PDA

View Full Version : REI return, is it ok?

Maineiac64
01-09-2017, 20:01
I am thinking of returning my osprey ag 65 as I now see that lighter gear is the best way to go and makes a big difference. I have used this pack a few times and its essentially new. If I return it for the refund so I can get a different model from another place is it bad or should i just sell and take loss myself?

ralph23
01-09-2017, 20:14
Their return policy is obviously extremely liberal. But if I was confronted with your decision I wouldn't return it based on what you have said. There is nothing wrong with it, you just don't wan't it anymore. That's not a legitimate return.

gpburdelljr
01-09-2017, 20:15
Yes, it is wrong.

Feral Bill
01-09-2017, 20:17
You used it and find it does not meet your needs. REI policy says this is okay. If you had worn it out, or bought it for a trip, intending to return it afterwards, you would be gaming REI, with is us, your fellow members. As an aside, they sent me the wrong pack (not what they ordered). When I returned it to my local store, they found no record of the reorder, and ordered again. I now have two of the (hopefully) correct packs on the way for the price of one. One will be going back.

MuddyWaters
01-09-2017, 20:28
I think the question is...were you satisified with it after using it?

Not...will you be satisified with it forever and ever and ever.

No one will be satisfied with something forever, needs and wants change.
Would you return shoes because your foot got bigger after using them 6 months?

But...thats their problem. If they are willing to take it back, send it back if thats what you want to do.

SkeeterPee
01-09-2017, 21:56
I am thinking of returning my osprey ag 65 as I now see that lighter gear is the best way to go and makes a big difference. I have used this pack a few times and its essentially new. If I return it for the refund so I can get a different model from another place is it bad or should i just sell and take loss myself?

Not going to say whether it is wrong or not. Personally I would just keep it as there will be trips where 65L is useful, or it could be a good pack to have and invite a friend to come along. I also use a pack filled with bags of rice and other stuff to get a good workout so I would keep it for that. But not saying you should.

Aside all of those reasons why a second pack is not a bad thing, Consider are you sure a lighter pack will be comfortable. That pack gets pretty good comfort review. Hate to see you send it back only to buy it again in 3 months. :)

4eyedbuzzard
01-09-2017, 22:09
It's kind of a gray area ethically. It's not like the pack is defective. You used it several times. And it met your needs and performed until you decided to change your hiking style. Which most of us do at some point. REI had to change its return policy a few years back due to a small % of members essentially using it as a free gear rental source. The impact on revenues/profits was substantial, given that gear is a low margin business, especially nowadays with internet shopping. There's that line between legal and ethical that we all have to choose and then live with ourselves.

Just my opinion, but I think using the return as a store credit to purchase replacement or other gear or supplies is a nice compromise. ;)

Obiwan
01-09-2017, 23:13
What is that age old question...if you are asking yourself if it is wrong you have already answered the question....something like that :-)

TNhiker
01-09-2017, 23:20
just sell it for a good price and use the money for the new pack.......

lesliedgray
01-09-2017, 23:21

Interesting.. i received the osprey AG 50 liter pack for Christmas and returned it for the 65 liter.. i reasoned that i don't have to fill it up, but i liked the exterior features the bigger one has..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScareBear
01-10-2017, 04:25
It is a privilege of being a co-op member. Don't abuse it.

That being said, if you've never taken advantage of the return policy in the past, and you've been a long-time member, I say go for it. IMHO, the only grey area is returning it and then not replacing it with a product from REI...

brswan
01-10-2017, 07:41
It's good that you reached out for advice on this. REI used to have a great return policy, but due to people abusing it, that policy became what it is now. Still a great policy, but if people continue to use it as not intended, it may also go away.

This is a gray area, but I say if the pack performed as you expected, then you should sell it for a profit. Your reason to return is that there are better options out there, which to me, doesn't indicate that the equipment was a failure or didn't suite your needs. There will always be new and better equipment.

