PDA

View Full Version : zpacks bottle holder

Maineiac64
01-06-2017, 12:27
I saw that zpacks sells a bottle holder designed to attach to your shoulder straps, holding a bottle of water there for easy access. I typically drink from water bladder but also like to have option for grabbing a bottle. My pack's access to the bottle pocket is a PITA, can't quite reach it and get it back in very easily. It seems like the zpacks idea is good but I worry that it would be bouncing a lot and be annoying? Any experiences with this would be appreciated.

devoidapop
01-06-2017, 12:38
I have a similar bottle holder I found on amazon. I use a small velcro strap to keep the bottom of the bottle from bouncing with my steps.

Odd Man Out
01-06-2017, 13:16
I went to the fabric store and bought a few feet of very thin bungee cord (cost was maybe 1$?). I cut off 4 short pieces and tied loops on my pack straps - two on each side. They loop under the strap (but not the pad), positioned so one is on the front of the top of my shoulder and the other is a few inches lower, in front of my arm pit. I tighten the loops so they wrap snugly around a 24 oz Gatorade bottle (cost was zero from the recycling dumpster). These bottles are nice because they have a fairly wide mouth (easy to refill from the filter), a nice drinking spout that twists shut, and deep groves that the bungees wrap around to hold the bottle in place when hiking. I tried keeping bottles in the pack side pockets, but they are hard to reach and they slosh a lot while hiking. I can feel the weight bouncing around with my hips. I also tried hip mounted holsters but they also sloshed a lot and interfered with my arm swing. Carrying water high on the shoulder pads does not slosh much at all and does not interfere with arm motion. I also think having water in the front helps to move your center of gravity more forward which makes carrying the load easier. At first I had bottles fall off when I made a big jump down from a rock, but tightening the bungees fixed that (they are just tied with a square knot). Was worried the bungees would wear out quickly, but have been using the same loops now for three summer hikes. I can pull a bottle out for drinking with one hand, but it take two to put it back. The only real down side for me is that you have to take your bottles off before you take off your pack and replace them after you put your pack back on. It's possible to take the pack on and off with the bottles attached, but they fall off more times than not.

Angle
01-06-2017, 13:48
I have an Arc Zip backpack and have one on each shoulder strap. I carry a bottle of water in the one and snacks in the other one. I have no problems with the bottle bouncing. You can't really but anything in the mesh pocket when you have a bottle in it. Iceman

Engine
01-06-2017, 17:22
I have the Zpacks bottle holder on my Arc Haul and I'm not a fan. It's either too low or too high it seems. At the top of the strap it's just off from my chin and drives me nuts, and if I lower it to a point that no longer bothers me in that fashion, the bottom of the bottle if riding half under my arm. I'm 6'0" and around 190 pounds with a long torso...

English Stu
01-10-2017, 11:26
I have the ArcBlast and have the holders on each strap and find them ok. I keep a 500ml bottle in one and small ocular in the other.

K2 Travels
01-10-2017, 11:31
I was not a fan.

rhjanes
01-10-2017, 15:37
I use an Aqua-Clip to attach the Smart Water bottles to my shoulder straps. I added a small loop of shock cord lower on the shoulder strap to stop any swaying or bouncing. Works well.

jjozgrunt
01-10-2017, 16:06
I use an Aqua-Clip to attach the Smart Water bottles to my shoulder straps. I added a small loop of shock cord lower on the shoulder strap to stop any swaying or bouncing. Works well.

I use a similar product off amazon with the shock cord at the bottom. Very easy to remove and replace. I'm thinking of cutting down a source water tube to make it even easier.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FHHKRJY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://sourceoutdoor.com/en/bottles/22-convertube-hydration-system

Engine
01-10-2017, 16:51
This thread got me thinking about the issues I have with the bottle holder on the shoulder strap. Yesterday we solved the problem by sewing a piece of 1/2" wide grosgrain vertically to the back of the bottle holder. By leaving a 3 7/8" gap between sewing points, it fits perfectly over the hip belt on the Arc Haul and now we have a bottle holder on the hip belt where we can reach it.

I did have two waist belt pouches, but by moving one to the side of the pack just above the bottom pocket, I can still carry those items in a readily accessible location and have room for the bottle holder on the belt.

Tinker
01-10-2017, 17:09
My bottle holder slides up and down the lower part of my shoulder strap. it sits on top of the hip belt when I'm hiking, and I slide it up to access the bottle. An Outdoor research insulated holder works, but I've been using a large padded 35mm lens case for years. I also use basic nylon holders when I'm trying to save weight in warmer months. I'm sure there are pics in my gallery, as well as a home made bungee and Gatorade bottle shoulder system I tried for a while.

TexasBob
01-11-2017, 15:14

This works great. You can use a zip tie to create a loop to hang the Aqua Clip on your shoulder strap if you need to.