PDA

View Full Version : ~2" diameter x ~13" packed sleeping pads

HaChayalBoded
01-13-2017, 12:34
I'm looking at a few lighter weight pads. The Klymit V2, the Nemo Tensor ad Astro Air Lite are just 3.

When folded in thirds, the Klymit is 3x8 and the Nemo is 2.75x8, math tells me if folded just once, a 25" wide pad should be about 2" thick and around 12.5-13" in length.

Does anyone have any of the above or similar that you can see if you can get down to around 2" or so rolled?

As to why, my pack, right above the lower sleeping bag straps are two axe loops that have an inner diameter of 2 1\4" and I was hoping to be able to slide a lightweight pad through there.

TIA

Dogwood
01-13-2017, 13:53
Make sure your pads are secured in the non adjustable ice axe, trekking pole, etc loops. It can be a place of loose attachment to lose gear. I've lost things going that route and have seen several others experience the same.

Can be more prone to experiencing a puncture storing UL/light wt inflatable pads there too

Slo-go'en
01-13-2017, 21:25
My NeoAir, when folded in half width wise, then folded in half twice length wise, takes up very little space at the bottom of my pack. If I'm using a small sleeping bag and need to fill up some space, I'll make a "U" of the pad and put my bag inside the U.

If you have an inflatable mat ( I'm not going to take the time to look up the ones you mention), you should not put it outside your pack. Too much risk of damage.

SWODaddy
01-13-2017, 21:37
Strapping an inflatable pad to the back of your pack sounds like a terrible idea.

HaChayalBoded
01-13-2017, 23:25
Strapping an inflatable pad to the back of your pack sounds like a terrible idea.

I'll be making a custom tear and puncture resistant sleeve for it. Which will also have a velcro flap to secure it to said axe loops.