PDA

View Full Version : cell phone power

AllDownhillFromHere
01-09-2017, 22:07
Since many phones no longer have removable batteries, how do you power your phone on long trips? Do those extra power-brick things really work? Do they work well?

4eyedbuzzard
01-09-2017, 22:17
Yes, they work pretty well. Best one IMO lately is Anker Power Core 10,000 as it supports Qualcomm quickcharge 3.0 on newer Android phones. You'll likely get 2 full charges out of it, and then have a little left but not enough for a full charge. About $30.

damskipi
01-09-2017, 22:18
Since many phones no longer have removable batteries, how do you power your phone on long trips? Do those extra power-brick things really work? Do they work well?

They are basically external batteries that work for any USB device. So yes, they work well if what you mean by that is "do they provide power?"

MuddyWaters
01-09-2017, 23:06
I leave my phone off and use it 5 min a day in the evening to send text. Even my poor battery smart phone lasts 1-2 weeks this way. My old dumb phone lasted more than a month. Ive gotten used to having internet in towns and traveling and stuff now though. Not so used to it Ill carry a half pound battery though.

LongBlaze2019
01-09-2017, 23:11
Airplane mode will be your friend.

Sent from my N9519 using Tapatalk

Engine
01-10-2017, 06:23
We carry a RAVPower model rated at 10,050 mAh and it provides almost 3 full charges for a Droid Turbo 2. It weighs 7.4 ounces and I would not carry it at all if it were just for me, but my wife uses her phone as a camera while hiking and she takes lots of photos...hard on the battery. I do wish I had gone with the Anker model which supports quickcharge though, that's a nice feature.

Does the Anker model support pass-through charging?

Cheyou
01-10-2017, 07:06
We carry a RAVPower model rated at 10,050 mAh and it provides almost 3 full charges for a Droid Turbo 2. It weighs 7.4 ounces and I would not carry it at all if it were just for me, but my wife uses her phone as a camera while hiking and she takes lots of photos...hard on the battery. I do wish I had gone with the Anker model which supports quickcharge though, that's a nice feature.

Does the Anker model support pass-through charging?

no it does not. Could use a dual wall charger I guess.

Thom

rafe
01-10-2017, 08:54

Yes, and they are cheap and widely available. A typical smartphone these days comes with a 2500-2800 mAH internal battery, so judge the external back by that number. Eg. a 10,000 mAH external pack might be good for 3, maybe 4 charges.

colorado_rob
01-10-2017, 10:05
I have the Anker version of the 10,000 mAH, and get nearly, but not quite 3 charges on my 2500 mAH phone battery (there are too many losses to get 4x2500=10,000 performance). I forget what the Anker weighs, maybe about the same, 7oz.

This all being said, for our PCT attempt, I'm going to switch back to a good old replaceable battery phone, specifically the Samsung Galaxy S5. Those extra batteries weight only 0.7 ounces each and are dirt cheap, and my non-replaceable-battery Droid has issues, and phones like the Galaxy S5 can be bought for a song.

AllDownhillFromHere
01-10-2017, 13:15
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Hi mods, please move to the Electronics forum, which I missed earlier when I posted.