PDA

View Full Version : March Section Hike

BrianOH72
01-04-2017, 14:46
I would like to spend around 10 to 14 days section hiking on the AT in early March and would like some input. I live in Ohio so I would like to start somewhere North of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park around the I40 area. I usually section hike in the warmer months and would like some input as far as what to expect for weather conditions as well as water supplies. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Lone Wolf
01-04-2017, 14:54
be prepared for snow and cold

Cookerhiker
01-04-2017, 21:17
I would start at Duncannon and hike south. It's 125 miles to Harpers Ferry, probably one of the easiest 125-mile contiguous stretch of the entire AT. Depending on your pace, it's another 54 miles to US 522 outside Front Royal, a logical stopping point.

There are two advantages for this stretch in early March: (1) the elevations are lower and thus temperatures are not as cold as in the higher elevations further south, and (2) there are plenty of bail-out points should the weather turn nasty or if you have an emergency.

Not all hiker facilities (hostels, etc.) will be open, so purchase a 2017 ALDHA (http://www.aldha.org/) Companion (http://appalachian-trail-conservancy.mybigcommerce.com/planning/appalachian-trail-thru-hikers-companion-2017/) and study it for this section.

As Lone Wolf says, you could have cold weather and snow but if that's your time schedule, go for it!

BrianOH72
01-09-2017, 08:42
Thanks for the input!

Slo-go'en
01-09-2017, 13:37
With the wild gyrations in the weather and temperatures this season, hard to predict what will happen in March. Just remember, March comes in like a lion and we've seen some really nasty storms this year.

Turk6177
01-09-2017, 15:01
A good starting point would be Standing Bear Farm if you want to be pretty close to I-40. From there I think Erwin is roughly 30+ miles. You could probably resupply there and determine how much further you can go based on time and pace. Have an awesome trip!

The Cleaner
01-09-2017, 15:20
Hot Springs is 30+ miles and Erwin is about 60 miles from there.We get some wicked snowstorms in early March.Here's some pics from 3-22 a few years ago.378323783337834

josh_ATL
01-09-2017, 22:49
Hot Springs >>>> Watauga Lake! Awesome section, even in Winter. You go through a few Alpine sections and some beautiful balds! Highly recommend this hike to anyone. I just did it for the second time this year. Started at the end of November and finished mid-December with a friend who drove down from Cleveland. He said it only took him 7/8 hours to get there.

K2 Travels
01-10-2017, 11:34
Just make sure to pack your cold weather clothes. You should have a good time regardless.

FiftyNine
01-10-2017, 15:46
I was thinking about doing two nights just south of Harpers ferry (Snickers Gap) going into HF one weekend in March just to check out a few last minute items. I'm not thinking of a long hike (20 to 25 miles at the most) - since I'm doing a flip flop starting north from HF in mid April, can that very small trip count as part of the hike and start the SOBO portion skipping that small section I do in March?

Tinker
01-10-2017, 16:34
Don't forget the crampons!

Slo-go'en
01-11-2017, 03:30
I was thinking about doing two nights just south of Harpers ferry (Snickers Gap) going into HF one weekend in March just to check out a few last minute items. I'm not thinking of a long hike (20 to 25 miles at the most) - since I'm doing a flip flop starting north from HF in mid April, can that very small trip count as part of the hike and start the SOBO portion skipping that small section I do in March?

sure, why not?

Cookerhiker
01-11-2017, 19:36

Of course it does. Have a great hike!