PDA

View Full Version : Changing: Smart Wool to Darn Tough

StillMoving
01-14-2017, 23:13
Anyone tell me which Darn Tough sock is most like the Smartwool Light Hiker?

Normally I drive to REI to buy stuff, but I'm buying just one pair of Darn Tough to try, so think I'll order online.

Thanks.

Venchka
01-15-2017, 00:43
Light Hiker Micro Crew Light Cushion. https://darntough.com/collections/mens-hike-trek/products/light-hiker-micro-crew-light-cushion?variant=30180579911
These are my hiking socks. I have no idea how they compare to the SmartWool socks.
The AT logo socks are slightly heavier than the sock above. I own these and sleep in them as needed.
https://darntough.com/collections/mens-hike-trek/products/atc-sock-micro-crew-cushion?variant=30180660743
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnnybgood
01-15-2017, 01:11
Light Hiker Micro Crew are the most similar. Darn Tough makes darn good socks so you can't go wrong.

hikehunter
01-15-2017, 02:57
The Darn Tough crew is very nice I have 3 pair. I would use a liner if hiking in snow where the temps are below 25 deg. My feet got a bit cold in Feb. 2015 when on my Georgia/NC section hike. There was 5 to 6 inch snow/ice and in the teens. I spent 2 days defrosting at Neel Gap. Trees and branches falling.

Traveler
01-15-2017, 07:28
If you've not tried Darn Tough socks and are changing from Smart Wool, you may want to think about a liner sock. When I tried the Darn Tough socks they were rougher than Smartwool and I needed a liner sock to cushion that and to keep my feet warm when the weather got cold.

peakbagger
01-15-2017, 07:44
Funny the previous poster had issues with the transition from smart wool to darn toughs, if anything I found the opposite. I used liners with smart wools and then switched to Darn Toughs and have never really used a liner except for winter. I go to annual factory sale and just buy what they have so I can recommend a specific model. The military versions do use a slightly higher synthetic blend and I find them a bit more coarse but not enough for a liner.

egilbe
01-15-2017, 07:51
I guess my feet arent that sensitive. I've worn out the heals on the two pair of smartwool socks I bought. I switced to darn tough and never looked back. Its becoming the only sock brand I wear, now. I try to buy a pair or two a year.

Traveler
01-15-2017, 08:01
Funny the previous poster had issues with the transition from smart wool to darn toughs, if anything I found the opposite. I used liners with smart wools and then switched to Darn Toughs and have never really used a liner except for winter. I go to annual factory sale and just buy what they have so I can recommend a specific model. The military versions do use a slightly higher synthetic blend and I find them a bit more coarse but not enough for a liner.

Its always amazed me the differences people experience in products and brands due to physiology and use.

Engine
01-15-2017, 08:10
Its always amazed me the differences people experience in products and brands due to physiology and use.

I'm in the same boat you are. I really want to like my Darn Tough socks, but my old pair of Smartwool are so much more comfortable it's hard not to wear them.

Traveler
01-15-2017, 08:32
I'm in the same boat you are. I really want to like my Darn Tough socks, but my old pair of Smartwool are so much more comfortable it's hard not to wear them.

I hear you! Sometimes I wonder how much of what I use/carry is out habit or long familiarity and try to force myself to reconsider, especially if there is a weight, price, or expanded use gain by making a switch. So I will try things here and there as new stuff comes into my vision. I have to say I have moved into new equipment and changed a lot of previous concepts and perceptions, but some things remain with me through that trial and error process.

StillMoving
01-15-2017, 08:55
Great info...thanks folks.

Been wearing Smartwool for a long time - never noticed any scratchiness...then again the issue military wool (? blend) socks never bothered me either.

I wear smartwools all the time - shorts, jeans, running (don't do that anymore), work, etc. Only time I wear different socks is when I need to get a bit more dressed up...which I'm not much interested in doing anymore. :D

I usually get about a year out of them - and yeah the heels wear thru. The last batch I bought seem to be wearing better and they seem more stretchy - ? more elastic or something.

Anyway...this will let me buy one pair of DTs and start wearing them. In a few months when I need new socks I'll know to stick with SW or go with the DTs.

Traveler as far as old habits: I have an old 20+ yrs LL Bean down vest that just won't quit. Has I think 2 holes that are duct taped. That thing is warm as all get out...I never leave home w/o it. I went to this clearance outlet mall once and for grins stopped in there. Vest was on the clearance rack for the stupid price of $15.00.

Tundracamper
01-15-2017, 09:27
For cushioning, I find SmartWool is better. I have about three pair of Darn Tough. Great socks. They just seem thinner from a cushion perspective than the SW, though they are not thin from a durability perspective. YMMV

Gambit McCrae
01-15-2017, 11:20
I have crappy feet. And this is not a post refering to a darn tough sock, but I have found that between smartwool PHD line specific to the medium and heavy libeup paired with their customer service that I cant get any better.

JC13
01-15-2017, 16:27
Its funny, I only get blisters when I wear the SmartWool hikers but none with the Darn Tough. I have DT in no-show, light cushion hiker and the boot.

