PDA

View Full Version : Big Agnes Bitter Springs UL1 vs Rei Quarter Dome 1

BamaB2
01-07-2017, 13:14
Hello all. These two tents are on sale and similarly priced. Please offer opinions on a best bang for the buck comparison. Pros or cons for either. I think one of these would make a great first backpacking tent for my college age son. Thanks.

ScareBear
01-07-2017, 16:05
Hello all. These two tents are on sale and similarly priced. Please offer opinions on a best bang for the buck comparison. Pros or cons for either. I think one of these would make a great first backpacking tent for my college age son. Thanks.
The BA is lighter and has a FANTASTIC vestibule, it requires two hiking poles, IIRC.
If those two are the same price, I would get the BA as soon as I had the cash...

Franco
01-07-2017, 20:28
A couple of points with the BA, takes a lot of stakes to set up and your trekking poles need to collapse to a 36" and 26" .
(most 3 section poles will...)

El Gallo
01-07-2017, 21:25
I have not used the BA tent but it has a front entrance which I don't like whereas the REI tent has a side entrance. I prefer rolling out of my tent instead of crawling out. I have the REI tent and I really like it. I am 5" 10" and can sleep comfortably in the tent.

kevperro
01-08-2017, 12:24
I own the REI QD1 and I've had a BA Copper Spur UL1 and many other solo tents. The REI QD is not a bad tent. Weight is very reasonable (my "as carried" weight is 35 ounces). It has plenty of space and is plenty robust once you get it staked out. I carry trekking poles but still prefer a tent that doesn't require them.

The thing I don't like about the REI tent is that it requires more stakes than something like the Copper Spur. I end up carrying 6-7 stakes where with the Copper Spur I could get away with four easily. The Copper Spur was larger but more space than I needed. Since it was half the price of the Copper Spur and essentially the same weight I sold the Copper Spur and will keep the REI QD until I have a compelling reason to change.

I've never owned the Bitter Springs but personally I wouldn't want a tent that required that much staking. I prefer tents with minimal staking required because it opens up a lot more pitching locations (camp sites). I just don't like fussing with all of those stake-out points after a long day either.

BamaB2
01-19-2017, 10:39
Thanks guys. Wasn't actually thinking about all of the stake out points.I ended up buying a Marmot EOS 1. $136.92 at Campsaver. Looked to good to pass up. Small but should be fine.