PDA

View Full Version : Another 2017 AT Gear List

Martzy13
01-09-2017, 21:22
Here it is. We're closing in on my March 3rd-5th NOBO start date and I'm pretty much ready to head out (gear-wise). Like many starting their first LDH, I've come in a bit heavier than I wanted, BUT this list includes a lot of cold weather gear I plan to send back home when I hit warmer weather.
I'd love to hear what y'all think of what I've collected for the trip!

A few notes:
I've got some gear yet to add including a cut-down Thermarest Z-Lite Sol, Anker 10,000mah battery, Anker wall charger, one GrizzBeak, STS e-Vent compression sack (for down gear), Marmot Precip rain pants, and a cut-down ShamWow.
I know I'm missing some weights on some items, this is because I don't own a scale, so each weight listed is what I could find listed online (I know, not the most reliable).
Ok, aaaaaaannnd GO! (Thanks in advance)

Martzy13
01-09-2017, 21:22
https://lighterpack.com/r/bgrhzh

whoops, here it is!

4eyedbuzzard
01-09-2017, 21:48
Early March start with no base layer, tops or bottoms? You could hit some really cold temps (like single digits/low teens) in the GA mountains in early March. Depending upon your pace, you could be walking with the end of winter, not walking with spring.

Feral Bill
01-09-2017, 22:44
Altra Superior 2 run 1 lb/pair. On the other hand, mine are super comfortable, thus no camp shoes.

Martzy13
01-09-2017, 23:08
I was thinking about adding a nike pro combat thermal turtleneck deal, guess I'll add it!
I haven't bought the crocs yet, so maybe I just won't!

kevperro
01-09-2017, 23:49
Pick up some cheap synthetic tops and bottoms and you should be good. You have the R1 and a down top so there is plenty of warmth there when coupled with the shell.

Try to wear only shorts and top during the hike. If it rains wear as little as you can to stay warm. Keep dry clothing for camp and remember that nothing is really warm when wet.

I'm not a hammock guy so I have no input on that.

Soggybottom
01-10-2017, 17:53
I would recommend getting out in the 20-30 degree temps because we can get snow past March in Pa. People seem to think it's warm past the Smokies/Shenandoahs. Keep your winter gear till winter is through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soggybottom
01-10-2017, 17:54
I would recommend getting out in the 20-30 degree temps because we can get snow past March in Pa. People seem to think it's warm past the Smokies/Shenandoahs. Keep your winter gear till winter is through.

Get out for a test hike that is

Martzy13
01-11-2017, 22:16
I've done a few prep hikes over this past year, mostly warmer weather, one got to the 30's. I may be living in Texas, but it can get cold at night in the desert too, so I plan at least one more 3-4 nighter out here in Palo Duro Canyon before winter gets away from us. Thanks for the responses, feel free to pick it apart.