PDA

View Full Version : New Guy, more questions...

IslandPete
01-11-2017, 10:35
I think we've cleared up the pros and cons of bringing my dog and my planned logistics in the other thread, so how about gear?

Packs: I read that you should buy the pack last, so you know how big you need. True? Or has the question been asked and answered enough times? I like the idea of light. I like the Exos for that reason, but the Atmos and Aether were pretty comfortable, just twice as heavy. I'd like to try on the ULA packs and maybe Gossamer Gear before making a decision. I like the Osprey Any time, Any Where, Any Reason guarantee.
Tent: Already bought. Got an REI Half Dome 2 Plus. On the heavy side, but big. There will be three of us in it with gear, and split between two packs, the weight isn't out of line. Plus REI had a great sale.
Bags: I like the EE Revelation quilts. Mummy bags feel small. We're not starting till May somewhere in the middle, and heading north. Then flipping back and heading south, hoping to be done before the end of October. Seems like we miss the coldest temps at both ends? Do we still need 30 deg bags? 20? Do liners work?

Pads: Leaning towards the Thermarest Xlite. Is the Xtherm necessary for warmth? Are there others out there just as good for less? The Thermarest's seem pricy.
That's the big four.
Pete

orthofingers
01-11-2017, 11:34
1. Everyone seems to like the Thermarest Neoair Xlite, light, comfortable, pretty tough, pricey and loud though.

2. EE Revelation is highly thought of. 20 vs. 30, I don't know. Do you sleep warm or cold?

3. Some like liners. I don't but I'm a hammock hanger.

4. Packs: as many here will tell you, a well fitting pack with good suspension system can feel more comfortable than a lighter pack. Providing you don't go crazy with a 6 pound Maxpedition combat pack, I think there is very little difference in feel between 2-3 pound COMFORTABLE pack and a 1 pound pack that fits so-so.

5. Buying pack last vs. first: Hmmm? If you initially buy a lot of "just in case" stuff which will later be discarded prior to your hike, then you'll end up with more volume that you need. If you can be ruthlessly disciplined in your approach to planning what to leave out, then I don't think it matters much. That said, if you are hiking with a dog, you'll need a bit more pack volume than hiking without.

Have a great adventure!

orthofingers
01-11-2017, 11:40
Re: the Neoair Xlite. I think, next to the Sawyer Squeeze, the Neoair is the most commonly used item by thru hikers.

Slo-go'en
01-11-2017, 13:01
Packs: The reasoning behind the "buy the pack last" is that way you know how big a pack you need to carry all the crap you just bought. Or you can buy the pack and buy stuff which will fit into it. Something in the 60L ball park works out for most people.

Osprey packs dominate at the moment and are the most common pack used on the AT in recent years. Seems 9 out of 10 hikers has a Osprey pack. But I've seen more then a few of them have problems with the suspension breaking. Osprey is good about replacing broken packs, but it's still a pain to do.

The NeoAir works good. Mine is over 8 years old with lots and lots of miles on it and still working.

I'm not convinced that a quilt has an advantage over a mummy bag. I like to be able to fully zip up the sack when it gets cold and while I don't really use the hood, it does keep my pillow in place. I use a silk liner most of the time. Adds a little warmth, keeps the bag clean, helps eliminate drafts and I would think is a must if you go the quilt route. As for temp rating, I'd go with 30.

PS, can I house sit your place on the island while your gone?

Gambit McCrae
01-11-2017, 14:18
I think we've cleared up the pros and cons of bringing my dog and my planned logistics in the other thread, so how about gear?

Packs: I read that you should buy the pack last, so you know how big you need. True?
Or has the question been asked and answered enough times? I like the idea of light. I like the Exos for that reason, but the Atmos and Aether were pretty comfortable, just twice as heavy.

I'd like to try on the ULA packs and maybe Gossamer Gear before making a decision.

I like the Osprey Any time, Any Where, Any Reason guarantee.
First hand experience, that phrase is a marketing sham. I had a thru hiking buddy, stitching fell apart on the pack after about 500 miles and they turned his nose up to him. Didn't offer any help.

Tent: Already bought. Got an REI Half Dome 2 Plus. On the heavy side, but big. There will be three of us in it with gear, and split between two packs, the weight isn't out of line. Plus REI had a great sale.
Bags: I like the EE Revelation quilts. Mummy bags feel small.
We're not starting till May somewhere in the middle, and heading north.
Then flipping back and heading south, hoping to be done before the end of October.
Seems like we miss the coldest temps at both ends?
Do we still need 30 deg bags? 20?
Do liners work? Yes but if you gauge your bag right, shouldn't really need one

Here are my recommendations that have worked for me (and sometimes my dog when he goes with me)

Tent: Hard to go wroung with either TarpTent line by Henry shires OR Zpacks. The stratospire 2 is pretty much the same design as the zpacks duplex, just different materials

Bag: I love Montbell and Western mountaineering but I would go a good 10-15* rating lower then the temps you will be sleeping in. And I would get a summer bag and a winter bag. If your not going to be on the AT Nov-March then I would get a 15-20* bag for spring and fall and something like a western mountaineering highlite for the summer.

Pack: I am a huge fan of ULA, and their customer service is great. As well I would like to try a zpacks arc.

Pad: Inflatable option: Exped has outstanding customer service, and the pads are comfy cons: Pricey and there are more durable options.
csf pad (non inflating) thermorest zlight (silver and neon yellow folding pad)

I base a lot of my gear purchases off who is going to treat me the best when I have a gear malfunction/ failure, and how comfortable the gear is vs its durability. I don't have the most durable gear but its comfy and IF something happens to it, customer service is going to help me if they can.

IslandPete
01-11-2017, 15:08
1. Everyone seems to like the Thermarest Neoair Xlite, light, comfortable, pretty tough, pricey and loud though.

2. EE Revelation is highly thought of. 20 vs. 30, I don't know. Do you sleep warm or cold?

3. Some like liners. I don't but I'm a hammock hanger.

4. Packs: as many here will tell you, a well fitting pack with good suspension system can feel more comfortable than a lighter pack. Providing you don't go crazy with a 6 pound Maxpedition combat pack, I think there is very little difference in feel between 2-3 pound COMFORTABLE pack and a 1 pound pack that fits so-so.

5. Buying pack last vs. first: Hmmm? If you initially buy a lot of "just in case" stuff which will later be discarded prior to your hike, then you'll end up with more volume that you need. If you can be ruthlessly disciplined in your approach to planning what to leave out, then I don't think it matters much. That said, if you are hiking with a dog, you'll need a bit more pack volume than hiking without.

Have a great adventure!

Re: the Neoair Xlite. I think, next to the Sawyer Squeeze, the Neoair is the most commonly used item by thru hikers.

Don't know how I sleep, but my wife says I'm warm. Wasn't sure if the Xtherm would be better than the Xlite for the R-value. The Sawyer Squeeze is already on the list. As far as the adventure goes, no question. But as a sometimes ferry pilot one of my favorite quotes is "Adventure is usually the result of poor planning"

Packs: The reasoning behind the "buy the pack last" is that way you know how big a pack you need to carry all the crap you just bought. Or you can buy the pack and buy stuff which will fit into it. Something in the 60L ball park works out for most people.

Osprey packs dominate at the moment and are the most common pack used on the AT in recent years. Seems 9 out of 10 hikers has a Osprey pack. But I've seen more then a few of them have problems with the suspension breaking. Osprey is good about replacing broken packs, but it's still a pain to do.

The NeoAir works good. Mine is over 8 years old with lots and lots of miles on it and still working.

I'm not convinced that a quilt has an advantage over a mummy bag. I like to be able to fully zip up the sack when it gets cold and while I don't really use the hood, it does keep my pillow in place. I use a silk liner most of the time. Adds a little warmth, keeps the bag clean, helps eliminate drafts and I would think is a must if you go the quilt route. As for temp rating, I'd go with 30.

PS, can I house sit your place on the island while your gone?

