PDA

View Full Version : The Buckeye Trail

LongBlaze2019
01-09-2017, 14:01
Who has thru hiked the 1,000 plus miles of the Buckeye Trail?
I've thru hiked it once and have done several smaller section hikes.
One thing I've noticed is how much it is changing the last few years. They have added and removed sections and are working to get the portions that follow roads moved.
The Buckeye Trail Association has been very busy.

LongBlaze2019
01-09-2017, 14:03
Who has thru hiked the 1,000 plus miles of the Buckeye Trail?
I've thru hiked it once and have done several smaller section hikes.
One thing I've noticed is how much it is changing the last few years. They have added and removed sections and are working to get the portions that follow roads moved.
The Buckeye Trail Association has been very busy.
I should point out that this trail system is in Ohio! lol
The southern terminal is near Cincinnati by Milford and the Northern terminal is up by Lake Erie.

Sent from my N9519 using Tapatalk

gbolt
01-09-2017, 21:03
For me, the Northern Terminus is the middle of a Bridge over the Great Miami River in Dayton and the Southern Terminus is one step short of this same spot on the Bridge. That's the great thing about the Buckeye Trail is that is forms a Circle around Ohio. One of the few Thru Hikes that actually loop back to a starting point. It is a wonderful trail that still needs some more work to insure it is well marked and away from road walking. I love and hike a lot of the Southeast Section. Not sure I can or will ever thru hike it though.

LongBlaze2019
01-09-2017, 22:40
For me, the Northern Terminus is the middle of a Bridge over the Great Miami River in Dayton and the Southern Terminus is one step short of this same spot on the Bridge. That's the great thing about the Buckeye Trail is that is forms a Circle around Ohio. One of the few Thru Hikes that actually loop back to a starting point. It is a wonderful trail that still needs some more work to insure it is well marked and away from road walking. I love and hike a lot of the Southeast Section. Not sure I can or will ever thru hike it though.
They have moved and changed several sections already. I also hike a lot of the southeastern section of the trail.
It's nice to have the trail so close to my backyard.

gbolt
01-10-2017, 21:25
You are in a wonderful location with Burr Oak, Hocking Hills, Zaleski, and then over to Tar Hollow. It is my favorite part of the state except for the Little Smokies. But the Buckeye trail does have a nice variation between the West and North with the East and South. The Buckeye Trail Association is working hard to make hiking better in Ohio and link to other trail systems.

Storm
01-12-2017, 12:42
Glad to hear the trail is changing. I hiked some of it and was very discouraged with overgrown sections and the amount of road walking. I may have to go out and take another look.

LongBlaze2019
01-12-2017, 13:52
Glad to hear the trail is changing. I hiked some of it and was very discouraged with overgrown sections and the amount of road walking. I may have to go out and take another look.
It's taking time but they have done a lot to clean up some of the trail and are putting a lot of effort into moving parts of it off roads.

roys
01-12-2017, 16:32
What are your favorite sections? I travel through Ohio each year on my way to norther Mi. I checked out the trail on the internet but did not find a section that appealed to me. One of the great advantages of hiking is that I'm always looking for new places to stop and hike for a few days.

LongBlaze2019
01-12-2017, 17:31
What are your favorite sections? I travel through Ohio each year on my way to norther Mi. I checked out the trail on the internet but did not find a section that appealed to me. One of the great advantages of hiking is that I'm always looking for new places to stop and hike for a few days.
Southeastern Ohio is the best part of the trail in the state. Especially around the Hocking Hills Region.

roys
01-12-2017, 19:31
Thanks. I'll do more research on the Hocking Hills Region. I see there is even a Grandma Gatewood trail. That's cool.

LongBlaze2019
01-12-2017, 19:41
Thanks. I'll do more research on the Hocking Hills Region. I see there is even a Grandma Gatewood trail. That's cool.
Their is a plague in her honor down in Gallia county in Cheshire.

soilman
01-12-2017, 19:57
I have hiked most of the BT in southern Ohio. If you want a challenging hike try the "Wilderness Loop" east of Marietta. It is part of the NCT and most of the off road trail is on Wayne National Forest land.

LongBlaze2019
01-13-2017, 16:16
I have hiked most of the BT in southern Ohio. If you want a challenging hike try the "Wilderness Loop" east of Marietta. It is part of the NCT and most of the off road trail is on Wayne National Forest land.
I was gonna suggest this lol

OhioBlaze
01-13-2017, 22:17
The trail in ne Ohio especially through cvnp is pretty nice

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

LongBlaze2019
01-15-2017, 20:26
Walked some of the trail Saturday and Sunday on a short overnight. Lots of improvements to the Shawnee section in Perry county Ohio. It was cold and rainy though lol
I had a nice warm night's sleep though

LongBlaze2019
01-16-2017, 20:49
37934[emoji1]

G-FOURce
01-16-2017, 22:40
I think a Clemson fan did it in 31.0 days... :-)

LongBlaze2019
01-16-2017, 23:02
For being so wet, the trail was in great shape.

gbolt
01-17-2017, 19:56
I think a Clemson fan did it in 31.0 days... :-)

Well played! :sun As a Volunteer I found this funny until I realized our SEC Hopes went down to a bunch of GameCocks!

Now back to the Buckeye Trail!
Was the Shawnee Section Tough or did it stay up on the Ridge and where did you spend the night?

LongBlaze2019
01-17-2017, 23:34
Well played! :sun As a Volunteer I found this funny until I realized our SEC Hopes went down to a bunch of GameCocks!

Now back to the Buckeye Trail!
Was the Shawnee Section Tough or did it stay up on the Ridge and where did you spend the night?
It has some challenging spots. The wind and the rain made it a little worse. Pretty slippery in some places.
It doesn't run ridges the whole length. We camped a few miles past Tecumseh. Would have liked to camp a little farther down the trail but the weather slowed me down some.

gbolt
01-18-2017, 21:14
Thanks, I have hiked Shawnee State Park years ago and know that even Ridge Walking still has ups and downs that get the lungs and legs straining. That's why I am holding on returning until closer to a Thru Hike. In spite of the weather, that is not an "easy" hike.

LongBlaze2019
01-18-2017, 21:56
Thanks, I have hiked Shawnee State Park years ago and know that even Ridge Walking still has ups and downs that get the lungs and legs straining. That's why I am holding on returning until closer to a Thru Hike. In spite of the weather, that is not an "easy" hike.
I'm talking about Shawnee Ohio. It's in Perry county. Not even close to the same area lol

punchcard
01-19-2017, 00:14
I wish it was easy to find campsites, water, etc. how do you plan a trip w:o this?

gbolt
01-19-2017, 17:48
I'm talking about Shawnee Ohio. It's in Perry county. Not even close to the same area lol

Oh, ok. Didn't even know that was over there. The closest I have gotten to that would be Wildcat Hollow. Will have to research that portion. Thanks.

LongBlaze2019
01-22-2017, 16:05
Did a few miles on an overnight with my cousin this weekend. Perfect weather for it. Got a little rain Saturday evening/night but woke up to a beautiful morning for hiking today.
The only downside to this weekend were the kids riding their dirtbikes on the trail. They did a good job of chewing it up which didn't make me very happy. Having grown up in this area I know their are more than enough dedicated motorcycle trails in the Wayne National Forrest.
Met a fellow white blaze member and his lovely wife so that was an added bonus!

The next good weekend I hope to hike from Shawnee to Burr Oak :)