PDA

View Full Version : Google Project FI coverage on the AT

mushdog
01-09-2017, 05:37
Hi, I'm new to whiteblaze and apologize if this is incorrect place to ask this question.

We are planning a southbound section hike through the 100 mile wilderness, my question is;
Does anyone know if the google FI project have good coverage along the trail?

Thanks

peakbagger
01-09-2017, 07:38
You are out of luck, the area is industrial forestland with no real demand to support cell towers. You may get lucky on mountain tops. Verizon is the best of the worst in much of Maine.

egilbe
01-09-2017, 07:44
It's very spotty coverage with US cellular (still better than ATT). Non existant with Sprint and T-mobile. Verizon is your best bet, but even then, its not more than 50% coverage.

Why would you need cell phone sevice anyway? You're hiking to get away from it all, correct? Why bring it with you?

Engine
01-09-2017, 07:46
Based on their coverage map it looks pretty bad up in that area.

mushdog
01-09-2017, 10:04
Thanks for the info. I did look at the coverage maps thanks for the confirmation on poor coverage in that area. And to reply to "egible", for me yes absolutely agree with leaving it behind and becoming one with the earth . However for my gal, it is her emergency safety line in case of major injury, and I also believe in being prepared within reason.

Happy hiking to ya'all

peakbagger
01-09-2017, 10:18
Time to check out SPOT or Inreach. Its been recently been beat to death in another thread but for an emergency safety line, you have two choices far better than a cell phone, a PLB or a SPOT/Inreach system. PLB is strictly one way emergency signal with no monthly fees, Spot/Inreach has a limited way of sending text strings, albeit at a monthly cost. Thus for your stated goal of major injury, the PLB is entirely adequate if on the other hand there are other unstated reasons why staying in touch is needed then Spot/Inreach.

A general note, the "100 mile wilderness" isn't. Its quite heavily used with a couple of AMC facilities in the center of it. There are logging roads that get quite a bit of use generally less than a day apart. The Mahoosucs in NH are in theory more remote as the trail goes for several days crossing no roads public of private, there are blue blazes to civilization and better (but still not great) cell coverage due to it being nearer civilization.

4eyedbuzzard
01-09-2017, 11:17
Thanks for the info. I did look at the coverage maps thanks for the confirmation on poor coverage in that area. And to reply to "egible", for me yes absolutely agree with leaving it behind and becoming one with the earth . However for my gal, it is her emergency safety line in case of major injury, and I also believe in being prepared within reason.

Happy hiking to ya'allCell service is very spotty in the 100 mile. Better at both ends but pretty dead in the middle. Definitely NOT to be relied upon as a major part of a safety strategy - note the Gerry Largay incident.

Offshore
01-09-2017, 14:11

Happy hiking to ya'all

You can rent a Spot, InReach, or a personal locater beacon for the time you're going to be in the HWM. It will give you the peace of mind you need and you won't be tied into service plans. A quick search shows a ResQLink PLB for $10 for 4 days and $3/day afterwards (from the day you tell them you're starting the trip to the day you ship it back).

Starchild
01-09-2017, 14:34
With Verizon you can have coverage at some points of each day through the 100MW, but it is one of the most remote sections of the AT and civilization. With other carriers, I won't expect anything more, and for most a hell of a lot less.

Why would you need cell phone sevice anyway? You're hiking to get away from it all, correct? Why bring it with you?

Why would anyone assume someone goes hiking to get away from it all? And even less so the AT which is a very social trail. Hiking, partly due to the meetup.com web site, is quickly becoming a major social activity and a source of many uplifting social media postings.

Have you been hiding under a rock for the past 10 years :confused:.

egilbe
01-09-2017, 20:10
With Verizon you can have coverage at some points of each day through the 100MW, but it is one of the most remote sections of the AT and civilization. With other carriers, I won't expect anything more, and for most a hell of a lot less.

Why would anyone assume someone goes hiking to get away from it all? And even less so the AT which is a very social trail. Hiking, partly due to the meetup.com web site, is quickly becoming a major social activity and a source of many uplifting social media postings.

Have you been hiding under a rock for the past 10 years :confused:.

no, I've been hiking in Maine and NH ;)

Cell phones dont really work very well in Western Maine. I use mine for a camera.

TexasBob
03-25-2019, 09:54
I recently got a new android one phone that is fully compatible with Google Fi and I was wondering if anyone has any recent experience with Google Fi service on the AT in general. I am still on AT&T but Google Fi is a monthly service with no contract so it would be easy to switch sim cards and use Google FI short term if it has better service than AT&T.