PDA

View Full Version : New bivy by 2go systems

phicker
01-14-2017, 12:18
Hello all I plan on section hiking from top of Georgia through GSMNP in may .My bag is rated@ 45 degrees. I'm a tarp camper Anyway to the point I"ve been looking @ this bivvy by 2go systems it is much bigger than the SOL escape weighs just under 1lb @ only 60.00 has anyone used this? I am sure it would add 10 to 15 degrees which I need also I am a large person and the escape is to small. Any thoughts?
https://www.2gosystems.com/products/trifecta

Casual
01-22-2017, 15:22
I've never used that bivy, but I watched some youtube reviews of it, so I think I get the gist. What's the plan for bugs? Worst case, you could be dealing with mosquitos and ticks, plus humid 80+F days and warm nights.

Dogwood
01-22-2017, 15:34
Will add about 8-12* to your bag under ideal conditions which for May for that AT segment may very well be humid and very warm. You have flexibility though combined with a 45* bag and ADDED overhead tarp. I would NOT repeat NOT use it as a wet weather stand alone bivy. Combine it with a tarp for sheltering. Tyvek 1460C is NOT a WP fabric nor is the zip and possibly seams. You get nailed with a 7 oz wt increase spared to the Sol Escape

phicker
01-22-2017, 17:54
Thanks guys but last year when I was in Georgia in the middle of May and sleeping under a tarp with said sleeping bag and down sweater and long johns on it got down to 40 degrees one night and it was quiet cold. Also the SOL escape is a great product but I am 6" 2' and over 200lbs and I know it will not work for me When I was in Georgia last year in May I did'nt even use bug spray so I do not think hot humid nights will be a problem. Yes the weight is a issue

Venchka
01-22-2017, 19:04
Thanks guys but last year when I was in Georgia in the middle of May and sleeping under a tarp with said sleeping bag and down sweater and long johns on it got down to 40 degrees one night and it was quiet cold. Also the SOL escape is a great product but I am 6" 2' and over 200lbs and I know it will not work for me When I was in Georgia last year in May I did'nt even use bug spray so I do not think hot humid nights will be a problem. Yes the weight is a issue

Agreed. Having spent more than a few days in recent memory much lower than the AT in North Carolina.
About the third day of a multi day rain event you'll be wishing for a helicopter ride to a hot shower and an even hotter fireplace. And I normally relish crisp weather.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Casual
01-22-2017, 19:06
Good luck with that. The weather in GA is highly variable in the spring.
Hell, it was 75 here last week, and we had ice storm the week before that. I was slapping mosquitoes in my yard last week, about 60 miles south of your start point. You should plan for 40, and you should plan for 80 with bugs.

Venchka
01-22-2017, 19:06
Ps:
Phicker, you need a better sleeping bag and insulation from the ground before throwing money away on sketchy bivi thingies.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dogwood
01-22-2017, 19:09

I'm 6'4" and 220 lbs with a med frame. No problem fitting in the SOL Escape bivy. :confused:

You might add under what sheltering conditions you felt cold with a 45* bag, wearing those sleeping clothes, and at 40* you still felt cold? Sleeping enclosed in a tent can add as much as 10*+ to the warmth factor. Adding sleeping clothes as you describe into the mix should get you enough warmth at 40*. What was your under insulation which can play a big factor in sleeping warmly enough?

What 45* bag do you have? If it isn't EN temp rated or is an older bag that has lost insulating properties it might not be truly a 45* bag.

I'm not following the cause and effect relationship with this statement, "when I was in Georgia last year in May I didn't even use bug spray so I do not think hot humid nights will be a problem." :confused: Help?