PDA

View Full Version : New guy, first post, lots of questions...

IslandPete
01-09-2017, 14:16
I've been reading as much here as possible to answer questions, but figure it's time to start posting some.
First, our general plan. It'll be me, my wife and dog. Planning a flip-flop type hike starting in VA or Harpers Ferry around the beginning of May, heading to ME by the end of August, and flipping back southbound to GA by the end of October. Seems like this will put us in the sweet spot season wise, and will avoid some of the crowds? Will we likely miss the mud in VT and the flies further north? How about temps? Can we go up a range in sleeping bag temps?
We're going to have a thousand questions, but I'll start with those.
Pete

Traveler
01-09-2017, 14:47
Welcome to WhiteBlaze!

If you've watched the forum for a while you'll know the site prides itself on having more opinions than writers on a given topic, if you've not seen much of this then you are in for a real treat.

Your general plan, to me anyway, sounds doable. There are some factors that may play into things like age, backpacking experience, and capability to be self sustaining and equipped on a long distance trail. But even with those unknowns the plan is pretty straight forward. A few things, which I am sure others will add to quickly:

You will likely miss black fly season in northern New England, though there may be swarms here and there that will make life interesting. Head nets and a broad brimmed hat are cheap and light insurance for that nuisance.

Weather as you move north will likely improve from May through August, with September being perhaps the best time of year for weather in the White and Mahoosic mountain ranges.

You probably won't avoid crowds along the northern walk, especially as you move into the Whites and beyond. These are very popular and difficult mountains that attract a serious number of people. If you are planning to stay at the huts in the Whites, its best to make your reservations early and stay on schedule between them.

Specifics on clothing and sleep systems are typically driven by the season itself in that year. There are some folks here from the area who have considerable experience and can probably give you the best idea at this point of what you might expect.

Last in case you were unaware, there are some sections of the AT that dogs are specifically not allowed on. GSMNP, Baxter SP are the main places of concern where you will have to make boarding and perhaps transportation arrangements for the dog prior to getting there. You will want to be sure the dog wears color on the flop side of the trip if you find yourself there in hunting season.

Sounds like a grand adventure and I wish you well!

Turk6177
01-09-2017, 14:51
I ran into a lot of flip flop thru hikers that did almost exactly what you are describing. There was definitely a flip flop bubble that we encountered near the NOC and GSMNP, which probably numbered around 20+ hikers over the course of 10 days in late October.

Hikingjim
01-09-2017, 14:54
That seems a good timeline. You'll get some bugs, but you would miss the worst of black flies in vt/maine
You'll probably have a lot of "change of tstorm" in the forecast in the whites with that timeline, but with proper caution you can deal with that. Can't have everything perfect!

you're going to be pretty good for temps for the majority of it. Early may north of HF is nice temps and by the time you hit vt/nh you'll be into summer
I don't know what you have for gear, but something like a 40 bag would be pretty good (with a bit of backup layers if you're chilly). You could add a bit more later if you run into some cold long-range forecasts

Slo-go'en
01-09-2017, 15:00
First off, the rocks in Pennsylvania can be really hard on a dogs paws and you'll have no break in time to toughen them up. There all kinds of other issues with hiking with a dog, like rattle snakes, ticks, heat and lack of frequent and easy to get to water but that's a subject for another tread.

As for missing the mud in Vermud, that's hard to say. With a May 1st start you'll likely get to VT around the end of June. If it's been a reasonably wet spring (and it could be this year) that's when it starts to dry out and when the Black Flies start to spawn. MA is known for it's viscous mosquitos that time of year too.

A 30 degree bag is usually okay for that time of year. With the shift in the weather patterns this year, we might have a more traditional cold and wet spring this time around.

IslandPete
01-09-2017, 15:18
Thanks guys!
As far as age, experience, and capability, I'll be 60 by the time we finish, the wife and dog both younger! No backpacking, but lots of hiking camping, and we're all pretty capable and resilient.
The hat and headnet are a good idea.
20 hikers around us is OK, but I'd like to avoid the 100's starting in GA in the spring! And with the dog, we're unlikely to be using the shelters or huts.
As for the temps/bags, the weather averages show we shouldn't,(but might), hit temps much below 50. I know that's anybody's guess now, but i was wondering if a 40 deg bag with a liner would work for the cold nights, the bag alone in between, and the liner alone when it gets really hot? I would think 3 of us in one tent will help on the cold nights, but if my wife starts getting too cold, it will go downhill fast!
If the spring turns out to be extra wet and cold, we can start later, as long as we can make it south before it gets too cold at that end...

IslandPete
01-09-2017, 16:42
First off, the rocks in Pennsylvania can be really hard on a dogs paws and you'll have no break in time to toughen them up. There all kinds of other issues with hiking with a dog, like rattle snakes, ticks, heat and lack of frequent and easy to get to water but that's a subject for another tread.

As for missing the mud in Vermud, that's hard to say. With a May 1st start you'll likely get to VT around the end of June. If it's been a reasonably wet spring (and it could be this year) that's when it starts to dry out and when the Black Flies start to spawn. MA is known for it's viscous mosquitos that time of year too.

A 30 degree bag is usually okay for that time of year. With the shift in the weather patterns this year, we might have a more traditional cold and wet spring this time around.

Slo, are you always this upbeat and optimistic?

Hikingjim
01-09-2017, 17:17
I don't really like liners. They tend to be either heavy or not as advertised temp-wise, in my experience
I would rather take a 40 bag and some decent clothes (since you can wear them in camp as well if it's chilly), a light beanie if you want, etc. Should be at least a proper EN 40f rating for your wife... some stuff claims 40 and is more a 50+. You could go 30 if she might sleep cold. That wouldn't be too bad in the summer, based on where you'll be, if you vent it well

If it gets cold at the end it's not a big deal. You can pick up something in October or whenever you need it. Like a cheap light puffy jacket or something

Slo-go'en
01-09-2017, 17:50

Yes, always :)

I've 30 years and over 6,000 miles of experience on the AT. It's not all sunshine and butterflies out there. In fact, a lot of the time it can be down right miserable.

Since you apparently live in the Bahamas and no doubt used to living in sandals and shorts, New England weather may come as a serious shock to your system. The bad weather usually comes in April, but last year the months flipped with April being kind of nice and May really rotten. A lot of the flip floppers bailed in PA during a cold, wet 2 week period in early May. Those PA rocks which are a pain under the best of conditions are really nasty when wet. OTOH, having done PA in both hot and humid weather and coming close to dying from heat stroke, and doing PA with cold and rainy weather and coming close to dying from hypothermia, the cold and rainy weather was much better.

A 40 degree bag and liner is okay when the weather is pleasant, but when you hit a rainy spell in the spring you start to suffer. I did last May in PA with that set up when the rainy spell happened and was very jealous of those who had warmer bags then me. I kept telling the group I was with I had "loft envy" since their bags had it and mine didn't. And I'm used to cold weather, living in northern NH and keeping my house at 55 to 60 degrees all winter.

We have dry years and wet years on the east coast. The last few years with the El Nino have been on the dry side. This year might be a wet year. We'll just have wait and see how it goes.

Slo-go'en
01-09-2017, 18:04
BTW, when a bag is rated for some temperature, the advertised rating is generally the "probably keep you alive" temp. The comfort rating is 10 to 15 degrees higher. So, a bag which is claimed to be 40 degrees is more of a 50 degree bag. Even though you see the "average" temp to be no less then 50, that's not accurate for the mountains and it can get really, really chilly early in the morning, especially if there are clear skies. It can be in the low 40's early in the morning and 90's in the afternoon.

ScareBear
01-09-2017, 18:45
Bags all vary in how the manufacturer "rates" them for temp. The "EN" is a "standard" that gives you some way to compare claims of warmth. Kelty, for example, makes no bones that they claim 5 to 10 degrees warmer than the EN rating.

There are THREE EN ratings you need to be concerned with:
1. EN COMFORT LEVEL-That temperature an adult FEMALE can lie in a RELAXED position in the bag, wearing LONG UNDERWEAR AND A HAT, and sleeping on a ONE INCH PAD, and can get a restful sleep without feeling cold, IN A TENT.
2. EN LOWER LIMIT- That temperature an ADULT MALE can lie in the FETAL position in the bag, wearing LONG UNDERWEAR AND A HAT, and sleeping on a ONE INCH pad can get a night's sleep, IN A TENT.
3. EN EXTREME LIMIT-THAT TEMPERATURE AT WHICH A FEMALE IN LONG UNDERWEAR, SOCKS, HAT AND CURLED IN THE FETAL POSITION CAN SURVIVE SIX HOURS WITHOUT DEVELOPING HYPOTHERMIA...IN A TENT.

So, your actual "comfort" level is going to vary, possibly GREATLY, from the ratings.

