PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a jacket

Thumper 2006
01-19-2006, 21:01
I am looking for a jacket to take. One that is insulated with polarguard 3d. I was reading in the articles section under Dattos recommendations for jackets and he suggests the Golite coal jacket. I looked it up and it looks more like a ski parka to me. What is your take on it? Your help is much needed, I am picking a few last minute items.

Alligator
01-19-2006, 21:23
I have one. I had it with me last weekend in Shenandoah, the temps dipped down to 27 with somewhere near 30-50+ mph winds. It was fine with layers. I bring it in the spring and fall. I don't think you can still get it though, as it is not listed on the golite site. I think it's discontinued. MEC makes a primaloft jacket that is comparable. I don't know of a polarguard equivalent. Someone else may.

Alligator
01-19-2006, 21:52
Here's a polarguard jacket on sale
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq/asp/base_no.43662/dept_id./est./qx/product.htm

Once I started looking, the Patagonia Micro Puff was returned. There's a thread on it somewhere here.

Thumper 2006
01-19-2006, 22:03
Dude, thanks a mill. for finding that for me I think i shall order it.

Thumper 2006
01-19-2006, 22:04
I found a golite coal jacket on 4gearheadz.com. Should I get it instead of the sierra designs jacket?

Smile
01-19-2006, 22:14
MontBell Thermawrap UL jacket, L is only 8.8 ounces and super toasty warm. There's talk of this jacket on another thread...perhaps check it out on the search.

have fun whatever you buy!

Alligator
01-19-2006, 22:37
You might want to search for the thread Smile referred to first. There were three jackets reviewed. I only paid $59.00 for my Coal. The one you found seems longer in the waist, but it could simply be a distortion in the picture. My Coal weighs 22 oz. (L). The Coal has the hood which adds a lot of warmth. But for thru hiking it may be overkill, as you will probably have a hat. That SD jacket is 16 oz., but does not have the hood. I've never seen it before, but since it's Polarguard, it should be reasonably warm. The only clothing product besides footware that I have ever spent over $100 is a Gore Tex jacket. I don't know a lot about some of the newer expensive clothes. All the ones I have do the job, were bought on sale, and are all lightweight. Except, of course, the expensive gore-tex jacket:D .

Whistler
01-19-2006, 22:47
I wouldn't get too attached to any particular insulation. There are jackets with non-3D insulation that are quite nice in their own way. The Patagonia Micropuff, Montbell Thermawrap, MEC Northern Lite pullover, GoLite Buzz, Moonstone UL Cirrus, etc. All quite nice, with different strengths and weaknesses--and also lighter than the SD and GoLite models you were considering.
-Mark

Alligator
01-19-2006, 23:21
Good point about considering other materials Whistler. Just a note, the Golite Buzz weighs 16 oz as listed on the Golite site, same as the SD jacket. The hood on my Coal weighs 2.3 oz, so the jacket is slightly under 20 oz. MEC didn't list any weights on the Northern Lites. I have a Northern lite vest. I wasn't as happy with how warm it keeps me, but they changed the amount of insulation in that line the next year after I bought mine. The northern lites are a good bargain pricewise.