I'm still going back and forth on the bag/quilt question. Bags can feel claustrophobic, but I guess you could unzip and have a quilt when you wanted one? If you stayed on the island while we were gone, it would solve the whole "Don't take your dog" issue too!

Here are my recommendations that have worked for me (and sometimes my dog when he goes with me)

Tent: Hard to go wroung with either TarpTent line by Henry shires OR Zpacks. The stratospire 2 is pretty much the same design as the zpacks duplex, just different materials

Bag: I love Montbell and Western mountaineering but I would go a good 10-15* rating lower then the temps you will be sleeping in. And I would get a summer bag and a winter bag. If your not going to be on the AT Nov-March then I would get a 15-20* bag for spring and fall and something like a western mountaineering highlite for the summer.

Pack: I am a huge fan of ULA, and their customer service is great. As well I would like to try a zpacks arc.

Pad: Inflatable option: Exped has outstanding customer service, and the pads are comfy cons: Pricey and there are more durable options.
csf pad (non inflating) thermorest zlight (silver and neon yellow folding pad)

I base a lot of my gear purchases off who is going to treat me the best when I have a gear malfunction/ failure, and how comfortable the gear is vs its durability. I don't have the most durable gear but its comfy and IF something happens to it, customer service is going to help me if they can.

There are a lot of very nice VERY light tents out there! We already bought the one we have, big enough for 3, and a little heavier and more durable than some of the ultralight options. And REI had it on sale for $150!
I need to get up to GA to look at and try on the ULA packs. If they fit us well, that will probably be what we get. The Exos was pretty comfortable for me, as was the Atmos and Aether, but they're pushing 5 lbs. My wife liked a Deuter, but it's also heavy.
I'll take a look at the Exped pads.

Gambit McCrae
01-11-2017, 15:54
IMO no need to make the trip to GA, best thing is to call ULA, and they will help you out taking measurements, you can email them pictures of your body type this is what I did and had good luck with it. My comment on ULA is that they have a standard neck measurement for the straps and as a larger person I found that to be a little tight, mailed them the pack and they corrected it for me.

IslandPete
01-11-2017, 16:38
IMO no need to make the trip to GA, best thing is to call ULA, and they will help you out taking measurements, you can email them pictures of your body type this is what I did and had good luck with it. My comment on ULA is that they have a standard neck measurement for the straps and as a larger person I found that to be a little tight, mailed them the pack and they corrected it for me.
By standard neck measurement, do you mean the strap spacing? If so, that's something I'd like to talk to them about, regarding my bum collarbones...
I'll call them.

Gambit McCrae
01-11-2017, 16:44
By standard neck measurement, do you mean the strap spacing? .

Yes, the spacing between the straps was tight on me, and was actually causing a lack of blood flow. They corrected it and now the pack is close to perfect for me

IslandPete
01-12-2017, 15:05
You guys are great!
Probably going to be on the fence about the pack till we get closer. Looked up the Exped pad. Seems almost identical in specs to the Xlite and got good reviews. It is also on sale at REI, so it's on the way.
Aside from the pack, most of the big stuff is accounted for, unless I'm forgetting some big stuff. So, what might a new guy like me be forgetting?
How about the little stuff. Ursak? Necessary or not? Gaiters? Headlamps? Rainsuit vs Poncho? Guidebooks? Who likes what?

Maineiac64
01-12-2017, 16:01
Where can you look at ULA in GA?

By standard neck measurement, do you mean the strap spacing? If so, that's something I'd like to talk to them about, regarding my bum collarbones...
I'll call them.

LongBlaze2019
01-12-2017, 16:05
You guys are great!
Probably going to be on the fence about the pack till we get closer. Looked up the Exped pad. Seems almost identical in specs to the Xlite and got good reviews. It is also on sale at REI, so it's on the way.
Aside from the pack, most of the big stuff is accounted for, unless I'm forgetting some big stuff. So, what might a new guy like me be forgetting?
How about the little stuff. Ursak? Necessary or not? Gaiters? Headlamps? Rainsuit vs Poncho? Guidebooks? Who likes what?
You can't go wrong with AWOL's AT guide book.
Black Diamond makes a few great headlamps, and Dirty Girl Gaiters are pretty awesome!!

