PDA

View Full Version : Another Gear List

josh_ATL
01-07-2017, 06:11
Here's what I'm workin with. https://lighterpack.com/r/dyyj82 I've got about 4lbs of electronics "starred" and counting toward my worn weight. I either carry these in my hip or sling pack or do not carry at all. My plan is to carry my camera/electronics the whole way...but we'll see. I've also got every single piece of clothing that I could possibly take listed. I will not be carrying everything at once...it will all depend on weather. I've got pretty close to 1500 miles with this or a similar setup, so I hope it'll get me to Maine sometime in the next year. I will probably swap my Duomid/NeoAir out for my hammock when it warms up. That and get rid of as many articles of clothing as possible. LighterPack has my base around 13lbs where my weight for a 5+ day trip with food and water is usually 15-16lbs. Still a pretty neat site. I really like how it lets you see everything you have and where you can cut weight most easily. Anyway...lemme know what you guys think and if you have any suggestions on how to shed some weight or anything you think I should consider swapping out. THX!

Engine
01-07-2017, 08:15
Good list...you don't state when you're starting, so it's hard to judge some gear as being weather appropriate, but here's some observations:

Why the enormous external battery? Wouldn't a 10,000 mAh battery do the job for less than 1/2 the weight?

I would ditch the Bluetooth speaker for some earbuds. Much lighter and everyone doesn't have to hear what you're listening to.

If you're seriously into photography, by all means keep the camera. But your phone will do 90% of what the camera will do for zero additional weight.

Umbrellas are great out west, but on the AT...maybe not the best choice. I would bring just the rain gear. My AGG jacket and pants are 254 grams combined and serve multiple purposes. An umbrella only really serves one.

The wonky numbers for worn clothing make it hard to really identify the actual base weight, but overall this looks pretty good.

Huli
01-07-2017, 10:27
Yea, where/when are you starting? I am going SoBo this year carrying all my gear and am not even taking as many layers. Try to break it up on the chart as to which things are weather dependant.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

hyperslug
01-07-2017, 11:09
Josh, do those Sole insoles fit your Altra shoes? I'm looking for a pair of insoles for mine but the wide toe box leaves me wondering? Thx

Cheyou
01-07-2017, 11:20
Good list...you don't state when you're starting, so it's hard to judge some gear as being weather appropriate, but here's some observations:

Why the enormous external battery? Wouldn't a 10,000 mAh battery do the job for less than 1/2 the weight?

I would ditch the Bluetooth speaker for some earbuds. Much lighter and everyone doesn't have to hear what you're listening to.

If you're seriously into photography, by all means keep the camera. But your phone will do 90% of what the camera will do for zero additional weight.

Umbrellas are great out west, but on the AT...maybe not the best choice. I would bring just the rain gear. My AGG jacket and pants are 254 grams combined and serve multiple purposes. An umbrella only really serves one.

The wonky numbers for worn clothing make it hard to really identify the actual base weight, but overall this looks pretty good.

I use and like my umbrella / rain skirt in the East over non breathing rain wear which most are.

Thom

josh_ATL
01-07-2017, 13:21
Josh, do those Sole insoles fit your Altra shoes? I'm looking for a pair of insoles for mine but the wide toe box leaves me wondering? Thx

I got my shoes measured and fit at Outdoor 76 in Franklin, NC. The whole process probably took 2 hours, but was well worth it! If anyone reading this needs a new pair of shoes within the first 100 miles of starting NOBO then check this place out when you get to Franklin! I highly recommend letting the guys at Outdoor 76 Measure and fit your shoes/insoles. I learned a ton from these guys about how shoes should fit. The guys there take measurements for both your shoe size, and your insole size, as the two are rarely the same. Your insole size is determined by the length of your foot's arch. Most people require larger insoles than ones that correspond with their shoe size. I wear a 12 in Altras, but the arch in my foot matched up better to a size 14 shoe. So I bought Altra Lone Peaks size 12, and size 14 Sole brand footbeds. Since I purchased the larger size insoles, I had plenty of extra to trim so they would fit my shoes. As for the Lone Peaks & Sole footbeds, I have nothing but good things to say about either of them!

Engine
01-07-2017, 13:56
I use and like my umbrella / rain skirt in the East over non breathing rain wear which most are.

Thom

I knew someone would chime in, but you are in the extreme minority this side of the Mississippi.

josh_ATL
01-07-2017, 14:05

I'm starting early-mid March. I've hiked Standing Indian Mountain and the Roan Highlands here recently in the past month, and I'm set on gear for cold weather hiking. I run kind of hot anyway. I was the guy hiking through 5 inches of snow in the Smokies in running shorts and a rain jacket...hahaha!

I've got a smaller battery pack, but I usually end up killing it after the first day or two out of town. That's why I really like my 26800 mAh battery bank. I take a ton of pictures/videos, use Guthook GPS on my phone, and listen to music/podcasts on my little Bluetooth speaker while I'm hiking, and in camp. The large battery bank allows me to charge my phone, camera batteries, Bluetooth speaker, and whatever else I, or someone else might need to charge.

I've used my phone plenty on past hikes to take pictures/videos on the trail, but the image quality is very poor compared to my Camera.

The bluetooth speaker may seem kind of frivolous, but it's the one luxury item that I'm not going to part with. I don't like hiking with earbuds because I cant hear anything around me like hikers coming up from behind, or a timber rattler getting pissed because I almost stepped on him. So, I listen to music and podcasts on my little Bluetooth speaker while I'm hiking. It's also nice sitting around camp in the evenings letting other people DJ.

I've used my umbrella for a few years now, on both coasts, and in the desert. I get a lot of flak for it no matter where I hike but it's pretty clutch when you're hiking in the pouring rain, and works even better to keep the sun off your face. It's 6 ounces that I do not mind carrying at all.

As far as my clothing goes, I listed every piece I own, and might possibly use on my hike. The only things I added to the base weight are the articles I won't be hiking in. Everything is dependent on weather. I typically hike in running shorts (no matter how cold it gets) a t shirt, and UL anorak. I keep my down jacket, rain shell, merino baselayers, extra socks, extra underwear, gloves etc. in my pack, and those should be the only pieces contributing to my base weight. My clothing weight always varies so there's not a really solid way to come up with what I'll wear to start my hike, and what clothing will be stored in the pack. I think roughly I should have 2-4lbs of clothes stored in my pack, and I'll wear between 2-4lbs depending on weather. Hope that cleared up my clothing complications a little bit.

Anyway, thanks for looking over my list and taking the time to comment on it!

josh_ATL
01-07-2017, 14:08
Yea, where/when are you starting? I am going SoBo this year carrying all my gear and am not even taking as many layers. Try to break it up on the chart as to which things are weather dependant.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

I'm going NOBO from Springer early-mid March. I'm definitely not planning on bringing ALL the clothed I listed. They are just what I already own, and have to choose from. I won't have a set clothing list until closer to my start date.

josh_ATL
01-07-2017, 14:10

Thom

They just don't know! Let us tell you about umbrella life!!!

Cheyou
01-07-2017, 14:24
They just don't know! Let us tell you about umbrella life!!!

Ha ha very true . It does have a second use besides looking very dapper. Blocking wind ,rain for my hexamid;0)

Sandy of PA
01-07-2017, 18:54
Ha ha very true . It does have a second use besides looking very dapper. Blocking wind ,rain for my hexamid;0)

You won't find me out there without mine. Six years of long(400miles+) section hikes with it bungied to my shoulder strap. Let the others enjoy their "boil in bag" raincoats!

Miguelon
01-10-2017, 04:46
Hey,

My 2 Cents.... But... I'm no expert.

Vargo fuel bottle. It'd be only a small difference, but I'd check out the weight of an 8oz or 10 oz coke plastic bottle.... Don't want to drink it so... Maybe save 5 grams... not sure. I don't know your headlamp or if you plan to night hike but mine is: Olight i3sEOS at 23 grams. I am not going to night hike... Do you actually use a watch? I only use my cell phone. I, too, love listening to podcasts and music. Try listening with just the speakers on your iphone. Turning up the volume on my iphone to the max, I can hear it fairly well... an idea. I love the Victorinox Signature. That pen is the bomb! I think if I were to be really, really careful I might be able to trim and file my nails with the scissors and file! Since electronics are of so much importance... Consider shortening the length of the charging cable: weight, efficiency and bulk. 1. Granted not a huge weight savings but The AmazonBasics Apple Certified Lightning to USB Cable - 4 Inches (10 Centimeters) weighs 9 grams. 2. Apparently the longer the cable the less efficient the usb battery charges.... (read it on the internet/made sense/must be true)... [Read it in Amazon review-- Anker PowerCore+ mini, 3350mAh Lipstick-Sized Portable Charger (3rd Generation] 3. The shorter the cable the less bulky in the pack.

Does your current cell phone provider provide coverage on the AT. If no reception... useless weight. Another idea... mp3 player. Battery works longer becuase it does less? Not sure... something to look into.

I posted my gear list and a poster suggested I put on all of my clothing at once. That made tons of sense to me. I think I'll keep an extra pair or underwear, socks, and tee shirt for bed.... but everything else will be able to be worn at the same time.

I didn't see any extra cordage for your tent. Can you hang it from a tree? I see that there are side panel pullouts. Headroom and footroom might be worth it. Z packs has some really light yellow line.... 7 lines at 4 feet each weigh a total of 10 grams. I have loops in both ends of these lines so that I could double up easy if wanted to. Also, were there an external loop at the apex of the duo mid, might be nice to hang it from a tree. Anyway, good luck

Again, I'm no expert.

Miguelon

josh_ATL
01-11-2017, 02:04
Hey,

My 2 Cents.... But... I'm no expert.

Vargo fuel bottle. It'd be only a small difference, but I'd check out the weight of an 8oz or 10 oz coke plastic bottle.... Don't want to drink it so... Maybe save 5 grams... not sure. I don't know your headlamp or if you plan to night hike but mine is: Olight i3sEOS at 23 grams. I am not going to night hike... Do you actually use a watch? I only use my cell phone. I, too, love listening to podcasts and music. Try listening with just the speakers on your iphone. Turning up the volume on my iphone to the max, I can hear it fairly well... an idea. I love the Victorinox Signature. That pen is the bomb! I think if I were to be really, really careful I might be able to trim and file my nails with the scissors and file! Since electronics are of so much importance... Consider shortening the length of the charging cable: weight, efficiency and bulk. 1. Granted not a huge weight savings but The AmazonBasics Apple Certified Lightning to USB Cable - 4 Inches (10 Centimeters) weighs 9 grams. 2. Apparently the longer the cable the less efficient the usb battery charges.... (read it on the internet/made sense/must be true)... [Read it in Amazon review-- Anker PowerCore+ mini, 3350mAh Lipstick-Sized Portable Charger (3rd Generation] 3. The shorter the cable the less bulky in the pack.

Does your current cell phone provider provide coverage on the AT. If no reception... useless weight. Another idea... mp3 player. Battery works longer becuase it does less? Not sure... something to look into.

I posted my gear list and a poster suggested I put on all of my clothing at once. That made tons of sense to me. I think I'll keep an extra pair or underwear, socks, and tee shirt for bed.... but everything else will be able to be worn at the same time.

I didn't see any extra cordage for your tent. Can you hang it from a tree? I see that there are side panel pullouts. Headroom and footroom might be worth it. Z packs has some really light yellow line.... 7 lines at 4 feet each weigh a total of 10 grams. I have loops in both ends of these lines so that I could double up easy if wanted to. Also, were there an external loop at the apex of the duo mid, might be nice to hang it from a tree. Anyway, good luck

Again, I'm no expert.

Miguelon

My Vargo fuel bottle is only a few, negligible, grams more than a standard plastic bottle. Plus it had ounce marks on the side and an easy flip top. I've used plastic bottles in the past, but have made the mistake of filling a fuel bottle with water from a spring and took a big gulp. I'll carry the extra couple just to make sure I don't take another big gulp of denatured flavored water again.

I've got a lighter headlamp, but only takes a single AAA battery and doesn't last very long, especially when I'm using the red light around camp. I really like my Black Diamond Storm. Not the lightest, or heaviest and I do a good bit of night hiking (Trailname: SecondShift...and for a reason) so having the 4 AAA battery and 270 lumens is well worth it for me. Oh, and it's waterproof and tough as nails.

I'm definitely going to keep my watch. I actually use it a good bit, and wear it on my wrist, so the weight in pretty inconsequential. I can usually calculate how many miles I've completed, how many more I have to go, and how long it's going to take to get to a certain spot on the trail just by keeping track of how long I've been hiking. I've played around with the compass, barometer and thermometer functions but haven't ever needed them on the AT. The altimeter definitelty comes in handy as another way to calculate my approximate location by my altitude in reference to other known points along the trail. My watch is also the best way for me to keep up with time since I carry my phone in my pack. It saves me from dropping my pack to just check the time. And since I keep my phone in my pack, my Bluetooth speaker allows me to listen to music/podcasts without having to pull my phone out, and also saves my phone's battery. I can get a couple days out of my phone playing music via Bluetooth, but can't even get a full day playing out of it's built in speakers. The speaker is one of the smaller and lightest ones I've seen: http://www.jbl.com/bluetooth-speakers/JBL+GO.html

Victorinox Signature is for sure one awesome knife. I do still carry a pen in my pack, but its really nice for when you don't want to dig anything out and have to write something down real quick. I gave a bunch for Christmas this year as stocking stuffers for all my cousins/aunts/uncles/friends. Even my female cousins and girl friends loved them.

I've actually thought about trying to find some shorter USB charging cables for my electronic devices. I've go a 6 port USB wall charger that has a 36 inch (I think) power cord so as long as that would reach the outlet, I wouldn't need and of the USB cables to be more than a couple inches. And it definitely makes sesns that it would charge more efficiently. Just using my Anker 6 Port USB hub makes charging go a lot faster. I'm definitely going to look into the shorter cables. You're not the first person to suggest it, so it must be a pretty popular idea.

My phone works in places cell phones work on the AT, so few and far between. While I'm hiking I'll keep it in airplane mode, play music and maybe use the Guthook app. I'll usually turn it on when I get to camp and check messages/voicemails/facebook etc. And then only if I have service. I can go about 3/4 days with moderate usage like this on a single charge. There have been a few times I've accidentally killed my phone by forgetting to switch back to airplane mode, or by leaving it out at night in the cold. The cold will kill batteries, especially rechargeable ones, faster than anything. I'm not NOT going to carry my phone so iPod/MP3 player wouldn't do anything but add more weight rather than reduce it.

