking/trekking poles rather than alpine/touring poles.

Carbon fibre is plenty strong and fairly ding-resistant. However, if you gouge one deep enough, it will affect integrity. Same as if you bend an aluminum pole. Its a few ounces in weight savings. The "swing" is also different with a carbon fibre pole, IMHO. I got a cheap set of carbon fibre poles from monoprice dot com for $50 for my TrailPartner(tm). Had them out yesterday on a quick 8 mile loop and they did just fine. Cork grips. Secure fliplocks.
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=15319

Time Zone
01-03-2017, 14:34
What poles do you use? What are the features you like about them? I am looking around, but curious as to what others have tried and or love.

I like my Komperdell poles, private labeled to LL Bean as the Hikelite model. They are twist lock, not flip lock, but that hasn't been an issue for me. I think if you buy a quality brand, you can have confidence in them. They saved my bacon MANY times, esp. on the Mt. Mitchell trail, which seems to be made of 50% rocks and 49% roots.

I have 2 general suggestions.
1) IMO, shock-absorbing tips weigh more, all else being equal, and offer no compensating benefit. So I'd say skip that feature - JMO.
2) At 6'1" I thought I might need "tall" poles since I often buy tall sizes in shirts and jackets. But I didn't. My poles go to 140 cm and I usually set them at 125 or 130. No need for more in terms of hiking. Could be different for use in a tarptent-type situation.

jeremys
01-03-2017, 15:02
I like my CMT (http://a.co/53QnpXh)s. Saved me several times. Replacement sections are like $10 from their website if you do manage to break something.

Fireplug
01-03-2017, 15:27
Before you get a GPS. ( spot / Inreach ) read the fine print. The one thing i didnt like about the spot was its a yearly membership. Delorme Inreach is a monthly plan. So i looked at reviews of both. SPOT reviews showed ****ty customer service up to the point people were having to cancel their credit cards to get the payments stopped. Just my two cents!!!!!

llittle_llama
01-03-2017, 19:16
Poles, hell yes. I won't hike without them.

GPS, meh. I have my cell if I need something but my family can kiss my butt goodbye. Once I'm on the trail I'll shoot a few messages every night to everyone and in the meantime if I can't due to cell service they can wait a few days. I'm a big boy and can take care of myself, it's not like I'm hiking Mount Everest here. We're not exactly hiking a trail alone here, and even day hikers will be hitting parts of the trail from time to time.

Odd Man Out
01-03-2017, 21:50
I have use BlackBerry Diamond Alpine Ergo Cork poles. These are very nice, full featured poles, but heavy. I then switched to Fizen Compact poles (via Mass drop to my knowledge not sold in stores in the US). These are ultralight aluminum poles. Very basic but I've come to appreciate the simplicity and lightweight of the Fizan.

llittle_llama
01-03-2017, 22:05
I have some super nice Leki aluminum poles that have served me well over the years, but I'm trying to decide if I should make the swap to CF or not. I'll be weighing all my gear this week and will decide then.

pilgrimskywheel
01-03-2017, 22:50
Komperdell or Leki - love em both!

Traveler
01-04-2017, 10:18
FWIW - Unless tracking of your progress is required, texts to home are needed, or you will be on more remote sections of the AT in winter season when foot traffic is at its lowest, I really don't see a SPOT or similar device as essential equipment.

For me, poles are required gear.

DuneElliot
01-04-2017, 11:29
I'm with a lot of others here. I have found hiking poles to be invaluable, but I also use them for my tent; they have saved me from several nasty falls, but they are a personal preference and I often just carry them in one hand if I'm on an easy to moderate trail when they are less necessary. I do like my Cascade Mountain Tech poles for the price at $45 from Amazon. They are carbon fiber, are adjustable and feel really solid without any vibration. If you think you might want to go the hiking pole route I would suggest them over the really cheap Walmart version. Flip locks vs twist locks also seem to be the better option.

I carry a DeLorme InReach any time I'm hiking out of cell range, which is almost all of the time for me. I like their monthly plans, their two way communication (for emergency response not for texting) and the ability to be paired with their GPS map on my phone. I would probably still carry it on the AT, but that's just me; sometimes an emergency can be affected by minutes.

Offshore
01-04-2017, 12:24
FYI - Garmin just announced two new inReach models at CES yesterday, so any reviews here of the DeLorme-era models aren't applicable to someone now looking to buy an inReach. They are all new devices whose performance reamains to be seen. The new ones look like Garmin GPSmap 64 GPS units. The prices also got "remodeled" too and are now at $400 and $450 with monthly plans starting at $14.95 for a very bare-bones "safety" plan.

Turk6177
01-04-2017, 12:49
I use my SPOT Gen 3 to map out my tracks and for my family to see where I am, more for their curiosity. I also push a button every night to let my family know where I am camping. I am also a firm believer in trekking poles. I use some carbon fiber ones from REI and have liked them.

DuneElliot
01-04-2017, 12:54
FYI - Garmin just announced two new inReach models at CES yesterday, so any reviews here of the DeLorme-era models aren't applicable to someone now looking to buy an inReach. They are all new devices whose performance reamains to be seen. The new ones look like Garmin GPSmap 64 GPS units. The prices also got "remodeled" too and are now at $400 and $450 with monthly plans starting at $14.95 for a very bare-bones "safety" plan.

Good to know. Glad I got mine already. The bare-bones safety plan from DeLorme was $11.95 so a slight increase. I plan on going on a yearly plan this year with doing a lot more alone travel, even by vehicle. It's a safety net for me since I have no family to call in my disappearance if something happens.

DuneElliot
01-04-2017, 13:19
I just got done researching the Garmin version of the InReach on their website. I don't see it offering any significant improvements or extras except a slightly newer, sleeker design that accounts for the $150 price increase. The DeLorme version is still available on Amazon though.

Huli
01-04-2017, 15:08
I agree with Deadeye.
Personally, I use neither.

Venchka
01-04-2017, 15:44
For the AT, a phone with Verizon combined with all of the folks in the neighborhood should be good.
Out west I carry one of these:
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170104/d91fd3f2f68cb55baf97cf4252a31e8b.jpg
I don't need two way chit chat. I do need to be found when the manure hits the fan.
Good luck.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offshore
01-04-2017, 16:21
I just got done researching the Garmin version of the InReach on their website. I don't see it offering any significant improvements or extras except a slightly newer, sleeker design that accounts for the $150 price increase. The DeLorme version is still available on Amazon though.

This would be a great time to try and grab the outgoing model if the inReach is the device for you. A lot of places show them as not available, but some places are discounting them. Heck - even if you buy the older model at full price, its still a savings over the new Garmin prices.

Tundracamper
01-04-2017, 21:26
For the AT, a phone with Verizon combined with all of the folks in the neighborhood should be good.
I don't need two way chit chat. I do need to be found when the manure hits the fan.
Good luck.
Wayne

This is one of those PLBs I mentioned earlier. No subscription plan. You press the button and it sends your location to multiple NOAA satellites. Then, they send a rescue team to come get you. The only requirement is that you register the device with the government, so they know who to contact in case of emergency. These transmit at a higher power level as well.

http://m.outdoorgearlab.com/Personal-Locator-Beacon-Reviews/Buying-Advice

MuddyWaters
01-04-2017, 22:00
I dont hike without poles

I have a plb nowdays. I have taken it when solo in a couple less traveled remote places. Not on the AT though.

Could it save your life? Sure. We can make up any scenario we like. But to live freely, you really have to accept that you could die out there, and not worry about it.

CELTIC BUCK
01-04-2017, 22:58
Black diamond is the way to go. tried other poles didn't last a week in Penn.

Venchka
01-05-2017, 00:44
This is one of those PLBs I mentioned earlier. No subscription plan. You press the button and it sends your location to multiple NOAA satellites. Then, they send a rescue team to come get you. The only requirement is that you register the device with the government, so they know who to contact in case of emergency. These transmit at a higher power level as well.

http://m.outdoorgearlab.com/Personal-Locator-Beacon-Reviews/Buying-Advice

Exactly. Being found as soon as possible is the whole purpose. The EPIRB/PLB system has been around since forever. It works.
One caveat: The lithium battery doesn't need charging but does need to be replaced every 5 years. The current battery price is ~$150. Less than the cost of 5 years of SPOT or inReach service. Or just buy a new unit. I used the REI 20% coupon and got a $50 manufacturer rebate. $175 plus tax, $35 per year.
Wayne

rafe
01-05-2017, 01:45
Trekking poles -- not quite essential, but most hikers (myself included) find them useful. GPS, not needed at all.

Can't comment on the SPOT devices, never owned or used one. Most AT hikers carry cell phones, and thru-hikers use them along with apps like GutHook. You can generally get cell service on summits and ridgelines along the AT. Shelters and campsites, being down low and in protected places, often don't have service.