Best of luck with your choice.

Tuckahoe
01-10-2017, 08:16
Notwithstanding REI's generous return policy, I personally believe that returns should only be made when a product is defective or breaks under warrenty, etc. It is wrong to seek to make a return simply because tastes or preferences have changed.

MtDoraDave
01-10-2017, 08:24
I've got a 60 liter for summer and a 75ish liter REI Mars for winter. My winter sleeping bag and extra clothes needed for cold weather trips require me to use a larger backpack on cold weather trips. Perhaps the OP should consider keeping his REI pack for this reason... and the other reasons listed: for a friend, as a spare, etc.
The saying around here is HYOH, but Shakespeare said "To thine own self be true". If I was talked into a product by a REI employee and it turned out to be wrong for me, I would exchange it at REI for another product. If I chose the product myself and later decided to go ultralight with all my gear, I wouldn't make REI eat the cost of a pack since neither they nor their product did anything wrong.

Traveler
01-10-2017, 08:49
Adding to many of the above posts I will offer a simple bromide, "if there's a doubt, there is no doubt". There is an underlying doubt since you ask the question if the pack should be returned since is not due to product failure or dissatisfaction with it during use, but a different pack is wanted now.

Most people who are into this activity with any seriousness have several packs that are used for different types of hiking or as loaner packs. If you don't want to have different gear for different circumstances and its "essentially new" and relatively unblemished, you should be able to get a significant percentage of your investment back and use it towards your next investment.

Hikingjim
01-10-2017, 09:00
I disagree with taking used stuff back because you just changed your mind.
Yes, a grey area, so this is pure opinion:
When it's unused at all, no problem. If you try it and it's flawed or just doesn't work for you, no problem. But if something new comes out or you decided you didn't research what you wanted enough (and it's used), then I wouldn't return. We've all bought stuff that wasn't wise, and luckily yours is something with good resale value or other purposes.

Don H
01-10-2017, 09:17
REI policy:
"100% Satisfaction GuaranteedWe stand behind everything we sell. If you are not satisfied with your REI purchase, you can return it for a replacement or refund within one year of purchase.
REI’s guarantee doesn’t cover ordinary wear and tear or damage caused by improper use or accidents.
If your item has a manufacturing defect in its materials or workmanship, you can return it at any time."

If you bought the pack less than a year ago I would say it's OK to return according to their policy. Wether it's the right thing to do or not is up to you.

Starchild
01-10-2017, 09:18
That (the OP's posting) is the exact reason for the REI satisfaction guarantee return policy and why one shops at REI and how one is suppose to shop at REI and one of the main reasons for shopping at REI.

FreeGoldRush
01-10-2017, 09:25
I have worked in IT in the retail industry. Large retailers track purchases/returns and blacklist outliers. I am not familiar with any REI specific procedures. There is no way to know when you have crossed the line. It's all figured out algorithmically based on average customer behavior and metrics the retailers set. This is not something the employees at a particular store are likely familiar with as the "blacklist" part of the equation is implemented rather deceptively.

Just use common sense. Personally, I would not return even a lightly used item if the only issue with it was a change in my personal preference.

FreeGoldRush
01-10-2017, 09:26
That (the OP's posting) is the exact reason for the REI satisfaction guarantee return policy and why one shops at REI and how one is suppose to shop at REI and one of the main reasons for shopping at REI.

It is certainly the sales pitch their employees are trained to present to customers. The back office part of the retail industry is not nearly as cheerful and understanding. :)

colorado_rob
01-10-2017, 09:57
Tough call, right on the edge, but after remembering that REI is a "co-op" as opposed to a "normal" retail outlet, I'd personally be OK with returning it. They will eventually sell it at their used gear sale, and probably just about break even on the overall sale, and allowing you this generous return pays dividends with your customer satisfaction, making it more likely you'll be a faithful customer.

