PDA

View Full Version : Enigma Quilt

boshettee
01-03-2017, 19:36
I have a Nemo Strato Loft that weighs 3 lbs 9 ozs. I'm broad shouldered and needed a wide bag but have decided that's more weight than I want to carry. Last week I received an Enlightened Equipment Enigma quilt that weighs 14.4 ozs!! Man, what a difference. Tonight, the temp is expected to dip to 20degrees so will finally get to test it. I've got everything setup in the back yard and will crawl into my tent as soon as Texas A&M vs. Kentucky basketball game is over. So...my question is what are your experiences with a quilt?

saltysack
01-03-2017, 20:08
14.4....my 20* wide long is 21oz....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boshettee
01-03-2017, 20:45
Sorry....fill weight 14.4 ; total weight 19.6
Still....great improvement over the Nemo.

cmoulder
01-03-2017, 20:50
Hmmm... what is the temp rating on that 14.4oz Enigma?

My Enigma long/wide is 22.05oz, my Rev 50 is 11.3 oz and my prodigy 40 is 17.7oz... all 10D inside and out, no weather stripes.

I have a finely tuned winter setup that uses down parka and down pants to augment the Enigma (which is why I got the long/wide one) and I've had it down to -5°F comfortably. I really like the EE elastic strap setup.

edit: just saw your weight revision... what temp rating did you get? What fill? Mine is garden-variety grey duck down, no DownTek. I could imagine higher FP goose weighing a couple ounces less...

Cheyou
01-03-2017, 21:00
Enigma 30° reg short 14.8 900 down. I'm 5'10" side sleeper so the short works well for me

Thom

boshettee
01-03-2017, 21:00
850 fill power, 0 degree.
I've a Sea to Summit Spark SP1 for summer

capehiker
01-03-2017, 22:32
They just redesigned the foot box on the Enigma and it appears to be an ounce lighter as well. Price went up a few bucks.

saltysack
01-03-2017, 23:09
They just redesigned the foot box on the Enigma and it appears to be an ounce lighter as well. Price went up a few bucks.

When? I just bought in September...all 10d no weather strips
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170104/13261b8149fd1efb081fdb25c55afb71.jpg

saltysack
01-03-2017, 23:19
Sorry....fill weight 14.4 ; total weight 19.6
Still....great improvement over the Nemo.

Something not adding up if my new wide/long 20* 10d 850 weighs 21 oz according to EE...http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170104/5b5e3fea5f7489596b7702f2ece7b724.jpg

MuddyWaters
01-03-2017, 23:24
When? I just bought in September...all 10d no weather strips

Tim posted last week it was coming on BPL. Said it would be up on site probably Wed this week.

Who was saying their footbox sucked arse??? More than one.....

Ill wager zpacks follows suit relatively soon.

saltysack
01-03-2017, 23:31
Tim posted last week it was coming on BPL. Said it would be up on site probably Wed this week.

Who was saying their footbox sucked arse??? More than one.....

Ill wager zpacks follows suit relatively soon.

Explains cold toes....

MuddyWaters
01-03-2017, 23:49
Explains cold toes....

Unless you side sleeper, yep.

boshettee
01-04-2017, 10:51
Here's an update...Temp got to 19 degrees and I stayed relatively warm except for the shoulders. I slept in the buff so cocoon or wearing top should solve that. My impression is the quilt is good but with no lower temps than 15 degrees. Toes through to stomach stayed warm but by morning I was starting to get a little uncomfortable.

I miss spoke when providing quilt details. I quoted numbers for wrong size. Mine is actually:
Engima
850 fill..downtek
0 degree
short/wide
17.73 fill weight
23.65 total weight
I also used Enlightened Equipment's Hoodlum Stock...perfect! Head stayed warm.

Apologize for all the confusion but numbers weren't my concern. I was concerned about staying warm.

cmoulder
01-04-2017, 20:53
What sort of sleep mat arrangement were you using?

This is a critical element of your sleep system and an inadequate air mattress or air mattress+CCF pad combo can make the best quilt or sleeping bag seem like a dud. Sleeping bags and quilts often get the blame when somebody sleeps cold, but quite often the problem is what's underneath.

saltysack
01-04-2017, 21:12
Here's an update...Temp got to 19 degrees and I stayed relatively warm except for the shoulders. I slept in the buff so cocoon or wearing top should solve that. My impression is the quilt is good but with no lower temps than 15 degrees. Toes through to stomach stayed warm but by morning I was starting to get a little uncomfortable.

I miss spoke when providing quilt details. I quoted numbers for wrong size. Mine is actually:
Engima
850 fill..downtek
0 degree
short/wide
17.73 fill weight
23.65 total weight
I also used Enlightened Equipment's Hoodlum Stock...perfect! Head stayed warm.

Apologize for all the confusion but numbers weren't my concern. I was concerned about staying warm.

Is yours the new rounded larger foot box?

boshettee
01-04-2017, 21:59
cmoulder...My sleeping pad is the Termarest NeoAir XTherm...quite warm actually. I just couldn't keep my shoulders warm which I think will be an easy fix.

saltysack...The Enigma has the rounded closed foot box.

One big problem, at least for me, is the XTherm slid all over the tent! Tent being Tarpent Double Rainbow. I purchased some Sil Net and hope that will help.
I will give this overnight to dry and tomorrow night will tent in backyard again but with thermals on....expected low is 13 degrees with chance of light snow. Yippee! If I still feel cold will purchase Sea to Summit's Reactor Extreme which I can keep and perhaps not have to have summer bag shipped to me!

saltysack
01-04-2017, 22:05
cmoulder...My sleeping pad is the Termarest NeoAir XTherm...quite warm actually. I just couldn't keep my shoulders warm which I think will be an easy fix.

saltysack...The Enigma has the rounded closed foot box.

One big problem, at least for me, is the XTherm slid all over the tent! Tent being Tarpent Double Rainbow. I purchased some Sil Net and hope that will help.
I will give this overnight to dry and tomorrow night will tent in backyard again but with thermals on....expected low is 13 degrees with chance of light snow. Yippee! If I still feel cold will purchase Sea to Summit's Reactor Extreme which I can keep and perhaps not have to have summer bag shipped to me!

Pls post pic of foot box just curious how it's changed.

capehiker
01-04-2017, 22:26
Pls post pic of foot box just curious how it's changed.

You know you can go to the EE website and see? They have pics up.

saltysack
01-04-2017, 22:32

Looked last night looked same...I'll look again

saltysack
01-04-2017, 22:33

Aahhh up now thx

boshettee
01-06-2017, 14:37
Official temp. last night was 10 degrees with light snow on tent when I crawled out. Wearing thermals provided the warmth I needed to sleep relatively comfortable. Think I will order the Reactor just to ease my mind and play it safe.

The SilNet wasn't very effective; still danced across the floor. Of course rest of gear was in the house so placing that in tent should help.

My really big concern has been this warmth issue using a quilt. I've never used one before. Now I feel more comfortable and I believe I'm ready! Will take a couple 2-3 day hikes for final prep then it's off to Springer for Mar.5 start date. Looking forward to this!!

saltysack
01-06-2017, 18:02
Official temp. last night was 10 degrees with light snow on tent when I crawled out. Wearing thermals provided the warmth I needed to sleep relatively comfortable. Think I will order the Reactor just to ease my mind and play it safe.

The SilNet wasn't very effective; still danced across the floor. Of course rest of gear was in the house so placing that in tent should help.

My really big concern has been this warmth issue using a quilt. I've never used one before. Now I feel more comfortable and I believe I'm ready! Will take a couple 2-3 day hikes for final prep then it's off to Springer for Mar.5 start date. Looking forward to this!!

Save your money on the reactor.....personally it was a pita and better off with down pants or multi use clothing...wasn't for me and didn't notice any real temp gains...just my $.02..

G-FOURce
01-06-2017, 18:22
For about an ounce more in weight, this seems like a better solution. In addition to adding warmth to the quilt it would double as a campsite blanket and possibly a peak-summer option.

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Bag/Syntheticliner

If the EE quilt doesnt have loops, you could always order the cuben stick-on loops from ZPacks and stick 'em where they need to go.

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/tape.shtml