PDA

View Full Version : Hexamid vs Solomid

fastfoxengineering
01-07-2017, 01:45
I'm really at looking into one of these tarps for my ground setup. I would get either in cuben. I would opt for the hexamid in .74oz as well.

The solomid deffinetly seems more bomber. The hexamid is slightly lighter with no zipper to break. I also assume it provides better ventilation. However, in a horrible storm. The solomid seems like it would perform better. Especially if camping on a bald.

Now, I'm looking for that do it all ground tarp. From the east coast to the west coast and everything in between.

I haven't decided on my bug protection yet. However it will be some sort of net tent or bug bivvy that I can use without the tarp.

I carry leki trekking poles.

Does anyone have any input on comparing these two shelters.

Downsides to each.

I'm fairly new to tarping. I have a 7x9 flat tarp I played with a bunch last summer and enjoyed it but i am deffinetly a shaped tarp person. Just a more efficient design albeit less pitching options. I'm okay with that.

I have also been a hammock hanger for quite some time and have used a wilderness logics tadpole and hammock gear cuben tarp with doors.

Until the bugs come around I'll be using a polycryo ground sheet.

Im leaning towards the solomid. Seems bomber. Slightly easier to setup, more storm worthy, and a proven design. Not that the heaxmid isn't proven. But in harsher conditions, the solomid has done well.

Any input to my fellow tarp users.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

MuddyWaters
01-07-2017, 04:58
You pretty much nailed it.

Mid is more bomber, easier setup, better protection
On small shelter like solomid , using the double pole extender strengthens and reduces sidewall deflection from wind , preserving room inside. But this adds weight. I think the solomid in this config is one of the strongest mid shelters supposedly. I have no experience wit it however.

Hex is lighter, more ventillated. Ive epent a lot of nights in hex. Site selection is important in stormy conditions

fastfoxengineering
01-07-2017, 14:54
I know weight can sometimes be paramount, but would you choose a solomid over a hexamid if given the option today?

In .74 cuben, the hexamid with storm doors is only running an ounce or so lighter than the solomid.

Also, are the solomids sewn and taped or only bonded at the seams. I have talked to some people that have thousands of miles on their hexamids. Their only complaint in maintenance wise is the seams began to leak and needed to be retaped. This was after heavy, heavy use though. Thousands of miles.

They all said they would rather have bonded seams rather than sewn and taped.

I'm leaning towards the solomid. Sometimes and extra ounce or two for really great weather protection is a really nice commodity. Especially when your living out of the thing.

Furthermore, I know you can shave some weight off a solomid. I guess MLD uses heavier (to ul standards) line locs and guylines. Probably because they consider the mids capable of some 4 season stuff and the ul tiny little guylines aren't suited for all environments.

However, I prefer reflective guy lines like lawson glowire or similar. So i'll prob shave .25 - .5 oz's of weight by switching the guylines. Not a big deal, but it should be noted.

fastfoxengineering
01-07-2017, 14:59
Q: Can I trim my SoloMid for lower weight?
A: Yes, Remove all the linelocks and use only small loops of smaller diameter cord and cut off metal zipper pulls and replace with short line loops to save about 1.5oz on the shelter and .5 oz on the guy lines.

Doing so puts the solomid right at the same weight for a .74 hexamid.

Kinda seems like a no brainer now. Aside from the heavier price tag and that darn zipper. I've grown to really not like zippers on my backpacking gear lol.