PDA

View Full Version : Pack size question

globetruck
01-08-2017, 19:03
I've been backpacking for years but never any trips longer than 10 days; while I'm not a novice I'm also not a thru hiker. I typically carry an Aether 60 that's 25-35 lbs depending on trip length and time of year. Other than camp shoes, all my equipment fits inside the pack.

I've noticed a trend towards smaller packs and lighter weight equipment. But many of the YouTube videos that tout smaller packs (<50L) require that much of the equipment be strapped to the outside of the pack. At what point would it be more beneficial to just get a slightly bigger pack that is better optimized to carry all of your actual gear? It seems that upsizing the pack would add about 1.5 lbs of weight but wouldn't it be more comfortable to carry?

Just curious. Not looking to start any weight wars with this thread!

Thank you,
Globetruck

Hosh
01-08-2017, 19:17
I don't like stuff on the outside either, normally it's fly rod, camp shoes and that's it.

Striving to reduce overall pack weight really dictates that the pack be the last item selected/purchase. Not knowing what is on your kit, it's hard to say how much you could reduce and at what cost. But if you're doing 4-7 day trips at 25-35#, not sure why you'll need a bigger pack to thru hike, guess it depends on your plan.

At any rate, the Aether is a great pack, owned one several years ago, it's also 3-4#'s heavier than many UL packs. So you're now 21-31#'s if you change it at the same volume

bigcranky
01-08-2017, 19:50
The Aether 60 is a fine pack for a thru hike, which after all is just a series of 5-7 day hikes back to back to back.

I can fit all my gear inside my pack, but I sometimes choose to hang stuff on the outside to dry, or whatever.

Slo-go'en
01-08-2017, 20:34
Yea, it doesn't make much sense to have a pack which half the stuff has to go into the big mesh pocket on the back. I avoid external items at all costs - with the exception of water bottles that is.

I used 45L on my hike from HF to NH last April/May, but it was really tight. Had to really cut corners. Just bumping it up to 50L would have been a big help. 60L is a good average for a thru hike.

bigcranky
01-08-2017, 20:40
Yea, it doesn't make much sense to have a pack which half the stuff has to go into the big mesh pocket on the back.

Oh, not me, I loooove the big mesh pocket on the front of my pack. I have lots of very specific items that get carried there. TP and my snow stake/trowel. Map and journal. Pack cover. Hat and gloves if I take them off. Ground sheet. Wind shirt if I take that off. Third water bottle (one of those flat ones) if I need it. It's a useful place to keep things that I need throughout the day. I wouldn't buy a pack without that pocket.

Note that none of this is "hanging off the outside of my pack". It's all carried very well inside a pocket -- no different than the many packs I have owned with a zippered solid pocket in the same place.

MuddyWaters
01-08-2017, 20:51
The Aether 60 is a fine pack for a thru hike, which after all is just a series of 5-7 day hikes back to back to back.

+

this is a popular pack.

Yea, it doesn't make much sense to have a pack which half the stuff has to go into the big mesh pocket on the back.

Yes and no.

Half..yeah , you shouldnt have half your stuff there.

But big mesh pocket is great for putting things you need during day. Snacks, map, water treatment, drink mix, bandana. If its going to rain I shove raingear there and wait till need it. If tarp is wet, I shove it there instead of putting inside. most time my miscl ziplock that has light and fak is in there too. And always garbage ziplock during day. And a CCF to use as sitpad at breaks rolled up on top.

All this stuff will fit inside easily for me 95% of time. I just choose to put it outside to be accessible. And organized a bit.

But yeah, some DO have half their gear outside their pack. Tent, stove, sleeping pad and I do wonder why they dont get a bigger pack too.

globetruck
01-08-2017, 21:10
Wet stuff on outside obviously makes sense.

G-FOURce
01-08-2017, 21:16
I can easily go 4-5 days with a 35-40L pack. That said, I also am okay with recycling base layers and am a minimalist.

fastfoxengineering
01-08-2017, 21:36
The only things inside my pack are my quilt, sleeping pad, spare clothes, cookit, and food. I keep some misc items in my hipbelt pocket. I keep two water bottles in my side water bottle pockets. I have a pack with the big mesh pouch on the back. I have a 1L dry bag where I put all my essentials. My tarp and ground sheet go in this pouch. My stakes go in this pouch. My rain coat goes in this pouch. I have plenty of room to spare in this pouch for some food, maps, a layer I might use or take off, etc.

My perfect thru hiking pack for the AT would be a 35-40L main compartment, two side water bottle pockets, and hipbelt pockets. Roll top closure. Maybe a shoulder strap pouch. I've never had one, but see the usefulness for a camera or phone.

This would leave me with enough room for 5-7 days of food. Nothing hangs off the outside of my pack. Actually most people think i'm a day hiker.

I also never have to move anything inside my pack when it rains. I don't care if my stake sack or my tarp gets wet.

That's all I really have for gear.

fastfoxengineering
01-08-2017, 21:38
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61aTQ1yqbGs

Here is a minimalist's hikers load out... nothing is hanging off the outside of his tiny pack.

Venchka
01-08-2017, 23:19
Regardless of size and gear inside or out, if the pack isn't comfortable on your body for a week or two, it is POOP!
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

josh_ATL
01-09-2017, 23:10
I carry a 28 Liter pack and am able to fit everything inside with the exception of my tarp, ground sheet, and water bottles, all of which I want on the outside anyway. It's been tight a few times before when I've had 7+ days worth of food, but it's usually ok within a day or two. I'm not a fan of keeping a bunch of stuff on the outside of my pack. It's too easy to get it caught on stuff or snag a hole in the mesh. I like my tarp and ground sheet on the outside because I don't have to open my pack to set up my shelter if it's raining. That and I can keep my wet tarp/ ground sheet away from everything else and let it dry out while I hike. I say instead of going bigger to fit everything inside your pack, go smaller and get rid of the stuff that doesn't fit.

ScareBear
01-10-2017, 04:38
I have no issue with lashing something to the back and/or bottom of the pack, depending on the haul. I've carried a bear can on top before. No issue there...

No matter how small, a CCF rolled pad or Zpad is never going inside my pack. Ever.

Pack size boils down to personal preference. I've found a 62L pack to be great during spring/fall/winter on the AT. In the hot summer, I bump it down to a 45L, although I am seriously looking at a 50L for spring and fall if it won't get below 30F. I am also trying to get my system rigged for a 35L for summer-only AT right now. It's close for a 3 nighter...don't see how on a 5 nighter...yeah...I've got a 62L, a 45L and a 35L for the AT....and those are just MINE...there's a 50L and 55L in the shared gear bin too...just sayin...YMMV...

Night Train
01-10-2017, 20:30
Pack size is relative to the individual and what you deem necessary to carry. Experiment and enjoy your hike.

Greenlight
01-10-2017, 20:36
Wisdom. Respect.

I can fit all my gear inside my pack, but I sometimes choose to hang stuff on the outside to dry, or whatever.