PDA

View Full Version : Trip Advice: Springer Mountain to Unicoi Gap.

BayouBackpacker
01-03-2017, 16:49
Hey WhiteBlaze Folks,

My fiance and I are looking to honeymoon on the AT in mid-march. We plan to be shuttled to Springer Mountain on Monday and stay the night at Len Foote Inn. Then hike Tuesday-Friday back to our car, arrive late Friday evening at car at Unicoi Gap. Then spend the weekend in neighboring towns. It will be our first trip to the AT so I was wondering how feasible this sounds. We have some backpacking experience notably in Arkansas and Oklahoma, so similar terrain but not quite as strenuous. We recently completed a 3 day trip in Arkansas averaging about 12 miles/day at a comfortable pace. We would need to average around 13 miles per day to cover the distance. I was thinking we should add on a 1/2 saturday, or decrease total mileage. Fiance is saying "lets set the bar high".

I'm wondering, is this an attainable goal or are we probably biting off more than we can chew? We'll have sub 20lb packs and we will have a tent with us.

Any advice regarding this tentative plan is appreciated.

Regards,
BayouBackpacker

soumodeler
01-03-2017, 17:02
First thought: You will be in the middle of the main thru hiker crowds. Expect 50+ people at shelters.

I am guessing you are being shuttled to Amicalola Falls State Park and hiking the Approach Trail to the Hike Inn (Green Blazed) Trail? Stay the night at the Hike Inn and continue on to Springer the next day? Or are you being shuttled to Springer parking lot at FS42 and hiking back down the approach trail to the Hike Inn?

If the first option, 4 days is doable, but most people take 3 days to get to Neel Gap at mile 31.7. After that it is another 1.5 or 2 days to Unicoi for the average hiker. I would personally add the 1/2 day and come out on Saturday. Backpacking on the AT in Georgia is not comparable to flatter areas. It can be a nasty surprise for the unprepared.

Second option, why backtrack past Springer? Just stay at the shelter.

A few more things: if you are sure you are going, reserve your shuttle now. Don't wait until the thru hikers have booked everything up. Expect crowds everywhere, especially on the weekends, but it looks like you will avoid most of that. Be prepared for miserable weather and check the forecasts before leaving home. A good estimate is look at the Dahlonega, GA weather and subtract 15 degrees.

soumodeler
01-03-2017, 17:03
And by the way, congratulations!

MuddyWaters
01-03-2017, 17:08
Not a problem
Have fun
Expect lots of company
I mean lots

Turk6177
01-03-2017, 17:44
It is doable, but don't forget that your hours of daylight are not that long during March. That accounts for less hours hiking per day. In addition if you don't make it to your goal and want a shuttle, you may have to wait a bit to get a shuttle since you will be in the midst of a lot of thru-hiker attempters. If you go 10 miles a day, you will easily make it to Neels Gap, where you can decide whether to move on or just get a ride.

Dan Roper
01-03-2017, 18:09
There's probably a 75% chance that weather will be bad during part of the trip. It's common that time of year to have lots of rain, or rain, or cold, or (not uncommonly) day after day of sunny skies and mild temperatures. In the latter case, sunburn can be an issue on south slopes due to lack of a hardwood canopy.

The hardest part of the trail will be around days two to four - Sassafras Mountain to the climb out of Neal's Gap. After Low Gap, the terrain to Unicoi Gap is friendly and you'll make good time even if it is raining (but not if it's icy).

By mid March, you'll be nearing the spring equinox, so short days won't really be a problem any more. Twelve or thirteen mile days should be fine if the weather and blisters cooperate.

Slo-go'en
01-03-2017, 18:13
If your going to stay at the Len Foot inn, you might as well start at the state park. Spend the first night at the lodge there. Or if you can get there early enough, hike up to the inn from the lodge (skipping the 800 steps up along the waterfall).

As others have said, a weekend start in Mid March (March 15th is one of the peak departure days but since that falls on a Wednesday this year, the weekends on other side will bare the brunt), there will be a LOT of others starting.

Coming from New Orleans to the mountains of GA in mid March with sub 20 pound packs (food and water included?) means you either have some really good UL gear or will freeze your butts off. Wet snow is a possibility that time of year, but ice cold rain is more likely. You'll have a better idea of what kind of weather to expect as you get closer to the departure date but any forecast more then a few days out can't be counted on.

BayouBackpacker
01-03-2017, 18:42
If your going to stay at the Len Foot inn, you might as well start at the state park. Spend the first night at the lodge there. Or if you can get there early enough, hike up to the inn from the lodge (skipping the 800 steps up along the waterfall).

As others have said, a weekend start in Mid March (March 15th is one of the peak departure days but since that falls on a Wednesday this year, the weekends on other side will bare the brunt), there will be a LOT of others starting.

Coming from New Orleans to the mountains of GA in mid March with sub 20 pound packs (food and water included?) means you either have some really good UL gear or will freeze your butts off. Wet snow is a possibility that time of year, but ice cold rain is more likely. You'll have a better idea of what kind of weather to expect as you get closer to the departure date but any forecast more then a few days out can't be counted on.

Why do you recommend the State Park vs the Len Foot Inn? I thought it would be a fun experience, and since it's our honeymoon I'm willing to spend the extra cash. Also puts us ~5 miles ahead of the state park Tuesday. Is the state park lodge preferable?

I'm was aware of crowds (although I was expecting dozens of people at shelters not 50+ :eek:). Also aware of the weather and hopefully prepared. We've got a tarptent and 30 degree bags that we've taken to the low 20s. We're also prepared to make alternate plans if it looks like a severe cold snap or inclement weather is headed that way.

ScareBear
01-03-2017, 19:19
Congrats!!

Is there something in particular about the AT, in March, that cries out to you, "HONEYMOON!!"?

Second, what was your total vertical per day for your recent 12mile/day trip?

skater
01-03-2017, 20:19
My best guess is you will probably need that 1/2 day, although much depends on your level of determination. Since your car will be at Unicoi, if I understand correctly, it seems your biggest risk if you fall behind schedule is running short of food. If so, worst case is you go hungry for half a day. You might be able to add some supplies at Mountain Crossing, if the crowd doesn't buy it out first. Although I usually preach caution, in this case I say go for a 4 day hike (but stay flexible on post-hike plans).

BTW, Len Foote Inn rocks. You will love it.

Slo-go'en
01-03-2017, 20:44
If your driving to Georgia, then your probably not going to get there until late in the day and will have to spend the night somewhere. The Len Foot inn is only accessible by foot, so it's either a 5 mile hike up from the park or a 3 mile hike down from Springer. The hike up from the Lodge will be harder then the hike down from Springer, but you have to then hike back up to Springer.

The Lodge at the park is a nice place to stay. Plus you can park your car there indefinitely, it will be an easier place to get back to and would eliminate needing a shuttle to get to the FS 42 parking lot. You could still stay at the inn and make it a short first day, or continue on and stay at the Springer shelter or possibly go a little farther to Stover Creek (which I think is a little nicer).

A 30 degree bag is going to be very marginal. Most people that time of year will have a 0 degree bag. If you get caught in a couple of days of rain and everything is damp or wet and your tired, cold and hungry, you will suffer greatly in a 30 degree bag.

ScareBear
01-03-2017, 21:13
If your driving to Georgia, then your probably not going to get there until late in the day and will have to spend the night somewhere. The Len Foot inn is only accessible by foot, so it's either a 5 mile hike up from the park or a 3 mile hike down from Springer. The hike up from the Lodge will be harder then the hike down from Springer, but you have to then hike back up to Springer.

The Lodge at the park is a nice place to stay. Plus you can park your car there indefinitely, it will be an easier place to get back to and would eliminate needing a shuttle to get to the FS 42 parking lot. You could still stay at the inn and make it a short first day, or continue on and stay at the Springer shelter or possibly go a little farther to Stover Creek (which I think is a little nicer).

A 30 degree bag is going to be very marginal. Most people that time of year will have a 0 degree bag. If you get caught in a couple of days of rain and everything is damp or wet and your tired, cold and hungry, you will suffer greatly in a 30 degree bag.
The only people with 0 degree bags are those that are not going to make it out of Georgia. If it gets to 0F in March on the AT in Georgia, that will be a near-record low. Talk about overkill....the average low in March is right around 30 degrees at 3000ft...most people start with 20 degree bags...I'm not sure how YMMV, but somebody will argue with me, I'm sure...

Dan Roper
01-03-2017, 21:57
You can throw those averages out the window, because it's a misleading statistic. March is an incredibly variable month with temperatures below 30 very often, especially before late month. March 15 is still winter in the Georgia high country. Low 20s will be common on clear nights; teens are possible; single digits are rare bot possible. A 30-degree bag will work great if it's one of those long dry spells of 60 highs/30 lows. But if it dip into the upper teens with high winds it'll be a different story.

BayouBackpacker
01-03-2017, 21:58
Congrats!!

Is there something in particular about the AT, in March, that cries out to you, "HONEYMOON!!"?

Second, what was your total vertical per day for your recent 12mile/day trip?

First- What screams honeymoon? Haha! Low budget, lots of adventure. We get bored easily and need activity. Obviously the crowds and temp aren't ideal, but that's when we're getting married. Also the idealistic notion of starting the AT as a honeymoon, and continuing to section hike it throughout the years, picking up where we left off.

To your second question, total vertical change (ascent/descent) was about 5500 over the total trip. Some days more than others, but I guess you could say average of ~1800ft/day.

