PDA

View Full Version : All leather boots?

Cosmo
01-11-2017, 22:48
I'm looking for recommendations for all leather mid-height boots. I don't hike in them, but use them for trail work--and they are required for chain saw work on the AT. I've been wearing the old reliable Vasque Sundowners for years, but the design has changed, and the new version doesn't fit as well. A work day sees up to 6-8 miles of hiking, so comfort is a factor, but water "proof" is not. Please share your favorites.

Cosmo

Sarcasm the elf
01-11-2017, 22:59
I have been using a pair of Scarpa Kailash for about five year now and have been quite happy with them. They are full suede leather which has held up better than I ever thought it could. They have become my default boot for mild to moderate winter hiking as well as for when I'm working with tools around the house, including when using a chainsaw. I will mention that they felt just a little bit narrow when I first got them, but I added in a pair of superfeet and as the leather broke in they molded very well to the shape of my feet.

https://www.scarpa.com/kailash-gtx

Traveler
01-12-2017, 06:10
I'm looking for recommendations for all leather mid-height boots. I don't hike in them, but use them for trail work--and they are required for chain saw work on the AT. I've been wearing the old reliable Vasque Sundowners for years, but the design has changed, and the new version doesn't fit as well. A work day sees up to 6-8 miles of hiking, so comfort is a factor, but water "proof" is not. Please share your favorites.

Cosmo

Are Sawyers required to wear PPE that includes steel toed boots? That may impact the type and brand of boot you need to look at if so.

Engine
01-12-2017, 06:50
For the purpose you describe, it's hard to beat Redwing boots. Comfortable, super tough, and they last forever with a little bit of care.

peakbagger
01-12-2017, 07:13
Stock Limmer Boots are the choice of most trail workers in NH. http://www.limmerboot.com/#

Its worth reading their Leather Care section

jimmyjam
01-12-2017, 07:36
A lot of people in construction wear Carolina boots

chknfngrs
01-12-2017, 07:58
Raichle used to make a bombproof leather boot

ScareBear
01-12-2017, 08:48

Cosmo

Get a pair of Alico's. Same old design. Same leather. Still made in Italy, by hand. On sale.
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/alico-summit-hiking-boots-leather-for-men~p~61270/?filterString=mens-boots~d~137%2F

If you are doing any logging, get a steel toe boot. If you want a pair of forestry boots that will outlast you, spring for a pair of White's. At least you will be wearing the coolest boots in the forest that day....
http://www.whitesboots.com/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=444

Old Hillwalker
01-12-2017, 09:31
Hey Cosmo, If you are looking for qualifying equipment for USFS Sawyer Certification, Limmers don't reach the height specs nor do they have steel toes. I bought these about 7 years ago for my USFS Certification and have used them ever since. They work very well, and the price was right.

http://www.labonville.com/Labonville-Boots-Made-In-The-USA-_c_94.html

T.S.Kobzol
01-12-2017, 10:50
Another vote for stock Limmer boots. I've had them now for 10 years - amazing. They used to be my year round hiking boots. Nowadays I succumbed to the 'trailrunner' trend (a little bit) and wear below ankle leather/composite boots for summer and early fall. I switch back to my Limmers for spring, late fall and winter when temperatures are above 10 degrees Fahrenheit. I move to winter mountaineering boots when temperatures are are below 10F.

Thinspace
01-12-2017, 13:00
The best boot is the one that fits your foot. Not all size 10's for instance are created equal. Fit is the first consideration, quality/brand is the next consideration. Determine what brands fit your foot best and go from there. When I bought my first pair of hiking boots the salesman sold me what he said were "the best hiking boots you could buy". They were excellent quality with an excellent reputation but they were too narrow for my feet. My first hike was a 4 day backpacking trip that proved to be torture with about a half dozen painful blisters. After that I went to a different place and the salesman first measured my feet and then recommended some options that were suitable for my feet. I ended up buying a pair of Fabianos (this was 1974) I hiked the soles off them and never had a single blister.

Old Hillwalker
01-12-2017, 14:04
Another take on Limmers. I own two pair. The first I bought in 1980 for $160, Another pair in 2002 which cost $640 (both custom). I need custom boots due to foot trauma in Vietnam. I love my Limmers but they are too heavy for anything other than long days on rough rock or heavy load backpacking. I blew the first pair out while working on the AT Corridor Boundary in the Mahoosucs using a Stihl Clearing Saw a few years ago. The USFS footwear requirement is for a boot with a nine inch height. Steel toes are discretionary. Limmers only measure 7 inches from bottom of sole to top cuff. Since certified Sawyers are covered by insurance while volunteering I would be troubled wearing a non approved piece of PPE while on the job since insurance coverage in the event of an incident might be jeopardized.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fsbdev3_035491.pdf

OCDave
01-12-2017, 16:58
When my Vasque Sundowner boots failed after nearly 15 years of service, the boot I found to fill the void was the Asolo TPS 520 GV. I have been extremely satisfied after 4 years of fairly rugged use. I loved my Sundowners but like the Asolo even more. My were made in Romania.

https://www.rei.com/product/693828/asolo-tps-520-gv-hiking-boots-mens

Good Luck

Rabbi
01-12-2017, 18:30
Cost factor?

Danners?

Madpaddy
01-12-2017, 19:48
I love my Asoso 520s...I know folks have had issues in the past with the soles separating due to poor adhesives at the production end, but I have never experienced this. My wife and I just finished our section in Pennsylvania last week completing the 229 miles of it...a great test of boots in snow, ice, and of course lots of rocks. Other than normal scuffing on the uppers and soles , my feet and ankles are always dry and well supported and protected.

Cosmo

Cosmo
01-12-2017, 20:17
Are Sawyers required to wear PPE that includes steel toed boots? That may impact the type and brand of boot you need to look at if so.
No steel toes required for AT volunteers sawing on NPS lands. Some US Forest Service units have a toe protection requirement for some types of work.

Thanks for all the suggestions on this thread!

Cosmo

jimmyjam
01-12-2017, 20:22
Here's the link to the Carolina boots. Made in the USA. http://www.carolinashoe.com/

Roll Tide
01-12-2017, 23:27
Google Postal uniforms. Rocky makes shoes and boots for the Postal Service and Police. These boots are made in the USA and lasts forever.

Dogwood
01-12-2017, 23:35
Mostly leather but I prefer Keene Voyageurs for light-med duty chain saw work.

Spirit Walker
01-13-2017, 14:26
Lowa Renegades are comfortable out of the box. I wear them when hiking in winter; DH wears them year around. We used to wear Sundowners too, but had issues with them when they got wet and would stiffen up constrict the lower leg too much.

Eliot
01-14-2017, 07:41
I'd have to give the Trekstas a mixed review on cold weather hiking. The sole will give you top-notch traction over mixed surfaces including ice and snow. The insulation factor is not as strong. This is a very light weight light hiker. Keeping light means less materials, so the boot is really not set up as a winter hiker. It could still work out for you. It's about the socks. Try either the old-school system of a thin nylon sock against your foot within a thicker winter-weight synthetic hiking sock over top. Or, look for a multilayer, winter weight synthetic sock. Also, the vegan Zamberlan boot would be a bit warmer. Same sock advice would apply there too.

dtzamora13
01-17-2017, 13:34
For the purpose you describe, it's hard to beat Redwing boots. Comfortable, super tough, and they last forever with a little bit of care.
I was thinking the same thing... Red Wing Loggers

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk