PDA

View Full Version : sleeping bag weight

Kendrah
01-20-2006, 10:10
What is considered heavy for a sleeping bag? I'm looking at 4.5 pounder. Is that considered 'heavy' for a sleeping back? (Trying to shop on ebay to cut the costs down a little. My goodness, sleeping bags are expensive!)

hammock engineer
01-20-2006, 10:20
Check out campmor.com. They usually have some in-expensive options. I think they have a couple in the 1-2 lbs range for a decent price.

K-Man
01-20-2006, 10:27
Hey Kendra, 4.5 lbs is SUPER heavy, unless it is like a -40* bag. My Western Mountaineering alpinlite 20* bag weighs 32 oz and the 35* bag I am going to pick up soon weighs 16 oz. I know they are expensive, but the old saying of "you get what you pay for" really applies to sleeping bags. I used a synthetic mountain hardware bag rated to 20* and after only about 30 nights of use there was a noticeable difference in its warmth. I would say it is now only a 35* bag. Others might disagree with me, but I wouldn't buy a used sleeping bag. Def look on ebay (and this website) for other ways to save through buying used things like pots, stoves, tents, etc.

Fiddler
01-20-2006, 11:06
Most important IMO is to get the right temp rating for your needs. Then make the choice of down or synthetic. Down is lighter but useless when wet, synthetic is heavier but still a little warm when wet. Lighter and better quality for either will be more expensive. This is your most important single piece of gear. Get the best you can afford. Yes, 4 pounds or more is heavy. Remember if you do a thru you gotta carry it on your back over 2200 miles.

Kendrah
01-20-2006, 11:35
Thanks all for the input! The site Hammock provided seems like a good site. I went to Kirkham's Outdoor Retailer last night to get a working price tag on all I needed and had kittens when they wanted $380 for a sleeping bag. It made me realize I should look on the internet for as much of this stuff as possible.

Alligator
01-20-2006, 11:37
Here's a good deal on a women's bag, the SD Rosa. It is similar to the SD Wild Bill. It's a good compromise for weight and price at $69.97.
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39173973&memberId=12500226

tsali
01-20-2006, 11:42
sierra trading post is another great place to find good deals. They always have something that your are looking for. I have bought a lot of gear from them and have saved a lot of money. The best part is it is all new. I had much rather start a hike with gear I have been the only user of. That way yoou know what it can take.

Alligator
01-20-2006, 11:44
sierra trading post is another great place to find good deals. They always have something that your are looking for. I have bought a lot of gear from them and have saved a lot of money. The best part is it is all new. I had much rather start a hike with gear I have been the only user of. That way yoou know what it can take.
And Sierra Trading Post has an excellent return policy.

Footslogger
01-20-2006, 11:50
And Sierra Trading Post has an excellent return policy.
======================================
We've got a Sierra Trading Post store about 45 minutes away in Cheyenne. I can attest to Alligator's comments. Best deals are at the end of the season on gear being replaced with new year models. Example: We both bought Mountain Hardware down parkas (a somewhat practical necessity out here in Wyoming) for about $100 a piece and they had a list price (at the big retailers) of well over $200 a piece. You've got to know what you want going in but there are huge savings to be had ...especially hanging on the rack in the store.

'Slogger

DrewNC2005
01-20-2006, 12:11
I just wanted to say that I do disagree with K-man - you can buy great new and USED bags on eBay. I have done it on several occasions. You can find some that have been used once or twice and the owner didn't like the fit, got another one as a gift, etc. and decides to sell it on eBay. You do run a risk of getting a piece of junk, but just buy from a respected seller and have them take pictures displaying the loft of the bag (if it's down). Example: a brand new western mountaineering megalite sold last night for about $230 including shipping. Not cheap, but it's an incredible bag and that is a significant discount (last time I checked) from the regular price. Someone mentioned that the sleeping bag is the single most important piece of gear you will buy and I definitely agree. I would not try to cut corners on your sleeping bag.

Alligator
01-20-2006, 12:40
Someone mentioned that the sleeping bag is the single most important piece of gear you will buy and I definitely agree. I would not try to cut corners on your sleeping bag.
To a point Drew. The bag should perform at or near your expectations. Consider this example. I recently purchased a Slumberjack -20 bag for $149, it's synthetic and comes in just over 4 lbs. I'll probably use it 2-3 trips a year. It'll be several years before the performance degrades. I reasonably expect to get five years out of it. Now it's heavier than a down bag, but a down bag at that rating is going to cost upwards of $300. A quality one much more. In five years I can buy another one and approach the life of a good down bag. To me, the tradeoff in weight and long term quality is well worth the price. I could even invest the difference;) . Thruhiking is hard on gear. Not to say it will ruin gear, but it does sound like its wearing. Just some thoughts.

Footslogger
01-20-2006, 12:49
What is considered heavy for a sleeping bag? I'm looking at 4.5 pounder. Is that considered 'heavy' for a sleeping back? (Trying to shop on ebay to cut the costs down a little. My goodness, sleeping bags are expensive!)
==============================================
Kendrah, I would say it depends a lot on your intended use. For a thru-hike of the AT I'd say that 4.5lbs would be considered a bit heavy. I've never done a detailed survey on this from my experience I would say that the "average" weight of a sleeping bag used on the AT (colder months) is between 2 and 3 lbs. In the warmer months that average probably drops below the 2 lbs level.