Also we are splitting the drive up between Sunday/Monday to make Len Foote Inn early Monday, sorry I did not clarify that earlier. In regards to gear and temperatures, I'm aware of the cold temperatures. I think we are prepared with gear for High-Teens Low-Twenties. Are we mentally prepared? Probably not, but like I said limited vacation time and this is a memorable time to do it.

Are thru-hikers in March just bearing down to get the mileage in? Are they not enjoying it? I was under the impression March was a fair time to start, even with quickly changing weather. I figured most of the really tough weather would come in NC/Tennessee in the smokey's.

-Thanks for all the advice,
BayouBackpacker

MuddyWaters
01-03-2017, 22:10
I met a japanese couple( from Japan) on their honeymoon doing same thing, only they stayed at Hiker Hostel and were shuttled by them.

Most thru hikers are taking it easy and easing into it. They are in it for long haul. You can do higher mileage and if you get injured so what, all you have to make is 4 days.

March is highest rain month in Ga

Dan Roper
01-03-2017, 22:11
March is a tough month in the Georgia mountains most of the time. Thru-hikers begin leaving in numbers in late February and in March because they're anxious to get going and because they wish to clear the Middle Atlantic States before summer (heat, lack of good water sources). Since so many thru hikers choose March, you can guess that the weather is usually acceptable. But many, many thru hikers end up riding out storms in Hiawassee or Helen.

We're not discoursing you from starting in March - rather just encouraging you to approach it with realistic information, realistic gear, and to carefully monitor the weather forecast as your departure date approaches.

Have fun!

baszabo
01-03-2017, 22:12
Do you have reservations for len foote? Hope you have them. I tried for 3 separate dates to get 2 nights and could only get one night and I was looking at week days, weekends, forget about it.

BayouBackpacker
01-03-2017, 22:32
I have a reservation for Len Foote Inn yes. I'm currently trying to decide Hostel/B&B reservations and shuttle options for the return trip. Thus the question of reasonable distances. Hiking towards your vehicle seems the most convenient. Also that way if we do need the extra 1/2 day it's a matter of empty stomachs, not a big logistical headache. Even then we could pack an extra cliff bar and extra coffee and it wouldn't be a big deal. Just reservations for the weekend is what I'm trying to nail down.

Again thanks everyone for comments. The more information and personal advice the better, we are trying to be as prepared as possible.

-BayouBackpacker

ScareBear
01-03-2017, 22:55
First- What screams honeymoon? Haha! Low budget, lots of adventure. We get bored easily and need activity. Obviously the crowds and temp aren't ideal, but that's when we're getting married. Also the idealistic notion of starting the AT as a honeymoon, and continuing to section hike it throughout the years, picking up where we left off.

To your second question, total vertical change (ascent/descent) was about 5500 over the total trip. Some days more than others, but I guess you could say average of ~1800ft/day.

Also we are splitting the drive up between Sunday/Monday to make Len Foote Inn early Monday, sorry I did not clarify that earlier. In regards to gear and temperatures, I'm aware of the cold temperatures. I think we are prepared with gear for High-Teens Low-Twenties. Are we mentally prepared? Probably not, but like I said limited vacation time and this is a memorable time to do it.

Are thru-hikers in March just bearing down to get the mileage in? Are they not enjoying it? I was under the impression March was a fair time to start, even with quickly changing weather. I figured most of the really tough weather would come in NC/Tennessee in the smokey's.

-Thanks for all the advice,
BayouBackpacker

Awwwww.....that is so sweet! I like the fact that you plan on continuing to hike the AT throughout the marriage. Limited budget also comes into play on the honeymoon and this is a very good option! You don't have to stay at shelters, there are plenty of great campsites that folks overlook. Just keep your eyes open and be flexible!

So, mid-March at Springer Mt. is fun. There are the pie-in-the-sky dreamers who have retired and think they are going to thru hike with a 60 lb pack. You will see plenty of them before Neels Gap. None after. There are the young chargers who are checking it off their bucket list. You won't see them for long, they are in the sack early and up before the roosters. They don't need to "ease" into anything.... There are the trail "wanderers" those people who have sought the trail for any myriad of reasons. Many think they will thru hike. Others think they will find what they are looking for. Some believe they will do both. Most won't accomplish either, statistically speaking. They drop at varying rates, but I'd say at least half are gone by Neels Gap. The rest are fairly "normal" people who have dreamed of this for years and have made serious preparations, both logistically and physically. They will give it their best shot. 1/2 are done by Harper's Ferry and half again don't finish.
The thing is, it is great people watching/meeting. A complete slice of the American Pie, if you will. Optimism and high spirits abound!
Of course, all of this can change with a week of constant rain at 35 degrees. Or ice storms. Or snow. Or, how about all three in the same week?!?! Just be prepared and prepare to be flexible. Keep the numbers of shuttles handy and don't be too proud to grab a ride to town for a cheap motel. After two nights of rain during the day and 25 degrees and 25knt winds at night, even the most basic of rooms with a steaming hot shower will become the best honeymoon suite, ever!!! Speaking of which, make your reservations now for a nice cabin just up the road/trail from Neels Gap, if it fits your trail timing...also, if you don't go off trail until you get done, be sure and spend a couple of bucks extra for a hotel with a hot tub or a room with one!!!

Just be advised that you are going to get your entire vertical change from your last trip in your first day of 13 miles from Springer to Brookshire Gap! And, you get to finish that first day with a friggin straight pull(no switchbacks) up Justus from Cooper Gap...it's only about a 600' elevation change but it is a tough pull up at the end of your first day! Don't feel bad if you cut short at Coopers Gap, there's often a potable water tanker there, courtesy of the 5th Ranger Batallion in nearby Camp Merrill. Plenty of good camping around there. 5th Rangers conducts the Mountain Phase of Ranger School right freaking there, on the AT! Coopers Gap is often a nighttime battle site and you could be treated to one hell of a fireworks show!!!

Really, the parade of hyper-optimistic(yet anxious) humanity that time of year is something to behold! A super fun idea for a honeymoon, IMHO!

GOOD LUCK!

soumodeler
01-03-2017, 22:57
Hiking to your car is the best option. That way you don't have to find a shuttle driver at the last minute. The drivers also prefer it that way.

As for food, you will know by the time you reach Neel Gap when you will be finishing up. Pick up any needed extra food there. They will have enough for you.

trailmercury
01-03-2017, 23:06
Awwwww.....that is so sweet! I like the fact that you plan on continuing to hike the AT throughout the marriage. Limited budget also comes into play on the honeymoon and this is a very good option! You don't have to stay at shelters, there are plenty of great campsites that folks overlook. Just keep your eyes open and be flexible!

So, mid-March at Springer Mt. is fun. There are the pie-in-the-sky dreamers who have retired and think they are going to thru hike with a 60 lb pack. You will see plenty of them before Neels Gap. None after. There are the young chargers who are checking it off their bucket list. You won't see them for long, they are in the sack early and up before the roosters. They don't need to "ease" into anything.... There are the trail "wanderers" those people who have sought the trail for any myriad of reasons. Many think they will thru hike. Others think they will find what they are looking for. Some believe they will do both. Most won't accomplish either, statistically speaking. They drop at varying rates, but I'd say at least half are gone by Neels Gap. The rest are fairly "normal" people who have dreamed of this for years and have made serious preparations, both logistically and physically. They will give it their best shot. 1/2 are done by Harper's Ferry and half again don't finish.
The thing is, it is great people watching/meeting. A complete slice of the American Pie, if you will. Optimism and high spirits abound!
Of course, all of this can change with a week of constant rain at 35 degrees. Or ice storms. Or snow. Or, how about all three in the same week?!?! Just be prepared and prepare to be flexible. Keep the numbers of shuttles handy and don't be too proud to grab a ride to town for a cheap motel. After two nights of rain during the day and 25 degrees and 25knt winds at night, even the most basic of rooms with a steaming hot shower will become the best honeymoon suite, ever!!! Speaking of which, make your reservations now for a nice cabin just up the road/trail from Neels Gap, if it fits your trail timing...also, if you don't go off trail until you get done, be sure and spend a couple of bucks extra for a hotel with a hot tub or a room with one!!!

Just be advised that you are going to get your entire vertical change from your last trip in your first day of 13 miles from Springer to Brookshire Gap! And, you get to finish that first day with a friggin straight pull(no switchbacks) up Justus from Cooper Gap...it's only about a 600' elevation change but it is a tough pull up at the end of your first day! Don't feel bad if you cut short at Coopers Gap, there's often a potable water tanker there, courtesy of the 5th Ranger Batallion in nearby Camp Merrill. Plenty of good camping around there. 5th Rangers conducts the Mountain Phase of Ranger School right freaking there, on the AT! Coopers Gap is often a nighttime battle site and you could be treated to one hell of a fireworks show!!!

Really, the parade of hyper-optimistic(yet anxious) humanity that time of year is something to behold! A super fun idea for a honeymoon, IMHO!

GOOD LUCK!
Excellent post!
to the OP, congrats dude!
Enjoy the hike, the Blood Mountain Cabins that he is referencing are on my radar at Neels for my thru attempt, starting 4/3/2017

trailmercury
01-03-2017, 23:11
I assumed Scarebear was a "he" if not, very sorry about that!

ScareBear
01-03-2017, 23:25
Heh heh...yeah....I'm a "he"! :cool::cool: