PDA

View Full Version : Winter Shoes

DanTaylor
01-06-2017, 20:59
Do you guys wear the same shoe for winter as summer? Do you prefer boots over shoes in the winter?

Sarcasm the elf
01-06-2017, 21:03
In the summer I use lightweight mesh trail runners, currently LaSportiva Wildcats.

If below freezing conditions are expected I switch to a pair of leather and Goretex Scarpa hiking boots.

nsherry61
01-06-2017, 23:27
I wear trail runners year round, hiking, snowshoeing, mountain climbing (NE Mountain Climbing that is), sometimes GTX, sometimes not. If not GTX, I use a plastic bag and sock system that works fairly well. Of course, I wear my ski boots when I'm skiing.

rafe
01-07-2017, 00:24
No. I wear Sorrels for winter hiking. Can't imagine wearing low cut fabric boots in the White Mountains in winter.

Mags
01-07-2017, 00:36
My winter shoes get attached to planks ...

Bonus: The planks sometimes double as tent stakes...

Traveler
01-07-2017, 06:57
I tend to use low shoes (trail shoes or runners) in warm weather trail walking, but switch over to leather Asolo 520 boots in winter or when bushwhacking.

cmoulder
01-07-2017, 08:48
Short answer: Vasque Snowblimes with OR Endurance gaiters, and microspikes as necessary

Longer: I tried to come up with a system built around trail runners and various sock layers with Forty Below overboots or covers, etc... in the final analysis it weighs about as much as the Snowblimes and is a lot more hassle

However, if it is just cold and there's little to no snow on the ground, I have happily used some GTX trail runners (both Merrell All Out Peak and Brooks Cascadia) with OR Wrapid gaiters. I used the Cascadias recently with Kahtoola microspikes and this was for me a fantastic combo.

In the winter, if there's any chance the footwear is going to get seriously wet from either rain or snow melt on the uppers, I'll choose the boots every time. I realize there are people who snowshoe with trail runner setups, but that's not for me.

Sarcasm the elf
01-07-2017, 10:36
My winter shoes get attached to planks ...

Bonus: The planks sometimes double as tent stakes...

Couldn't you save weight by instead using your tent stakes as planks?:D

Huli
01-07-2017, 10:42
Just get a pair of seal skinz socks and wear the same shoe. As long as your tread is good 😋

These are the new version of what I have. https://www.sealskinz.com/UK/socks

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

cmoulder
01-07-2017, 10:59
Just get a pair of seal skinz socks and wear the same shoe. As long as your tread is good 

These are the new version of what I have. https://www.sealskinz.com/UK/socks

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Just keep in mind that when you start layering up on your feet you will likely have to size up shoes as well. Not only are tight-fitting shoes uncomfortable, but the compression of layers makes them much colder both by destroying the insulating capabilities of the layers and by reducing blood flow to the feet. There's no free lunch. :o

Obiwan
01-08-2017, 10:01
Couldn't you save weight by instead using your tent stakes as planks?:D

If he were VERY small

eblanche
01-09-2017, 09:38
Trail runners with rocky gore-tex socks for me this year and last for winter. Sized up for accommodating warmer sock system when necessary. Trail runners w/o goretex socks for non-snow/three-season. Depending on the shoe, it works well enough. Microspikes need a shoe with a stiffer upper, i've found otherwise they collapse the toebox.

This winter I'm actually trying out a pair of studded trail runners, inov8 arcticclaw 300.

cmoulder
01-09-2017, 10:38
... I'm actually trying out a pair of studded trail runners, inov8 arcticclaw 300.

OOhhh I like those! :-?

nsherry61
01-09-2017, 11:10
. . . inov8 arcticclaw 300.
Dang! They don't make them in my size!

dcdennis
01-09-2017, 11:24
New Blance Minimus year round.

cmoulder
01-10-2017, 09:41
Dang! They don't make them in my size!

They've got 'em in my size but boy-oh-boy they're waayyyy spendy!:eek:

Tinker
01-10-2017, 17:53
I experimented with Asics trail runners, Sealskinz socks, and full-on 8 point strap-style crampons on a trip in Harriman park on NY a few years ago. the straps compressed the socks & my feet got cold below 10 degrees, but I managed, as long as I kept moving (and put on my down booties in camp). I even broke through thin ice into ankle deep water & only felt cold for about 5 min. For an overnighter, in those conditions, for me, it was doable. For a longer outing, I would rather have waterproof, insulated, ankle high light boots. right now I am window shopping, but haven't found "the right one".

HamSandwich
01-10-2017, 19:00
They've got 'em in my size but boy-oh-boy they're waayyyy spendy!:eek:

Icebug makes a number of awesome dobbed (spiked) and convertible shoes and boots:

http://icebug.com/us/products/

Also pricey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk