PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Layer

trailmercury
01-09-2017, 15:06
I'm planning on having a separate baselayer to use only as sleepwear when I leave Springer 4/3...
I will then switch out to a T-shirt and boxer brief combo when the weather warms up...
What material do you recommend?
Merino, Capilene/synthetic, or silk
I am split between Patagonia midweight merino vs Patagonia midweight Capilene
In the past I have used polypro, but I want to go in a different direction this time!

THANKS!

kevperro
01-09-2017, 15:21
I'm planning on having a separate baselayer to use only as sleepwear when I leave Springer 4/3...
I will then switch out to a T-shirt and boxer brief combo when the weather warms up...
What material do you recommend?
Merino, Capilene/synthetic, or silk
I am split between Patagonia midweight merino vs Patagonia midweight Capilene
In the past I have used polypro, but I want to go in a different direction this time!

THANKS!

I am assuming you are doing it to control the stink in the fart-sack. I'm gross.... I just embrace the funk. But if you want to try and maintain some sort of civilized odor inside your bag you probably want to stick with the Merino wool.

LongBlaze2019
01-09-2017, 15:28
I keep a cotton t-shirt to sleep in as well as a pair of light weight pants or shorts (depends on the weather) to sleep in. I also use a lightweight sleeping bag liner to control the funk. It's easier to wash than my bag lol

Sent from my N9519 using Tapatalk

nsherry61
01-09-2017, 15:29
I find wool to be the warmer and nicer next-to-skin layer when wear, tear, and wet are not issues, as in sleepwear.
Silk is nicer next to skin, but not as warm.
Synthetic has more static, and isn't as warm next to skin when slightly damp.
Wool, of course, manages long-term stink better.

I prefer synthetic for my working base-layer because it wears much better and dries much more quickly than wool. And that little extra warmth when damp isn't an issue when I am putting out high BTUs during the day where being able to dry quickly is more important to me that damp next-to-skin warmth. In other words, when working hard so I am drying out my base layer as I get it wet, I'd rather be dryer and warm than damp and warm.

That all being said, I also don't believe in using separate sleep cloths. More weight. More cloths to change before crawling into bed.
Since I manage my sweating pretty closely when cold outside, I don't go to bed with wet cloths and if I have a bad evening and have wet cloths, I can always put a hot water bottle into my bag when I go to bed and my thin base layers will be nice and dry and comfy in short order thanks to my combined body heat and bottle heat.

trailmercury
01-09-2017, 16:04
My rationale for this luxury:
1. alway having a dry set of something
2. Stink factor
3. longevity of the quilt and pad

ScareBear
01-09-2017, 18:55
I'm with you.
But, I stick to syns. No reason for cotton on the AT...

rafe
01-09-2017, 19:10
I carry a silk base layer that I use strictly at camp and for sleeping.

jimmyjam
01-09-2017, 19:14
I carry a silk base layer that I use strictly at camp and for sleeping.

Same here. If its cold in town I will wear them under a pair of shorts and synthetic T shirt.

bigcranky
01-09-2017, 20:48
I love merino wool for my sleeping layer.

Secondmouse
01-11-2017, 23:16
I sleep with a quilt so any season other than summer it's nice to have long sleeves and something on my legs. if it's cold enough to need a base-layer under my hiking clothes I just use a spare set of that in the same weight...

Dogwood
01-12-2017, 01:07
4 oz silk liner can also preserve quilt and pad.

I don't like to carry separate dedicated sleeping clothes. I'd rather carry two sets of clothes that can be hiked or slept in managing cleanliness and dryness of both. This way I'm not adding dead wt to what already amounts to a large dead wt category for 15-16 hrs per day.

If you're already anticipating carrying rainwear and/or wind jacket that is a third hiking or sleeping apparel set-up.

Keeping reasonably clean pre sleep isn't as hard on a thru as some make it out to be. If in doubt a 1 oz amount of Wet Wipes helps.

If you're thinking of sleeping apparel in terms of supplementing warmth to your sleep system/quilt than again pick pieces that add to the versatility of being employed when you're hiking too.ie; silk wt bottoms(shorts can be worn over these or they can be worn under rain pants in cooler temps on those erratic April weather days), separate pr of socks of different type than the second pr, LS 1/2 zip mid wt combined with a tee or vest. Also think of apparel in terms of how it might address drafts with the quilt.

Dogwood
01-12-2017, 01:14
For the AT April- May wetness and varying weather merino would be my choice. Later, if I was for some unknown reason carrying dedicated sleep wear, I'd go with odor diminishing synthetic Capilene or Patagonia's merino which is a blend of merino and Capilene which cuts down on the stink factor.

Get to know how to wash your quilt. I don't hesitate washing any of my sleeping bags or quilts on a thru-hike.

Engine
01-12-2017, 07:01
I carry a lightweight Capilene baselayer that is 90% dedicated to sleeping. It's rare I would ever wear the top for anything else as I have a synthetic T-shirt and a midweight top for hiking. The bottoms are the only insulating layer I carry for my legs, so if it's really cold I'll use them during they day on occassion

AllDownhillFromHere
01-12-2017, 11:30
silk liner + naked sleeping, unless you're in the Smokies, and then put on everything you own to avoid freezing to death

poolskaterx
01-12-2017, 21:56
I switched out to merino for sleeping a few years ago and I will never go back; keeps me comfortable in all temps. Always got too sweaty in synthetic.