As far as the Duomid goes, I'm sure I could hang it from a tree, but I don't really see the point and think it would just be more difficult to get it pitched taut where it would shed wind correctly. I've pitched it loose a few times before when it was windy and Cuben Fiber is SUPER loud when it's russling in the wind. And trying to find a limb that doesn't have any give to it, but is low enough to the ground that I could pitch a line over it. I carry trek poles anyway, so I just use those. I keep a little run of Dynaglide line for in the rare instance I bear bag. I guess it could double as guyline, but I've already got legnths of guyline attached to my Duomid LineLocks. I haven't really played around with setting it up that much. In fact, I usually stay in shelters when I hike so I can get out faster in the morning. I can shave about 20-30 minutes off my morning routine when I don't have to break a tent down.

I know my clothing is a little confusing, but what I did was list every item I could possibly bring, or have shipped to where I am to use in a clothing system. I'm not usually one to bring ANY extra clothes. It's definitely made for some pretty uncomfortable wet, sticky (sweat/humidity/rain) and uncomfortable nights in the summer. And other times made for some very cold, get up and start hiking at 3:00am to get warm, days in the winter. My cold weather clothing system is wearing literally EVERYTHING I have in my pack. I'll try to describe the different variants of my clothing systems below.

Every variant of my clothing system starts with:
- nylon running shorts (Patagonia Baggies *5" inseam*)
- synthetic fast drying t-shirt (The North Face Reaxion)
- ultralight merino wool socks (Darn Tough Vertex Tab No Show Ultralight)
- baseball cap (New Era 59Fifty Atlanta Braves Home)
***These pieces don't come off unless I need get my merino base layer on underneath my shorts.

For the rest of my cold weather system, I wear/carry:
- single pair of underwear (Ibex W2 Boxer)
- extra pair of hiking socks (Darn Tough Hojo Over The Calf Light)
- thick pair of merino wool camp socks (Darn Tough Mountaineering Over The Calf Extra Cushion)
- merino wool baselayer bottoms (Terramar Woolskins)
- fleece or merino wool quarter zip pullover (Ibex Indie Hoody, The North Face TKA100)
- convertible nylon hiking pants (Outdoor Research Equinox)
- puffy down jacket *doubles as a pillow (MontBell Superior Parka)
- ultralight rain jacket (Outdoor Research Helium II)
- ultralight rain pants (Outdoor Research Helium)
- wool beanie (Minus 33 Ridge Cuff Beanie)
- running gloves (The North Face Apex Etip)
- buff

During the summer I'll ditch:
- thick pair of merino wool camp socks
- merino wool baselayer bottoms
- fleece or merino wool quarter zip pullover
- convertible nylon hiking pants
- puffy down jacket *doubles as a pillow
- ultralight rain jacket
- ultralight rain pants

And pick up:
- ultralight windshirt (MontBell Tachyon Anorak)
- ultralight rain kilt (ULA Rain Kilt)
- EXTRA nylon running shorts (Patagonia Baggies *5" inseam*)
- EXTRA synthetic fast drying t-shirt (The North Face Reaxion)

I think I've included everything you all the other guys had questions about as far as my clothing system, so I hope this little explanation helped to clear any confusion up. Thanks for the comments and ideas, I hope I get some more suggestions because I really enjoy getting feedback from other hikers so I can steal ideas and pawn them off as my own...haha!

jjozgrunt
01-11-2017, 02:56
I knew someone would chime in, but you are in the extreme minority this side of the Mississippi.

Sorry Engine but everyone I have followed in the last 3 years was either carrying one or enviously looking at those carrying one, especially in the first couple of months of a march start, where the rain is cold and trees aren't in leaf yet. I will be carrying mine plus a rain wrap (man speak for skirt) on the AT and swap it out with the summer gear. Hands free so you can still use poles, camera's, phones or check the guide/map.

http://www.euroschirm.com/schirm/teleScope_handsfree/index.cgi?session=CzstM3NuUAjok&sprache_land=englisch

Engine
01-11-2017, 05:31
Sorry Engine but everyone I have followed in the last 3 years was either carrying one or enviously looking at those carrying one, especially in the first couple of months of a march start, where the rain is cold and trees aren't in leaf yet. I will be carrying mine plus a rain wrap (man speak for skirt) on the AT and swap it out with the summer gear. Hands free so you can still use poles, camera's, phones or check the guide/map.

http://www.euroschirm.com/schirm/teleScope_handsfree/index.cgi?session=CzstM3NuUAjok&sprache_land=englisch

My experience on the AT and other trails in the east is exactly the opposite, I have seen a grand total of exactly zero umbrella carriers. I understand why people like them, and I'm certainly not married to my present method of hiking without one, especially given my many cases of skin cancer...shade is my friend. But I am married to my hiking poles and given the occasional tunnel of vegetation which I would have to navigate, I don't really want to attach something to my pack which will get hung up on limbs.

Now, when I do the PCT...you bet I'll have one. Heck, I may get a prescription from my dermatologist and get it paid for...lol

Miguelon
01-11-2017, 19:10
Josh,

The reason I suggest hanging is the possibility of rolling into the trekking pole and having the shelter crash down... If you are on a slope... if room is limited... if you flail about when sleeping.... Just an idea.