It is easier to vent than it is to create warmth. I would always go warmer. You are not cold-hardened. If the low is going to be 40 degrees, I would think nothing less than a 30 degree bag for you will do. Your wife may want a 20 degree bag.

map man
01-09-2017, 20:07
You say you are going to start in Virginia or Harpers Ferry in early May. My preference would be for a start at the road crossing near Waynesboro VA. You give yourself, spouse and dog a longer amount of time to get trail conditioned before hitting the worst of the bad rocks starting in mid-Pennsylvania. You also start on some of the easiest AT trail there is. You also have lots and lots of road crossings in the first hundred miles -- seems like no matter how well you prepare you may very well need to make a trip to the outfitters in Waynesboro or Luray to make gear changes, shoe changes, etcetera, once you are underway. You also delay, compared to starting in Harpers Ferry, how soon you will get to CT, MA and VT (in a typical year the bugs and mud may not be as bad there if you delay getting there by a couple weeks).

orthofingers
01-09-2017, 21:06
Will your dog tolerate doggie booties? The paws will take a beating on those rocks in Pa, Nh, and
Maine.

IslandPete
01-10-2017, 09:55
Still going back and forth on the 30 vs 40 deg bags. I can't help thinking 30 is going to be way more than we need much of the time, but I guess you need to prepare for the worst.
The bottom of Skyline Drive at Waynesboro/Afton is actually where we're hoping to start, and for many of the reasons you suggested. Thanks!
We actually did get dog booties to try on the sailboat. My wife put one on him, and he wouldn't touch that foot to the ground. While funny to us, not so much for him. We may try them again. He's got good feet, and is very athletic.
If Orthofingers is an orthopedist, I may have other questions for you. I've broken both my ankles twice, and my shoulder/collarbones a total of three times. Those are the areas likely to take the most abuse during the hike, so I have some concerns...
Pete

Gambit McCrae
01-10-2017, 10:27

Its one thing to be optimistic that the weather will be nice...Its another to be realistic.

Like most people on here, Slo - due to experience, tells it how it is. If you want optimistic advice Go over to Facebook and post your plans there.

I have a dog that has put about 1700 miles on the trail with a backpack. And I have worn him out. He has followed me before (in the southern AT), until the pads were worn off his feet, and it happened over a 6 mile time frame, and in return, my dog does not go on trips longer then 26-30 miles now. I learned the hard way that long distance hiking is not for dogs.

So I am not a dog hater who dislikes seeing them on the trail, in fact when I do see them on the trail I enjoy them. But like most dog owners, you will know better then I, and will take your dog to the AT after living on an Island, and it will end up effecting your trip.

How's that for a dose of optimism :)

Post Edit:
Oh and those dog booties? Right off the bat if the dog has due claws you can forget using them. Secondly, dog booties are only good for wearing all the hair off the area covers up by the boot, and is a great way to "rot" your dogs feet. They are simply a marketing scheme to get people to spend money. Speaking from experience here too.

IslandPete
01-10-2017, 11:20
My response to Slo was in jest. If I didn't want realistic responses here from people like you and he, I wouldn't have asked.
As for the dog, he's one of our biggest concerns. We'll see how he goes, and I have no intention of breaking him down. I don't have a lot of hope that the booties will work. We're planning on using two of our own vehicles, and leapfrogging with them, actually heading north by hiking south. That will give us a chance every few days or weeks to evaluate him and us both.
Keep the information coming, good or bad, I'm appreciating it!

Gambit McCrae
01-10-2017, 11:41
My response to Slo was in jest. If I didn't want realistic responses here from people like you and he, I wouldn't have asked.
As for the dog, he's one of our biggest concerns. We'll see how he goes, and I have no intention of breaking him down. I don't have a lot of hope that the booties will work. We're planning on using two of our own vehicles, and leapfrogging with them, actually heading north by hiking south. That will give us a chance every few days or weeks to evaluate him and us both.
Keep the information coming, good or bad, I'm appreciating it!

No one has the intentions of breaking their dog down on the trail, its going to happen on its own. My blunt response is leave the dog at home, simplify your hike by eliminating both vehicles and once on the trail, learn to HYOH. Happy trails

Cheyou
01-10-2017, 12:24
[QUOTE=Gambit McCrae;2118333]No one has the intentions of breaking their dog down on the trail, its going to happen on its own. My blunt response is leave the dog at home, simplify your hike by eliminating both vehicles and once on the trail, learn to HYOH. Happy trails[/

Saw many dogs on the trail . Old ones ,young ones , the owners looked worse off then the dog. UFO carried his and his dogs food . Canned and dry food . He took great care of his dog . Had to lift the dog up in the giant rock areas in NY. He stayed away from shelters so not to bother others. Lots more work and weight to hike w a dog.

No way I would b having car and leap froging w them .

But in the end we all do what we want and Hike our own hike.

Venchka
01-10-2017, 13:16

Factual and realistic will prepare you better.
Please read the GSMNP rules for thru hikers (permits, Shelton, etc.) and dogs on the trails.
Have a great trip.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Venchka
01-10-2017, 13:18
Factual and realistic will prepare you better.
Please read the GSMNP rules for thru hikers (permits, Shelton, etc.) and dogs on the trails.
Have a great trip.
Wayne

Looks like I'm late to the party.
Disregard my previous transmission.
Wayne

IslandPete
01-10-2017, 13:20
We live on an island, or on a sailboat sometimes for 6 or 7 months, or in an RV camping and hiking everyday, or traveling around in small airplanes. All would be simplified by not having a dog. But we have a dog...
The 2 vehicle plan is a question mark. Part of it is the dog. We won't be staying in shelters, or likely Hostels or Hotels in town with him. Hitch hiking with him would be difficult. And like many have pointed out, bringing him brings the whole possibility of our success into question, which means not knowing where we'll be if we stop early. So we'll have our own transportation and hotel room/shower on wheels available. We'll also be able to take side trips to visit friends and family.
And we're looking forward to it!
Pete

Slo-go'en
01-10-2017, 13:43
Ahh, the plot thickens. As it usually does. Two cars eh?

I kept running into an older couple on the trail last year doing something similar. They would drive to opposite ends of a section and one would hike south, the other north (each had a set of keys for both cars just in case), then meet back up at a hostel or motel for the night. They never spent a night in the woods. They were both strong hikers and covered a lot of ground in a day, but still it's an expensive way to do the trail. Since I'd always run into one or the other about noon, I tried to talk them into bringing me lunch, but they would have none of that :)

I guess your planning on doing bigger sections then the above example, but shuttling cars around takes time - a lot of time in some areas since it can be a long way around by road. First you have to drive back to the car at the end you left one at, then drive both cars up to the next spot you want to end at, then drive back to where you got off to begin with. Plus you need to do other chores like wash clothes, buy food, get a shower and so on.

And one other note, in the SNP dogs are required to be on a leash at all times. This can be a real pain, especially when the dog wants to run off and chase a squirrel or a deer or a bear or get into a fight with another dog. But the leash requirement protects the wildlife, your dog and other hikers. I forget the exact figure, but something like 1/4 of the AT requires dogs to be on leash. Of course, most don't bother which gives hikers with dogs a bad reputation. And there aren't any signs, so you have to find out what areas require leashes on your own.

I tripped and fell and broke my left cervical once (but not while hiking!). I have a big bump where it healed right where my pack strap rides. It can get sore at times, but I guess it's been long enough now I really don't notice it much anymore and keeping the pack under 20 pounds or so helps.

Bad ankles is more of a concern. If an injury puts your off the trail, it is most commonly a foot, ankle or knee problem. For feet, it's usually blister problems and if one gets infected, that's real trouble. It only takes one miss step on a wet rock, water bar or wet leaves to twist an ankle or smash a knee cap or tear a ACL. Knowing how to fall down without hurting yourself is an important skill to have. When I come close to rolling an ankle, it's always on the easy straight a ways. I'll step on some damn little loose rock on the trail I didn't see and nearly bite it.

Slo-go'en
01-10-2017, 14:03
Actually, hitch hiking with a dog and a woman makes it easier. Lots of dog lovers out there and if you have a dog, you can't be all that bad. That's why a lot of the transits travel with a dog. Easier to get rides and hand outs that way. It's illegal to hitch hike in some states (like NJ/NY) but it's usually not a problem near the trail going in or out of the near-by town.

Many hostels and hotels allow dogs, some with restrictions and extra fees, but not banned outright. However keeping your dog away from shelters (or at least out of) is appreciated, especially if it's wet or dinner time. Dogs are always hungry and get really hungry on the trail after a few days, so begging and/or stealing food from other hikers can be an issue if your not careful.

jj dont play
01-10-2017, 14:04
You will likely have a decent amount of NOBOs around right off the back, and/or many will catch-up to you by Katahdin. Your plan seems mostly solid. Research dogs on trail as much as possible, a lot of folks brought them almost none of these finished with them. VT mud isn't that big of a deal (I hit Vermont around same time you are projected to maybe a little earlier). Part of the experience. Mud in the Whites was actually worse IMO. Black flies were a non issue, I was told by a local thru hikers exaggerate them. I seriously can't remember a run in with them. You'll be good on temps, if it's anything like last year you may not even need a puffy for your first leg North and a 40 degree bag should more than suffice.

jj dont play
01-10-2017, 14:06
Oh yeah you'll probably even hit the SOBO bubble in the Whites making work for stay in huts even harder.

IslandPete
01-10-2017, 14:23
Our variation on the 2 cars is that one's an RV! And rather than re-positioning both at each section, the plan is to leave one at the starting point, say Harpers Ferry, and drive north to say Carlisle PA. We'll hike back to where we started, SOBO, and hop in the vehicle and drive maybe a hundred miles past where we started the last time, then hike back, SOBO, to the other vehicle. In other words, covering the trail northbound by hiking southbound? The lengths of the hops will be determined by the towns along the way where we can safely park. And provisioning along the way will be easy, we'll just hit the market along the way to the next parking spot, and we're ready to go! At least that's the thinking? Ideas?
Pete

Gambit McCrae
01-10-2017, 14:51
Our variation on the 2 cars is that one's an RV! And rather than re-positioning both at each section, the plan is to leave one at the starting point, say Harpers Ferry, and drive north to say Carlisle PA. We'll hike back to where we started, SOBO, and hop in the vehicle and drive maybe a hundred miles past where we started the last time, then hike back, SOBO, to the other vehicle. In other words, covering the trail northbound by hiking southbound? The lengths of the hops will be determined by the towns along the way where we can safely park. And provisioning along the way will be easy, we'll just hit the market along the way to the next parking spot, and we're ready to go! At least that's the thinking? Ideas?
Pete

Island Pete after this plan:

IslandPete
01-10-2017, 15:06
I don't get it...

Lone Wolf
01-10-2017, 15:11
I don't get it...

me either....

Slo-go'en
01-10-2017, 15:15
A lot of the parking areas along the trail are small and remote and may not be suitable for a RV. I guess it depends on how big an RV it is. If it's a van sized one, that would be okay. Vandalism can be an issue too, but doesn't seem to be a big problem in most areas.

Personally, I don't like to carry more then 5 days of food. In fact, I can't carry more then 5 days due to my pack size, even if the weight wasn't an issue - and it is.

So, if you want to cover 100 miles at a time, you'll need to carry at least 5 days worth of food (20 mile days, a bit optimistic with a wife, dog and not being 20 years old), so more likely 7 days of food. At about 2 pounds a day, pre person plus dog food, you look at heading out with 30-35 pounds of food. That makes for a heavy load for the first 3-4 days.

But I suppose you don't have to carry all the food you need between car shuttles. It's easy enough find places to buy food every couple of days. That would be better then doing shorter hops and more frequent shuttles.

IslandPete
01-10-2017, 15:26
But I suppose you don't have to carry all the food you need between car shuttles. It's easy enough find places to buy food every couple of days. That would be better then doing shorter hops and more frequent shuttles.
Exactly! The 100 mile number was arbitrary. I'd rather find a safe place in a town to park than a trailhead, at least for the RV. Or where I have friends near the trail. So that will determine the number and length of the jumps. In between, we'll be hiking/provisioning just like everybody else, just going the opposite direction...

Tinker
01-10-2017, 15:28
I don't really like liners. They tend to be either heavy or not as advertised temp-wise, in my experience
I would rather take a 40 bag and some decent clothes (since you can wear them in camp as well if it's chilly), a light beanie if you want, etc. Should be at least a proper EN 40f rating for your wife... some stuff claims 40 and is more a 50+. You could go 30 if she might sleep cold. That wouldn't be too bad in the summer, based on where you'll be, if you vent it well

If it gets cold at the end it's not a big deal. You can pick up something in October or whenever you need it. Like a cheap light puffy jacket or something

Another thumbs down on liners. They have only one use, better to have down sleepwear (expensive, but very light, compact, and warm), silk underwear (light, comfy, compact, but not very warm), polyester or wool underwear (warmer than silk, but wool is a bit slower to dry than poly, and may be itchy), or my favorite for the "shoulder seasons", lightweight fleece "dorm wear" (my term) - no obvious fly, or at least a button-down one, and a button or zip top. Micro fleece packs reasonably well, can be worn in public, is fairly warm, and dries quickly once wrung out. The plus on all of the above is the "in-and out-of bag" use, plus the fact that, unless your liner is tied into the bag, it is likely to come partway out with you and you will likely have to take it out to get back into it. Your timeframe seems reasonable, your dog, of course, being the greatest variable. Starting in the middle section will allow your bodies to acclimate before you get into the steep sections. Pa. might not be quite as dry as it tends to be in the fall, either (I use my tarp or poncho to gather rain water when I can). Vehicle access is a real plus here.