That said ...I have some cold weather bags that weigh between 3 and 4 lbs. I use these sparingly and for winter or car camping.

...and yes, sleeping bags can be VERY expensive. Good info on this thread though in terms of places to get better pricing.

'Slogger

hammock engineer
01-20-2006, 12:58
If you are interested in making your own here is a link describing how to make you own down sleeping bag.

http://www.backpacking.net/makegear.html

It also has directions on how to make other gear. I am planning on making quilts to sleep with for around $100 (all the materials are in shipping state right now). They should weight 1-1.5 lbs with 2" of loft. Let me know if you need good websites to order materials from.

DrewNC2005
01-20-2006, 14:24
To a point Drew. The bag should perform at or near your expectations. Consider this example. I recently purchased a Slumberjack -20 bag for $149, it's synthetic and comes in just over 4 lbs. I'll probably use it 2-3 trips a year. It'll be several years before the performance degrades. I reasonably expect to get five years out of it. Now it's heavier than a down bag, but a down bag at that rating is going to cost upwards of $300. A quality one much more. In five years I can buy another one and approach the life of a good down bag. To me, the tradeoff in weight and long term quality is well worth the price. I could even invest the difference;) . Thruhiking is hard on gear. Not to say it will ruin gear, but it does sound like its wearing. Just some thoughts.

Point well taken. However, you could buy it from an REI or Sierra Trading Post, and when it wears out, return it and get a new one. I, myself, have not abused the return policy in this manner but I know it is done. Technically, you could spend $300 now on a great bag, and then never have to spend it again. Return it when it wears out, replace it with another one just like it, and you haven't spent a dime. Just a thought.

Alligator
01-20-2006, 14:37
Point well taken. However, you could buy it from an REI or Sierra Trading Post, and when it wears out, return it and get a new one. I, myself, have not abused the return policy in this manner but I know it is done. Technically, you could spend $300 now on a great bag, and then never have to spend it again. Return it when it wears out, replace it with another one just like it, and you haven't spent a dime. Just a thought.
That would be unethical, so it is not really a good argument. But the cost of that service is built into the price anyway. Probably a small amount at STP, more so at places like REI and LL Bean.

DrewNC2005
01-20-2006, 16:09
That would be unethical, so it is not really a good argument. But the cost of that service is built into the price anyway. Probably a small amount at STP, more so at places like REI and LL Bean.

I don't think I understand you...the cost of what service is built into the price? I don't pay more for something at REI just because they allow me to return it if that is what you mean. I've bought plenty of things there that were cheaper than at another store (on sale or at the outlet site) and it still carried the same return policy. Also, the ethics of returning something because it wears out depends on the situation. If I spend $300 on a down sleeping bag, and I expect it to last me 10-15 years (which it should if treated right) and only lasts 5 years, then according to their return policy, it did not meet my high standards and they will replace it or refund my money. There is absolutely nothing unethical about that.

As I pointed out, however, I know for a fact that the policy is abused and noted that I have not done that nor am I condoning it.

Getting back to the topic though, 4.5 lbs is extremely heavy for a sleeping bag. I would much rather spend $100-150 more for a bag that is 2.5 lbs lighter (or more) and be confident it will perform when the going gets tough. As mentioned before, you're carrying this thing for about 2200 miles - $100-150 will seem like nothing the first night you go sleepless from a crummy bag's inability to keep you warm or the countless days you hike and wish you could cut weight.

Alligator
01-20-2006, 16:37
The ability to return something anytime is built into the price. The store has to account for a certain number of returns that they will absorb into their operations cost.

Technically, you could spend $300 now on a great bag, and then never have to spend it again. Return it when it wears out, replace it with another one just like it, and you haven't spent a dime.

It is unethical to return a product when it has exceeded its lifespan. I'm glad you don't condone it. If it wears out prematurely, that is a different story. The store may not give you a replacement either. STP prorated a pair of boots I sent back once. This was acceptable to me.

Back to topic also. For a person like Kendrah who is scouring Ebay for a sleeping bag at a reasonable cost, a bag like the Rosa, while heavier than a down bag, may be a good compromise. It's 2lbs 13 oz, which is over a pound and a half lighter than 4.5 lbs. It's only $70.00 and even if she had to buy a second one in Harper's Ferry, she'd still be ahead. But I think the bag would make it all the way. I'm sure there are other bargains out there too.

Frosty
01-20-2006, 17:01
I just wanted to say that I do disagree with K-man - you can buy great new and USED bags on eBay. I have done it on several occasions. You can find some that have been used once or twice and the owner didn't like the fit, got another one as a gift, etc. and decides to sell it on eBay. You do run a risk of getting a piece of junk, but just buy from a respected seller and have them take pictures displaying the loft of the bag (if it's down). Example: a brand new western mountaineering megalite sold last night for about $230 including shipping. Not cheap, but it's an incredible bag and that is a significant discount (last time I checked) from the regular price. Someone mentioned that the sleeping bag is the single most important piece of gear you will buy and I definitely agree. I would not try to cut corners on your sleeping bag.I wouldn't buy a synthetic bag used for the reason that K-man said. After use they get less and less warm. You might get lucky and you might not, but you can't tell from a picture how much original loft was lost and how much clumping, etc and how warm the bag will keep you. Buy a bag locally or from a place with a good return policy (Campmor, Sierra Trading Post, etc) and if you don't like it, bring it back.

The list on a megalite is $295, $310 for long. I bought a long at an outfitter for $290. When you add shipping to the ebay's $230, and realize that you bokught a used bag, the savings is not so great.

I have bought stuff on ebay, but once used gear gets over hlaf of new price, it becomes less of a bargain.

There are very resonably priced bags out there, particularly for short (under 6'5") people, thokugh for myself, paying extra for a light bag is worth it. Your mileage may vary.

Squeaky 2
01-20-2006, 17:05
kendra. you can have my marmot helium. it is second hand, but a wash and dry it will be as good as new! it is rated at 15f but it is more like 20f now. its yours if you want it.

gdwelker
01-20-2006, 17:41
You said:

Here's a good deal on a women's bag, the SD Rosa. It is similar to the SD Wild Bill. It's a good compromise for weight and price at $69.97.
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39173973&memberId=1250022 6

I say: I have the Wild Bill, and my wife has the Rosa. Both bags are rated to 20 degrees, but I sleep cold and can only take it to about 40, then need to add clothes to wear inside the bag to get to 30. Wouldn't take it further down than that. The bags weight about 3 - 3.5 lbs, and have held up very very well. Some loss of loft, but not much. The rosa has a fleece foot bag area that my wife likes quite a lot. Don't know why the mens' bag doesnt!
These are both very cost efficient bags, but don't expect to go to 20 degrees with them.

DrewNC2005
01-20-2006, 17:44
The list on a megalite is $295, $310 for long. I bought a long at an outfitter for $290. When you add shipping to the ebay's $230, and realize that you bokught a used bag, the savings is not so great.

The bag was new and was $230 including the shipping. Came complete with full manufacturer's warranty. $65 off a brand new WM bag is a steal any way you look at it.

gdwelker
01-20-2006, 17:47
This seems to be a good place for used gear, and has several above average sleeping bags at substantial discount:

http://www.geartrade.com

No affiliation, etc.

Alligator
01-20-2006, 17:56
You said:

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39173973&memberId=1250022 6

I say: I have the Wild Bill, and my wife has the Rosa. Both bags are rated to 20 degrees, but I sleep cold and can only take it to about 40, then need to add clothes to wear inside the bag to get to 30. Wouldn't take it further down than that. The bags weight about 3 - 3.5 lbs, and have held up very very well. Some loss of loft, but not much. The rosa has a fleece foot bag area that my wife likes quite a lot. Don't know why the mens' bag doesnt!
These are both very cost efficient bags, but don't expect to go to 20 degrees with them.
The bag is listed at 2lbs. 13 oz at campmor. I have a Wild Bill and I have taken it to below 20. But that includes my whole sleep system. I would rate it at about 25 though. Other people on other threads however stand by the 20 rating for the Wild Bill. I always wear clothes to sleep. The worst thing about the bag is the lack of a chest baffle, a real heat loss IMHO. I wouldn't say this is the best bag for that rating, just that the price was very attractive. A bag that gets really good ratings from posters here at WB is the campmor 20 down bag. The price is real nice on that one, but I think its about $120.

Fiddler
01-20-2006, 19:06
kendra. you can have my marmot helium. it is second hand, but a wash and dry it will be as good as new! it is rated at 15f but it is more like 20f now. its yours if you want it.

Squeaky: Is this the bag you used for your recent hike? If it is, and if Kendra doesn't take it, why don't you list it in the used gear forum (Buy/Sell Used Gear) for a week or two as an auction item for best offer? There might be a lot of people would put a special value on that bag, might be a good kick-off for your support funds.

Frosty
01-20-2006, 22:54
The bag was new and was $230 including the shipping. Came complete with full manufacturer's warranty. $65 off a brand new WM bag is a steal any way you look at it.There are plenty of good bargains to be had sometimes on ebay, but paying a guy you don't know 75% of list for an item you probably can't return if you don't like it isn't one of them for me. Maybe it's just me, but half price is my cutoff for ebay purchases. As I said in my email, your mileage may vary.

DrewNC2005
01-20-2006, 23:31
There are plenty of good bargains to be had sometimes on ebay, but paying a guy you don't know 75% of list for an item you probably can't return if you don't like it isn't one of them for me. Maybe it's just me, but half price is my cutoff for ebay purchases. As I said in my email, your mileage may vary.

Yeah - maybe I'm naive or something. I guess I just trust people and their photos more than the next guy. That said, I've only had one bad experience on eBay and it was my fault for not shipping with some sort of tracking.

Usually, I wouldn't pay 75% for something either on eBay. But I've never seen WM bags go much cheaper than that. It's just an option - a very viable one at that - for us poor college students.