Lyle
01-05-2017, 12:46
Do yourself a huge favor and very seriously consider PacerPoles. Completely unique grip that makes these poles more efficient and MUCH more comfortable to use, particularly for the downhills when most folks value their poles the most. Been using them for over 12 years now (same pair) and would never go back to traditional poles.

http://www.pacerpole.com/

Another Kevin
01-06-2017, 14:57

I carry exactly the same model - except that mine looks to be a couple or three years older - when I'm planning a trip solo, or off-trail, or in deep winter. I wouldn't bother with it on the AT in peak season, but I don't hike the AT in peak season.

At this point, if I were looking at it again, I'd have to weigh the price against the risk that Uncle Sam will shut down the system. Let shipwrecks and plane crashes pay for their own satellites, it's a burden on the taxpayers, I imagine the pols saying.

meat803
01-07-2017, 10:23
I thru hiked in 2015. I highly recommend getting flip lock type as the screw lock type are more prone to failure. I used a pair of black diamonds until PA, about a thousand miles, before one of the tips broke. I went with 1 pole until around CT and I got another pair of black diamonds that I left in someone's car in the whites. I gave that 1 good pole to a guy in CT and he used it all the way to Katahdin. The straps on the BDs frayed out in about 1000 miles but overall still usable and I cant complain too much. The BDs did their job.

When I got a new pair in the whites, I got Leki's. I liked them much more. I also heard many accounts on the trail about how BD doesn't have much of a warranty for thru hikers, but Many hikers spoke of how Leki had a lifetime warranty and are good for it. I have about 1000 miles on those lekis now and they are still going strong even though I am rough with them. If I ever need to buy another pair, it will be Leki's. Many hikers say the same. The quality and true lifetime warranty is key. Manufacturers that support thru hikers will always have a loyal customer with me.

MuddyWaters
01-07-2017, 12:38
mine is one of these.
7 yr battery

very rarely accompanies me
never used, never plan to
But when needed, toss it in pack. Always ready

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhwdftWMUMl9KWZvINnqS5XvSIrNP1b omuqws7QKbsfi5q6Dsq

iAmKrzys
01-07-2017, 23:46
One of the concerns I have about devices that don't provide tracking is that it is impossible to verify their accuracy and performance in variety of conditions. Having Spot 3 I have a lot more chances to explore its limitations (and complain about it too!)

peakbagger
01-08-2017, 07:54
Sounds like someone is a bit bitter about the recent shift in Washington ;). Luckily this system is international in scope, the satellite receivers are owned and maintained by multiple countries thus its less vulnerable to one countries unilateral decision. Given the several proposals for new low earth satellite networks to supply wireless internet services I would worry more about the Iridium network that Spot uses getting splashed (like it almost was at one point).

I carry exactly the same model - except that mine looks to be a couple or three years older - when I'm planning a trip solo, or off-trail, or in deep winter. I wouldn't bother with it on the AT in peak season, but I don't hike the AT in peak season.

At this point, if I were looking at it again, I'd have to weigh the price against the risk that Uncle Sam will shut down the system. Let shipwrecks and plane crashes pay for their own satellites, it's a burden on the taxpayers, I imagine the pols saying.

Engine
01-08-2017, 08:19
Poles make the day easier and safer.

As some have already mentioned, the SPOT is not really a huge benefit on the AT...you'll have plenty of people around 90% of the time. I have a small PLB which I carry in the plane and I would absolutely carry it on the CDT or the PCT, but I'm leaving it behind this March on the AT. (I know that was a lot of acronyms) :)

bkristynicole
01-09-2017, 13:49
Thanks everyone! I am currently shopping for poles... I have never really used them before... I just power through... I am very determined. LOL

As for the PLB or Spot, I have decided to forego despite my compatriots that I will be leaving are worried about me... I just keep telling them the same thing everyone has mentioned about this topic. Honestly, no one really gets it and that is okay.

Offshore
01-09-2017, 13:59
One of the concerns I have about devices that don't provide tracking is that it is impossible to verify their accuracy and performance in variety of conditions. Having Spot 3 I have a lot more chances to explore its limitations (and complain about it too!)

Happy Spot3 owner here - Just remember when you look at the Spot data plotted on the map or aerial, look at where the points hit, not the interpolated (connect the dots) lines when judging accuracy. The points are the actual measured locations, the lines are just connected dots. The more tracking points you record, the higher resolution your track will be and the closer the connect-the-points line will be to your actual track.

lesliedgray
01-09-2017, 14:40
Just my 2 cents:
I like my Delorme (Now Garmin) InReach. I use it as a 2 way SOS device, not so much as a GPS on the AT. You can send and receive text messages...

