PDA

View Full Version : Water situation Winding stair gap to NOC

sacks
01-11-2017, 11:14
Planning on a small section hike from Winding stair gap to the NOC.
Has the water situation improved with the recent rains and snow?
Any details on marked water sources would be appreciated.
Siler Bald
Wine spring
Wayah Shelter
Licklog gap
springs
Wesser Bald Shelter

thank you

Dan Roper
01-11-2017, 18:10
All usual water sources in the southern mountains have plentiful water, including those affected by the summer and autumn drought. Drinking water will not be an issue this winter. Mud perhaps. Cold perhaps. Ice and snow at times. But not drinking water.

daddytwosticks
01-12-2017, 08:22
I have not hiked this section since this past Memorial Day weekend. There are no water sources north on the AT from the Wesser Bald shelter until the NOC even in a wet year. I live not very far from this section. Although the drought has eased much since this past October-November and water is now flowing down here in the valleys, I would use caution and tank up at every opportunity. Hopefully, someone who has recently hiked this section will respond to your question. Good luck with your hike.:)

Tundracamper
01-12-2017, 09:38
Mileage to possible water sources starting at Winding Stair. The last water reports I could find were from November. If you don't already have the ATHiker app, I highly recommend it.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170112/9d8702969f0b2fdee0d9f38361ee38bf.png

and

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170112/2c8caa5c860af2ff1a624328e576dde0.png

daddytwosticks
01-12-2017, 16:24
I have not hiked this section since this past Memorial Day weekend. There are no water sources north on the AT from the Wesser Bald shelter until the NOC even in a wet year. I live not very far from this section. Although the drought has eased much since this past October-November and water is now flowing down here in the valleys, I would use caution and tank up at every opportunity. Hopefully, someone who has recently hiked this section will respond to your question. Good luck with your hike.:)

Woops! Forgot about the creek at Rufus Morgan shelter. :)

sacks
01-25-2017, 09:51
Thanks everyone.
I ended up going on the weekend of the 1-20. All marked water sources where flowing strong.

daddytwosticks
01-25-2017, 17:07
Thanks everyone.
I ended up going on the weekend of the 1-20. All marked water sources where flowing strong.
That's good to know. Thanks for reporting back. :)

daddytwosticks
01-25-2017, 17:07
How was the wild fire damage?

sacks
02-03-2017, 09:21
The fire damage was not as bad as I thought it would be. The worst of it was between Wesser Bald Shelter and the NOC.
Tall trees appear to be in pretty good shape. Slight smell in the area.

Tundracamper
02-06-2017, 21:54
The fire damage was not as bad as I thought it would be. The worst of it was between Wesser Bald Shelter and the NOC.
Tall trees appear to be in pretty good shape. Slight smell in the area.

Thanks for the update. That seems to be about the last 6 or 7 miles prior to NOC. Perhaps camping in that area is not a great idea? That's easy to cover in about half a day or so.