PDA

View Full Version : MLD Gear Weights - What Did Yours Weigh?

Kc Fiedler
01-12-2017, 13:20
Hey all,

I was just wondering if anyone has weight data for various Mountain Laurel Designs items. Here's what I need:

Item Name (specific so I can look it up)
Item Weight (weighed by you, unmodified)

I'm trying to compare MLD's "advertised" weight to the "real" weight that people are recording upon receiving their items. This is just a curiosity of mine that I would like to analyze, so the more data the better!

Feel free to post weights of any and all MLD gear as accurately as you can.

Thanks for taking the time everyone!

I'll post the results in a nice doc once (if) I get enough data.

Cheers!

MuddyWaters
01-12-2017, 13:39
Mld may not count guylines, linelocs, "optional" things like sternum straps on packs, etc. They are more clear about this now I think. Be sure you compare apples-apples if you want to rip somene a new one.

Variations in supplier materials are responsible often for wt variations. The mfg cuts pieces with templates and sews them, pretty repeatable. Thread isnt real heavy

Kc Fiedler
01-12-2017, 13:40
Mld may not count guylines, linelocs, "optional" things like sternum straps on packs, etc. They are more clear about this now I think.

Thanks for the tip - I'll be sure to add a note about that in my final comparisons for fairness.

cmoulder
01-12-2017, 18:14
Another factor in the final weight, in your pack and ready to hit the trail, is the seam sealing — who did it, how they did it, and how well they did it. And I suspect that the weights published on the website are before seam sealing.

I would expect that in most cases it would be best to let MLD do the seam sealing if you want lightest weight. This is because they do it a lot and can do a neat job (neat always being lighter than sloppy) and they probably also use a properly thinned silicone for a light & thorough application... thinned is probably better because it soaks into the seam threads and stitch holes better. I did the seam sealing on mine and used a full two tubes of SilNet and there is no doubt in my mind that MLD would have done a better and lighter job.

Dogwood
01-12-2017, 18:50
I'm a weight fanatic like you noting advertised or specific claimed wt verse what I register on my scales. I'm also a MLD fan. Have bought more than 20 major pieces of their gear over the years and demoed another 20 odd major pieces.

Weights are always within +- 5% of advertised or claimed wt. Some pieces I've had Ron quote me finished wts as they would have to be estimated because I have MLD customize construct most pieces. And, advertised wts are off for me because, for example, I have a XL torso or shrink tarp sizes or add mitten hooks or remove line locs, etc.

I'm on my third MLD Superlight silny bottom bivy. Advertsised wt was right on one and .1 oz higher and .2 oz lower than advertised at the time. The CF bottom one I now have was advertised in large at 4.75 oz. It weighed 4.87 oz on my food scale. eVent 3 L rain mittens in lg size were advertised as 1.5 oz(45 grams). They weighed 49 grams. eVent 3 L gaiters in Lg size were advertised at 1.8 oz. They weighed 1.8 oz on my scale.

Franco
01-12-2017, 18:52
For seam sealing , most people could do a neat job if done this way :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDLVCXRTHKU

used a full two tubes of SilNet

Kc Fiedler
01-14-2017, 09:58
Thanks to everyone's helpful information.

I was hoping to get a few more actual numbers from people who own and have measured the weights of standard, unmodified, MLD gear straight from the manufacturer before any altering.

If anyone has more actual weights for me, that would be really helpful - like Dogwood's post.

ScareBear
01-14-2017, 10:18
Thanks to everyone's helpful information.

I was hoping to get a few more actual numbers from people who own and have measured the weights of standard, unmodified, MLD gear straight from the manufacturer before any altering.

If anyone has more actual weights for me, that would be really helpful - like Dogwood's post.

Forgive the skeptic in me, but why would actual weights of other peoples' purchases from MLD be really helpful to YOU?
Helpful in what manner? Are you trying to set MLD up for some false ad or consumer fraud claim? Did a purchase not meet your expectations and you want to use weight discrepancy for a return? Are you planning on writing a book?

This is one heck of a fishing expedition you are on. Until you pony up some answers to the above questions, folks on WB, IMHO, shouldn't cooperate with your request. If you've got an axe to grind with MLD on a personal or professional level, WB isn't the place to gather ammunition against WB. Pretty sure of that anyway...

ScareBear
01-14-2017, 10:20
Sorry. "...WB isn't the place to gather ammunition against MLD." Also, WB would not be a place to gather ammunition against WB, but I am not trying out for the role of Captain Obvious...my typo my bad....

Kc Fiedler
01-14-2017, 10:25
Forgive the skeptic in me, but why would actual weights of other peoples' purchases from MLD be really helpful to YOU?
Helpful in what manner? Are you trying to set MLD up for some false ad or consumer fraud claim? Did a purchase not meet your expectations and you want to use weight discrepancy for a return? Are you planning on writing a book?

This is one heck of a fishing expedition you are on. Until you pony up some answers to the above questions, folks on WB, IMHO, shouldn't cooperate with your request. If you've got an axe to grind with MLD on a personal or professional level, WB isn't the place to gather ammunition against WB. Pretty sure of that anyway...

Thanks for watching out for everyone's interests. I'm hoping to gather some supplemental information for an article I'm hoping to write.

I use an love several MLD products and simply wish to gather more data, good or bad, to add to my own. I'm not looking to play anyone's side or discredit anyone or anything. Simply hoping to gather some information from others.

Chat soon.

ScareBear
01-14-2017, 10:36
Thanks for watching out for everyone's interests. I'm hoping to gather some supplemental information for an article I'm hoping to write.

