PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Boot Repair

TheBeeMan
01-05-2017, 00:05
Any recommendations for a boot repair shop preferably in the Southeast? I have a pair of Salomon GTX hiking boots that I purchased in 2012. They are out of warranty but still in good shape except for one of the grommets holding the boot laces that came out during my last AT section hike. Live in a rural area and don't know of any reputable, local shoe repair shops. Thanks for any input.

Venchka
01-05-2017, 00:23
I'm in a similar neighborhood in Texas. The local cleaners has a sign in their window for a shoe repair shop. Drop off and pick up at the cleaners. Worth looking or calling around.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScareBear
01-05-2017, 01:33
Any recommendations for a boot repair shop preferably in the Southeast? I have a pair of Salomon GTX hiking boots that I purchased in 2012. They are out of warranty but still in good shape except for one of the grommets holding the boot laces that came out during my last AT section hike. Live in a rural area and don't know of any reputable, local shoe repair shops. Thanks for any input.
Where in the Southeast? Did you call Salomon and ask for a referral?

HooKooDooKu
01-05-2017, 02:30
You might try any local Salomon Authorized Retailer. They might be able (for a fee) to send them to Salomon for repairs.

rafe
01-05-2017, 08:50
Grommet repair ought to be pretty straightforward.

Unfortunately shoe repair shops have been dying out. A large shopping mall near me had one until a few years ago. Alas, it was replaced with a Dunkin Donuts. As if the world had too many shoe repair shops and not enough Dunkin Donuts. Grrrr!

MuddyWaters
01-05-2017, 08:56
dont sewing shops have eylet kits

Ive put grommets etc in things myself. this kind of kit

https://www.amazon.com/Lord-Hodge-1073A-0-Grommet-Kits/dp/B00004Y68Y/ref=lp_16409771_1_7?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1483621073&sr=1-7

Traveler
01-05-2017, 11:07
If you can't find a local cobbler, Dave Page Cobbler in Seattle is probably one of if not the best in the business. Worth every penny, though for a grommet fix I would think there would be a leather working shop or shoe repair places near by.

ScareBear
01-05-2017, 11:33
If you can't find a local cobbler, Dave Page Cobbler in Seattle is probably one of if not the best in the business. Worth every penny, though for a grommet fix I would think there would be a leather working shop or shoe repair places near by.

If no cobbler near you, try a saddlery repair place...

Greenlight
01-05-2017, 16:38
There are several online cobblers who do excellent work and return your footwear within a couple of weeks, if there is nobody geographically near you.

TheBeeMan
01-05-2017, 21:32
Thanks, Venchka! I'll check that out.

TheBeeMan
01-05-2017, 21:37
Where in the Southeast? Did you call Salomon and ask for a referral?

I'm in West Tennessee. Purchased these at an REI in Greenville, SC where my daughters live. Customer service at Salomon suggested a shop in the Northwest via email but I would prefer a shop a bit closer to me to reduce shipping cost. Thanks for the input!

TheBeeMan
01-05-2017, 21:40
You might try any local Salomon Authorized Retailer. They might be able (for a fee) to send them to Salomon for repairs.
Thanks HooKooDooKu...may ask my son-in-law to go to the REI where I purchased these in SC and see if they can help.

ScareBear
01-05-2017, 22:01
Couldn't hurt to try REI...

I found a cobbler near you...or I think near you...Bartlett Shoe Repair, Bartlett, TN. Gets good reviews for repairs...but...I have no personal experience and thus...YMMV!!!!!

TheBeeMan
01-05-2017, 22:09
Thanks MuddyWaters...sounds like you're much more ambitious than I am. Never got the hang of sewing. I'll check the kits out and see if it may be something I can attempt. Appreciate the link.

TheBeeMan
01-05-2017, 22:15
Great, Bartlett isn't far away. Thanks so much!

TheBeeMan
01-05-2017, 22:22

Traveler...I think the cobbler you mentioned was who Salomon suggested. I was hoping for something closer to home. ScareBear found a place close to me so will check that out tomorrow. Thanks for input.

TheBeeMan
01-05-2017, 22:28
There are several online cobblers who do excellent work and return your footwear within a couple of weeks, if there is nobody geographically near you.

Greenlight, have you used any of these cobblers? If so, do you have a recommendation if ScareBear's find in Bartlett TN doesn't pan out? Thanks much!

TheBeeMan
01-05-2017, 23:26

Here's a picture of the boot needing repair

MtDoraDave
01-14-2017, 06:29
This won't be helpful to the OP, but I met a guy on the trail who had been using Shoo Goo to keep his delaminating Keen's in service. When the tread starts to separate from the boot, Shoo Goo will keep it going for a while longer.

Leo L.
01-14-2017, 07:19
Being a allround skilled guy, I would drill a small hole through the loose grommet to free it of the rivet, then losen the seam a bit (assuming that the rivet doesn't go through all layers - and if it would, it would kill your socks and skin) to place a new rivet in. And as now the hole in the leather is a bit worn out, I'd place a washer between the leather and the inner part of the rivet, otherwise the new rivet might slip out of the hole tooe easily.

The most primitive field repair would be, to place a loop of sturdy cooper wire through the hole in the leather. Doesn't look nice, but might last until the end of life for the shoes.

MuddyWaters
01-14-2017, 07:49
Well, thats not esxactly a grommet.
Its a custom metal eyelet thats riveted on, and rivet pulled thru

Probably need to remove old rivet, and peen new one in place with washer backup.

Solomon might send you a new pair. Worth try.

I got boots replaced by Rocky once when soles failed out of warranty.

Lots of ways to permanenbtly fix, that just look bad. Wide variety of rivet products out there you can buy. Looks like gunmetal.