PDA

View Full Version : Shopping for my first rain gear (first non military) and need some help

llittle_llama
01-15-2017, 07:38
So I've been on REI for a few days and found this set:

https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/105058/rei-talusphere-pants-mens-32-inseam

https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/898493/merrell-capra-rain-jacket-mens

Thoughts on these? Would you recommend something else/better/cheaper? Thanks in advance for any help :)

llittle_llama
01-15-2017, 08:04
Just found this as well:

https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/103033/marmot-waterton-rain-jacket-mens

orthofingers
01-15-2017, 08:14
Outdoor Research Helium II - very light, not a lot of features
Montbell Versalite - more features, not quite as light
Frogg Toggs - inexpensive, not super durable (but durable enough if you're not bush whacking), kind of a dorky fit
Rain Poncho - more air circulation, can cover your pack, can use as emergency tarp, not as warm especially in windy situations

Cheyou
01-15-2017, 08:30
For me Rain gear is the most difficult garment to buy . They all have some problem. To hot or don't breath, to heavy ,wet through, rip easy cost to much pack to big need the DWR to b re done .

I hate rain gear ! Thom

ScareBear
01-15-2017, 09:14
Your last jacket is clearly designed as a town coat, not a trail-worthy rain jacket...

Everyone has their own preference. For me, pit zips on the jacket for the AT are a MUST. There is simply no better way to vent off heat during rain, yet stay dry. You are going to want to compare apples to apples. Here is a good guide to waterproof/breathability among the different manufacturers. Click on "How Waterproofing Works" and scroll down to see the table of products and their respective qualities...

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/lp2/waterproof-guide/?osid=prodspec-bg

Marmot Precip rain pants are excellent, durable and reasonably priced. You are going to want at least ankle zips, so you can put the pants on while wearing boots. Don't forget to look for a 25 percent off coupon...

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/marmot-precip-pants-waterproof-for-men~p~116um/?filterString=mens-rain-pants~d~390%2F

As for jackets...I find that Mountain Hardwear fits me best and their Dry Q Elite is the best rain gear fabric. I have two jackets in it, but I also use both as backcountry ski shell jackets. They are light enough for the trail, but one has chest vents instead of pit zips. Chest vents work great at venting your core, except in the rain...so the electric green one is relegated to skiing and snow activities where it absolutely is not going to rain...YMMV so be sure and try some jackets on to get an idea of how they are going to fit...REI...just sayin...

T-Rx
01-15-2017, 09:34
You will get a lot of different opinions regarding rain gear, but for me Marmot precip serves the purpose well. Not the lightest or cheapest but keeps me dry and helps with warmth. And I agree with Scarebear that pit zips are a must with rain gear.

Deadeye
01-15-2017, 09:54
Yup, you'll get lots of opinions, so here's mine, since you asked:

The Precip is a fine windbreaker, but useless as rain gear.
Frogg Toggs are $20 at Walmart, they work well, they're light, and you can't beat the price
Unless you're above timberline (NH, ME), don't bother with rain pants. I've carried them, but never used them, so I stopped carrying them.
At least try an umbrella. I won't leave home without mine.

Old Hiker
01-15-2017, 10:17
Lots of opinions, lots of options, good luck.

Frogg Toggs ripped up after 200 miles for me in 2012. Went to a Marmot rain shirt and pants. Not sure if they are Precip or not. Pits in the shirt were important. Rain pants have zippers from the ankle to the waist which came in handy numerous times.

I didn't have to use rain gear many times in 2016 - pretty dry. I DID use it when it was cold and drizzly or foggy. It DID help with warmth.

I got a large piece of Tyvek from another hiker (long story with my tent) in May (?) that I turned into a type of poncho or tabard: hole in the middle for my head, down in front and over my pack in the back. Worked fairly well up to a steady rain in the summer to keep me dry for an hour or two. I quit wearing rain pants when it got over 75* or so. Just as wet from sweat as from the rain anyway.

I wanted to try a Packa, but couldn't justify the money, plus after sending him my pack size, he told me it probably wouldn't fit. I had my foam pad on the outside of my pack. Probably should have tried one anyway as I went to an inflatable that went INSIDE my pack after a couple of weeks.

Never could get an umbrella to work. I wanted one for the hot, sunny, open areas thru NY and PA, but when it was sunny and hot, there was too much wind. I also couldn't figure out a way to attach it very well to my pack strap.

nsherry61
01-15-2017, 10:19
For me Rain gear is the most difficult garment to buy . They all have some problem. To hot or don't breath, to heavy ,wet through, rip easy cost to much pack to big need the DWR to b re done .

I hate rain gear ! Thom
And a poncho eliminates all the above listed problems, while adding a few of its own of course.

hikehunter
01-15-2017, 10:44
I went thru the crazyness of finding good rain gear a few years ago. "PIT-ZIP" is the thing that I value in good rain gear after the water protection.
If "frogtogs" had pit-zips at $20 they would be the best rain gear. I got my rain jacket one size bigger, to give space for winter jacket.
I have also found that the mitten wind/rain shells work very well in colder weather hiking, even use them in mild weather when it rains.

Good luck, check out the Good will or such places to buy cheap stuff to test. If it works, great....if not you did not dump a lot of cash and you can move on.

egilbe
01-15-2017, 11:02
Think of rain gear, not to keep you dry, but to keep you warm. You are going to get wet, regardless, either from your own sweat or from the water rellancy failing.

saltysack
01-15-2017, 12:10
OR helium 2 has served me well for several years....layered over my wind shell is perfect for cooler weather...breathes better than others I've tried....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

soumodeler
01-15-2017, 12:41
I use the the ZPacks Challenger and like it. No fancy stuff, just a rain jacket. Super light.

I have an REI Rainwall and it works great, but is heavy.

The Precip is always a good choice.

nsherry61
01-15-2017, 13:07
Think of rain gear, not to you dry, but to keep you warm. You are going to get wet, regardless, either from your own sweat or from the water rellancy failing.
Or, you use a poncho and stay dry except for the extremities of your arms and legs. And, you keep your gear dry as well.

Leo L.
01-15-2017, 13:14
Or, you use a poncho and stay dry except for the extremities of your arms and legs. And, you keep your gear dry as well.
Whatever jacket I've tried or watched others wearing, person got wet, more or less.
The only way to stay dry as far as I found out is to use a rain jacket and a poncho. Poncho covers the pack, and also the very rain-sensitive area around the shoulders (where the shoulder straps of the pack are actually pumping water through the jacket) and the gap between back and pack.
Wear rain trousers or other leg protection in addition, if you like.

llittle_llama
01-15-2017, 13:35
I'm hearing a lot of "Embrace the suck" here ;) I like it :D Lot of options, lot more to look at now! Continue with the opinions and I'll narrow down my search now that I have a better idea what I'm looking for!

nsherry61
01-15-2017, 13:37
I'm hearing a lot of "Embrace the suck" here ;) I like it :D Lot of options, lot more to look at now! Continue with the opinions and I'll narrow down my search now that I have a better idea what I'm looking for!
Of course, the best thing to do it go out a play in the rain with what you have and what you think is best until you figure out what works best for you . . . probably not the first thing you invest in, sadly.

LongBlaze2019
01-15-2017, 13:52
I use Frog Togs and I also have a 9 dollar thin set from Columbia that does the trick as well.

Sent from my N9519 using Tapatalk

jeffmeh
01-15-2017, 14:04
If I were planning an AT thru, I would go with the Packa. I have used one and was very happy with it. You could combine that with cheap rain pants, or some chaps or a kilt. I agree with others that there is no perfect piece of rain gear, and waterproof and breathable really don't go together except under lab conditions, even with very expensive pieces.

kevperro
01-15-2017, 14:14
You will get more advice here than is useful. I never did any real backpacking until I got out of the military. I in the 1st/75th Ranger Battalion so all of my gear experience was based upon what I had used in the military and HOW I had used it in the military. My first real backpacking trip was in the GSMNP over spring break while I was in college. I carried somewhere between 50-60lbs and I'd bought all my gear looking for the cheapest "best" deal I could find. There was no Internet so my research was limited to a book I had bought by Chris Townsend. There was at least three feet of snow along the AT that year and I post-holed through 13 miles of it before injuring my knee.

Today I carry a base weight of around 11-lbs. I have culled my hiking gear based upon years and thousands of miles of hiking, and I know what I need and what I don't. There is no short-cut to this process. You will buy gear and go out and use it and find things you don't like about it. My advice is to read what you can but nothing will beat your own experience.

