PDA

View Full Version : Deep Gap to Winding Stairs

JZS50
01-06-2017, 08:01
If we make this a 2 day hike, doable? Or pushing too hard and better to make it 3? I know some out there have done it in 1 day by noon, looking for more of the average hiker. :)

Thanks!!!

daddytwosticks
01-06-2017, 08:08
I'm sure it's doable, but not for me. This is a beautiful section and I tend to slow down and smell the roses. Good luck with your hike. :)

MuddyWaters
01-06-2017, 08:16
25 miles in 2 days would be easy for most recreational hikers, even if it means longer hours than want.

2.5 days would be more appropriate for lesser shape or heavy pack

Difference between 10 and 12 mile day...is about 1 -1.5 hrs, thats all.

3 days would be quite slow

If you got to ask, cant go wrong planning 3. Might finish a few hrs early on last day with a few snacks left is all.

ScareBear
01-06-2017, 09:43
Depends on your fitness level. Two days/one night is pushing a bit for an average person who hasn't done a 10 mile hike in hilly terrain in a while. I don't know what an "average" hiker is...so maybe you are talking about a 5 mile twice a week flat hike on paved trails?

Anyway, it has some elevation and it is slow going in the rain. If you haven't done 25 miles in hills in two days consecutive EVER, then it is likely going to be a bit ambitious.

I would agree with Muddy that you can just plan on 3, especially if you are hiking back to your vehicle. 2 days would be what a backpacker who routinely does 10 mile day hikes could get it done in with minimal discomfort...
YMMV, HYOH

JZS50
01-06-2017, 10:56
Great Answers guys, thanks for that!!! I'll probably be a 2.5 dayer then.

Tundracamper
01-08-2017, 10:10
I left Deep Gap at around 11 am on a Friday. Stopped to spend the night about a mile north of Carter Gap. Left the site by 8:30 am or so and took my time climbing Albert Mtn. Spent about 45 minutes resting there. Then stopped again for water at Long Branch Shelter and also had lunch there. Stopped for about an hour on the top of the mountain near Rocky Cove Knob. Then, hiked the last two miles and arrived at Winding Stair around 6 pm on Saturday. If you have two full days and hike at a decent pace, I think it would be easy to hike in two days/one night. I had originally planned on two nights, but that turned out to be too much. After Albert Mtn, there is only one steep grade.

Whack-a-mole
01-10-2017, 21:00
Keep in mind that it's winter, and your pack will be a little heavier, and the days are a little shorter.....

liteweight
01-10-2017, 23:15
Deep Gap to Carter Gap 1st night. Carter gap to Winding Stair Gap the second day. Carter Gap to WSG wasn't a bad hike, just long. Y'all be tired at the end of that trip:)

steve_zavocki
01-11-2017, 09:45
I would say this section is on the easier side. As a point of reference, in October my wife and I hiked from Deep Gap to Rock Gap parking in 9 hours which is 20.8 miles. We could have made it to WSG if we really had to in one day in the summer. We are in our 40's. I would plan two or go all the way to Wayah bald in three.