Gambit McCrae
01-10-2017, 15:31
I just think its a lot of up and down and logistics. Effort isn't worth the extra reward, all the time and energy shuffling cars could just be absorbed in relaxing in a motel directly on the trail, Seems kind of like a mix between thru hiking and section hiking. An RV is an extension of ones residents, and there for to me the plan seems like a goose chase, trying to find the (if you bump the car every 200 miles with an RV then your looking at 11-22 Trail heads?) Not saying its not feasible because it obviously is....Just asking why reinvent the wheel, especially when its your first time thru hiking

Tinker
01-10-2017, 15:34
Oh, from experience - Southbound hiking has left me with sunburn on several occasions. I prefer to do sections Northbound, when possible.

IslandPete
01-10-2017, 15:47
I get your point, and between now and May the plan may be changed/modified. That's why I'm here!

IslandPete
01-10-2017, 15:49
And Tinker, We will be hiking northbound, just not till we're headed south ;)

hyperslug
01-10-2017, 16:20
I'm curious what length RV you have? If it is bigger than a van you may have trouble parking in towns especially as you move north. If you have to arrange for storage as you go that can suck more time and money.

peakbagger
01-10-2017, 16:26
I have done the two cars slackpacking on a few trips. e did a 5 week section hike where we split it up 3 to 4 day backpacks spotting a car in advance at the end of each section. We would start early on the last day and get to the car around noon, then go eat lunch in town, resupply wash clothes and then hit a hostel or motel and possibly spot a car. In the AM we would drive to the trailhead and start hiking, we never had any zeros and out resupply was cheap as we could buy bulk and leave it in the trunk. The person I had done much of the trail had an ankle issue. If he carried a full pack he was hurting in couple of days. Slackpacking he did fine. We eventually switched to key swapping with one car. It was the way to go. We hiked a bit off season and if the weather was bad one day, we might skip an exposed or scenic section and then come back and do it on a nicer day. I relied on Delorme Map Gazetteers for each state down south where its more rural it made for far easier planning. I would not trust the various car nav databases as they are generally out of date for rural areas. Many of the FS road crossings on the AT start out on local roads and in some cases they go right through farm yards before the reach FS property. Its easy to miss turns onto these roads as you think they are someone's driveway. Many of the southern AT shelters are readily accessible from FS roads, The Delormes show the AT route so its pretty easy to find the shelter location with trail maps and line it up with an old FS road or pullout. We would stay in AT shelters accessed from a side road many nights if we were too far away from a town or hostel. Since we were off season we frequently had the shelters to ourselves. We usually cleaned out the firepits of the inevitable aluminum foil and hauled trash out when we left in the morning. With the exception of the smokies it was rare to find a section where we couldn't find few good road crossings. What most conventional thru hikers miss is that while they are hiking the green tunnel of the AT, car supported lets you see the surrounding territory, some of the roads south of the smokies are far nicer places to see then the AT. With a car or cars we got to see both plus we spread the wealth around a bit stopping at places that normally would be a bit too far for a thru hiker to visit.

By the way if both of you are competent drivers, key swapping with one car is definitely worth investigating. The AT isn't such a wild place that a solo day hiker can get in much trouble and a couple of FRS radios would be good backup. Just drop one person off at one trailcrossing with the other hiker driving 14 to 18 trail miles south and then both hikers meet in the middle for lunch. In the afternoon the hiker that ends up at the car drives back and picks up the one at the road crossing. We used a Honda Civic and rarely if ever has issue going up back roads. Once you get up into Maine the drives can get far longer but by then you will be used to it.

IslandPete
01-10-2017, 17:05
Hyper, the RV is full sized, 36'. I agree it will take some head scratching sometimes to figure out where to leave it. The "toad" is a Ranger pickup which will be easier.
Peak, Not really planning on it being slackpacking, but it could evolve in that direction sometimes. Other times, the section could be 200 miles or more depending on the logistics of finding a suitable parking spot. The key swap idea doesn't appeal, as we want to hike together.