Sent from my N9519 using Tapatalk

IslandPete
01-12-2017, 16:35
Mountain Crossings in Neels Gap sells them. There's an outfitter in southern VA I believe too?

You can't go wrong with AWOL's AT guide book.
Black Diamond makes a few great headlamps, and Dirty Girl Gaiters are pretty awesome!!

Sent from my N9519 using Tapatalk
The AWOL book would have been my first choice, didn't know if there was anything else out there?
Dirty Girl Gaiters have style for sure, and the name!

Slo-go'en
01-12-2017, 17:04
I use long, knee length gaiters in the spring when the trail is wet and muddy. After it dries out I don't use them, but I always wear boots, not low cut trail runners and that makes a difference. If you wear low cut shoes, Dirty Girls are a good choice to keep crap out of the shoe.

A cheap headlight from Walmart works just fine.

There are two guides, the AWOL and the ATC companion. The companion is also available in pdf form, but if you want a phone based guide, the Guthook app is the way to go. I find the pdf guide a pain to use.

Gambit McCrae
01-12-2017, 17:07
There are two guides, the AWOL and the ATC companion. The companion is also available in pdf form, but if you want a phone based guide, the Guthook app is the way to go. I find the pdf guide a pain to use.

Agree 100% on this. I use the companion at home and to keep track of progress, but I have not never ever seena companion in use on the trail. I have see awol many times on the trail. I use gut hooks on every trip

IslandPete
01-12-2017, 17:20
Does Guthook replace the AWOL if you have the phone? Or add to it?

Venchka
01-12-2017, 17:42

Mountain Crossings on the AT.
Other dealers in the area: Little River Trading Co. Maryville, TN. , Bluff Mountain Outfitters, Hot Springs, NC, Mt Rogers Outfitters, Damascus, VA.
The dealer list is on the ULA web pages.
My advice regarding ULA packs:
If you are on the edge of sizes, S-M or M-L, etc. buy the larger size.
Buy the S shape shoulder straps regardless of gender.
Ursack on the AT: Not required on the AT. If it makes you feel better and sleep better and you hang it properly use it.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LongBlaze2019
01-12-2017, 17:57
Does Guthook replace the AWOL if you have the phone? Or add to it?
Nothing is as good as AWOL'S guide. Guthook is a good GPS app though.

Engine
01-12-2017, 18:04

Packs: I read that you should buy the pack last, so you know how big you need. True? Or has the question been asked and answered enough times? I like the idea of light. I like the Exos for that reason, but the Atmos and Aether were pretty comfortable, just twice as heavy. I'd like to try on the ULA packs and maybe Gossamer Gear before making a decision. I like the Osprey Any time, Any Where, Any Reason guarantee.
Bags: I like the EE Revelation quilts. Mummy bags feel small. We're not starting till May somewhere in the middle, and heading north. Then flipping back and heading south, hoping to be done before the end of October. Seems like we miss the coldest temps at both ends? Do we still need 30 deg bags? 20? Do liners work?

Pads: Leaning towards the Thermarest Xlite. Is the Xtherm necessary for warmth? Are there others out there just as good for less? The Thermarest's seem pricy.
That's the big four.
Pete

Both ULA and Granite Gear make nice alternatives to Osprey, I have no experience with Gossamer Gear.

With a May start, you'll probably be fine with a 30* quilt to start, but depending on how fast you hike north you may end up wishing you had gone with a 20* in New Hampshire and Maine.

Liners do work, we like the Sea to Summit Thermolite Reactor liners.

For your chosen start date, I wouldn't bother with the Xtherm...probably too warm for most of the hike. If it gets chilly up north, you can always add a thin ccf pad. Also, consider the Nemo insulated Tensor, in my experience it beats the NeoAir in every aspect.

CarlZ993
01-12-2017, 18:31
+1 for the ULA packs!

When you talk w/ ULA, they should be able to steer to the right pack & size. The Circuit worked great for me. When in doubt, buy two sizes, figure out which one fits your better, and then send one back for a refund. Let them know you're going to do that in the first place. One guy I met on the AT did that when he bought his Circuit.

Good luck on your hike!

soilman
01-12-2017, 20:02
I started my AT thru hike with and Exos. I had problems with the mesh in back falling apart and by the time I got to NH I replaced it with an Atmos 65. After my AT thru I got an ULA circuit and love it.

Sandy of PA
01-12-2017, 20:05
20 degrees and an X-therm for the wife, 30 degree and X-Lite for you. Girls generally sleep 10 degrees colder, if she is not warm you will not be happy!

IslandPete
01-13-2017, 08:37
I started my AT thru hike with and Exos. I had problems with the mesh in back falling apart and by the time I got to NH I replaced it with an Atmos 65. After my AT thru I got an ULA circuit and love it.
I like the design/features of the Circuit. Is it a sweaty pack though, sitting on your back with no ventilation?

20 degrees and an X-therm for the wife, 30 degree and X-Lite for you. Girls generally sleep 10 degrees colder, if she is not warm you will not be happy!
My wife has already made that perfectly clear!

Gambit McCrae
01-13-2017, 09:04
I like the design/features of the Circuit. Is it a sweaty pack though, sitting on your back with no ventilation?

Honestly in the summer, I do sweat the back side of my shirt out, in the summer it feels nice. In the colder months, my shirt freezes stiff as a board hanging from the tree limb I forgot to retrieve it from. Probably the biggest "cons" of the pack

IslandPete
01-13-2017, 10:12
I feel like that's a pretty big "Con". Maybe not. I read a reviewer who said that apart from hid pack smelling "Unholy", he loved it! Even hiking with just a bookbag sized daypack makes my back soaking wet.

IslandPete
01-13-2017, 10:14
I feel like that's a pretty big "Con". Maybe not. I read a reviewer who said that apart from his pack smelling "Unholy", he loved it! Even hiking with just a bookbag sized daypack makes my back soaking wet.

Soggybottom
01-13-2017, 12:09
I love the xtherm and it is toasty. I also have the xlite for those 40 plus nights.

Slo-go'en
01-13-2017, 12:41
I feel like that's a pretty big "Con". Maybe not. I read a reviewer who said that apart from his pack smelling "Unholy", he loved it! Even hiking with just a bookbag sized daypack makes my back soaking wet.

That is an issue with packs which ride flat to the back. That can lead to skin irritation and related problems. It will be hot and humid for much of the hike, especially the southern end after the flip. Ospreys have the advantage that they have decent ventilation, but as a result shift the center of gravity a bit farther behind you.

I think the UL packs which are little more then a stuff sack with shoulder straps are more suited to low humidity areas like out west then on the AT which is very humid.

hyperslug
01-13-2017, 12:56
For more than twenty years internal frames existed with sweaty back only option and no one died. That was the big argument for a long time between external frames and internal frames, and even without a breathable back panel option the internal frame won out. If your hiking upwards of 20 miles a day for 6 months on end; a sweaty back will be the least of your problems. Rule #22: Don't sweat the small stuff.

Slo-go'en
01-13-2017, 22:00
For more than twenty years internal frames existed with sweaty back only option and no one died. . Rule #22: Don't sweat the small stuff.

True, but depending on the suspension, some are worse then others. Two of my internal frame packs have small pads on the back which limit the amount of contact to my back and space the rest of the pack slightly away from the back. These aren't too bad. I also have a ULA, CDT pack which has full contact with my back over the entire surface and that pack is really bad to carry in the summer.

Slow Trek
01-14-2017, 01:32
We used AWOL and Guthook,and I would not go without either one. AWOL is the big picture,showing all the terrain and resupply down the road. Also printed and followed the suggested itinerary from his website. Very helpful. Guthook can show you exactly where you are,and has some helpful info that AWOL does not,plus a lot of shelter photos that we found useful.

IslandPete
01-14-2017, 09:48
For more than twenty years internal frames existed with sweaty back only option and no one died. a sweaty back will be the least of your problems. Rule #22: Don't sweat the small stuff.
True, but there must have been enough complaining that all the manufacturers have gone to great lengths to address ventilation. I think solving as many of my problems as possible before starting out will work in my favor. If I can find a pack that will check all the boxes, and be nice to my back, why not?

Venchka
01-14-2017, 11:13
Unless you have a NASA self contained climate control system, backpacking is hot, sweaty, dirty, hard WORK. After much trial and error, I found a very good moisture transfer long sleeve base layer shirt from Helly Hanson combined with a 100% polyester ventilated fishing shirt. The combination used with a ULA Catalyst. Did my back get wet? Yes, confined to the area around my shoulder blades. Not from my neck to waist. When the pack came off both layers dried by the time I had camp setup and dinner ready. Probably 30-45 minutes and in the shade.
Wayne

josh_ATL
01-15-2017, 04:53

That's the big four.
Pete

Any Osprey pack is going to be comfortable, that's what their built for, especially if you're on the heavier side. The ULA and Gossamer packs are great, but not made to carry as heavy of a load as a pack like the Ospreys with a full frame suspension. It's going to be kind of hard to try on a Gossamer or ULA pack unless you know someone who already owns one. I only know of one Outfitter (Mountain Crossings @ Neels Gap) that keep ULA in stock, but have never seen a Gossamer pack at an outfitter. I'm a huge fan of both brands. I've got a ULA CDT, a ULA Circuit, A Gossamer Kumo, and a Gossamer Gorilla and love them all. The Circuit and Gorilla will take a little bit more weight than the Kumo or CDT as they have aluminum/carbon stays for the frame. I've never personally owned an Exos, but it was the pack of choice for a lot of people I hiked with, and just about everyone was very happy with it. I own the Enlightened Equipment Revelation (20 degree) and took used it for a thru last year. It was good for everything I encountered. It might have dropped below 20 degrees a few times, but I stayed warm for the most part. In the summer I rarely used it, but it was nice to lay on top of. I highly recommend either the Revelation or the Enigma! The NeoAir XLite is pricy, but definitely worth it. The Big Agnes Q Core and Sea To Summit Ultralight are around the same weight and a little cheaper, but not nearly as comfortable. Your sleeping bag and pad are two things you will use every night, so it pays not to skimp on them. If you're planning on getting a custom made EE quilt, then I would order ASAP. They get busy around the beginning of the hiking season, so their lead time for their custom stuff is generally pretty long.

IslandPete
01-15-2017, 10:21
I was wanting the EE quilt all along, but ended up ordering a bag. My wife, and all the angels here looking out for her, wanted to be sure I understood that if she was cold, nobody in our group was going to be happy. The bags we got have full zips, so can be used like a quilt if wanted. They put over half a pound extra in our packs though. As for the pack, that's going to be a game time decision. What I want is the ULA Circuit with the ventilated back of the Exos. ULA has about 3 months to get that together!
We'll sail back from the Bahamas in early April, get the boat hauled and stored, pick up all of our gear from the mail forwarder and head to Virginia. We'll be easy to recognize. We'll be sitting at the trailhead unwrapping all our new gear, stuffing it in our new packs. With a dog...
Pete, Linda, and Scout

egilbe
01-15-2017, 11:11
My GF and I use an EE Acomplice, 20* with the Exped Synmat Hyperlight Duo. We've been comfortable down to the low teens with it. Much lighter than two bags and two mats, for sure.

IslandPete
01-15-2017, 18:05
My GF and I use an EE Acomplice, 20* with the Exped Synmat Hyperlight Duo. We've been comfortable down to the low teens with it. Much lighter than two bags and two mats, for sure.
The Accomplice might be the solution! I don't know why I never noticed it before. Thanks!

lwhikerchris
01-16-2017, 16:06
I used the xtherm the whole way and recommend it. You may be fine with the xlite with your start time. Before buying a pack, tent, and bag, look into these brands: Zpacks, Hyperlite Mountain Gear, Gossamer Gear, Jacks R Better, and Mountain Laurel Designs. The extra cost is well worth the weight you will save.

coyote9
01-16-2017, 22:27
Ill just comment on pack size. To put things into perspective, I carry a 26L pack and I have everything I need.

josh_ATL
01-17-2017, 04:24
Ill just comment on pack size. To put things into perspective, I carry a 26L pack and I have everything I need.