StillMoving
01-15-2017, 20:55
For cushioning, I find SmartWool is better. I have about three pair of Darn Tough. Great socks. They just seem thinner from a cushion perspective than the SW, though they are not thin from a durability perspective. YMMV

Maybe a different model of the DT would work for you.

Thinking about it, guess I'll go to REI and get a hands-on before I buy...make the extra effort and do the smart move.

Venchka
01-15-2017, 21:12
Maybe a different model of the DT would work for you.

Thinking about it, guess I'll go to REI and get a hands-on before I buy...make the extra effort and do the smart move.

If you are on the break between sizes I think you should try them on.
Good luck.
Wayne

G-FOURce
01-15-2017, 21:29
I switched to DTs a couple of years ago and I love them. They dont bunch up or rub or wear out - ever. Love them. I still have two pairs of SWs but only wear them on short hikes now.

Odd Man Out
01-16-2017, 00:43
I have succssfully worn out a couple of my DT socks. Got one pair replaced, but bought a replacement for the other. I felt guilty cashing in on their lifetime guarantee indefinitely. I had another pair replaced due to defect. They developed a hole up on the ankle where there should be no wear. I pretty much wear nothing else.

llittle_llama
01-16-2017, 03:24
I have both and wear both completely differently. I have SW for shoes/5fingers back when I wore them (I only wear boots now) and DT for my boots. I love both but the SW have worn with light to moderate use and I can go a week without washing my DT socks by rotating them out and after 2 years now they still look brand new. The SW are much "smoother" and refined, but damnit those DT are some bad mamma jammas!!!

Doc
01-16-2017, 07:25
It's Darn Tough for me. Several years ago while coming through DWG I needed a pair of socks and the outfitter had DT available. Since then I have switched completely. Every pair of socks in my draw are the same color DT and I wear these every day, hiking or not. I do have 2 pairs of lighter weight DT in a pattern for dresser events that reside in another drawer. When I do happen to get a hole in one I put it aside until another sock shows up with the same problem and off they go to DT for an exchange. I bought most of my supply from Sock Addict when they offered a 25% off sale.

SkeeterPee
01-16-2017, 13:17
I was having a hard time deciding between smartwool and Darn Tough (DT). had a few pairs of both. the smartwool wear out much quicker. They may have been better in hot humid conditions, but I could never really make up my mind on that. At first I did not like the feel of the DT as much. but it grew on me. I actually prefer it now and have bought enough that it is the only sock I wear now unless I am really dressing up.

StillMoving
01-20-2017, 21:35
If you are on the break between sizes I think you should try them on.
Good luck.
Wayne

Good info...thanks.

Every pair of socks in my draw are the same color DT and I wear these every day, hiking or not.
Just counted...I have 11 pair of SW...all Light Hiker in grey. It's much easier when one gets a hole when they're all the same color. HAHA!

Dogwood
01-20-2017, 23:59
If you've not tried Darn Tough socks and are changing from Smart Wool, you may want to think about a liner sock. When I tried the Darn Tough socks they were rougher than Smartwool and I needed a liner sock to cushion that and to keep my feet warm when the weather got cold.

I thought it was just me that thought this.

BTW I've put holes in several pr of Darn Tough socks and they aren't even my goto hiking socks. Yes, I know about the guarantee. I like the Dran Tough socks though.

Bridgedale, Icebreaker, and FITS deriver mention too.

MuddyWaters
01-21-2017, 01:36
Most people have too many preconceived biasses and notions about socks due too marketing, and whats squishy and comfortable arouind town.

Dont need squishy and comfortable if footwear fits.

Need thin, unpadded, tightly woven socks. Cycling socks basically. These slide against shoe better than coarse padded sock.

When use a liner, this is what you are doing, making up for poor sock / footwear choice

Traveler
01-21-2017, 07:17
Most people have too many preconceived biasses and notions about socks due too marketing, and whats squishy and comfortable arouind town.

Dont need squishy and comfortable if footwear fits.

Need thin, unpadded, tightly woven socks. Cycling socks basically. These slide against shoe better than coarse padded sock.

When use a liner, this is what you are doing, making up for poor sock / footwear choice

I doubt if there is a one type fits all needs sock solution. My feet have never really gotten along well with thin socks, which required some experimentation with a lot of different socks to find what did.

Dogwood
01-21-2017, 11:09
I doubt if there is a one type fits all needs sock solution. My feet have never really gotten along well with thin socks, which required some experimentation with a lot of different socks to find what did.

+1..........

MuddyWaters
01-21-2017, 11:18

Feet dont get along with thin socks?

Or you feet dont get along with your shoe choice with thin socks?

Maybe its every shoe
Maybe its not
Only you can tell

ScareBear
01-21-2017, 12:41
Thorlo and SmartWool. Thorlo has never ever let me down on the trail and SmartWool ski socks have never let me down on the slopes.

They fit me and never fail me...YMMV...

StillMoving
01-30-2017, 21:09

I have a few pair of Smartwool cycling socks, and slippery is right. They're fine for riding, but walking...feels like my shoe is gonna shoot off my foot at any moment.

Obviously that's exaggerated sarcasm, but I don't like them for anything other than riding at all...not at all.

My first pair of Vasque - bought in 77 or so - the salesman instructed me to wear liners. I did for about a year then ditched them and haven't worn them since.

StillMoving
01-30-2017, 21:10
Thorlo and SmartWool. Thorlo has never ever let me down on the trail and SmartWool ski socks have never let me down on the slopes.

They fit me and never fail me...YMMV...

Thorlo and my feet do not get along. Just a personal thing but man do I hate the way they feel.

I even wear Smartwool when I ride my dirt bike (motorcycle).

StillMoving
01-30-2017, 21:11
I never gave it much thought or put it to pen until now...but I have way too many Smartwool socks. HAHA!

StillMoving
03-14-2017, 17:21
Finally made it to REI over the weekend and - purely subjective I guess - if just felt like the SMs would be more comfortable than the DTs. So I'll stick with the SM.

Salesguy times it just right and asked what I thought, I told him, and he said mine was a popular opinion...for what that's worth.

Kookork
03-14-2017, 17:53
I have gone thru two pairs of darn tough socks already. They lasted about a year including a 600 mile hike. They are good socks and even the light cushion has a lot of cushioning but I had a winter wool socks from bridgedale which lasted 8 winters as my exclusive winter socks. No other socks has come close to that Bridgedale socks(RIP). It was a technology very similar to the technology that is used to make felt so there was no netting involved. I was mourning for 8 days when finally a hole developed in that pair of Bridgedale socks.:(:(

Ps: I have the ownership of around half of Bridgedale company so I am possibly biased.!!!

Five Tango
03-14-2017, 18:18
I have some of each.I wear either one but find the Darn Tough to be a little bit tighter and the Smart Wool to fit better and perhaps be slightly more comfortable.You can't go wrong with either.

This may be the world's dumbest question,but why must they be turned inside out to launder?Does it really matter?

egilbe
03-14-2017, 19:53
I have some of each.I wear either one but find the Darn Tough to be a little bit tighter and the Smart Wool to fit better and perhaps be slightly more comfortable.You can't go wrong with either.

This may be the world's dumbest question,but why must they be turned inside out to launder?Does it really matter?

Inside
out cleans the dead skin cells and the attending funk that accumulate from rubbing against your feet. Otherwise, that grunge stays inside the sock when its laundered. Normal socks that are washed daily its probably not noticeably, but I can attest that hiking socks worn for a week or two take on the odor of a dead woodchuck.

Five Tango
03-15-2017, 07:02
Inside
out cleans the dead skin cells and the attending funk that accumulate from rubbing against your feet. Otherwise, that grunge stays inside the sock when its laundered. Normal socks that are washed daily its probably not noticeably, but I can attest that hiking socks worn for a week or two take on the odor of a dead woodchuck.

Thanks,I wear hiking socks everyday whether in the woods or not.I wondered if it was about body oils etc.

wiiawiwb
03-15-2017, 07:46
I switched from Smartwool to Darn Tough five years ago and like DT better. They just keep going and going.

peakbagger
03-15-2017, 08:54
I was going through my gear and actually have found two pairs of DTs that are wearing thin. There is not a hole in them, its just that the cushioning has worn thin. I got them at the factory sale and even though I could get free replacements, I wont as I have gotten several years of use out of them. I use these all the time not just for hiking so they have lot of use on them.

globetruck
03-15-2017, 19:32
I typically use smart wool phd but they tend to wear out at the heel and bottoms. Very comfy and great on the trail.

Bought my first pair of darn tough. They're not as soft, but I wouldn't call them uncomfortable. I think I might switch to DTs.

One Half
03-15-2017, 20:28
I guess my feet arent that sensitive. I've worn out the heals on the two pair of smartwool socks I bought. I switced to darn tough and never looked back. Its becoming the only sock brand I wear, now. I try to buy a pair or two a year.

yep. all our smartwool socks have worn through in relatively short amounts of time. My first pair of darn tough are going on a year and no signs of wearing out.

One Half
03-15-2017, 20:30
I typically use smart wool phd but they tend to wear out at the heel and bottoms. Very comfy and great on the trail.

Bought my first pair of darn tough. They're not as soft, but I wouldn't call them uncomfortable. I think I might switch to DTs.

I don't like the ones with the merino wool. too scratchy. I buy the other version with the coolmax.

soilman
03-15-2017, 20:38

I use to wear SW phd's. Like the fit and feel but they developed holes in the heels after about 500 miles. I switched to DT and agree that they don't have as soft a feel as SW. I have several pairs that have mucho miles on them and no wear.

Bansko
03-15-2017, 22:01
Anyone tell me which Darn Tough sock is most like the Smartwool Light Hiker?

Probably no Darn Tough sock, since DarnTough socks tend to be denser than inferior socks. They initially don't feel as comfortable as wimpy socks, but you learn to love them the more miles you put on them. I won't buy anything else these days.