Here is their (REI's) words on their being a "co-op", for whatever they are worth:

"REI started as a cooperative, or co-op, in 1938 and we've stayed true to that business structure ever since.

Being a consumer co-op, rather than a publicly-traded company, enables us to focus on the long-term interests of the co-op and our members. We answer to you—our members—and run our business accordingly. And it means that we're able to operate a business that plays a vital national role in growing outdoor participation and protecting the environment for future generations."

Traveler
01-10-2017, 10:03
Good thing few restaurants are co-ops, imagine the return problems from fickle consumers who want the meal served at the next table after taking a bite out of a hamburger they ordered.

colorado_rob
01-10-2017, 10:21
Good thing few restaurants are co-ops, imagine the return problems from fickle consumers who want the meal served at the next table after taking a bite out of a hamburger they ordered.I don't get this analogy AT ALL, but I'm pretty sure any decent restaurant I've ever eaten at would have brought me a different meal if I took a bite out of the original and told the server I just plain didn't like it. I have done this on extremely rare occasions.

Traveler
01-10-2017, 10:24
I don't get this analogy AT ALL, but I'm pretty sure any decent restaurant I've ever eaten at would have brought me a different meal if I took a bite out of the original and told the server I just plain didn't like it. I have done this on extremely rare occasions.

But would they have taken it back if there was nothing wrong with the meal only that you decided the other meal looked better?

ScareBear
01-10-2017, 10:28
Only if you had to pay a fee to join the restaurant co-op and were OK with paying top-dollar for food with only brand-name ingredients...

colorado_rob
01-10-2017, 10:32
But would they have taken it back if there was nothing wrong with the meal only that you decided the other meal looked better?Sure, restaurants do this, I've seen it many times (my mom was famous for this, kinda bugged me personally, my dad would roll his eyes...)

MuddyWaters
01-10-2017, 10:46
I don't get this analogy AT ALL, but I'm pretty sure any decent restaurant I've ever eaten at would have brought me a different meal if I took a bite out of the original and told the server I just plain didn't like it. I have done this on extremely rare occasions.

Yeah..after a bite or 2

Not after you eat the whole thing

Traveler
01-10-2017, 10:47
I guess thats why they are called ethics, everyone decides for themselves what is right or wrong presuming laws are not involved.

colorado_rob
01-10-2017, 10:58
Yeah..after a bite or 2

Not after you eat the whole thingSure, and if there is an actually analogy here**, that would be completely wearing out a pack, then returning it for a different model. For example, buying the 65L Osprey, using it for a full AT thru, then returning it , fairly worn, within that year. That (again, to me and my ethics) would be unethical. In this case, the customer "took a bite or two" with his Osprey.

** In this "restaurant analogy", either eating one bite or most of the meal then returning it, the restaurant loses the cost of the entire meal. In all the shaky dives I've ever eaten at, never have I been served a burger with a single bite out if it...

SkeeterPee
01-10-2017, 11:07
Sure, and if there is an actually analogy here**, that would be completely wearing out a pack, then returning it for a different model. For example, buying the 65L Osprey, using it for a full AT thru, then returning it , fairly worn, within that year. That (again, to me and my ethics) would be unethical. In this case, the customer "took a bite or two" with his Osprey.

** In this "restaurant analogy", either eating one bite or most of the meal then returning it, the restaurant loses the cost of the entire meal. In all the shaky dives I've ever eaten at, never have I been served a burger with a single bite out if it...

At the last REI garage sale there were two packs that had a phone number written on both and both looked like they had ben used for at least one through hike if not more. It did make me wonder who would return them.

Offshore
01-10-2017, 11:11
Tough call, right on the edge, but after remembering that REI is a "co-op" as opposed to a "normal" retail outlet, I'd personally be OK with returning it.

REI being a Co-op is exactly why I wouldn't return it. As I member, I'd not want to screw other members (or be screwed by them). The pack is fine, the backpacker evolved. How is that different from buying all your kids clothing at REI or LL Bean and just returning them as they grew and needed larger sizes? (Answer: not very).