I use an love several MLD products and simply wish to gather more data, good or bad, to add to my own. I'm not looking to play anyone's side or discredit anyone or anything. Simply hoping to gather some information from others.

Chat soon.

OK. So, let's be perfectly clear. YOUR data regarding MLD is bad for MLD. You are looking for like data. You wouldn't be looking for opposite data, because you could not draw any conclusions from conflicting data. Or, am I missing something here?

Also, you get some cred for being honest in your last post about what you are really up to. But, you lost it when I re-read your OP.

"This is just a curiosity of mine that I would like to analyze, so the more data the better!"

So, let's be perfectly clear here, shall we?

You are looking to write an article. You have MLD in your sights on weight issues. It isn't good for MLD. You initially utilized deceit in an effort to gather data for your article, but then got called out and fessed up.

I don't trust that anything you write will be any more accurate than your initial statement concerning your motivation for seeking the information. Here's a clue: Journalists/authors do not utilize deceit or obfuscation as a data gathering tool. G.I.G.O.

Maineiac64
01-14-2017, 10:43
Sorry. "...WB isn't the place to gather ammunition against MLD." Also, WB would not be a place to gather ammunition against WB, but I am not trying out for the role of Captain Obvious...my typo my bad....

Why not? It's a reasonable and relevant request and people can decide for themselves if they want to particpate. It may be useful info for people to understand what they are really getting when making a purchase, especially if what we are buying is lack of weight.

ScareBear
01-14-2017, 10:45
The OP initially lied to everyone about their motivation for seeking the information. It isn't to satisfy OP's curiosity...

Kc Fiedler
01-14-2017, 11:19
OK. So, let's be perfectly clear. YOUR data regarding MLD is bad for MLD. You are looking for like data. You wouldn't be looking for opposite data, because you could not draw any conclusions from conflicting data. Or, am I missing something here?

Also, you get some cred for being honest in your last post about what you are really up to. But, you lost it when I re-read your OP.

"This is just a curiosity of mine that I would like to analyze, so the more data the better!"

So, let's be perfectly clear here, shall we?

You are looking to write an article. You have MLD in your sights on weight issues. It isn't good for MLD. You initially utilized deceit in an effort to gather data for your article, but then got called out and fessed up.

I don't trust that anything you write will be any more accurate than your initial statement concerning your motivation for seeking the information. Here's a clue: Journalists/authors do not utilize deceit or obfuscation as a data gathering tool. G.I.G.O.

Since there seems to be some confusion, allow me to clear things up.

I have not yet compared my weight data of MLD product to MLD advertising. For that reason, my data cannot possibly have a bias.

I am looking for numbers from others, whether good bad or ugly, for a curiosity which may be included in an article I am contemplating writing for my personal blog. I am allowed to develop a curiosity into an idea for a blog post. That's what bloggers do. I am not and have not claimed to be a journalist.

I do have MLD in my sights for an article. I have even gone out of my way to make Ron Bell aware of it and seek his participation in ensuring the article accurately reflects his company and himself.

There is nothing I inflammatory, deceitful, or unreasonable about my inquiry.

Thanks again for everyone who has or will help me with my original inquiry.

MuddyWaters
01-14-2017, 11:26
if anyone is ever not satisified with the weight of an item....immediately return it is the solution.

Ive seen this many times..."My X weighs y oz more than its supposed to, but I ordered it for an upcoming trip and now I have to keep it. I dont have time to order another. And I cant sell it for good price because its overweight"

1. If your that worried about value of it, you bought something you clearly shouldnt have
2. If you dont immediately return overweight item...its YOUR fault and your problem
3. Weights are never guaranteed exact on custom items, they are estimated.
4. Lots of times buyers dont understand that guylines, linelocs, etc were NOT included. Ive seen people not understand that pole wt wasnt included.
5. Down weight varies with humidity, dont complain till you run it thru the dryer and weigh it fresh out.
6. Theres normal tolerances. Anything under 5% should be non issue. Thats 1/2 oz on a 10oz item. Or 1 oz on a 20oz item

many mfgs weigh several and list average weight
many list only weight of medium packs, medium belt, etc.

ScareBear
01-14-2017, 11:27
Since there seems to be some confusion, allow me to clear things up.

I do have MLD in my sights for an article. I have even gone out of my way to make Ron Bell aware of it and seek his participation in ensuring the article accurately reflects his company and himself.

And, there you have it.

Now, folks on WB can decide whether or not to participate in your "research" for your "article", based upon it's purpose and your motivation.

saltysack
01-14-2017, 12:06
if anyone is ever not satisified with the weight of an item....immediately return it is the solution.

Ive seen this many times..."My X weighs y oz more than its supposed to, but I ordered it for an upcoming trip and now I have to keep it. I dont have time to order another. And I cant sell it for good price because its overweight"

1. If your that worried about value of it, you bought something you clearly shouldnt have
2. If you dont immediately return overweight item...its YOUR fault and your problem
3. Weights are never guaranteed exact on custom items, they are estimated.
4. Lots of times buyers dont understand that guylines, linelocs, etc were NOT included. Ive seen people not understand that pole wt wasnt included.
5. Down weight varies with humidity, dont complain till you run it thru the dryer and weigh it fresh out.
6. Theres normal tolerances. Anything under 5% should be non issue. Thats 1/2 oz on a 10oz item. Or 1 oz on a 20oz item

many mfgs weigh several and list average weight
many list only weight of medium packs, medium belt, etc.

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk