PDA

View Full Version : UL reflective guy lines....any recommendations?

saltysack
01-05-2017, 21:34
Just got my new cuben MLD duomid....haven't had time to set it up yet but a little surprised that came with a sil nylon stuff sack and heavy fairly thick guy line material. Not a big deal as want reflective lines like my LHG solong6 has...handy at night when ya gotta go...figured it's a cuben shelter so why not a matching cuben stuff sack? I will probably use a plastic grocery bag anyway as like the ability to manipulate a flatter shape in my pack verses the oblong shape. Any guy line recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MuddyWaters
01-05-2017, 22:01
Lawson has his glowire specially made. Never used it

I like zpacks zline personally, not reflective

saltysack
01-05-2017, 22:05
Lawson has his glowire specially made. Never used it

I like zpacks zline personally, not reflective

Thx I like the zline also..use it with their food bag....as little as I hang I should just cut up my bear bag line....food for thought...

gbolt
01-05-2017, 22:39
Dutch out of Penn. is big in hammocks, Tarps and on Hammockforums.net. However, CF Tents and CF Tarps are very similar. He sells Lawson Glowire and Reflect-It. Some pre cut with or without hardware. I would suggest you look at his website because much of Zpack - MLD and other Ultra Light products can be supplemented, enhanced, or simplified by Dutch and his products. http://www.dutchwaregear.com

ScareBear
01-05-2017, 22:41
Get the 2mm...

http://lawsonequipment.com/Reflective-Glowire-Cord-c152/

Hosh
01-06-2017, 00:17
Get the 2mm...

http://lawsonequipment.com/Reflective-Glowire-Cord-c152/
Ditto, very reflective, light weight, tough with minimal stretch. I replace all my BA CS UL tents with it. Works well with micro tension hardware.

G-FOURce
01-06-2017, 00:30
Lawson Equipment is great because they never charge shipping on any orders.

I just grabbed some of this to try bc the price was good. If nothing else it should make for a decent bear-bag line.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01IHRAX7M/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(The 50' piece I received weighs 1.1oz on my kitchen scale)

G-FOURce
01-06-2017, 00:33
Lawson Equipment is great because they never charge shipping on any orders.

I just grabbed some of this to try bc the price was good. If nothing else it should make for a decent bear-bag line.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01IHRAX7M/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(The 50' piece I received weighs 1.1oz on my kitchen scale)

My mistake - the length is 65', not 50'. Even better!

Dogwood
01-06-2017, 00:59
Not reflective but visible and yet stealthy enough for me Zpacks Dyneema Z-line 2.0mm in yellow. Some situations I use the 1.25 mm. Not big on having long guy lines or ties outs all over the place.

G-FOURce
01-06-2017, 01:14
Not reflective but visible and yet stealthy enough for me Zpacks Dyneema Z-line 2.0mm in yellow. Some situations I use the 1.25 mm. Not big on having long guy lines or ties outs all over the place.

The 1.25mm yellow Z-line with Micro LineLocs is what I use for guy lines on my Hexamid and my Fly Creek HV UL1. I also use it to suspend the mesh on my Bristlecone bivy and for cinching cord on the stuff sacks I make from Tyvek 1443E. I love that cord.

Time Zone
01-06-2017, 12:20

Another option is blaze orange 325 paracord (thinner than the 550 - close to 2mm I think). Still fairly visible in dim light, and avoids issues that sometimes affect reflective cord (such as slipping). Cheap and widely available, too!

burger
01-06-2017, 12:25
I've been using the Lawson Glowire for years. It holds knots really well, has never failed on me, and shows up really well with your headlamp.

MuddyWaters
01-06-2017, 13:44
The 1.25mm yellow Z-line with Micro LineLocs is what I use for guy lines on my Hexamid and my Fly Creek HV UL1. I also use it to suspend the mesh on my Bristlecone bivy and for cinching cord on the stuff sacks I make from Tyvek 1443E. I love that cord.

Exactly what I use
It frays bad against rocks, I mean it can shred literally in high winds if touches rock.

I like the stiffness , no tangle, loops are loops, just easy to use.

Huli
01-06-2017, 15:29
I have the ones from dutch and the nite-ize. The ones from dutch slide better through the tensioners but the nite-ize are more reflective and tangle less.

Sandy of PA
01-06-2017, 18:07
The sil-nylon stuff sack is much easier to get the tent into and out of when damp. Will also take much more abrasion while protecting your tent in the pack. My experience has shown that Cuben does not make the best stuff sack unless you are using the 1.43 ozs. version.

jimmyjam
01-06-2017, 18:09
Another vote for the line Lawson sells.

G-FOURce
01-06-2017, 18:15
Exactly what I use
It frays bad against rocks, I mean it can shred literally in high winds if touches rock.

I like the stiffness , no tangle, loops are loops, just easy to use.

Yeah, I have noticed that as well. No magic bullets with gear... gotta take the bad with the good.

saltysack
01-06-2017, 20:04
Thx all...I ordered Lawson's but might try the zline also

poolskaterx
01-08-2017, 22:41
I really like the z-line.

I have used the reflective stuff but it is heavier and it seems to not like going through my micro-line locks.. breaks the reflective stuff in the line.