And my Walmart Trekking poles have gone about 1000 miles with no problems. I would not hike without poles now that I have used them for a couple years. Felt silly as hell first, then I realized my knees felt great. :)

I am glad to hear you mention that your trekking poles came from Walmart.. i have been eyeballing these piles for a bit but didn't want ti waste my money if they were worthless.. i am a wanna-be hiker who is just getting started collecting my gear.. i have the AT and the Camino de Santiago on my bucket list.. i walk around here, but in south Tx, it is pretty much flat terrain.. i plan to do some hikes up in and around the Hill Country, but, as I said, i'm just getting started... walmart also has a light back-packer's sleeping bag rated for 40 degrees.. do you know anything about that one?

Traveler
01-09-2017, 15:00
FWIW, the hill country that might include Lost Maples SP is really not going to give you much of an idea of the trail overall, but might help you make the decision on poles. If you opt to get a set of these, which I use routinely as do many here, I advise people to take the time to look in a gear shop like REI or other place that has a fairly broad assortment of this equipment so you can handle each type of pole before you decide on one type. You may find some gear retailers will rent equipment you can try as well.

While the lower end poles at Walmart are attractively priced, they may not include the level things you would find attractive if you knew of them, like padding on the wrist straps so you avoid rubbing your wrist raw, or the gauge of materials used to build the pole/grips/locking mechanisms that may not stand up well. There are some poles at Walmart that are higher end so if thats an option, look at both closely and you will probably see the differences between them and be able to make a better informed decision.

Venchka
01-09-2017, 21:35
Hello neighbor! I'm in NE Texas.
If you want some good practice, take your loaded pack and go walk up and down Enchanted Rock. You can also hike around the rock to backcountry campsites.
Have fun.
Wayne

iAmKrzys
01-09-2017, 22:45
Happy Spot3 owner here - Just remember when you look at the Spot data plotted on the map or aerial, look at where the points hit, not the interpolated (connect the dots) lines when judging accuracy. The points are the actual measured locations, the lines are just connected dots. The more tracking points you record, the higher resolution your track will be and the closer the connect-the-points line will be to your actual track.
I compared locations reported by my Spot3 against two of my Garmin gps units - eTrex 30 and eTrex Vista HCX that I usually carry with me for trail mapping. My impression is that my Spot3 has become better as of late but I had some grossly incorrect locations in the past. This is why I like to use tracking - it is easier to weed out bad data points and for someone to guess what I might be up to in the woods.

iAmKrzys
01-09-2017, 22:53
I am glad to hear you mention that your trekking poles came from Walmart.. i have been eyeballing these piles for a bit but didn't want ti waste my money if they were worthless..
I started with aluminium poles and later upgraded to carbon fiber. Walmart trekking poles are probably cheapest thing you can buy but once you swing them all day long you will begin to appreciate every ounce that you don't need to carry with you.

I also prefer to have external locking mechanism (my first set of poles had internal screw-in locks that froze) and I like to use them for firm footing while descending so I didn't want to get ones that are shock absorbing.

iAmKrzys
01-09-2017, 23:00
As for the PLB or Spot, I have decided to forego despite my compatriots that I will be leaving are worried about me... I just keep telling them the same thing everyone has mentioned about this topic. Honestly, no one really gets it and that is okay.
If you decide to forego PLB or Spot then do yourself a favor and get some app for your phone that can work with off-line maps, so that you can figure out where you are in case you go off trail and somehow get lost where there is no cell phone service (it happens to hikers from time to time.) Personally I have OsmAnd+ on my Android phone but I also see postings from happy users of Backcountry Navigator or Guthook.

lesliedgray
01-09-2017, 23:14
I started with aluminium poles and later upgraded to carbon fiber. Walmart trekking poles are probably cheapest thing you can buy but once you swing them all day long you will begin to appreciate every ounce that you don't need to carry with you.

I also prefer to have external locking mechanism (my first set of poles had internal screw-in locks that froze) and I like to use them for firm footing while descending so I didn't want to get ones that are shock absorbing.

I will probably try the poles with the external locking button.. i have searched and read much about poles and find that they can be cheap, reasonable and crazy expensive.. i was in REI a couple weeks ago but did not think to try out some of their piles.. i looked through them a little, but did not actually try them.... i try to buy quality when i can, but, also appreciate that some items may serve their purpose for less $$. I am sure that after a few treks i will hone my preferences a bit.. i plan to do a couple sections of the AT this year, starting from the southern end..
we plan to retire this year and move to NE Tenn, not far from the AT .. i will have easy access then

ScareBear
01-10-2017, 04:27
REI is a good place to try poles at. You can see the difference in the swing between a carbon and aluminum pole. If you have any notion of using your poles as tent poles, be sure to get the most adjustable poles possible...just sayin...

lesliedgray
01-10-2017, 09:27
REI is a good place to try poles at. You can see the difference in the swing between a carbon and aluminum pole. If you have any notion of using your poles as tent poles, be sure to get the most adjustable poles possible...just sayin...

Good tip..

ScareBear
01-10-2017, 10:24
I am glad to hear you mention that your trekking poles came from Walmart.. i have been eyeballing these piles for a bit but didn't want ti waste my money if they were worthless.. i am a wanna-be hiker who is just getting started collecting my gear.. i have the AT and the Camino de Santiago on my bucket list.. i walk around here, but in south Tx, it is pretty much flat terrain.. i plan to do some hikes up in and around the Hill Country, but, as I said, i'm just getting started... walmart also has a light back-packer's sleeping bag rated for 40 degrees.. do you know anything about that one?

If that is the Ozark Trails black/orange bag, yep. It isn't a true 40, more like a +45. That said, for the size, weight and price, it is a fine bag, especially with a liner. My son used it with a liner(only when needed a couple of nights when it was damp and chilly) for a week on the AT and was fine with it. He doesn't like down when it gets warmer and we already had the liner...just sayin...

lesliedgray
01-10-2017, 11:33
If that is the Ozark Trails black/orange bag, yep. It isn't a true 40, more like a +45. That said, for the size, weight and price, it is a fine bag, especially with a liner. My son used it with a liner(only when needed a couple of nights when it was damp and chilly) for a week on the AT and was fine with it. He doesn't like down when it gets warmer and we already had the liner...just sayin...

Good to know.. i have a liner already, and wondered if i would be ok with liner and that bag.. i am somewhat of a cold sleeper anyway ( i'm cold at 60 degrees) and i, no doubt, would be sleeping in a warm base layer with some thick socks.. i have also found a Hyke & Byke Snowmass 0 degree down SB on Amazon for 150.00. I am thinking about it, also..I have been researching brand, quality and prices on the gear that i think that i would need, and 500 bucks for a sleeping bag is way out of my range.

jcravens
01-21-2017, 07:06
I've used Walmart poles, both rubber and cork handles. I like the cork way more than the rubber... just feels and grips better with all the sweat. I've broken one pole in a stumble, but I've met several people who broke their high dollar Leki's, too, so doesn't seem to make a difference.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

ScareBear
01-21-2017, 07:55
Good to know.. i have a liner already, and wondered if i would be ok with liner and that bag.. i am somewhat of a cold sleeper anyway ( i'm cold at 60 degrees) and i, no doubt, would be sleeping in a warm base layer with some thick socks.. i have also found a Hyke & Byke Snowmass 0 degree down SB on Amazon for 150.00. I am thinking about it, also..I have been researching brand, quality and prices on the gear that i think that i would need, and 500 bucks for a sleeping bag is way out of my range.

You won't be ok with a liner and that bag at 35 degrees....its a summer-only AT bag with liner.

0 degrees is overkill for the AT, IMHO. You should be OK with a 20 degree bag, even as a cold sleeper, especially if you bring a liner. You can always add clothes, gloves, hat, etc...if it gets cold in the bag. Add raingear as a next-to-last resort...

lwhikerchris
01-29-2017, 17:48
These got me thru:

Life360 - it's an app for your phone so others can see where you are. Peace of mind for loved ones.
Gossamer Gear LT4 poles - super light and doubled as my tent poles, but expensive. Awesome customer service and they replace if broken.

Christoph
01-29-2017, 19:01
I've used some Walmart poles and I wouldn't have gotten as far as I did without them. I wouldn't carry a GPS but that's just me. Plenty of service to send a text or 2. I think I sent a few about every day to my family to let them know things were going ok (or not).

Grampie
01-29-2017, 22:44
I am a caretaker at the cabin at Upper Goose pond 1540 from Springer. 9 out of 10 hikers who get that far are using poles. As far as a tracking device, I don,t think one is needed.