PDA

View Full Version : Water on the AT (for 2017)

llittle_llama
01-12-2017, 09:47
So I found and downloaded the app (looks AMAZING) and checked out the "free" map (AP). I checked out the price for the full AT and had a little bit of sticker shock but saw where there was a spot for a promo code. Has anyone ever used one for the app or is the $59 the running cost?

FiftyNine
01-12-2017, 11:50
Are you referring to Guthooks AT Hike app?
If so it's worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

llittle_llama
01-12-2017, 11:56
Are you referring to Guthooks AT Hike app?
If so it's worth it.

Yeah, I have no idea what's up with the thread title though. I just really want to find a promo code if possible before dropping the $59 if I can :)

Slo-go'en
01-12-2017, 13:49
I kind of doubt there is a promo code, but you don't need to buy the full set at once. Get them as you need them since there is always the chance (and a good chance at that) you won't need them all. Or just spend the $10 for the AWOL guide.

Huli
01-12-2017, 14:27
Just get the AWOL guide. It's paper, does not require batteries or a signal. If you want an app, just get an offline topo app and download the trail's data file. You can add notes to either one and they are less than $20

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Gritty
01-12-2017, 15:13
I have Guthooks App, found it to be an excellent companion to the AWOL guide on a recent section hike. The good thing about it is that once you download the map (s) you dont need cell reception for it to work. I dont remember paying $59 for it though, I got the app for free and paid 9 or 10 dollars for the section I was on. I plan on using it on my through hike but wont buy the sections until I need them.

Huli
01-12-2017, 16:20
I have Guthooks App, found it to be an excellent companion to the AWOL guide on a recent section hike. The good thing about it is that once you download the map (s) you dont need cell reception for it to work. I dont remember paying $59 for it though, I got the app for free and paid 9 or 10 dollars for the section I was on. I plan on using it on my through hike but wont buy the sections until I need them.
That does appear to be a sweet app. It is one segment for free and $8.99 each additional. Personally, I feel that much info takes away from my enjoyment. If you are the type that needs to have every detail now, that app really looks great.

Slo-go'en
01-12-2017, 16:39
That does appear to be a sweet app. It is one segment for free and $8.99 each additional. Personally, I feel that much info takes away from my enjoyment. If you are the type that needs to have every detail now, that app really looks great.

No, the free app just shows the approach trail.

Engine
01-12-2017, 16:50

It's not so much about having every detail, it's about having the important ones. There is a crowdsource aspect to the app which allows other hikers to leave a log regarding water sources and other important aspects of the trail. For instance, when things heat up in the summer and water is drying up in the northern states, being able to confirm the reliability of water at a given source is a tremendous benefit.

jeremys
01-12-2017, 16:56
I've not looked into Guthooks too deeply...once I saw the total price I decided I didn't need it that bad...but it seems to me the Hikerbot (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hikerbot.app&hl=en) app does a lot of the same things for free.

MTmik
01-12-2017, 17:01
Has anyone been out hiking this month to see how the Water is flowing in GA?

Engine
01-12-2017, 18:12
Has anyone been out hiking this month to see how the Water is flowing in GA?

From the reports I've heard there are no issues with water, which is no surprise given the amount of rain that has fallen in the past month.

Tundracamper
01-12-2017, 21:55
I find the ATHiker app very valuable for planning my section hikes - and having an indication of where water may or may not be. Plus the added weight of 0 ounces is nice.

llittle_llama
01-14-2017, 05:01
ATHiker app and Hikerbot? I'll look into those in the AM :)

Water Rat
01-14-2017, 10:05
ATHiker app and Hikerbot? I'll look into those in the AM :)

The AT Hiker app is the Guthook Hikes (now can also be found under "Atlas Guides") that goes for $59. There is no additional promo code offered - The $59 is a discount for purchasing the entire trail at once. If you purchase each segment one at a time it is a lot more money.

I cannot comment on Hikerbot as I have never seen/used it. Guthooks was very helpful last season when water sources were drying up. It allows recent user comments (in the information section) and people were able to leave real-time updates regarding the water situation...I imagine people also left fire updates further south.

ScareBear
01-14-2017, 10:12
+1 on Guthook, just buy the section you need as you progress. If you don't progress, you aren't out too much $$.

The AWOL guide on PDF sounds like a winner, you can print out pages you need as you go or just use your phone. I think the posters with issues about font size on a phone are correct. It is a bit of a pain to pinch in to read, but you get used to it quickly enough. I wouldn't bother with the version in print, given the PDF availability...

YMMV. HYOH. DGL.

llittle_llama
01-14-2017, 15:51
DGL.
No idea what this means, it's the first time seeing this acronym and looking it up gave results that were definitely not correct lol. As far as the total price of the Guthook I live about halfway through the AT and buying half of the maps (to at least get home) is about the same as buying it all so there doesn't seem much since in not buying it all at the start.

I do already have the PDF of the AWOL and I ordered the print as well so my wife would have a paper copy to look at and we could make notes on.

Binjali
01-14-2017, 19:00
I used Guthook as an addon to the AWOL guide for my thruhike. I took AWOL's PDF with me and left the hardcopy at home. My family reported it was nice to be able to read about where I was. Guthook's helped a lot, especially the pictures and the user comments. We had water trouble late in the season, and I could look at user comments and the pictures, then make a guess as to the quality I'd be looking at. Most of the time I was correct. Saved me from running out a couple of times. Also, the GPS helped out on a really foggy day when I got off trail. Looked a the arrow on Guthook, moved back to where the trail was supposed to be and eventually found a blaze.

jj dont play
01-14-2017, 19:07
AWOL+Guthook.
AWOL has better town info, guthook gives you current location and easy and quick mileage planning.
Guthook is worth it, had a few people get it after hiking with me and seeing how useful it is

Traveler
01-15-2017, 07:54
FWIW, I have always found the ATC maps to be a good resource finding water. It shows most all of the streams, creeks, rivers, and ponds of any size that the trail passes over, by, or near, as well as other standing water sources that may be a little distance from the trail itself.

While it has been raining a little this winter season and some of the inactive run off streams are running now, its not nearly enough to start recharging aquifers and standing water ponds/lakes, and rivers. In CT for example, most of the western half of the State is in extreme drought with an approximate 20" deficit. The story is similar up and down trail from here with some areas being less affected than others. Keep an eye on rainfall, the less of it there is, the further downhill you have to go for water.

KDogg
01-15-2017, 09:44
Guthook's was excellent for the user updates section. Lack of water was huge issue last year on the Norther sections of the trail. Guthook's usually had current user notes concerning the actual situation and lots of sources that showed as being reliable in the book were actually bone-dry. i wouldn't hike without it if possible. My only criticism is that the app has no town and resupply info unless the trail goes straight through the town so you need the book too.

llittle_llama
01-19-2017, 09:26
Well I guess it's settled then :D I'll download the rest of the trail once I hit GA in a few weeks!

capehiker
01-19-2017, 12:29
Both AWOL and Guthook compliment each other well. Guthook's for while on trail, AWOL's for when off trail. I carried the paper book of AWOL's last year and never opened it once on the trail, as I also had the pdf version. I'll be using the electronic version only this year. As a bonus, the electronic version of AWOL's has hyperlinked phone numbers and data points, so you can just click on the phone number and call. It's a nice edition.

Guthooks is rolling out major revisions to all the maps as we speak which include more details. Not sure if the price will increase because of that. Is the $59 worth it for the whole set? In my opinion yes. I have been using it for 3 years all up and down the AT on sections as well as last years thru attempt.

Surf&SUP
02-20-2017, 22:35
Has anyone seen the GeoFlyer North America 3D App? It has a great 3D map with the shelters marked along with the AT centerline. It's FREE for the lite version, but the full version $4.99 allows offline maps too. I've been using it for planning purposes and I also use WikiTrails.org which produces a similar PDF like AWOLs and WhiteBlaze Pages. It's Free too.

cvahiker
04-06-2017, 17:12
I've used the Guthooks app the past several years for section hikes. I love it. To the point above regarding the crowd sourcing, it is very helpful to know if water resources are running or not. It's also helpful when you're trying to get an idea of where you are in your day plan. I keep my phone on airplane mode all the time and still get the info I need.

Uncle Joe
04-06-2017, 17:27
I like Guthooks app because where ever I am on the trail I can know how far it is to the next point. I still take along sections of the AWOL guide but you can't beat the GPS capabilities of Guthook. I wish Garmin's were as easy to use.

Oventoasted
04-08-2017, 23:04
I have AWOL guide PDF on my phone as well as Guthook. Suggest both as they both weigh nothing and give good info.

AllDownhillFromHere
04-11-2017, 14:33
How is the AT Data Book not sufficient for this?

Deacon
04-12-2017, 07:10
I have AWOL guide PDF on my phone as well as Guthook. Suggest both as they both weigh nothing and give good info.

I wouldn't say they weigh nothing. Depending on how often to use the apps, their weights are just transferred to the increased size of your battery backup system, unless you're out for only a day or two.

JC13
04-12-2017, 08:33
How is the AT Data Book not sufficient for this?Not exactly sure what you are asking but since the AT Guide is a book, it is only updated each year. Guthook is real-time as long as users submit comments.