Offshore
01-10-2017, 11:12
REI being a Co-op is exactly why I wouldn't return it. As I member, I'd not want to screw other members (or be screwed by them). The pack is fine, the backpacker evolved. How is that different from buying all your kids clothing at REI or LL Bean and just returning them as they grew and needed larger sizes? (Answer: not very).

Returning the clothing - not the kids!

nsherry61
01-10-2017, 11:51
Only if you had to pay a fee to join the restaurant co-op and were OK with paying top-dollar for food with only brand-name ingredients...
I'm sorry. I just don't get this view of/attitude toward REI.

1) REI's return policy is independent of whether or not you are a member.
2) The membership is currently $20 for a lifetime membership. They could give it away for all they ask of their members, but instead, I assume, they'd like to limit their membership to people that actually want to be a member of the co-op instead of just everyone that walks in the door and wants a deal.
3) From the time I was in high school, REI has made available a line of REI branded product that was decent quality (instead of state-of-the-art) and significantly more affordable than "the brand names". I thought they did, and think they do, an admirable job helping to keep affordable, acceptable quality, products available instead of only higher priced brand names or relatively junky knockoffs.
4) REI charges regular retail level prices for their products and stands behind them absolutely.
5) Gosh, darn, they don't match the prices at Walmart, or GI Joes (oh, they don't exist any more), or Sports Authority (oh, they don't exist any more either) because instead they choose to carry reliable product and provide exceptional customer service.
6) Then, on top of all that, REI gives it's members 10% back as profit sharing, on anything that wasn't already bought on sale.

Just because a company (REI in this case) doesn't race to the bottom by matching prices, doesn't mean customers don't get extremely high value for their money if not higher return on their investment in the long run by buying product that is reliable, lasts reasonably well and is supported by generous return policies if any mistakes are made.

On top of all that, when REI is profitable at the end of the year, after paying dividends to members, the profits go back to our communities to support access to outdoor places. I'm happy to hedge my spending choices to support a company that will remain in business into the future and then shares its excesses, when they have them, to support the things I care about.

Yeah, I've drunk the cool-aid. I dreamed through REI catalogs and a child and sold against REI in the outdoor industry for years. They are a great company with huge and deserved customer (member) loyalty. If all you want is the cheapest price, go to Walmart and get you you deserve!

Feral Bill
01-10-2017, 11:59
REI, Bean, and others have good return policies for a reason. Distance retailing, whether by mail, phone, or on line, is risky for customers. Their policy keeps sales up, enabling them to better serve their members. I do not see the OP as abusing this policy, though I suppose a reasonable person might disagree. I suspect many potential, reasonable returns never happen, just because people don't bother (done this myself). REI management says you have a year to decide if you like something, I'm pretty sure they mean it.

nsherry61
01-10-2017, 12:27
Okay, after my above diatribe, it would probably be fair for me to address the OP.

I may be a bit to philosophical on this one, but here it goes.

REI is a co-op. It is a community of people, yourself included, that support each other in making outdoor gear available (yes, and some education and adventure opportunities) to people, including, but not exclusively members.

Every dollar you spend at REI contributes to the salaries and wages of the people that produce, distribute, educate and otherwise make outdoor products available to you and others in our community.

If you return a product, for any reason, it is costing the co-op money, even if they resell the item at their garage sale for the wholesale cost of the product, that doesn't cover rent, service staff, electricity and whatnot. It costs the co-op money.

When the coop is profitable, we all get our little 10% dividend and community non-profit organizations get grants to improve public access to the outdoors.

So, when you return your backpack, you are placing your expense onto the shoulders of the rest of us. Personally, I don't mind sharing the burden, within reason, if it helps others get outside more and enjoy the outdoors more.

From a profitability point of view, I suspect that REI, as a company, would gladly accept your return if it enables you to enjoy the out of doors more and thus buy and use more REI gear in the future.

Returning the perfectly good and well designed pack to go out and buy another company's pack because you happen to like the hype surrounding the alternative, is fickle, annoying, and something REI will surely accept.

As an REI member, I would certainly prefer that you keep the REI pack, at least until you get your new "better" pack and decide that your change in preference is supported in reality and not just internet hype. Then, if you still don't want to old pack, it is less cost to the rest of us if you either keep your old pack and use it as a loaner, or you resell it yourself to someone and thus help them get into the outdoors more without costing the rest of the community.

BUT, you bought the pack originally with the right to return it for any reason (including simple buyer's remorse), and you have every right to return your pack for a full refund for up to a year. It sounds like you are genuinely trying to be ethical. Neither decision with destroy either you or REI.

Do what makes you feel best!

rickb
01-10-2017, 12:58
REI is special in the sence that by carrying a specific pack, they are recommending it to their customers.

If you purchased it online, their recommendation is to a broad community of backpackers.

If you purchased it in a store after talking over the options with the salesperson, their recommendation was to you as an individual.

Either way, REI's recommendation didn't pan out.

You have to make the decision on what's appropriate, but I would respect a decision to return it.

Of course if the salesperson told you that the pack you purchased was the perfect choice for a thru hike just so long as it was sized right, and felt good in the store the decision would be an easy one. BY the same token, if their help was limited to a discussion of the pack's color and straps and pockets, the decision would be easy.

Maineiac64
01-10-2017, 13:19
Thanks for the replies, seems like it is a toss-up to those responding as well. I have been a member of REI since 1991, 26 years and have bought all manner of gear for camping, hiking, as well as shoes, and clothing from them over that time. I have only ever returned a pillow that sucked and I got a more expensive one in replacement that same visit. I was disappointed in the help I got in looking at backpacks, the salesperson knew less than I did about the subject and I had just did some research online. Couldn't answer why a pack was labeled 55+10 instead of 65. I do like the pack, it has the features I signed up for, is comfortable, etc. The main reason to switch is that I want a lighter pack. I am still mulling this one, still not sure what to do.

Time Zone
01-10-2017, 13:23
It's such an interesting question. It's been addressed by some NPR podcasts like Planet Money and most recently, This American Life:
https://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/591/transcript
(scroll to "Act Two: Bean Counter")

While agree that this is a matter of personal ethics and not law, and that I couldn't live with myself for returning something that wore out from "normal wear and tear" and just claim I was unsatisfied, it's definitely a grey area when you get some use out of something and discover it's not for you, such as that you erred in your selection criteria and didn't discover your error until you used it.

For purposes of the debate I think it's worth putting forth a stronger version of the argument that it's OK to return it and sleep well at night. One stronger version of this argument is this: REI is run by intelligent grown-ups, and it's their job to set a returns policy that they can live with in the long run. It's not the job of the customer to accept less in the way of benefits than that REI offers them. If it's too much for REI to bear, they should change the policy. Another argument is that customers may pay a little more at REI specifically to cover instances like this, where used gear is returned within the defined returns period under the satisfaction guarantee. Again, it's give and take - people pay more than the lowest they possibly could find elsewhere, in order to have this benefit when they need it.

The podcast transcript above probably makes these and other arguments better than I am here.

That said, I don't subscribe to that argument, because if everyone engaged in that return behavior, the returns policy would prove untenable and you might end up with one so restrictive that everyone is worse off. Thus, a liberal return policy relies upon keeping the % of people trying to get every last entitlement out of it down to some small number. Beyond that figure, the policy becomes untenable, and it has to be tightened. I really am not sure where I fall on your particular case. On the one hand, I think if the item can't be sold as new because you got some use out of it, you shouldn't be able to return it for a full refund. On the other hand, REI specifically has a business model that deals with these situations (garage sale). So again, REI is run by grown ups, who probably have a lot more knowledge about what return policy the company needs to survive and thrive than you do. You don't need to feel sorry for them.