I, too, gave away Victorinox Signatures for X-Mass. So, so good. Only tool I keep with my keys. Indispensible.

Take care,

Miguelon

FiftyNine
01-13-2017, 11:50
Loaded my pack up this morning with almost (yes, almost) everything including 3 days of food 6 lbs 12 oz. (just used food items I had in house for weight est.) and a touch over 2 liters of water. exactly 30.0 lbs. My goal was to keep it under 30 pounds.

Gear list (always changing)
Zpack Arc haul Zip w/ 2 belt pouches, 1 shoulder pouch, 1 side pocket.
Enlighten Equipment Rev. 20 degree quilt
Warbonnet Blackbird DL 1.7
Zlite Sol Sleeping pad - instead of UQ - can also be used to go to ground if needed - doing flip flop starting in april hoping weather wont be a huge problem,
-- don't want to add another pound or so for an under quilt
Warbonnet Superfly with 2 mod poles. . Poles
MacroMo JetBoil w/spork, collapsible cup in stuff sack.
Puffy coat in bag with buff - will use as pillow
Zseat
Crocs - may replace with flip flops
poncho
zpack rain kilt for ground sheet under hammock for pack and shoes
zpack food/bearbag
sawyer squeeze w/ 64oz water bag
first aid kit - VERY little
black diamond headlamp
SPOT GPS
head bug net
repair kit (pen knife, 3 AAA Batteries, patch kit, needle & thread,
biking gloves
pack rain cover - (may not take)
rash compactor bag
travel toothbrush - paste
nail clipper
chap stick
Deet
toilet paper with .6oz trowel - travel sanitizer
(2) 1 liter smart water bottles. ( only plan on carrying no more than 1 to 1.5 liters at any time)
(1) 16oz water bottle for drinking on pack shoulder strap.
electronics (includes medical equipment* ) --have a mild case of sleep apena. may be able to go without but will start with it. ( its almost silent and I won't snore with it :) ) great for hostels and shelters! lightening cable for iphone *The Cpap & battery is 4lb 1oz lbs (battery can be used to charge iphone)

Clothes in pack
1 darn tough socks
1 wigwam sock liner
1 underware
1 cabin/camp socks
1 gym shorts (laundry/sleep)
1 long sleeve shirt
1 short sleeve shirt
1 light weight base layer top and bottom

JC13
01-13-2017, 12:38
If you want to swap out the Crocs for something lighter, look at the USADawgs, about half the weight of crocs but still give you full foot coverage. Flip flops suck going up or downhill and toe stubs are plentiful. $10 for a pair isn't a bad deal either.

https://www.usadawgs.com/collections/mens-shoes-athletic/products/mens-ultralite-shoes-bkbk

CarlZ993
01-14-2017, 23:59
Looks like you've got a lot of items listed as 'worn or carried' in your list. That will skew your base pack weight significantly.

Regardless, once you're on the trail, you'll figure out what you want to get rid of & what you want to keep or possibly add. Generally, reducing is better than adding. As I like to tell my Scouts... "Ounces become pounds and pounds become pain."

Good luck on your hike.

josh_ATL
01-15-2017, 02:17
My experience on the AT and other trails in the east is exactly the opposite, I have seen a grand total of exactly zero umbrella carriers. I understand why people like them, and I'm certainly not married to my present method of hiking without one, especially given my many cases of skin cancer...shade is my friend. But I am married to my hiking poles and given the occasional tunnel of vegetation which I would have to navigate, I don't really want to attach something to my pack which will get hung up on limbs.

Now, when I do the PCT...you bet I'll have one. Heck, I may get a prescription from my dermatologist and get it paid for...lol

I've never had mine get caught on anything if it was in my pack, but I've snagged it a few times with it open. I'm actually on my second one because I caught it on a low hanging branch and ripped a pretty big hole in it. Luckily it was just a drug store umbrella. I've snagged my MontBell a few times, but it seems to be a lot more durable. I'm sure sure I could damage it, but I try to pay a t least a little attention to it. I definitely made fun of my friends who hiked with umbrellas before I tried one out for myself. I just so happened to find one in a hiker box at Partnership Shelter right before I was about to head out into a huge thunderstorm. I was a believer from that day on. I just didn't realize how helpful they are. I think the best thing about them is the fact that they keep rain from running down the front or back of your neck while hiking in a downpour. Plus, they can literally take the place of your rain jacket if it's warm enough outside. Don't get me wrong, you'll still get wet, but it won't be from sweating in your rain shell. It also kind of helps to keep water off your pack so it doesn't become so water logged so quick. On the rare occasion I use trek poles, I just clip my sternum strap over the handle of my umbrella and use a gear tie to cinch it to my shoulder strap so I have a hands free system to beat the rain. I'm a big umbrella advocate, but before dropping $50 on a trekking umbrella, try a cheap dollar store one and see if you like it. That was what I started with, and eventually trader up to a nice hiking one.

josh_ATL
01-15-2017, 02:24
Josh,

The reason I suggest hanging is the possibility of rolling into the trekking pole and having the shelter crash down... If you are on a slope... if room is limited... if you flail about when sleeping.... Just an idea.

I, too, gave away Victorinox Signatures for X-Mass. So, so good. Only tool I keep with my keys. Indispensible.

Take care,

Miguelon

I might have to try hanging if I can get a good pitch. I'll have to play with it to see if it's feasible. It would be nice not having my trek poles in the middle of my shelter (down side of mids) taking up room. I'm been super impressed with just how bombproof mids are though. I've had it set up in the Whites with 60+ mph winds, survived torrential downpours, and have even had my 100+ lb dog run into the center support at full force and it's never fallen.

Engine
01-15-2017, 02:32
I've never had mine get caught on anything if it was in my pack, but I've snagged it a few times with it open. I'm actually on my second one because I caught it on a low hanging branch and ripped a pretty big hole in it. Luckily it was just a drug store umbrella. I've snagged my MontBell a few times, but it seems to be a lot more durable. I'm sure sure I could damage it, but I try to pay a t least a little attention to it. I definitely made fun of my friends who hiked with umbrellas before I tried one out for myself. I just so happened to find one in a hiker box at Partnership Shelter right before I was about to head out into a huge thunderstorm. I was a believer from that day on. I just didn't realize how helpful they are. I think the best thing about them is the fact that they keep rain from running down the front or back of your neck while hiking in a downpour. Plus, they can literally take the place of your rain jacket if it's warm enough outside. Don't get me wrong, you'll still get wet, but it won't be from sweating in your rain shell. It also kind of helps to keep water off your pack so it doesn't become so water logged so quick. On the rare occasion I use trek poles, I just clip my sternum strap over the handle of my umbrella and use a gear tie to cinch it to my shoulder strap so I have a hands free system to beat the rain. I'm a big umbrella advocate, but before dropping $50 on a trekking umbrella, try a cheap dollar store one and see if you like it. That was what I started with, and eventually trader up to a nice hiking one. Thanks for the info, I may have to give it a go this year. Given that it rains about 20-30% of the time on the AT, finding the best solution to dealing with it is critical to maximizing enjoyment. TBH, if it's warm enough to sweat under my really well ventilated (huge pit zips) AGG jacket, I usually forego any rain protection and just get wet.

josh_ATL
01-15-2017, 02:50
Looks like you've got a lot of items listed as 'worn or carried' in your list. That will skew your base pack weight significantly.

Regardless, once you're on the trail, you'll figure out what you want to get rid of & what you want to keep or possibly add. Generally, reducing is better than adding. As I like to tell my Scouts... "Ounces become pounds and pounds become pain."

Good luck on your hike.

Yeah, I've been told my worn items is a little confusing. I weighed my clothing bag a few weeks ago before I set out on a little 50 mile hike in 20-30 degree temps, and it was only about 2lbs. My clothing system depends on a lot of things. Sometimes I'm more concerned with the volume of my clothes and sometimes it's the weight. I keep extra stuff in my bounce box with my extra electronics, food etc. and am able to swap things out every couple days as needed, or dictated by weather. I probably should have disclosed that I've hiked the AT once before already, but I'm trying to balance weight and comfort/luxury items this time. There have been several times that I've left town with a large enough resupply to get me to the next town, and my pack has weighed less than 10lbs, but also had times where it was hovering around 25lbs. I'm generally pretty happy if its >20lbs, and ecstatic if its around 10lbs! It did take me until probably Harper's Ferry to get good at the food game, and not buy so much where I was walking into town to get a mail drop with 5 lbs of food. I think most people ride the strugglebus when dealing with resupply at least for the first couple hundred miles. That was the biggest help as far as weight control goes. I rarely walk into town with anything left except wrappers. I know it's probably not the popular opinion, but I ok with running out of food a day before I get into town. It definitely gives me some motivation to get some miles in, and town food tastes sooooo good after a day long fast. Looking back to what I started hiking with a few years ago, (40+ lbs pack) or my Philmont pack when I was in scouts (60/70lbs) to where I'm at now, I've kind of impressed myself with how much stuff I gave up that I was sure I'd need, or want to carry. It's crazy to me sometimes how I can lose stuff in such a small pack. You would figure that keeping inventory of everything you're carring would be easy, but every time I stop and pull my liner out to clean my pack, I'm always surprised at what I've been carrying around that I've forgotten about. When I hit New Hampshire, I unloaded my pack to clean it out really well for the first time since Virginia and found 2 pairs of the stock insoles that camp in my Altras, an AWOL book that I thought I had lost so I bought another, a Hawaiian shirt I'd bought for hiker prom in Damascus, a half full iso-butane canister (pretty sure one of my hiker trash buddies snuck it in there, because I carry an alcohol stove) a zip-lok bag full of zip-lok bags and a probably 2 month old can of PBR. I guess I never really paid it any attention because it was all underneath my pack liner and the only time I'd notice it was when I was grabbing my sleeping bag, but there wasn't a lot i could do in the middle of the woods. I've decided I need to be more diligent about cleaning my pack out at resupply instead of just piling new crap on top of old crap. Anyway, thanks for taking time to look thru my gear list.

josh_ATL
01-15-2017, 03:14
Loaded my pack up this morning with almost (yes, almost) everything including 3 days of food 6 lbs 12 oz. (just used food items I had in house for weight est.) and a touch over 2 liters of water. exactly 30.0 lbs. My goal was to keep it under 30 pounds.

Gear list (always changing)
Zpack Arc haul Zip w/ 2 belt pouches, 1 shoulder pouch, 1 side pocket.
Enlighten Equipment Rev. 20 degree quilt
Warbonnet Blackbird DL 1.7
Zlite Sol Sleeping pad - instead of UQ - can also be used to go to ground if needed - doing flip flop starting in april hoping weather wont be a huge problem,
-- don't want to add another pound or so for an under quilt
Warbonnet Superfly with 2 mod poles. . Poles
MacroMo JetBoil w/spork, collapsible cup in stuff sack.
Puffy coat in bag with buff - will use as pillow
Zseat
Crocs - may replace with flip flops
poncho
zpack rain kilt for ground sheet under hammock for pack and shoes
zpack food/bearbag
sawyer squeeze w/ 64oz water bag
first aid kit - VERY little
black diamond headlamp
SPOT GPS
head bug net
repair kit (pen knife, 3 AAA Batteries, patch kit, needle & thread,
biking gloves
pack rain cover - (may not take)
rash compactor bag
travel toothbrush - paste
nail clipper
chap stick
Deet
toilet paper with .6oz trowel - travel sanitizer
(2) 1 liter smart water bottles. ( only plan on carrying no more than 1 to 1.5 liters at any time)
(1) 16oz water bottle for drinking on pack shoulder strap.
electronics (includes medical equipment* ) --have a mild case of sleep apena. may be able to go without but will start with it. ( its almost silent and I won't snore with it :) ) great for hostels and shelters! lightening cable for iphone *The Cpap & battery is 4lb 1oz lbs (battery can be used to charge iphone)

Clothes in pack
1 darn tough socks
1 wigwam sock liner
1 underware
1 cabin/camp socks
1 gym shorts (laundry/sleep)
1 long sleeve shirt
1 short sleeve shirt
1 light weight base layer top and bottom

30lbs isn't bad, but 20lbs is waaaay better and 10lbs is heavenly. I notice I'm hiking with a 30lbs pack, but if i get sub 15lbs, it's really not that much different from hiking without a pack...in my opinion. Here's my 2 cents about how I think you could save a little bit of weight:

-Drop the Z-Seat...you already carrying a CCF sleeping pad that will be way more comfortable than that tiny Z-Seat.
-If you can survive without camp shoes, then ditch em. I see more people ditch them than carry them the whole way. I'm usually fine walking around either barefoot/sockfoot, or in my trail runners until I go to bed.
-ditch the rain cover, and just use your pack liner, especially if your bag is Cuben Fiber.
-is your CPAP portable or does it need to be plugged in? If you can't use it on the trail then I'd leave it at home, or use a bounce box and ship it to wherever you're going to be staying.
-I would only carry either an extra long sleeve shirt, or an extra short sleeve shirt, depending on how cold/warm it is since you already have a top and bottom base layer packed.
-the only other thing I can suggest (but not recommend...haha) is ditching the hammock for a lighter tent/tarp setup. I love my hammock, but it weighs about twice what my tarp does, and I doubt even with the sleeping pad you'll be able to stay warm some nights. I've got an under quilt for my hammock, and it's warm-ish, but it's can't even come close to going to the ground. I started with my tarp and sleeping pad, and switched to my hammock once it warmed up enough. I was still carrying my hammock in Vermont when it started cooling down and I ended up sleeping having to sleep in shelters the rest of the way until I got my tarp back. Even with the pad, I was freezing.

Anyway, hope I was at least a little help. Let me know if you have any questions and I'll do my best to give you a somewhat educated answer.

josh_ATL
01-15-2017, 03:25
Thanks for the info, I may have to give it a go this year. Given that it rains about 20-30% of the time on the AT, finding the best solution to dealing with it is critical to maximizing enjoyment. TBH, if it's warm enough to sweat under my really well ventilated (huge pit zips) AGG jacket, I usually forego any rain protection and just get wet.

If I can convert one person to the ways of the umbrella I feel like I've made the hiking world a better place...hahaha!!! Definitely give it a try! A lot of the time I'll forgo umbrella and jacket as well. If it's hot and I'm already sweating then the rain is just doing me a favor. I forgot to mention in my earlier reply that the umbrella makes it possible to use a camera in the rain. I fully intend on getting pics/videos of those days because the only videos I ever see are of the majestic balds around sunset because nobody has their cameras out when it's ****ty out side. I know for a fact a lot of my friends/family think a thru hike is just 6 months or leisurely walking around while you're on vacation. Maybe I can show them the ugly, not so fun side of hiking...haha! I saw someone posted a link for a hands-free trekking umbrella that I'm really thinking about giving s shot for this next hiking season.

FiftyNine
01-15-2017, 08:53
30lbs isn't bad, but 20lbs is waaaay better and 10lbs is heavenly. I notice I'm hiking with a 30lbs pack, but if i get sub 15lbs, it's really not that much different from hiking without a pack...in my opinion. Here's my 2 cents about how I think you could save a little bit of weight:

-Drop the Z-Seat...you already carrying a CCF sleeping pad that will be way more comfortable than that tiny Z-Seat.
-If you can survive without camp shoes, then ditch em. I see more people ditch them than carry them the whole way. I'm usually fine walking around either barefoot/sockfoot, or in my trail runners until I go to bed.
-ditch the rain cover, and just use your pack liner, especially if your bag is Cuben Fiber.
-is your CPAP portable or does it need to be plugged in? If you can't use it on the trail then I'd leave it at home, or use a bounce box and ship it to wherever you're going to be staying.
-I would only carry either an extra long sleeve shirt, or an extra short sleeve shirt, depending on how cold/warm it is since you already have a top and bottom base layer packed.
-the only other thing I can suggest (but not recommend...haha) is ditching the hammock for a lighter tent/tarp setup. I love my hammock, but it weighs about twice what my tarp does, and I doubt even with the sleeping pad you'll be able to stay warm some nights. I've got an under quilt for my hammock, and it's warm-ish, but it's can't even come close to going to the ground. I started with my tarp and sleeping pad, and switched to my hammock once it warmed up enough. I was still carrying my hammock in Vermont when it started cooling down and I ended up sleeping having to sleep in shelters the rest of the way until I got my tarp back. Even with the pad, I was freezing.

Anyway, hope I was at least a little help. Let me know if you have any questions and I'll do my best to give you a somewhat educated answer.

I've thought about your suggestions in the past..
- I am definitely ditching the rain cover.
- agreed, my tent setup is more than a pound lighter but there a a few reasons I'm not ditching the hammock.
my sleep apnea, if I sleep at an incline I tend to breath better. I keep my head side slightly higher.
I love having my own seat/couch to lay and sit on...
It is soooo comfortable.

Sleep apnea - this is my biggest problem. Sleep apnea is when not enough oxygen is getting to your brain and in turn causes you to have less energy. I have heard of many people with apnea having to leave the trail because they basically run out of steam to continue. One or two nights without the CPAP will not have a big effect but multiple nights The lack of energy will catch up to you. Even just using it a couple of hours each night to prolong batt life will have a big difference. My CPAP system is portable and good for about 3 full nights before recharging the battery. The battery is 1 1/2 pounds. The whole system (Cpap, battery, charger,cords and equipment needed is 4 lbs 1 oz) if this is something I have To carry,I will, if it means staying on the trail. I am hoping to ditch this after a month or so because of the combination of losing more weight and the hammock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

josh_ATL
01-17-2017, 03:57
I've thought about your suggestions in the past..
- I am definitely ditching the rain cover.
- agreed, my tent setup is more than a pound lighter but there a a few reasons I'm not ditching the hammock.
my sleep apnea, if I sleep at an incline I tend to breath better. I keep my head side slightly higher.
I love having my own seat/couch to lay and sit on...
It is soooo comfortable.

Sleep apnea - this is my biggest problem. Sleep apnea is when not enough oxygen is getting to your brain and in turn causes you to have less energy. I have heard of many people with apnea having to leave the trail because they basically run out of steam to continue. One or two nights without the CPAP will not have a big effect but multiple nights The lack of energy will catch up to you. Even just using it a couple of hours each night to prolong batt life will have a big difference. My CPAP system is portable and good for about 3 full nights before recharging the battery. The battery is 1 1/2 pounds. The whole system (Cpap, battery, charger,cords and equipment needed is 4 lbs 1 oz) if this is something I have To carry,I will, if it means staying on the trail. I am hoping to ditch this after a month or so because of the combination of losing more weight and the hammock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm there with you on the hammock. I LOVE mine! And, honestly, I've thought about just carrying a small one for camp so I'd have somewhere to sit or lay around. I definitely sleep better when I'm hanging, and since your feet are at an incline above your heart, it aids in muscle recovery and will reduce soreness and alleviate fatigue.

Unfortunately, I'm very familiar with sleep apnea. I have a very mild case, but my dad suffers from it horribly. Like stops breathing for minutes at a time while gasping for air. He couldn't believe how much better he slept, and how much better and less fatigued he felt the next day after he started using his CPAP machine. He loves the outdoors, but hasn't been able to take any hikes with me since he started using his CPAP machine because it's so uncomfortable for him to sleep without it. I'm glad you said something about a portable CPAP machine. That might be exactly what he needs to help him get back outside. I haven't had any problems with mine since I started long distance hiking a few years ago. My sleep apnea got better corresponding directly to how much weight I lost while I was hiking. Now, I hardly snore at all and hope the same thing might happen for you. If you wanted to stay out longer, you could carry a decent size battery bank to charge your CPAP, and get a couple more days on trail before you would need to head into town. Anyway, thanks for the response. I'm definitely going to look in to the portable CPAP machines.