I'd buy the Frog Toggs $20 set for now because I carry those unless I know I'm going to be in the rain. The weight is hard to beat and the large oversize fit is actually a benefit most of the time. I ripped the crotch out of the pants the first use..... still use them. A little extra ventilation never hurt down there. I use them almost exclusively in camp. In fact I keep my rain gear stowed unless I'm cold. Keep as much as you can dry for camp. That is when you really need it.

StubbleJumper
01-15-2017, 16:29
In the summer, I carry Frog Toggs with me when I backpack, and mostly I wear them for warmth on cold mornings when I am eating breakfast and breaking camp. I have also worn them at the laundromat when every other stitch of clothing was in the washer or dryer. As long as it's warmer than 60 degrees and not too windy, I find that I'm happier hiking in the rain without rain gear. If it gets crazy windy or if the temps drop to the high-40s or low-50s, then I think about whether I'd be happier wearing rain gear which will be hot and wet or not wearing rain gear being slightly cool and wet (sometimes I just want to flip a coin to decide on which is worse).

In October, I carry a proper Goretex anorak with me as there can be a real risk that there'll be 35-degree temperatures, rain and a bit of a breeze. That combination of conditions can be deadly, so I like to have a good jacket with me.

Connie
01-15-2017, 22:29
I wish there were a thumbs up for this thread: it describes the situations you encounter, and then, what works.

If you can anticipate the conditions, and have the best layers you can adjust for the anticipated conditions you might wonder why more people don't enjoy the outdoors. It is so great to be perfectly comfortable and really enjoying the weather. I know I love it.

I like side seam 2-way zips, almost impossible to find.

I want the shoulder straps and my back protected from rain and a rain cape like LightHeart Gear Rain Hoody will do that. If I have a rain jacket with side seam zips, that accessory is just right. If not, I like a UST Emergency Poncho and cut off sleeves and rain-proof mittens strung together under the poncho.

I always like a long bill baseball hat for rain, after wearing a So'Easter rain hat backward to keep the rain off my eyewear.

I have liked loose-fit rain chaps, and now I like a wrap rain shirt and gaiters because I get good coverage with a poncho and good ventilation. I tie a belt around the poncho, if needed, but usually I set up shelter before then.

I added this because I wanted you to see how these options work for me.

I find a rain jacket and rain pants too warm for me.

nsherry61
01-16-2017, 01:00
. . . waterproof and breathable really don't go together except under lab conditions, even with very expensive pieces.
I've gotta comment on this a little.

I gave up on waterproof/breathable about 15 years ago because I could carry a light wind shirt and a light waterproof jacket that combined weighed less than a waterproof breathable piece, was more breathable when I wanted breathable, and by just putting the waterproof jacket over the wind shirt I had more waterproof when I wanted waterproof. . . because, all my very expensive waterproof breathable jackets always lasted about 1-2 years of being truly waterproof before they began to fail significantly.

As I've stated ad nauseum in these forums, I have settled on a poncho as, by far, my favorite rain gear at this point in history.

BUT, I believe there actually is a place for waterproof/breathable (WPB) jackets. Because, at least with the current, higher-end fabrics, they do breath reasonably well when they are dry and thus work reasonably well as a wind shirt if you are not a heavy sweater and you are not working too hard. Also, with the latest in super-light WPB, you are not paying a substantial weight penalty for the WPB jackets (although you are still paying a little bit of weight penalty over the lightest alternatives). And finally, WPB jackets are waterproof, at least when they are new, even if they are not breathable in wet conditions, they work as well as my non-breathable waterproof pieces do.

So, if you are relatively rich, and you are not too aggressive in your hiking style, an ultra-light WPB shell piece is a very viable simplification of the alternatives because a single piece of gear can work as both a wind shell and a rain shell.

llittle_llama
01-16-2017, 03:16
Well decided to go with my old standby. I dropped $60 (exactly to the penny) and bought a set of Army wet weather gear. It's the newer version like I was last issued a few years back before I got out and it worked pretty well for me. Pit zippers, CHECK. Under $100, CHECK. Be here in a few days, CHECK. Now all I need to do is get some waterproofing spray and go over them and I'll be in business! Should I do my pack cover as well? I have the Osprey 65AG and have the pack cover that it came with. Would I be better off getting a poncho and wearing that over myself and the pack as well or just the wet weather gear and the pack cover?