Still, I think it is in your long-term interest to be as fair and reasonable as possible to both sides, for reasons stated above. Just because you can do something doesn't mean it's wise to do it.

TNhiker
01-10-2017, 13:31
Either way, REI's recommendation didn't pan out.

OP never said he/she bought it from a recommendation of an employee at REI

Cheyou
01-10-2017, 13:38
go to Walmart and get you you deserve!

wow

thom

MuddyWaters
01-10-2017, 13:43
Thanks for the replies, seems like it is a toss-up to those responding as well. I have been a member of REI since 1991, 26 years and have bought all manner of gear for camping, hiking, as well as shoes, and clothing from them over that time. I have only ever returned a pillow that sucked and I got a more expensive one in replacement that same visit. I was disappointed in the help I got in looking at backpacks, the salesperson knew less than I did about the subject and I had just did some research online. Couldn't answer why a pack was labeled 55+10 instead of 65. I do like the pack, it has the features I signed up for, is comfortable, etc. The main reason to switch is that I want a lighter pack. I am still mulling this one, still not sure what to do.

Return the pack and get on with life.
Returns are factored into business model
Its their chouce to expressly allow it
They make no distinction for degree of use, and that is intentional

Ive bought 2 things from rei. An xlite , for return policy, and a 4qt pot for scout campout, because they were the store that was nearby. When they changed return policy, I bought next xlite from llbean. On sale 20% off with lifetime guarantee no less.

If rei dissapeared, id never know it.

Seatbelt
01-10-2017, 13:49
There really is a simple solution to this: Take the pack back, present it to the return dept and tell them exactly(honestly) what you told us, then abide by their decision.

If they decide to take it back, it is their decision not yours. Just don't lie or misrepresent the truth of the situation-not insinuating that you will. JMO.

Rex Clifton
01-10-2017, 16:20
If it's in saleable condition, go for it. You need all the tags and, obviously, cannot show signs of use. One of the main reasons I shop at REI is their liberal return policy. Gear is a highly personal thing, you should get what works for you. Don't worry about buying somewhere else, REI will get your money eventually!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Time Zone
01-10-2017, 16:54
There really is a simple solution to this: Take the pack back, present it to the return dept and tell them exactly(honestly) what you told us, then abide by their decision.

If they decide to take it back, it is their decision not yours. Just don't lie or misrepresent the truth of the situation-not insinuating that you will. JMO.

^^^
This.

A point I meant to make but I got lost in the weeds w/r/t the theory. Be totally honest about all aspects (when bought, how much used, any wear/tear, why you wish to return), and ask them what your options are under their return policy. Choose one of the options offered and sleep well.

Gambit McCrae
01-10-2017, 17:25
They sell the gear you return. If you have corporate America ethics that involve not using a system that they themselves have created, your a better person then I. If they were losing money, they would change the rules.

Miner
01-10-2017, 18:58
But they have changed the rules, putting more restrictions, in recent years due to people abusing the return system. Some of us would prefer they don't change the rules again.

H I T C H
01-10-2017, 21:43
OP, is it possible for REI to order the new pack that you desire ? Forgive me if this has been asked/answered already.

Hitch

scrabbler
01-10-2017, 22:21

That is really the best answer in this thread IMO. Let them decide what they mean.

Us members can all whine that it's bad for the company, and that the old policy was abused, etc etc. I've never seen the sales/return stats, but I'm guessing, most likely correctly, that if you take less returns, your profits will go up. So when they changed that policy the common mantra was that since the #'s would be going up, REI would naturally start offering lower prices and more sales. HAHAHA. How did that work out? It didnt if you ask me. It's the same old place, with a more restrictive return policy. One I can accept, but there's no reason to get all touchy/feely about REI, they are just a corporate machine that will adjust regardless of member opinion.