Same here, I'm rockin a 28L and have plenty of room for everything I would possibly need to carry. I never understood the whole buying your gear prior to your pack so you could make sure everything fits mantra. I think people tend to fill their pack with all of the gear they have and then continue to purchase and fill the leftover space in their pack with things they don't really need. I say try buying the smallest pack you think you can get away with, shove a week's worth of food in it, and pack your essential gear. If there's room left after essentials are packed then use that extra space to bring along non-essential and luxury items.

IslandPete
01-17-2017, 08:08

Same here, I'm rockin a 28L and have plenty of room for everything I would possibly need to carry. I never understood the whole buying your gear prior to your pack so you could make sure everything fits mantra. I think people tend to fill their pack with all of the gear they have and then continue to purchase and fill the leftover space in their pack with things they don't really need. I say try buying the smallest pack you think you can get away with, shove a week's worth of food in it, and pack your essential gear. If there's room left after essentials are packed then use that extra space to bring along non-essential and luxury items.

Pretty impressive guys! I think I'm being pretty realistic about what we need (you guys might see it differently!), which is why I thought I'd wait and see what size packs we needed. I bet it's more than 26-28, but hopefully it's not 65!! Good to know it can be done! I wouldn't mind seeing your gear lists?
Pete

Slo-go'en
01-17-2017, 13:54
Same here, I'm rockin a 28L and have plenty of room for everything I would possibly need to carry.

28L? That's a day pack. I can do 28L for an overnighter in the middle of the summer when I know the weather is going to be good and I don't need much more then a light jacket, sleeping bag and some food. But for a 3 season thru hike, you need more stuff and the ability to leave town with up to 5-6 days worth of food. 60-65L is what most end up with.

I managed Harpers Ferry to NH with a 45L pack starting mid April last year, but resupply is frequent in that area and my comfort level was very marginal at the beginning. I was really wishing I had brought my 60L pack instead.

Red Sky
01-24-2017, 10:28
Hey Pete, I'm new to AT hiking as well, but have already purchased most of my gear, and camped with it a few times to test it out. I went with the Nemo Nocturne 30 bag because it's not the traditional mummy shape, and has more room in the shoulder and knee area. It's really comfortable, and I think a 30 degree bag will be fine for you in May, June and beyond. I combined that with a Sea to Summit Comfort Plus Insulated pad. I also have the ZPacks Arc Haul 55L pack, and love it! The arced frame keeps your back ventilated as advertised. Like you, I'm doing a flip flop hike starting the first week of May, probably at Harper's Ferry. Sounds like you do some sailing like me. Hope to see you on the trail in May!

IslandPete
01-24-2017, 10:57
Red, I've purchased most of my gear too, but unlike you, won't have much time to check it out before hiking. It's all waiting for us at a mail drop to be picked up on our way north. I bought 2 20* mummy bags but am planning on returning them (don't think I'll like the tight fit), and I got a double size EE quilt also in 20*. I asked Tyler at EE every which way what deg rating he recommended, and pointed out my planned timing, and every time he said 20. He should know, but I can't help thinking it's gonna be too much. Still considering changing it. I also got a couple of the light Costco down throw quilts which we'll use when it gets warmer. I looked at ZPacks, but like a lot of the smaller companies, no way to try them beforehand. I can try both the Osprey and the ULA, and right now I'm planning on using one of them, probably the Exos because of the ventilation, unless I or my wife REALLY like the ULA's. I have no schedule to meet, except get done before it gets too cold, and am planning on starting around the beginning of May, but hoping to start maybe at Waynesboro, weather permitting. We'll probably see you out there, but we'll be passing you heading south when we do because of the way we're doing it. And yea, when we're not in Abaco, we're living on the sailboat or the RV.
Pete