Leo L.
01-16-2017, 05:25
Ponchos can be pretty cheap and heavy, or expensive and lightweight, or anything between. Most of them work.
I have two of them, one that has a simple rectangular shape and can be used as an emergency tarp as well, I use it for dayhikes and carrying a small backpack.
And then I have another poncho thats designed for use with big packs, it has kind of a camel hump to cover the pack properly.

The biggest problem I see with the poncho, as with most other raingear, is to find the perfect point in time to put it on.
Too many times I find myself walking on in a drizzle that increases into a real rain and finally when I decide to put on the poncho I'm already soaked and the poncho helps only to conserve the wetness.
To find the best point to take the poncho off is more easy: When the rain ceases, I can pull the front piece and the hood of the poncho over my head and back and store the stuff in the gap between shoulders and pack. This way I can easily pull on the poncho again if the rain resumes.

Cheyou
01-16-2017, 08:55
Ponchos can be pretty cheap and heavy, or expensive and lightweight, or anything between. Most of them work.
I have two of them, one that has a simple rectangular shape and can be used as an emergency tarp as well, I use it for dayhikes and carrying a small backpack.
And then I have another poncho thats designed for use with big packs, it has kind of a camel hump to cover the pack properly.

The biggest problem I see with the poncho, as with most other raingear, is to find the perfect point in time to put it on.
Too many times I find myself walking on in a drizzle that increases into a real rain and finally when I decide to put on the poncho I'm already soaked and the poncho helps only to conserve the wetness.
To find the best point to take the poncho off is more easy: When the rain ceases, I can pull the front piece and the hood of the poncho over my head and back and store the stuff in the gap between shoulders and pack. This way I can easily pull on the poncho again if the rain resumes.

i have the same problem. I am continuing my search for an ultralight rain system. Now I use a wind jacket , silnylon skirt and an umbrella for longer distances . Ordered a Luke's ultralight silpoly jacket with pit zips. To tide me over a just re applied a DWR to a OR Helium 2 . For day hikes.

Thom

capehiker
01-16-2017, 13:01
I am a big fan of the poncho and use the Sea To Summit Ultralight Sil Nano Poncho/tarp at 6.7oz. It's great to throw over my pack and myself, and during breaks in the rain, I can flip the front over my head. If needed, I pair it with a Zpacks rain kilt. This is my set-up for late spring through early fall.

In the colder months, I generally use a rain jacket. I have been through more high end jackets than I care to admit and I wish I would've followed the advice sooner of going with Frogg Toggs. I buy the Frogg Toggs Ultralite 2 off Amazon for $12.00 (jacket only). I'm on my second year of the same jacket. The sizes run unusually large. I bought an XL and it weighs 6.4 ounces - the same weight of most UL jackets in XL. A few caveats: this is a jacket for groomed trails such as the AT/PCT. Trails that require bushwhacking need a more robust fabric. Aside from that, small tears are fixed in a snap with duct tape.

G-FOURce
01-16-2017, 15:59
Marmot Precip rain pants are excellent, durable and reasonably priced. You are going to want at least ankle zips, so you can put the pants on while wearing boots. Don't forget to look for a 25 percent off coupon...

On the surface, I would agree but only assuming you're of whatever average inseam the manufacturer thinks you should be for a given waist size. I have a longer torso and shorter inseam, so ankle zips don't work for me because the bottoms of the legs drag, fray, and collect mud in the rain. I much prefer elastic leg cuffs over zips bc they make more sense for me. Also, I have never been in a situation where I have ever wanted to take off or put on long, wet pants over wet, dirty shoes/boots. No offense intended, but I personally don't see enough value in ankle zippers. To each their own, though, and I am envious of anyone who can wear pants right off the shelf.

Leo L.
01-17-2017, 04:45
We usually have rain pants that have a full-length zip for both legs, so you can put them on and off while wearing heavy/clumsy/dirty boots.
This comes from mountaineering and skiing.
I've tried several of them, and found them a bit heavy and the zip fails to be really waterproof, at least in the long run, and they are pretty expensive.

