PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Goals

One Half
01-05-2017, 22:48
What are yours for the year?

After a number of years with bare minimal day hikes I have set the following goals for myself this year.

Not really into "New Years Resolutions" but I have been mulling these resolutions for a while.

To resolve to do something is defined as deciding firmly on a course of action.

With this in mind I have resolved the following:

I have resolved to walk/hike/backpack 1000 miles this year.

Some caveats: These must be intentional walks etc. Not counting steps with a device to add up my miles by walking around doing my regular stuff. These are intentional walks/hikes/backpacks. I walk to my chiro every week as it is, that's 5.6 miles. If I want to walk to go to the store or the bank, these all count. Also hikes at the local nature preserves etc. And then obviously backpacking trips count.

Minimum of 20 miles per week. Ah, but that would be 1040 miles. Nope, I get 2 weeks "off" in case of injury, travel etc. I may not use these 2 weeks off but they are there if I need them. Must walk/hike/backpack 5 days per week or more or it doesn't count. That way I can't slack all week and then just bust it out on the weekend.

The idea is to have consistency.

I also have planned a 30 day backpacking trip on the AT. There's so much that could go wrong with this length of trip that we will see if I can do the whole 30. My resolve is to backpack 52 days this year. Backpacking in my mind is carrying everything you need with you, in a backpack, with the intention of staying out overnight. A 2 day 1 night trip counts as 2 days so long as the second day is an adequately long hike. So no hiking out 9 miles, camping and then hiking 1 mile to a pick up point. That would be 1 day of backpacking. Not sure what the cutoff will be but I'm sure I will figure it out. And yes, if there are 30 days on the AT, those all count unless I slackpack or zero. Dayhikes do not count as backpacking days.

Those are some of my resolutions.

What are yours?

StubbleJumper
01-05-2017, 23:53
I always figure that a decent summer is 1,000+ miles on trails and 30+ bag-nights. I hit the bag-nights in 2016, but probably came short by about 100 miles or so on the distance. My summer in 2015 was an utter disaster and I doubt that I made 250 miles on trails. In 2014, I made the 30 bag-nights, and I would have been close to the 1,000 miles.

So, here's hoping for an excellent 2017!

map man
01-06-2017, 00:08
1) Damascus to Bland on the AT in May.

2) Collegiate Loop on the Colorado Trail in August.

shelb
01-06-2017, 00:30
(1)Yearly Goal: 2017 miles total running/walking/hiking... (yes, I have been working on those miles already!)
(2)June Goal: Radner 200 miler - relay with 12 people...
(3)June(mid)-July (early) Goal: 200+ miles on A.T. (in one continuous two week hike - since I live over 12 hours from the (4)nearest segment... not sure if I will go north from Clingman's Dome, where I left off last year or north from the NJ/NY border, where I left off in 2015... )
(5)July (mid): 1/2 Marathon Trail Run
(6)August: Triathalon
(7)September: SOMETHING! ?Maybe another Radner Relay? - or there is a 1/2 Marathon that starts one mile from my house....
(8)October-November-December: Must make sure to keep active and not "rest"... active could even be walking/running on treadmill short distances...but enough to make sure I hit my 2017 miles this year! _

shelb
01-06-2017, 00:35
(1)Yearly Goal: 2017 miles total running/walking/hiking... (yes, I have been working on those miles already!)
(2) May - Take youth group backpacking - 23 mile loop on NCT/MRT
(3)June Goal: Radner 200 miler - relay with 12 people...
(4)June(mid)-July (early) Goal: 200+ miles on A.T. (in one continuous two week hike - since I live over 12 hours from the nearest segment... not sure if I will go north from Clingman's Dome, where I left off last year or north from the NJ/NY border, where I left off in 2015... )
(5)July (mid): 1/2 Marathon Trail Run
(6) August: Take Youth Group backpacking Nordhouse Dunes - 18 miles
(7) August: Triathalon
(8) September: SOMETHING! ?Maybe another Radner Relay?
(9) October-November-December: Must make sure to keep active and not "rest"... active could even be walking/running on treadmill short distances...

Feral Bill
01-06-2017, 00:37
Goal: 400 miles MOL in NY and New England on the AT this fall. Just ambling along, enjoying.

Dogwood
01-06-2017, 00:45
1/2 the PNWT
Thru of the Big Foot Tr.
420 miles of the California Coastal Tr including Lost Coast Tr section
Bailey Range Traverse
Kings Canyon High Route
Pecos Wilderness

First five will all be done on one west coast multi legged trip.