Take that pack back and be honest, and accept what they say.

Brewguy
01-11-2017, 13:59
My wife just bought the same pack this summer. She was really not sure which she liked more, there were 3 she really liked. The rep was very clear, take it home, use it a few times if you think it's not what you want then please return it. He did say changing color would not be a valid return but if it wasn't meeting our needs then please return. Sounded like size, weight, fit. If you've done a few trips and figured out that the pack is heavier than you want then it's not meeting your need and it would fall into the return policy.

Gritty
01-11-2017, 18:48
Your question is "If I return it for the refund so I can get a different model from another place is it bad....." And my answer to that simply is no, not according to REI's return policy. A policy which was much more liberal a few years ago, the 1 year deadline was instituted a few years ago, prior to that a member could return an item after as many years as he or she had it.

I have been an REI member since 2004 (not long enough to have a 3 digit member #) and personally feel no allegiance to them now that the number of members are closing on on 10 million. Were I member in the 40's, 50's or 60's when being a member actually carried some weight in how the co-op conducted business I would probably be a little more hesitant about returning an item just because I didnt like it or I found something else lighter, better, cheaper, elsewhere.

In my opinion today's REI is so far removed from the REI of decades ago that it more resembles any of the other big box "sporting goods" stores and everyone who walks through he door is just another customer.

If REI would concentrate more on getting to know their members / customers and stop trying to sell fantasy to couch potatoes, if they would carry more Dyneema and Cuben Fiber backpacks, if they would get more onboard with the UL movement of today they would have less returns from backpackers.

So, yeah, take it back. And please don't think I was calling you a couch potato.

Secondmouse
01-11-2017, 21:56
just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

if I did all my own research and went in there and bought a pack that I thought would suit me, I don't think I'd feel good about taking it back when I changed my attitude.

OTOH, if I went there and asked for help deciding on what pack to buy and was recommended this one, I would exchange it without a moments thought...

nsherry61
01-12-2017, 09:28
FWIW, I found this blob post (http://www.halfwayanywhere.com/trails/pacific-crest-trail/pct-2016-survey-gear-guide/) to be most informative, especially when it came to most popular as apposed to most loved. . . two very different things.

Bronk
01-12-2017, 09:40
Sounds like you are the one that made a mistake...mistake being you didn't know what you didn't know. Some companies have return policies that allow you to make these kinds of mistakes and still return the item...they do so because it encourages people to buy. What if you were standing in the store looking at a pack and were on the edge of whether to buy it or not and a salesperson said "Tell you what, go ahead and buy it, if you decide that its not working out for you just bring it back and we'll give you a refund." Would that sway you to pull the trigger on the purchase? I haven't read REI's return policy because I don't shop there, but this may be what their policy is saying. And I'd bet for every 10 sales they make with this policy at least 9 people end up keeping the merchandise...which is why these policies make sense from a business standpoint. But if you're going to have a policy like that then you need to honor it...and from the anecdotal evidence I've seen over the years REI is very good about honoring it...and they haven't gone bankrupt doing this either, so they must know what they are doing.

Bronk
01-12-2017, 09:49
If REI would concentrate more on getting to know their members / customers and stop trying to sell fantasy to couch potatoes, if they would carry more Dyneema and Cuben Fiber backpacks, if they would get more onboard with the UL movement of today they would have less returns from backpackers.

So, yeah, take it back. And please don't think I was calling you a couch potato.I've only ever been inside an REI store one time. I'm not sure exactly what I was expecting when I went in there but it seemed to me like the store was about 90% clothing. Yes, we need outdoor clothing, but I got the sense that wasn't really what they were selling. It was the Gap or Abercrombie for people who want to look outdoorsy. They were selling fashion and had very little actual gear on the shelves.