So I ended up using Chaps, cheap, lightweight, really waterproof while well ventilating, and I find myself wearing them the whole day if rain comes on and off without a urgent need to take them on and off according to the rain.

Engine
01-17-2017, 05:47
AnitGravityGear jacket and pants. Reasonably priced, around 8 ounces for the pair, huge pit zips (elbow down to almost my waist), decent hood, and a couple of pockets. One of the best purchases I've made for gear.

swjohnsey
01-17-2017, 08:49
You will get a lot of different opinions regarding rain gear, but for me Marmot precip serves the purpose well. Not the lightest or cheapest but keeps me dry and helps with warmth. And I agree with Scarebear that pit zips are a must with rain gear.

Yep, and I like the full zip pants. Shop around. Look on ebay. I just got another set of precip, full zip pants red top for $125.

Traveler
01-17-2017, 09:38
Yep, and I like the full zip pants. Shop around. Look on ebay. I just got another set of precip, full zip pants red top for $125.

Ditto on the full length rain pants. I absolutely recommend getting pants with full leg zippers and a slider (traveler?) at each end of the zipper so you can vent the pants exactly as you need them for conditions.

swjohnsey
01-17-2017, 12:17
Well decided to go with my old standby. I dropped $60 (exactly to the penny) and bought a set of Army wet weather gear. It's the newer version like I was last issued a few years back before I got out and it worked pretty well for me. Pit zippers, CHECK. Under $100, CHECK. Be here in a few days, CHECK. Now all I need to do is get some waterproofing spray and go over them and I'll be in business! Should I do my pack cover as well? I have the Osprey 65AG and have the pack cover that it came with. Would I be better off getting a poncho and wearing that over myself and the pack as well or just the wet weather gear and the pack cover?

Army Gortex only weighs about 10 lbs. If weight isn't an issue it is about as good as it gets.

RangerZ
01-17-2017, 13:38
Army Gortex only weighs about 10 lbs. If weight isn't an issue it is about as good as it gets.

I sold my Army woodland goretex to a guy who was still in and bought a black version, same MILSPEC. It's great, almost bulletproof, but like he said it's heavy. I carried it this weekend but dumped it at the car when I looped by and I was sure that it wasn't going to freezing rain. Like others have said, it's usually Frogg Toggs for me. Pit zips would be nice, I don't think that I ever close them on the goretex.

Cheyou
01-17-2017, 13:49

Ha ha very funny .

poolskaterx
01-17-2017, 14:20
Gotta say I have had my share of fancy rain jacket$ (gore, apex, nanoPro, etc...) and I find that when it actually rains I use my frogg togs poncho, it keeps me and my pack dry with plenty of vent options; the poncho relegates my rain jacket to either an expensive wind breaker or an in camp piece to wear when precipitation is a constant. Frogg togs poncho is a cheap way to try out and see if you like em... you probably will.

Soggybottom
01-17-2017, 19:13
I love my new M10 Anorak from Patagonia. I have tried the Patagonia torrentshell, Sierra Designs light weight rain jacket and found this anorak. Well in one word, awesome.

Flounder940
01-18-2017, 12:34
Lightheartgear.com rain jacket and frogg togg pants.

Deadeye
01-18-2017, 15:43
I love my new M10 Anorak from Patagonia. I have tried the Patagonia torrentshell, Sierra Designs light weight rain jacket and found this anorak. Well in one word, awesome.

But... you have a soggy bottom...

Another Kevin
01-18-2017, 19:52
Frogg Toggs when the conditions won't destroy them. Marmot Precip when they will.

ctp631
01-19-2017, 02:25
I have an OR Realm and an OR Helium II rainjacket but they are for around town use only. I've always preferred a Frogg Toggs poncho + Wild Things WT 1.0 windshirt + Body Wrappers ripstop nylon pants, from Discount Dance Supply, for hiking/backpacking. No need to worry about a DWR failing:)

greensleep
01-19-2017, 08:48
Packa and cuben fiber rain kilt. Considering an umbrella.

llittle_llama
01-19-2017, 09:41
army gortex only weighs about 10 lbs. If weight isn't an issue it is about as good as it gets.
SON OF A..... I completely forgot about the weight of those things...

Soggybottom
01-19-2017, 22:16
But... you have a soggy bottom...

Lol