Toying with some other filler stuff as work allows in Medicine Bow, Unitas, Superstitions, Arizona Tr, Ozark Highlands Tr, Great Basin NP in NV, and will ultimately at some pt spend at least 10 days each at Grand Canyon NP and Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument and another 10 days at Hawaii Volcanoes NP and at least a week at Great Smoky Mountains NP. Prolly on a whim do the Ala Kahaki National Historical Tr again also on the Big I and an extended Georgia Loop 7 day starting at the Arkaquah TH ascending Brasstown Bald to the AT SOBO.

kyhipo
01-06-2017, 11:58
1/2 the PNWT
Thru of the Big Foot Tr.
Bailey Range Traverse
Kings Canyon High Route
Pecos Wilderness

Toying with some other filler stuff as work allows in Medicine Bow, Unitas, Superstitions, Arizona Tr, Ozark Highlands Tr, Great Basin NP in NV, and will ultimately at some pt spend at least 10 days each at Grand Canyon NP and Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument and another 10 days at Hawaii Volcanoes NP and at least a week at Great Smoky Mountains NP. Prolly on a whim do the Ala Kahaki National Historical Tr again also on the Big I and an extended Georgia Loop 7 day starting at the Arkaquah TH ascending Brasstown Bald to the AT SOBO.kings caynon was nice!

Bronk
01-06-2017, 12:28
Last August I decided to try and do 500 miles over the course of the following year. So far I've done about 154 miles.

2EZ
01-06-2017, 12:31
To complete an AT thru hike, taking each climb, mile, day, and experience as they come, and appreciate the good fortune that has allowed me this opportunity.

Maineiac64
01-06-2017, 12:33
Hike and camp with my 18 and 22 year old daughters.

Another Kevin
01-06-2017, 14:21
My goal: get back Out There regularly. I've lost way too much hiking time over the last year and a half because of physical woes.

illabelle
01-06-2017, 14:35
Springtime weekend hikes on AT in SW Virginia.
Finish AT in Mass and Connecticut in May.
Complete another weeklong section in Maine in late summer.
Fall weekend hikes on AT in central VA.
Roughly 250 AT miles for 2017.

Engine
01-06-2017, 17:18
Successfully get from Springer on March 8th to Katahdin by early September. :banana The culmination of many years of dreaming about it...2017 is finally here!

One Half
01-06-2017, 23:56
1/2 the PNWT
Thru of the Big Foot Tr.
Bailey Range Traverse
Kings Canyon High Route
Pecos Wilderness

Toying with some other filler stuff as work allows in Medicine Bow, Unitas, Superstitions, Arizona Tr, Ozark Highlands Tr, Great Basin NP in NV, and will ultimately at some pt spend at least 10 days each at Grand Canyon NP and Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument and another 10 days at Hawaii Volcanoes NP and at least a week at Great Smoky Mountains NP. Prolly on a whim do the Ala Kahaki National Historical Tr again also on the Big I and an extended Georgia Loop 7 day starting at the Arkaquah TH ascending Brasstown Bald to the AT SOBO.

Thats quite a bit of hiking! Wish I could get away to do all that.

Feral Bill
01-07-2017, 02:35
Hike and camp with my 18 and 22 year old daughters.
Excellent goal.

steve_zavocki
01-07-2017, 08:48
Reach 500 AT miles by the end of 2017. Currently I have 221. I have six trips planned, but only one is longer than two hiking days. It is hard with kids, a job, and 7 hrs from the trail.

MuddyWaters
01-07-2017, 09:22
Decent 2week ish hike with son before he goes away to college. Not sure where yet.

Rest of hiking will be piecemeal fitting short trips in seems this yr

Usually try for about 4 weeks per yr.

Right now l have 32 vac days for this yr. And 25 flex fridays, working 9/80, so i can wrangle 7- 8 weeks off in blocks undr right circumstances but some are earmarked

Cheyou
01-07-2017, 09:48
northville placid trail . 2 weeks on the AT north of NY . 2 weeks north of Roanok on AT. Hike all local trails

thom

runt13
01-07-2017, 11:06
2017, as many day hikes as I can. With the FLT only a few miles from my cabin I am sure they will mostly be up there.

My first official section hike of the AT, NJ section starting at DWG heading north, this September / October. With my 70 year old uncle, who did all of VA last year.

RUNT ''13''

LongBlaze2019
01-08-2017, 13:49
This year I plan to thru hike the Buckeye Trail again plus several other trips that range from 1 to 4 days on various trails throughout Ohio and Northern West Virginia.

Sent from my N9519 using Tapatalk

Porkroll
01-16-2017, 16:23
My goal is to just get out there! Anywhere! And while I'm doing that, I will try to introduce my wife to backpacking. She is good with the day hikes, now we have to work up to the overnights. My long term goal is an AT thru hike, and hopefully, my wife will be able to accompany me!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tiptoe
01-16-2017, 16:30
I don't make resolutions, hiking or otherwise, but if I did, I'd make these:
complete my AT section hiking, begun in 2006, by hiking Caratunk to Katahdin
take my granddaughter on a short backpacking trip, destination tbd

Gambit McCrae
01-16-2017, 16:35
To be complete with the AT From i90Mass south to Springer.
Got about 400 miles to do.
Plus re-hiking springer to Erwin. (10-35 mile trips).

Moosling
01-16-2017, 17:09
I've got little kids at home right now, so I'm going to be limited to short trips. My 2 year old is nearly potty training though so I'm planning on taking him one some weekend trips to introduce him to backpacking, we've already talked about it a little he's pretty excited for right now. So we will see.