Traveler
01-12-2017, 10:43
I've only ever been inside an REI store one time. I'm not sure exactly what I was expecting when I went in there but it seemed to me like the store was about 90% clothing. Yes, we need outdoor clothing, but I got the sense that wasn't really what they were selling. It was the Gap or Abercrombie for people who want to look outdoorsy. They were selling fashion and had very little actual gear on the shelves.

Thats odd, the REI stores I have been in have everything from clothing and outerwear to shoes/boots, packs, climbing gear, hiking gear, camping gear, sleep systems, kayaking and rafting gear, snow gear, prepackaged food and other sundry supplies, bicycles and related gear, hats, socks, and a considerable assortment of maps, pack additions/repair kits, books, magazines, and just about anything you can think of that is related to any of the above activities. Maybe they have less mountaineering and snow related gear in FL and fill space with beach wear and water activities instead.

Dogwood
01-12-2017, 11:04
You used it and find it does not meet your needs. REI policy says this is okay. If you had worn it out, or bought it for a trip, intending to return it afterwards, you would be gaming REI, with is us, your fellow members.

Bought within 1 yr not and from a Garage Sale or other restricted non returnable sale REI expressly states you can return it. Make sure you can document the purchase on your REI Membership or having your original receipt because as Miner states REI has tightened their return policy in the last 2 yrs. No proof of purchase equals no return, no gift card, and no exchange. Been there. Ate two REI brand apparel gifts.

Ethical honesty and forthrightness is that simple. No need to waver about your personal ethics.

But they have changed the rules, putting more restrictions, in recent years due to people abusing the return system. Some of us would prefer they don't change the rules again.

All this. ^^^

https://www.rei.com/help/guarantee.html

No gray area.

Starchild
01-12-2017, 11:07
I guess thats why they are called ethics, everyone decides for themselves what is right or wrong presuming laws are not involved.

Some would say that in ethics people decide for themselves, with ongoing belief, zeal, questioning and dedication what is right or wrong including when laws are involved. Or, in other words, evaluating the ethics of the law and the ethics of the principles of laws in those values.

Starchild
01-12-2017, 11:12

Boldmine

From the OP, it does not seem like the backpacker evolved, but did not know what he wanted, tried it a few times (not many) and decided that this was not the correct direction for him. This is different.

Evolved would indicate the pack fit his needs and he was comfortable with it till he 'outgrew' it. It doesn't seem to be the case here, too little time, too few uses.

Maineiac64
01-12-2017, 11:39
After thinking about it some more I am going to return the pack. The main consideration is that the return policy is a benefit to its members and I shop there knowing that I have this option. I also use LL Bean for the same reason and just exchanged hiking boots for a 1/2 size up because I asked the agent if they fit right or tight and she was incorrect.

I have not abused the REI return policy in 26 years of membership, only exchanging 1 item in all that time. In regards to the pack, there are a couple of things about the pack that I am unhappy with: 1) belt pocket zippers take two hands to close, and 2) the frame squeaks some despite adjustment and trying to lubricate it per manufacturers instructions. In fairness, the zipper issue is well known and I was aware of this when I bought it but the squeaking seems less prevalent. Those are not the main reasons for the return, I can live/fix those things but overall I really believe I will be happier with a different pack which unfortunately REI does not offer in a similar product.

I do not believe this is unethical as I am being honest and upfront with REI about why I am returning the pack. I purchased the pack honestly, I have maintained and cared for it, I have not modified it, it was not an audition among several choices, and I intended to keep it for a long time when I paid for it.

Feral Bill
01-12-2017, 13:10
I've only ever been inside an REI store one time. I'm not sure exactly what I was expecting when I went in there but it seemed to me like the store was about 90% clothing. Yes, we need outdoor clothing, but I got the sense that wasn't really what they were selling. It was the Gap or Abercrombie for people who want to look outdoorsy. They were selling fashion and had very little actual gear on the shelves.

The clothing sales subsidize the gear sales by helping pay the large fixed costs of REI stores. You can get everything you need for backpacking etc. at REI, just not everything you might want.