PDA

View Full Version : Suunto Ambit 2

dervari
01-09-2017, 23:04
Looking at getting an Ambit 2 for tracking my hikes and uploading to MapMyFitness. Anyone out there have one that can give opinions? Pros/cons?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

Traffic Jam
01-09-2017, 23:20
Why the 2? Last time I looked, there were some great deals on the 3's.

I love my Ambit 3 Sport but it's not ideal for multi-day hikes. I had to go with the smaller watch so consequently, the battery has a shorter life.

Have you looked at DC Rainmaker's reviews?

dervari
01-10-2017, 00:26
Yea, but he didn't really go into much on hiking or MapMyFitness integration. Looking at the two because of the price point. $100 or so vs $300 for the 3. Can't really talk myself into spending that much for a GPS watch. :)

Traffic Jam
01-10-2017, 09:01
I hear you. It's a watch for the multi-sport person (imo). If you only want it for one activity, it's overkill.

Traffic Jam
01-10-2017, 09:39
Not sure if the 2 has this capability but one of the hiking-related pros of the 3 is the ability to download maps and track progress. I use this as a back-up to paper maps when I'm day hiking or cycling in an unfamiliar area.

-Rush-
01-12-2017, 07:06
Looking at getting an Ambit 2 for tracking my hikes and uploading to MapMyFitness. Anyone out there have one that can give opinions? Pros/cons?

I prefer the latest Suunto Traverse Alpha with the vertical ascent graph update.

Maineiac64
01-12-2017, 07:35
Got apple watch 2, integrates well with gaigps and walkmeter.

dervari
01-12-2017, 07:55
Got apple watch 2, integrates well with gaigps and walkmeter.
I'm an android guy and the apple watch loses a lot of functionality when used alone.

Maineiac64
01-12-2017, 09:20
I'm an android guy and the apple watch loses a lot of functionality when used alone.

For the benefit of others, the apple watch 2 has its own GPS so it can be used without the phone (but it eats battery when using GPS). It is better suited for shorter duration activities like jogging or swimming.

I don't use it alone, I turn off the watch GPS and use the phone's instead. It is very nice to keep phone in pocket or pack and be able to glance at watch for hiking statistics and map (less useful).

dervari
01-13-2017, 23:42
Found out the Suunto doesn't transfer your route to MapMyFitness so it's out. :(

Traffic Jam
01-14-2017, 11:15
Found out the Suunto doesn't transfer your route to MapMyFitness so it's out. :(

I don't know what you mean by "route" but MapMyFitness is listed under Suunto's compatable 3rd-party applications. You sync with it through Movescount. You might want to register for a Movescount account and check it out.

dervari
01-14-2017, 11:22
I don't know what you mean by "route" but MapMyFitness is listed under Suunto's compatable 3rd-party applications. You sync with it through Movescount. You might want to register for a Movescount account and check it out.
I mean the track. I want to be able to upload my hike tracks into MapMyFitness. Per MMF it will only transfer certain data, and the route isn't one of them. :(

https://support.mapmyfitness.com/hc/en-us/articles/210215053-Suunto-Movescount